1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Little Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by BonJenny, Jun 3, 2015.

1. BonJenny

BonJenny Member

Hi All!

My name is Jen and I am 27 years old. Over the past few years I have periodically snooped around the boards here - nothing really too serious. My brother swore by this community as he relied on the information and the people here heavily when he lost over 100lbs a few years ago, so I knew it was a good source to turn to.

At my heaviest, in 2011, I was 158lbs. I am 5'4", so you can imagine that that was not good. I'm not sure what did it - whether it was cleaning up my eating, getting out running, dropping some stress in my life or a combination of all three - but I managed to drop myself down to 123 by the beginning of 2013. I was trying to drop a little bit of weight, but I didn't really have a goal, plan or routine that I stuck to. Once I lose the significant amount of weight, I kept with what I was doing and dropped to my lowest weight in January 2014, which was 114lbs. This was a bit on the low end considering that I wasn't weight training and I did not have much muscle.

Over the past year and a half, I've managed to gain 20-25lbs of that back :spank:. When I started noticing weight gain, I immediately started evaluating my diet and exercise (or lack of), however no matter what I did, I noticed myself gaining more and getting rounder. It wasn't muscle that I was building (or at least not the bulk of it).

As of today, I weigh 137lbs, and I plan to change that. I'd like to get down to my goal weight of 120lbs, but healthy. My diet has been pretty good for the past few months - I have about two cheat meals per week and other than those, I really tend to eat a well balanced, low sugar, healthy carb/fat diet. My exercising has fallen off, so I really need to get back into it. I used to run a lot, and I love participating in obstacle races. Weight training I find boring, so that's what I have a tough time with.

I'm looking for a "buddy" to "train with me" and we can help motivate each other in whatever way possible. I'd love to hear if anyone has any "newcomer tips!" I look forward to using this community a lot throughout my new journey, including posting pictures and helping others if I have the ability! :D

Thanks all-

Jen

2. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

Hello Jen. Welcome. From my experience, quantifying my caloric intake and energy output was the most beneficial step I took to take me from one level to the next. I also found out that my previous guesses basically sucked. After all, barring significant health issues, "losing weight" is a mathematical process: Calories IN > Calories OUT = Weight Gain.

> no matter what I did, I noticed myself gaining more and getting rounder...

If you haven't calculated your BMI and TDEE using one of the many online calculators, start with that. These will be hard numbers based on your stats and activity -- no BS. None of the methods are perfect, but most will provide results that are very close -- within a few hundred calories.

Once you have these starting numbers, join myfitnesspal.com (MFP) or something similar. MFP will allow you to set your goals basically using your BMI and TDEE, but the best part of the site is the ability to chart your food per meal and establish the calories your consuming per food item / meal. It takes a little while to get used to, but I am now able to nail down almost exactly what I'm burning and consuming. Last year, for example, 40 pounds of fat I earned from being drunk and stupid disappeared. Without exaggeration, I am in better shape today than I was twenty years ago.

There's not much I can tell you that isn't covered in some of the forum "sticky" threads, one of which is the GravityHomers Guide to Fat Loss. It takes a while to read through, but the information is invaluable. There are other great "stickies" as well, and Reddit's Fitness subreddit has some great information in the FAQ pinned to the top of the front page.

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=19229

Last, this might not apply to you but alcohol is "bad" in many respects, and not just due to the raw calories. It also defeats the body's ability to process legit / useful carbs, leading to them being stored as fat. Many people treat alcohol as separately from other carbs for this reason. It took me a while to "get" this. An occasional beer or glass of wine is fine, but it can really catch up to you.

Good luck! The good part is that you've already lost weight recently, so some minor changes to your diet and lifestyle should put back on the right path.

3. BonJenny

BonJenny Member

Thank you for all of the great advice abuseguy! I am actually a member with MyFitnessPal and I love it. Now my plan is to be more disciplined in sticking with tracking on it.

I've calculated my BMI at 23.5 and my TDEE at 1,781. I also calculated my HR "fat burn zone " between 137 and 165 BPM. I have started targeting this area for HIIT workouts.

Luckily I drink on rare occasion so limiting alcohol shouldn't be too hard for me.

I will definitely check out GravityHomers Guide To Fat Loss.

Thanks!