1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

JSF Vegas Get-Together 2014

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by IROC-Z, Mar 12, 2014.

1. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Back in December of 2009 a small group from JSF met up in Las Vegas for several days of food, fun and spirits. At the time, we talked as a group and came up with the idea that it would be fun to do another get-together in five years. I'm starting this thread to guage how much interest is out there in making this happen. The tentative date would be the weekend of November 15th and that would probably extend a few days into the following week. Please respond to this thread if interested. Thanks!

2. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member

I'll be there. :tucool:

3. LoneStarChick

I plan on arriving on the 15th, running on the 16th, and then staying a couple of days. I have looked at hotels, but I haven't booked anything yet.

4. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Hey IROC! Hmm...this sounds like it could be fun.:nod:

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thinking about running the half with wifey. Will talk with her later today.

6. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Okay, here's where we stand right now:

LSC - yes
    Seltzer - maybe
    jchantelau - maybe
    IROC-Z - maybe

Anybody else interested?????? I expected this thread to have 50 - 60 responses within the first hour!:D

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

We're all older now, and slower to respond.

I am a definite Maybe. I am very interested, but often have work travel around that time.

Jaer
    really wants to attend a JSF meetup!

8. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Maybe, depending on our fall vacation plans. Fall has ended up being the time we take our joint time off - but we really like the SW! Could maybe fly into LV. We shall see. :cool:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Spoke with wifey last night and she's up for the meet up and running her fall half mary in Vegas. So, while we're not definite we're a big step closer to attending. :)

10. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Alright, more people interested! This is looking like it could definitely happen.:tucool:

LSC - yes
    Seltzer - "almost" a yes
    jchantelau - maybe
    Jaer - maybe
    Chopaholic - maybe
    IROC-Z - maybe

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Although still on the fence, I went to the race website and found out that registration is closed until April. LSC, I assume you signed up on their one open day on 12/12/13. I also looked into flights and to fly in Saturday and leave on Tuesday non stops will cost me about $450 a person. Higher than I thought, but I can live with it. Have done nothing with hotels yet. As long as the room is clean my main priority will be where everyone else will be staying. I'm assuming that no matter where we stay we'll be able to conveniently get to the start and from the finish of the race back to the hotel.

To be transparent, although I've been to LV twice (long stories) I don't gamble so my motivations to be there will be the social interaction of the meet up and running another half mary with wifey and whoever else from the JSF community decides to run. At this point I know I'm not fully recovered from my fall injury, amazing as that is, and won't make a decision about LV until I can get a few runs done.

I'm thinking positively and believe I will be in Nevada come November.

12. LoneStarChick

Awesome, Paul!! I hope y'all do come! I'd love to meet y'all! :clap high:

I haven't paid for the run yet. I just have the money set aside for everything. The plan was to run the full marathon, but I hurt my knee a few weeks ago, so I'll have to see how that looks as time goes on. I'll definitely do the half if I don't feel that I'm able to do the full. I'll get a hotel room as soon as we know where everyone is staying...and as soon as I look at prices again. I'm definitely doing this, but I know I can't afford the high-dollar hotels. It helps that I will be driving and not spending money on airfare, though.

I will be arriving on the 15th, and I was thinking of leaving on the 18th.

13. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Paul, check out vegas.com. I've booked several trips through them in the past and they always seemed to have the best rates for flight + hotel of anybody out there.

If I am able to attend, it's looking like I would probably end up having to fly in on Sunday afternoon and then fly out early Thursday morning. That's about the only way I can make this fit into my work schedule. I'll more than likely stay at The Flamingo, but that's definitely not set in stone.

As far as the gambling thing goes, on our last JSF Vegas gathering, I gambled less than $100 for the entire trip. We spent the bulk of our time socializing.

14. LoneStarChick

Paul, I found this on the race website concerning the Flamingo Hotel, in case you're interested in staying in the same place.

Distance from: Start Line: 1.9 Miles • Finish Line: 0.2 Miles • Expo: 1.8 Miles

Like you mentioned, everything is pretty close. The hotels that are closer to the start line are farther from the finish line and vice versa. Last time we went to Vegas, I felt kind of far from most other JSFers. This time, I'll wait to see where others are staying and book a room nearby. The Flamingo looks fine to me.

15. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Interestingly enough, I was just speaking with my best girl about Vegas yesterday, and she mentioned how her boss takes her sister to Vegas since her husband doesn't like to go. Since my wife doesn't have an interest in going, I muttered under my breath "I wish I had a brother." And poof... my JSF brothers (and sisters) are now planning a trip!

To be transparent, there was actually very little gambling by the group while we were there. A typical day looked like this: we'd gather around the nickel video poker machines in the lobby of a hotel (most of us stayed at either Circus Circus or the (now gone) Sahara across the street, drinking free Bloody Marys while we waited for everyone to show up. Then we'd try to come to some kind of plan for the day (which usually was several plans) and divide up into groups depending on what plan everyone wanted to follow. We'd wander off and do our thing, and then meet up around happy hour somewhere for more drinks. We'd plan again and then wander off in our different directions, with a general idea of where we would end up at the end of the night (usually at the poker machines again).

As far as the race goes... I could see running the half, but not the full. The half looked like a lot more fun... it stays on the Strip. The full has you make a right turn at the end of the half, run 10k straight into the desert, turn around and run 10k back to town, and then finish. BTW... if I recall, last time it was COLD in Vegas at that time of the year (was it in November?), so plan accordingly...

I'm putting the dates on my calendar and will keep posted to this thread for updates. Someone should give Ecrivain and Guava a shout... has anyone mentioned this to Deja yet?

16. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

yah.....i'm a maybe. i'm doing vegas in two weeks AND hopefully moving sometime in the fall.....but if i can end up with the free time i will definitely be there!

17. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

This is looking real good! Seems to be enough interest that we could actually make it happen.:tucool:

LSC - yes
    Seltzer - "almost" a yes
    jchantelau - maybe
    Jaer - maybe
    Chopaholic - maybe
    phillydude - maybe
    dejavued - maybe
    IROC-Z - maybe

Just in case anybody wants to do some price comparing, I checked on some packages for flight + hotel and here's what I came up with. My flight out of Milwaukee would have a short layover in Chicago, I would be staying four nights (Sun-Wed), and this is the best pricing I could find for the package (flight + hotel).

Flamingo = $415 per person
    Paris = $440 per person
    MGM = $445 per person

Just curious if anybody else has checked pricing and what kind of deals you may have found?

Philly, I agree completely, we need to get this invite out to Guava and Ecrivain. I will send Ecrivain a PM on Facebook, but I don't have a contact for Guava. Are any of you in contact with her?

18. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm looking at three nights (Sat, Sun, Mon) with a late night Tuesday departure... $360 for Circus Circus (I like that end of the strip). The flights from Baltimore are great... leave 8am arrive 10:30am (plenty of time to get to the expo for bib pickup) and depart Vegas at 10:30pm and arrive 6am (so I can go right to the office). I'm liking this more and more...

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

A quick check of Vegas.com showed some good prices so even though I haven't started running it's looking more likely that wifey and I will attend.

20. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Yes, she's on FB. I'll message her.