1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jump rope cardio?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by ZxViCkYxZ, Oct 5, 2008.

1. ZxViCkYxZ

ZxViCkYxZ Active Member

I just tried jumping rope and after a few minutes I started to sweat and became pretty winded. Does anyone on here jump rope for cardio on a regular basis? I find it pretty hard to keep up, so I would imagine it can even be classified as HIIT.

Also can any one recommend a good brand of jump rope? I have this rope made by Reebok that my brother left behind and it kept coiling up after each jump interval. I've heard that Everlast jump ropes are durable and very reliable.

Thanks! :D

2. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

I went and got a jump rope recently to do the same. Oh my god, just a few minutes is a killer. It does seem like excellent cardio exercise but it would take a very long time for me to work up to any decent level.
    I got my jump rope at Sports Authority. I think it's nine feet long, and that's too long for me even at 5'8". I keep tripping up on it. My gym has one that is just right. I should see what brand that is.

3. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I do! :)

Well, I have not done it in a while but I did jump rope fairly frequently during my last cutting routine. I'm sure I'll use it again in the future. IMO it's great for cardio. :nod:

Not sure about a good brand, sorry. I just get cheap ones and when they break I get a new one. :)

Anyway yes you can classify it as HIIT I think. You can also add other exercises to it to make it more interesting. You could jump rope hard for 30-40 seconds and then do a light jog for a 1-minute cooldown, then repeat. Just one example, I'm sure you can think of a lot more.

Or, for some more ideas check this out:
    http://www.rosstraining.com/

He's got some good articles that might help you out.

And I think you'll enjoy this video :-)eek:):

4. ZxViCkYxZ

ZxViCkYxZ Active Member

Modmaven,

I'm not sure about the length of my rope, but I'm 5'1". I keep tripping my rope also, but it could be that I'm swinging the rope too fast or too slow. And yeah, it is definitely a killer :lol:. I would love to pick it up as a quick HIIT session for the day after I do legs.

GTX,

Holy sh!t, man :eek:. I can't even swing the rope fast enough to keep a jump interval flowing, but you can't see the rope anymore in Ross's video. I think I would just slice myself up with the rope if I even tried to do anything that he does.

#4 ZxViCkYxZ, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Been there! :lol:

6. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Jump Roping is tough. Waterbury has a workout where he reccomends 5min of it after a workout but I couldn't even do that. He wrote that working up to 5 straight minutes is fine. Just time your rests and try to decrease them, as long as you get 5 minute of actual work. Mastover also recomended 10 minute jump ropes.

I tried Waterbury's advice on working up to 10 straight minutes and it took me more like 20 :(

Thanks for posting that link Chris, I forget to check Ross' website everyonce in a while.

7. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Watching the first part of that video muted is pretty funny :p

But seriosuly, jump rope is a crazy good workout. Get a rope with ball bearings in the handle if you want it to go fast.

8. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

I jump almost every day. But I use it as a warm-up as oppossed to cardio. I couldn't imagine trying to go for 20-30 mins of jumping strait. That would be murder. I am up to about 7 mins and that has me sweating pretty good. A "Hyperformance" rope is what I got and it works awesome! It is adjustable for all sizes, you start off with a longer rope and as you get better/faster you can shorten it. Try different skips, front / back shuffle, side to side twist, single leg hops, double unders (these will SMOKE you), jumping can be a good warmup and some what fun/challenging. It is way more than jumping. Try looking for some BUddy Lee jumping videos on YouTube lots of good pointers.

edit: Ross is a FREAK at the rope. His training is wicked. Love his articles.

#8 erik.whitman, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  9. Phillyp

Phillyp Active Member

From my limited knowledge a rope should be under your arm pits if you are standing on it, that is a good length.

Also try and get a speed rope, basically a piece of plastic with small handles.

Have to go and get myself one now and stop using the ones at the boxing gym :lol:

10. Phillyp

Phillyp Active Member

Thats insane skipping!

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

If you didn't know he was jumping rope, you'd think he was just a really bad rave dancer.

I tried jumping rope, but found I didn't have the head room in my basement for it. As uncoordinated as I was already, that just made it impossible.

12. Phillyp

Phillyp Active Member

13. Antimatter

Antimatter Well-Known Member

I odn't think hes jumping rope- in parts his feet are on the ground for a good second.

14. Phillyp

Phillyp Active Member

If you also check where his arms are he is swinging it beside his body, its a coordination thing, you will notice he is moving back while doing it, its not that easy to do.

15. alliek

alliek Active Member

I've started to jump rope instead of running. (Or well, trying to run.) Anyway, I was told my a trainer in another forum that it will do less damage to your knees and stuff. But after watching this clip, I'm thinking now it will only help me lose weight if I skip that fast??? Any ideas?

16. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

I did a routine the other day where I went on the treadmill for 10 minutes followed by three rounds of 25 kettlebell swings followed by 60 seconds of jumping rope. My God, the sweat was just pouring off of me. It was definitley the rope jumping as that was the new variable to the routine.

17. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

Check this out: http://www.jumpropeinstitute.com/benefits.htm

The benefits of this simple but yet complex training technique ranks as an ideal brain exercise, bone builder, and as one of the most efficient ways of improving cardiovascular fitness in as little as ten minutes.

According to research jump rope for a minimum of five minutes a day can improve physical fitness and when you build to ten minutes of nonstop jumping at 120 RPMs it can provide the same benefits as the following:

• 30 minutes of jogging
    • 2 sets of tennis singles
    • 30 minutes of racquet and handball playing
    • 720 yards of swimming
    • 18 holes of golf

18. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Jumping Rope is one of my favorite excerises, i do my HITT with jump Rope. 5 minutes warm up jumping rope, 10 powers cleans, 25 yrd dash with 30lb dumbbells, 20 jumping jacks 10 push ups 25yd dash back to the jump rope and two more minutes of jumping then repeat six times. Its a great routine and Fun at the same time. its much more challenging then just a stationary bike and hits almost a total body work out. Try it you will like it. :tucool:

19. 1amin

1amin Active Member

I jump rope frequently. At first I was only able to do around 10 jumps because it was so tough, but after about a month or two I can easily do 100 jumps without getting winded.

I use a regular, old cheap jump rope that I found in the gym. It's not a fancy leather one or one that has ball bearings in it, just a cheap one with plastic handles and the rope part is a smooth rubbery material. I saw one like it at the store for about $2. I prefer the cheap rope to the more expensive models for some reason. It just works better for me, but to each their own.

When I first started I was just ridiculously tired from it, but my legs adapted pretty fast, and now it doesn't feel all that difficult. Just treat it like any other exercise where you are always challenging yourself to do more reps. I can do 500 now without stopping but I had to work up to that by doing sets of 25, then sets of 50, then sets of 100.

If you keep getting tripped up, it could either be the rope is the wrong size, or just because it takes a few weeks/months to get the coordination down.

If the rope is too long, which they usually are, then just take the handle and wrap it through the rope a few inches down to tie a simple not in it, on each side. It makes it shorter and you can easily undo the knot if it's a communal jump rope. I don't need to tie a knot in mine but I do have to hold my hands pretty low because the rope is a little too small.

Happy Jumping!