1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

JSF Main site redesign and other new features

Discussion in 'Technical' started by John Stone, Aug 15, 2009.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Today I wrote about the main site redesign project I just started, and a couple of other new projects that are in the works. You can read the article here.

If after reading the article you have comments or suggestions, now is the time! I will take all feedback into consideration.

2. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

Hey John, this idea pertains to the forums, but I think you said you were planning to do some upgrading of them as well, so, I was thinking it would be very cool for the search feature in the forums to be more adaptive to how people type in their search phrases. When you search for something on google, you can spell half of the word and button mash the rest of it and it still somehow knows what you meant, yet with the forum, you have to spell the words 100% correctly for it to work. Now assuming the OP spelled a title wrong etc. you will likely never find what you are looking for. I don't know if this technology exists in the forum world or not, but if you could apply that to the JSF forum, it would be a great improvement. Ps. I barely understand how computers work, so forgive me if this is an idiot idea:D

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah. I don't know about the forum software, but this can be implemented with a phonetic algorithm such as Soundex, Metaphone, NYSIIS, etc.

4. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

As a long time visitor, just wanted to say I am psyched about upcoming changes. looking forward to it.

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

The forum upgrade will be to the latest version of vBulletin. I'm not aware of such functionality in the latest version, or even a hack that would accomplish what you are asking for. Right now my focus is 100% on the new web site design, and so the forums will not be upgraded until the site redesign is completed. I'll start a thread when I am ready to upgrade the forums, so please remind me again at that time and I'll look into it for you. :)

Me too, GH! It's going to be lightyears ahead of the current site. :spaz:

6. Jmov

Jmov Active Member

Good news, and what an coincidence, just yesterday I was thinking about that John should renew the site and its design, and then I see the news! :lol:

Wordpress sounds a good choice for the site's backbone. At least if you're not going to go overly complex and need integrate a lot functionalities. For a blogging platform it seems to translate to a CMS pretty well. I'm really curious to see how final site will look alike and feel.

What comes to the gallery, have you John considered doing it without Flash? Not that there was nothing especially wrong with Flash these days, but same kind of interactivity and effects can be achived with JQuery for example. With JQuery handling the effects & interactivity the gallery would be more accessible and most likely lighter to use too. As a gallery backend Wordpress has an excellent plugin called NextGEN gallery. NextGEN together with JQuery (for interactivity and eye candy) would do great.

I hope you'll have a great and creative design process! Looking forward to see the results :tu:

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

As I was working on the project I came to the exact same conclusion. :lol:

I am using NGG for the images, and I really like it.

One thing I'm struggling a bit with, however, is adding effects and captions that I find pleasing to the gallery image thumbnails.

I've had some success using the "singlepic" shortcode surrounded by WordPress's "caption" shortcode. Using this method I was able to size the thumbnails the way I like, add a decorative border around the thumbnails, add the captions below the image and use shutter to open the full image.

What I'd really like to do is accomplish all that using NGG's "gallery" shortcode instead of needing to add each image manually. The problem is that NGG's captioning system doesn't work as well as the WP captioning system (the captions spill past the edges of the image and also requires that I set the number of image columns on a site-wide basis). Further, I don't see any way to add drop shadows or decorative borders around the gallery image thumbs.

I hope that is somewhat clear. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I figured it out! :spaz:

8. donj02

donj02 Well-Known Member

Isn't web development and/or programming addicting? For me it is, once I start I can't stop until the project is finished. Seeing results is such a reward. Now if I could just translate that into getting in shape again I'd be set.

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Here is a very early partial screenshot of the new site. As you look at this, please keep the following in mind:

- The navigation menu, navigation submenu, background black-to-blue gradient and header are all pretty much done. That was a lot of work, as I had to design and create it all myself. As you can see, the basic color scheme is blue, silver, black and gold.

- No real work below the the navigation bar/navigation submenu has been completed. All of the colors, layout, design and features will change. Right now I only have things there to test basic functionality.

- The "Featured Content" section (where the car is) will rotate images every 8 or 9 seconds, and a cool semi-opaque text descriptor will slide up over each image describing the featured content. All kinds of things will be featued here, from the TSM to articles. By the way, the car is just placeholder artwork.

- My daily news update will be featured each day at the "Featured Content" spot (along, of course, with any other items that are being featured that day). An image (I still have to design it) will rotate into view and the semi-opaque black box with the first 100 or so characters from that day's update will slide up. A click will get you right to the actual update.

- My daily news archives (along with that day's news update) can also be accessed from anywhere on the site with a single click from the main nav menu ("Blog").

- As may be evident from this early screenshot, I'm trying to take the spotlight off of me and make the site a bit more universal. I want people to be able to see my transformation and read my updates, but I want JSF to offer much more than that.

teaser.jpg

Comments, questions, feedback and suggestions are welcome. Just keep the above notes on the screenshot in mind. :)

A lot of the work I'm doing right now is centered around getting all the new features working and porting over the existing content (this is a huge job!)

Some of what the new JSF will offer:
    • RSS feeds.
    • Social network integration. Share and save whatever you like using Facebook, Digg, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Reddit, MySpace and many more. Email to friend and bookmarking features as well.
    • Integrated comments and discussions on my daily blog updates.
    • Integrated comments and discussions on any posted item (articles, recipes, news stories, Transformation Spotlights, etc.)
    • Greatly enhanced photo section with multiple albums and attractive image viewer.
    • Pingbacks/trackbacks.
    • Integrated multimedia features.
    • Forum integration (the latest forum posts will show on the main page and you will be able to post comments on the main site using your forum account, etc.)
    • The actual content along with tags will make finding what you are looking for a snap using the new Google-powered search engine.
    • Much, much more....

10. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

:spaz::)

11. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Wow that looks great John. :tu:

I get in those moods as well. Get into a project and you can't let it go until you finish it. It's like your brain keeps thinking of better things the more you work on it so your afraid to stop.

Can't wait to see this in action :tucool:

12. jdb-44

jdb-44 Active Member

Uhhhh....

Can't think or respond properly...still drooling over car...:)

13. Chester

Chester Active Member

Looking Awesome John. I love change. One request that at least I have never seen on your site is calculators and converters. A lot of people on here are from different parts of the world and state their weight in pounds, kg and I even seen "stones" a couple of times. This is just a very tiny thought compared to what you are doing but thought I would throw that in there. Cant wait for the finished product!!!

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

This is an excellent idea, and we're going to be incorporating basic stuff like calculators into the all-new JSF BodyShop web site. The calculators are just scratching the surface, though: there are going to be some incredibly useful features on that site. But that's a whole other subject. :) I'll be releasing more details about BodyShop in the coming weeks. It's going to be awesome.

15. carddante

carddante Well-Known Member

Completely. Bad. Ass.

Can't wait John. You should take all 26 days of vaca now and finish this puppy up.

16. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Cool. I like it. :tucool:

17. DuneJunky

DuneJunky Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to RSS!

18. solarphoenix

solarphoenix Active Member

site is looking sharp John.

19. Mick Mauldin

Mick Mauldin Well-Known Member

What is RSS? Thanks...It looks great by the way.

20. Goneguy

Goneguy Active Member

If that's just the front, the rest ought to be great. Outstanding job. Wish I had the talent for doing something like that. Got an ETA in mind?