1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

JSF Running Club

Discussion in 'Running' started by phillydude, Aug 11, 2014.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    For several years now, a few of us have been meeting up at various races around the country to socialize and provide support during longer runs (marathons and half marathons). Members of the group have done races in New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Columbus Ohio, and Las Vegas already... and as the un-official ringleader for most of these get-togethers, I'm always looking for fun destinations (Chicago has been mentioned from time to time)...

So if you are planning a marathon (or even a half) in the spring of 2015, post up your plans and you might find yourself with company! And if you are signed up for one of the races below and aren't on the list (or if I have you down by mistake), or want to come out and cheer us on (bring beer), by all means let us know!

JSF Running Club Fall 2014 Schedule

Baltimore Half-Marathon October 18th - PhillyDude, M@
    Philadelphia Marathon November 23rd - PhillyDude, Seltzer, MacDiver, Shamie

#1 phillydude, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Good luck on the runs this fall! I never really got back to running regularly since the 2008 half marathon we did. People here know my struggles and the years I spent running or trying to run. The annoying thing now-a-days, is when I meet someone new and I tell them, oh I can't really run, it doesn't work out for me, I get that look, that runners give non-runners, like they think I'm just a wimp or I don't know how to handle the pain of running. The normal pain of running I loved. It was the best. I could thrive on that pain.

The many years of long distance running that I did actually comes in quite handy during crossfit workouts. Being used to the pain of exhaustion.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

The Philly Distance Run we did in Sept. 2008 was the first long distance race I ever participated in. I still have and wear the shirt that Phil had made for each of us.

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Based on a conversation in Seltzers journal, I think we should come up with a "prize" for the last JSF finisher for Philly marathon. It probably should be something that would make someone not want to win it :D but that they would gladly take home and not throw it away.

Suggestions from all are welcome.

#4 macdiver, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm thinking a stuffed turtle.

Or perhaps a turtle trophy with Philly 2014 last place JSF'er.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I like the turtle theme. And I'm writing this with a high degree of certainty that whatever prize is decided upon it will be residing in my house. :nod:

Philly, Mac, and Shamie what are your pre and post race plans? I'll be coming down Saturday and will be staying until Monday. After the expo my day is wide open and it would be nice if we could have a pre race JSF meetup and possibly an early dinner somewhere. I haven't booked my hotel yet, but have looked into possibilities. My first choice is the one I stayed in for the 2009 race, the Embassy Suites which is about 3/4 of a mile from the start/finish. All are welcome to come over and leave stuff there before the race and shower after the race. Also, wifey is coming with me and dear son is threatening to take a bus from college so that he can meet us on Saturday.

As my plans solidify I'll keep everyone informed.

Any other JSFers planning to run the half or the full that day? If so join us; if not and you live close, as Phillydude suggested cheer us on and bring beer. :D

7. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    As for me, I am open for post-expo/pre-race festivities. Dinner would be a lovely idea... let me know if anyone has specific desires for cuisine and we can discuss as we get closer. My family may be inclined to attend as well... much will depend on school activities and the whims of the boys.

Post-race, my plan is to enjoy a cold beer or six. I will certainly take you up on the offer of a place to stash a cooler and a change of clothes. Again, my family may be in attendance... much will depend on the weather and the whims of the boys.

As for spectators (or even possible additional runners), I put a word in Paddy's journal this morning. Jaer ignored my earlier suggestion that he join us for the run, but could possibly be convinced to come into the city for Saturday dinner. And I think Homer still has family in the area...

p.s. Whatever "prize" we come up with should be passed on from year to year (or even race to race)...

#7 phillydude, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm now booked at the Embassy Suites Hotel at 1776 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, the same place I stayed for the 2009 race. So yes, bring post race stuff on Saturday and after the expo we can drop it in the room. Afterward, just like in 2009, you and anyone who cares to can come back to clean up before getting on with the rest of the day. One caveat is that all will have to wait for a while for me to finish. :blank:

Phil, I understand your family coordination; we'll work it out as the race date gets closer. I don't remember the name of the place you took us to before the 2009 marathon when all four Seltzers were in attendance and we went to a bakery that starts with a Z after dinner, but we were happy with that as well as Maria's that we went to before the 2008 PDR. Just throwing that out there.

As Shamie wrote in my journal, it's getting real now. :scared:

9. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    2009 - Varallo's Restaurant, followed by Varallo's Bakery next door. The restaurant is now closed, but the bakery is still there.
    2008 - Marra's. http://www.marrasone.com I'm always up for that place. The Fettuccini Zingara is to die for. As is everything else.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

A restaurant/bakery starting with a Z instead of a V: close

Marra's instead of Maria's: close.

But wrong both times. :lol:

Should have checked these before I posted.
    _MG_7121.jpg

_MG_1219.jpg

Plenty of time to figure out logistics.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

If I'm not in DC for work stuff that weekend, I'll glad come up to Philly with cheers and beers.

Jaer
    will be at a work conference, most likely.

12. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Then you should get together with M@ for cheers and beers. :nod:

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :eek: I forgot about that shirt. I have to check. I'm sure I never got rid of it. Will find. :nod:

:lol: :claplow:

:nod:

I feel badly that I'm not going to be able to join you guys in Philly. I don't have a marathon in me this year and the travel budget is blown. We'll see what 2015 brings. :nod:

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

I am certainly up for meeting at the expo and dinner afterwards. I'll also hang out after the race for a few beers. I'm not sure what my wife's plan will be. She most likely will do a girls weekend in RB. We try to take advantage of weekends where one of us is tied up to do those things.

15. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    From the 2008 Philadelphia Distance Run :D

Philadelphia Distance Run 2008 014.jpg

From left to right: Phillydude, Zenpharaohs, Seltzer, M@, Ecrivain, Gravityhomer, (and GH's wife - I can't remember if she's a member or what her username is? :scared:)

I found my shirt! :spaz:

#15 M@, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I have my version of that picture. Great memories.

FYI, GH's wife's name is Ruby. I don't believe she's a member here.

17. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
  18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    As do I... in fact, it just might fit again at this point... it certainly will by race day. I need to clear a couple things on my schedule but I should be good for it. By the way... you forgot to mention the kilts.*

[​IMG]

* It's hard to look like a tough guy in a skirt... but I'm trying in that pic.

19. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

M@and Philly both SUCK!

I am out of running. I was training for the Disney Marathon in 2010 and kept feeling something in my hip that never healed. Last year, I finally went to the Ortho thinking that i had torn my labrum. He said "Nope, you have arthritis." Now telling someone who is 41 that he has arthritis....you about to get swung at.
    So, my running days are over. Over the past year the pain has gotten worse. I figure that in about 3 year, I will have to have hip replacement.

I still miss being up in the DC/B'more area.

Oh, M@ and Philly, I got married! Found myself a sugar-momma....Heather is a doctor! So, I am stuck down here....

20. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member