1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

July 2011 TSM: Gskarr

Discussion in 'Transformation Spotlights' started by John Stone, Jul 1, 2011.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

The excuse I hear most often when people tell me why they can't lose fat and get in shape is, "I just don't have the time!" If you are one of those people then I urge you to give this month's TSM interview with forum member Gskarr (Gonzalo) a read. Gonzalo is a father, a husband and a surgeon; his schedule is absolutely crazy! Falling into the same trap that many of us know (or have known) so well, Gonzalo allowed himself to balloon up to almost 250 pounds of mostly fat. The watershed moment came when his son was born in 2009. Despite his extremely hectic schedule, Gonzalo made the time because it was important to him and to his family.... well, just look at him now!

BEFORE PICTURES:
    a.2.jpg

a.1.jpg

CURRENT PICTURES:
    IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

Why did you decide to make a transformation?
    Almost all my life I was in really good shape. In high school I played basketball and in college I started with Karate (1996), training 3 days a week and becoming pretty good for my level. I got my Black Belt in 2001.

After that the studies become pretty intense and I suffered 3 injuries in a row. First I dislocated my right shoulder and then I twisted both of my ankles... all of this in a period of 10 months. Before the injuries I used to party a lot and I could eat whatever I wanted and always remained around 80 kg (176 pounds). I wasn’t ripped but I estimate that I was around 17% body fat.

During those 10 months I gain 20 kg (44 pounds). It was hard because every time I tried to train karate my ankles started to hurt me.

After that I finished med school and started my surgery residency, reaching the incredible weight of 112 kg (246 pounds).

After 2 years of residency I got married with my high school sweetheart and we started our family. We moved to Puerto Varas, a small town that is surrounded with volcanoes and a beautiful lake... a perfect place for outdoor sports. But I was in that spin of death: eat, sleep, eat again, sleep again... and always excusing myself with my job.

"Today I worked so hard... I deserve a good burger and some beers!"

Everything changed August 4, 2009: my son was born, and I knew from the minute he held my hand that I wanted to be the best I can for my family. But hey, I realized that I couldn’t climb a flight of stairs without becoming exhausted and that I could drop dead from a heart attack at any minute.

That’s how I decided that the man looking back at me in the mirror was going to be replaced with a better version.

What sort of planning did you do before you started?
    My plan started with little changes...

First: I knew that I was overeating, so I needed to start counting calories and I must count calories anywhere. So I download an iPhone app called MyNetDiary.

Second: I needed to lower my alcohol intake, so first I dropped beer, then I dropped the strong liquors and finally I managed to drink only 1 or 2 cocktails at important meetings. I’m not a fan of red wine, but if I must choose I try to have half glass of red wine.

Third: I started to move my fat ass, but I didn’t want to get hurt again... so, with the little changes in my diet I dropped to 98 kg (215 pounds). I was feeling lighter so I started with Karate and Kendo training.

Fourth: I knew that I needed to put weight lifting somewhere, but I couldn’t do it, there was no time. But the occasion presented itself: my karate and kendo schedule started to become incompatible with my job, so I started weight lifting at lunch time (November and December 2010).

What were your initial goals?
    Always little goals, First was dropping the alcohol in a progressive way, then complete all my trainings. When I started, my first goal was to drop from 112 to 100 kg, then from 100 to 95, then 95 to 90 and now I take a jump and aimed a 10 kg drop, from 90 to 80 kg.

What was your diet and supplement intake like?
    Supplements: Whey protein and creatine. I tried fish oil but I smelled like tuna all day so I dropped it (my wife didn’t like my new perfume).

My diet started with really basic concepts. I got my proteins from chicken, fish and red lean meat. My carbs came from rice, potatoes and veggies and my fats from nuts and olive oil.

I started with a 2000 cal intake per day with fat/carb/protein split of 20/50/30 until I stopped dropping weight in January 2011. That’s when I decided that I needed someone to help me in my corner, and that man was Aram Hamparian (Mastover).

What was your training like?
    At the beginning was kendo and karate, but in November and December 2010 I started weight lifting with a really basic program that the "trainer" of the gym made for me. During those 2 month I was stuck in weight and lifting progress.

When I started the program with Aram the things become wild: I started to drop weight like crazy and my strength started to increase pretty quick. Actually I changed my gym because I was squatting with dumbbells and the weights became too low--WOW!

Basically I was doing 3 days lifting and 3 days cardio.

What obstacles did you encounter, and how did you overcome them?
    Myself, myself and myself. I’m my worst enemy. I fight against me everyday. Some days I’m OK, but others I just want to grab all the food that I see and just eat it. That’s the hardest obstacle. But I have keep my eye on the prize and I will get it. I will not be sorry again, I will not lose myself again and I will not lose my family or make them feel embarrassed of me.

How has your life changed?
    OMG, a lot! First is the issue of trousers and shirts. I look a little goofy with my clothing right now, but I promised myself that I would not buy another pair of trousers until I reached my 80 kg goal.

Now I can do any physical activity like going up the stairs without feeling like I’m going to die. I can chase my son, and the best part: my wife said to me that I look sexy! That was NICE!

How did John Stone Fitness and/or the JSF Forums help you (if applicable)?
    Your story and JSF was the first real information that I could gather for my initial plan. All the macro concepts and the inspiration. You started the snowball of my transformation, and with Aram’s help I'm achieving my goals.

What advice would you offer to others?
    First of all, there is no magic pill. Find your motivation and don't let it go anywhere. Start with little changes and little goals. Work your ass off as hard as you can, because no one is going to do the dirty work for you. Love your family, love your husband or wife and be an example for your children. Like Nike said... JUST DO IT!

What are your future plans?
    First: Be happy with my family.

Second: Reach my goal of 80 kg.

Third: After achieving my second goal, drop my BF% between 12 and 14%.

Fourth: After third goal, BULK

Any closing thoughts?
    JSF it’s a great place to find friends, help and motivation... Please use this to make your life happier.

Thanks to Aram for his help, motivation and patience

Congratulations, Gonzalo! You are living proof that everyone who wants it badly enough can make the time to eat right and exercise. You're a true inspiration!

2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Amazing!

:claphigh:

Good job, Gonzalo. You are not the same person in those picutres... so much improvement. You'll hit your goals. I think you have proven you have what it takes!

Congrats!

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Gonzalo was a dream client with a "no excuses" mindset. I've heard every excuse in the book, but this man is a surgeon who truly has "no time" yet achieved what he set out to do. I was very motivated by his work ethic and this inspiration carried over into my own training when I felt like taking a day off from training or loosening up on the diet.

Congrats, Gonzalo! :tu:
    :bow:

4. jsalazar

jsalazar Active Member

you are a completely different person today!

amazing

:tucool:

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

A well deserved recognition. Congratulations Gskarr!

6. smalltex

smalltex Well-Known Member

7. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

amazing work!! :tucool:

8. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Fantastic effort Gonzalo, your life is so much different now. You look like a different person. Dedication. patience and persistence....you have it all in spades.:claphigh::claphigh:

9. T-1 Sella

T-1 Sella Active Member

Congrats!

That is truly an amazing accomplishment! Good for you! Keep up the hard work and the dedication to your goals!

10. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Amazing transformation! Way to go!!! :tucool:

11. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Very, very inspirational...thank you for your story...nicely done!:tucool:

Bob

12. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Active Member

Excellent work! Nicely done!

13. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

great work man!

14. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I have been following your journal only for about 2 months now but I can say that your approach to this life change is very apparent in your posts still today. Fantastic work on the transformation. It is amazing to see how far you have come.

15. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Excellent work. Amazing transformation. Keep it up!

16. mastover

Gonzalo is currently doing vascular surgery beginning at 6:15 AM until 12:00 midnight. :eek:

However he is still training as per schedule and eating according to his macro's. Unbelievable. I will state here, with all honesty, that this is a man with a drive and determination that should inspire us all to greater heights. This is truly an amazing man, and if anyone out there is half assing or playing games, or looking for tricks or gimmicks... just look to what Gonzalo is doing. Unbelievable...

Thank you, Gonzalo, for your continued motivation. You are a person who drives me to be a better bodybuilder, and a man...

17. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Gonzalo, congratulations on your fantastic transformation. You look great. I pray all went well with your surgery today.

18. mastover

Hi carguy, Gonzalo is a surgeon who performs surgery on patients for very long hours each day. He was not undergoing surgery, himself. :)

Makes all his accomplishments even more impressive. :nod:
    And he ain't done yet. :cool:

19. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

I wish there was a way to point all the people who say "there aren't enough hours in the day" to this post. Kind of puts the message on your site about the hours in a day vs. the hours needed to train in perspective.

20. Gskarr

Gskarr Active Member

I want to thank all of you for your kind words

And i want to thank my family... they are my inspiration and motivation

Thanks for your words Aram, i have 1 kg left to reach my goal (yesterday my weight was 81 kg) and thanks for your wisdom and support

Thank you all JSF