1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

JSF Running Club

Discussion in 'Running' started by phillydude, Aug 11, 2014.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I made reservations for Marra's for 6 people at 5pm on Saturday... with the option to expand that to eight if Jaer and my wife decide to attend.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks for setting that up.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I guess this is really going to happen. :D

My plan is to check into my hotel and get to the expo about 3. Dear son is arriving in Philly at 3:20 according to the bus schedule. Since he's coming home with us afterward instead of going back to school he's going to have a suitcase and his laptop which I'm sure he's going to want to drop off at the hotel. I'm not sure if I'm going to just have him do that and meet us wherever we are or if I'll go back to the hotel; it really depends upon if the hotel will allow him to enter our room. Either way it won't be a big deal since the hotel is only about 3/4 of a mile from the expo.

4. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Assuming we can find each other in short order at the expo and don't take too long, we should be able to walk up to your hotel so the boy can drop his things before we head to dinner. We may even have time to do some tequila shots!

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I just messaged everyone my cellphone #. I plan on getting to the expo around 3. It may be helpful to pick a meeting point. Say the entrance to the bib package pick up area?

I just reviewed the security information in the race day program. You can see it online. There are a limited number of gates to enter the starting area. Also, I need to find a way to carry my phone, wallet, and cliff blocks since backpacks are not allowed. A couple of crazies makes it tough on the wrong people.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Tequila...sounds like a fine way to prepare for a race. :lol:

What about a little fanny pack or wearing a garment with pockets?

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I will be using a water bottle belt. I also had a promotional phone holder thingy that I was able to figure out how to attach to the belt.

See everyone soon.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Can't write anything about the weekend that hasn't already been written, but I do have a question. I looked at the results and the difference between net, which I assume is chip time, and clock, which I assume is gun time is at most only about 2-3 minutes and often less. I know for a fact that we were about 22 minutes behind gun time. Am I reading this wrong? Although we couldn't see it on the course, did the organizers account for each wave in the published report? Just asking from a curiosity POV because my total time was very close to the stated net time. Pace time, as always is off, because I never cut the lines exactly and add a coupe of extra tenths of a mile while on the road.

9. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I noticed the same thing... and I'm also confused by that fact. I have to assume that the chip timing is now sophisticated enough to recognize that each wave has its own "gun"... and that no matter if you started in the wrong corral, it automatically put you into the wave closest to when you crossed the starting line. If that's the case, it's a good system... because there was probably a 2-3 minute difference between those in the front of the wave (right up at the line, waiting for them to sound the gun) and those in the back (like us, walking our way up to the timing mats). I'm guessing there were about 2000-3000 people per wave?

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

For those who may not want to undertake the rigors of training for 26.2 or 13.1 miles here's an alternative that's only 1 mile.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/sports/cue-the-chariots-of-fire-theme-with-burps.html?ref=sports&_r=0

The beer mile. Chug a beer, run a quarter mile, rinse and repeat. The male world record is 4:57 and the female record is held by a 45 year old mother of six at 6:28. The article also mentions a steeple chase race in Manitoba where participants have to drink shots of vodka after clearing each water hazard. Seven in total.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

:dreamy:

:eek: I can't run a sub 5 min mile without drinking.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

As you well know, me neither. As I was beginning the article I thought the race was more of a joke than something serious, but apparently it attracts some very serious runners. Who knew?

13. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I say we set one of these up as the spring JSF Running Club event.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

And this is how such JSF events begin. :ohnoes:

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

17. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    The first 200 entries sold out in less than 24 hours. :nod:

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

I have decided to do a spring half marathon. This will get me back running earlier this year (at least the weekend of the race :lol:). They have a 9K, half, and full.

http://www.codelrun.com

Unfortunately I didn't register yesterday when I found this. I missed the fact that yesterday was the last day for the $55 half, now it is $85. :bang:

Oh well.

If anyone is interested let me know. We haven't invited any friends to stay with us that weekend yet. I would be able to reserve our two guest bedrooms. Normally we start arranging weekends with friends in March.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Looks like a nice race, but there are no spring marathons or 1/2 marathons this year for me.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

In Seltzers journal there is further discussion regarding the Coastal Delaware half.

Several people are in the lottery for the Broad Street run which is the same day. If they don't get in Broad street there may be others running the coastal del ware 9k or half.

here is a copy of my post from Seltzer journal for more information.