1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Journey to Healthiness

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Lootrock, Dec 7, 2010.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been there...dozens of times. You're beaten when you give up. Until then, you're on track.

Good job posting and holding yourself accountable! :tucool:

2. Lootrock

Lootrock Well-Known Member

Thank you! I really needed the motivation. I'm pretty excited about this challenge. I'm also getting close to cooking again. Once that happens, I'll be so much better off.

3. Lootrock

Back again! Since the last time I posted, I've somewhat maintained some sort of exercise routine on and off about every other week. I have no aversion to working out, but I notice when I get really busy with something else that I value like school or research, I just get tunnel vision and I drop my routine. I realise that I can only focus on a few things at once in order to do them effectively, but even the little bit of exercise that I've been getting has allowed me to retain the muscle I've built, but my diet has helped me keep that nice huge gut and man boobs that I love so much(NOT!). About a month ago, I broke the 200lbs barrier that I haven't reached in years. I had intended to change my eating habits already but that certainly was a motivator. As of about 3 weeks ago I did just that, subsequently garnering a loss of 10 lbs :claphigh:.

For the first time in probably a few years, I have been going food shopping on a semi regular basis; getting fresh fruits, my good ol' cheap but non-calorific banquet tv dinners, yogurt, etc. I've also been making protein shakes regularly. The only thing that's missing from my tried and true diet is the cooking element. It's always been a huge barrier but I think I can manage it. It may seem melodramatic to some of you, but I've had a strange relationship to food and food preparation my whole life. Hell, when I got in decent shape a few years ago, I took off for the semester so I could get my health in check because I know it takes a lot of energy to change my dietary habits. Now that I have some free time before I transition into a new work situation, I'm going to kick back into gear my routine of alternating running days and days I lift.

Here are my current stats as of 9/11/14:
    Weight: 195
    Measurements(in inches):
    Chest: 40 5/8
    Arm(parallel to ground): 14 5/8
    Stomach: 39 1/4
    Waist: 37
    Thigh: 25 3/4
    Butt: 41 7/8

So those are my glamorous stats for now. I'll update them every month. Here goes nothing!

4. Lootrock

Look who's back in town! As long as this site will be live, I don't think I'll ever completely abandon it. As with all of my worthwhile ventures, the journey is never-ending; either in active pursuit with fervor or in dormant passage, floating away into daydreams marked with inactivity - though alive in spirit: Thus marks my return to JSF! :claplow::guitar::claphigh:

I started working out again about 2 months ago or so. I've been trying to exercise 4-5 times a week for 15mins at least - even as little as 2 minutes as long as I do it. Even 30 seconds! It's the thought that counts and the relief of pressure that allows me to do it. I actually have this deal with many of my hobbies. Each day I take a turn concentrating on one thing more than the others. I get away with working out longer than 15mins because I can study while I take my breaks - pretty sweet compromise. Getting back into shape is going to take much longer this way, but all of my hobbies that are included in this circuit are more or almost as important as this therefore it's an excellent compromise whose alternative objective is to create consistency and cement these elements into my life. I started taking measurements last month:

3/15/16
    Arm 12 1/8th
    Chest 36.5
    Stomach 36.25
    Waist 34
    Thigh(near glute) 23.5
    Forearm 10.75

4/5/16 ==> Today
    Arm 12.25
    Chest 36.25
    Stomach 35.5
    Waist 34.125
    Thigh(near glute) 22.75
    Forearm 10.50
    Butt 38.25

I was feeling particularly thin this evening so I decided to take measurements to feel good about myself even though I know I'm cheating. My official date for measurements in April is the 15th which given the trajectory of my stats, it looks like there might be a marked difference in stats for just the passing of one month, unless I start gorging. I do not eat a lot. That is essentially how I've been losing weight over the last couple months aside from exercising. I take stimulants for ADHD which remove a decent part of my appetite. Appetite or no appetite, if one could forgo eating, drinking, and sleeping for the rest of one's life, I'd be the first to sign up. Life's far too interesting to sleep and hunger is just a constant nagging compulsion to feed on things out of necessity, all of which I'd rather not pay for. Not surprisingly, the only think that concerns me about my current situation and that which I want to work on is getting more sleep and also getting enough protein. I have a variety of vitamin supplements that definitely help compensate for not getting all my nutrients through eating, but I really need to get better about making protein shakes and such and have at least 2 of those per day. The good thing is, I'm not as fat as I usually am when I come back to JSF and to exercising in general. I feel more satisfaction as opposed to discontent with how my body looks at the moment. My man boobs aren't out of control, but my stomach is annoying me. My arms are decent, I love the strength of my abs though my overall strength is not that great. No big deal for now. I don't have a scale anymore but if I had to guess, I would say I'm about 188. Weight has little importance to me as I live and die by measurements and so I will only weigh myself if and when I find myself near a scale from time to time.

I intend to post here everyday give or take a day or two here and there with my exercise routine of the day along with it's time measurements, but also details/notes on the other activities in my activity circuit. I'll section that other portion off at the bottom of the posts as not to confuse or detract from the fitness part of the journal -- for anybody reading/mods, do you think it would be inappropriate to keep an extended journal on here as an addition to each daily post as I have proposed? As in, would it be against the rules? I think solidarity and cohesion of my entire activity circuit is important and each activity in one shape or form affects the other so having one central location, especially on here, will have an incredible influence on the reinforcement my work and fitness ethic as well as time management. My next post will be an example of what a given daily entry might look like so feel free to let me know.

5. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Welcome back! :spaz:

Please do. Your journals can be whatever you want them to be. Go nuts, have fun. :-)

6. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Alright!

7. Lootrock

Thanks man, you rock!

Managed to make some protein shakes today as well as take in a good amount of protein from a meat platter of sorts that I had today. I had a very short workout consisting of some ab exercises, dumbbell bench presses, and some butterflies. I like the very low stakes placed on doing each daily task. Even if I were to do something for 30 seconds, it's better than having done 0 seconds, plus that task and information related to it remain floating around in my mind. I inevitably do spend more time on each activity than allotted, but I want to cut down on that because the sooner I finish the circuit, the sooner I realize what needs to be the point of focus will be for that day whether it be based on priority or for joy. Today, the bare minimum was done for several things as my time management was very poor primarily related to a need for sleep. My goal for the next two weeks will be to rely much less on stimulants, catch up on sleep and resume a more normal schedule continuing on the path that I've carved out for myself. Tomorrow I pull a double at work so I'm unsure just how much I'll be able to get done through multitasking because I'm really uncertain about energy levels. Goal for tomorrow is to just survive the day at work trying not to die of boredom and endeavor to get a workout in along with some other work done before I hit the hay. Tonight's format differs from what I had in mind as I cannot spend much time on this submission, but all short ones will probably just be in paragraph form with no exact figures as such. Anyhow, signing off for now. Goodnight, JSFers!

8. Lootrock

Forgot to post last night! Shows how much I adhere to my day planner since I forgot to put this on it. Anyway, did some ab exercises yesterday and today with the very limited time I had. Thursday was an overall successful day considering how tired I was so kudos to myself. Today(Friday) I basically slept the entire day, recouping on sleep and repairing my body so I'm pretty content with that. I am pulling another double on Saturday which is really in just 6 hours and I'm hoping to get a quick workout in at night before I hit the hay as I did last night. Until then JSF...

9. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I have to say kudos as well. Amazing.

10. Lootrock

Thanks, my man!

Out of hibernation: I haven't forgot about JSF in the slightest and in fact have been making mental posts. This past week, basically since just before my last post, I've just been catching up on sleep. Sleep --> Work --> Sleep --> More Work, I feel great though - almost completely rested up. Looking forward to getting back on a normalish sleep schedule so I can plan my days out and make sure that I'm getting enough sleep and nutrition so I can exercise without worrying about exhausting my body. Today and yesterday, I did do some ab exercises which felt great. I worked on my bi's as well, finally bumping myself back up to 20lbs dumbbells; hard to believe I dropped so far below haha! Tomorrow night I will work on chest most likely if I'm not super exhausted from a full day's work. I gotta say, it feels good to be working again and having the opportunity to exercise and improve my health. I've created many good habits - now I need to stay consistent and find a way to navigate my current obstacles. I'll likely make another post in the morning.

John Stone likes this.
  11. Lootrock

Yesterday was a rather productive day: worked a double at one gig, gained a prospective client at another, and cleared up a situation at my third gig. I also spent nearly the entire day studying spanish at my desk while making phone calls. One of my gigs is working at a call center and half of our recipients only speak spanish so little by little I am picking it up passively; it's absolutely incredible. I've never learned a language this way before and I spend quite a bit of time studying other languages so it's just a strange phenomenon to me to be able to pick up a language passively with minimal studying. In any case, I didn't really sleep much before or after work, staid up all night so I won't dare try to work out as I my body needs all of its resources. Stims or no stims, I've gotten really really good at staying awake for extended periods of time. I am however improving on those detrimental habits and looking forward to my next workout session when I'm nice and rested up. Tomorrow or Monday at the latest should be a go for that, which reminds me, I need to make a protein shake before I head to work this morning! If I don't pass out when I get home, I'll hopefully make another post.

12. Lootrock

Coming out of another hibernation. I am somewhat surprised by how much rest I need/ed to catch up on. Its really annoying and I'm not sure how long it'll continue, but I think I have a game plan that will eventually get me to where I want to be on the sleep track. I need to make it concrete first and add it to my day planner. Today was a decent day, did a very short full body workout, something I never do. Since I hadn't really come out of my sleepy and irregular eating mode, I haven't had a good good workout in maybe 2 weeks. Today's was decent though and also my nutrition was pretty on point so I'm pretty psyched about that. Tomorrow, I'm working a double so I'm thinking Saturday I'll be able to get a good one in perhaps. Also, I had my vitals and stats checked and I'm 12lbs lighter than I thought I was. I'm at 176 which is maybe only the 5th time in my life I've gotten this light. Now, I'm not gonna kid myself and completely buy into weigh-in and ignore my measurements because they could be much better and I rely on my measurements for a true gauge of where I'm at, but what my weigh-in of 176 tells me is that I've lost a lot of muscle or I should say rather that typically when I reach this weight, I look much leaner. I'm not worried. I have patience and I look forward to building my body hopefully up to a place I've never seen it before.

John Stone likes this.
  13. Lootrock

Booyah! Two days in a row, I'm a natural at this logging thing. Today, I must say went pretty well. I completed the entire circuit, woot woot! Did some ab and lat exercises. Boy do I love working on my lats! So much fun. Anyway, pulled another double today at work and basically studied chinese the entire day as it was pretty dead on the phones, per usual this time of the month. I've been waiting for a few weeks now to really sink my teeth into a nice and long review session for chinese. Trying to reach conversational level again; particularly in a rush this time because I want to chat with one of my new chinese friends around the corner and was supposed to come back much sooner. I plan on moving to China next year and getting it to a decent level before I get there is near the top of the list so that way by the time I come home after a year or two, I will have permanent fluency. That's the goal. Well, thats all for now folks. Hope I can get semi decent rest tonight and have a decent day tomorrow. Goodnight JSFers!

14. Lootrock

Decent day today; worked another double, got a little exercise in at the end of the night - ab exercises and some bicep work; only finished part of the circuit though. I have no problem doing it, but I've been having the issue of getting too stimulated before bed, then I can't sleep so doing it at the end of the night which is usually when I have the free time to do it has become a bit of an issue. If I do them as soon as I get home then I should be ok since I usually chill for a few hours before I hit the hay, and by a few I mean probably 5 hours :lol: Nonetheless, sleep schedule is getting better and I'm getting more protein in my diet. Feeling leaner by the day! Still need to work on time management though. Goodnight JSFers! and Good Morning for some of you :guitar:

15. Lootrock

Overall today, I got a lot done: many things of which I am proud. All the elements that are a part of my circuit mean a great deal to me and so doing even a few minutes of each brings me immense joy; particularly when the majority or all of them are done as it has an accumulative effect and naturally doing a little bit of nearly everything that completes me as a person is very fulfilling. My time management today was still very poor. I didn't sleep much and I stalled on many things early on in the day except for exercise actually. Today I did abs and traps which in comparison to the last several weeks has resembled the closest to a total workout - at least in the intensity and effort department. I still need to pull the trigger on going food shopping so I can get back to having full workouts as a result of having several meals a day again. All in all, today finished exquisitely. Until next time, goodnight JSFers!

16. Lootrock

Phenomenal day today. Completed everything I sought to do and in greater quantity, though that tendency is really veiled procrastination - an effective one because I'm still doing something important/on my list and needs to get done/things that need to be fleshed out; however I have a fairly strict guideline regarding time allotment and that is that the same time amount of time will be spent on everything equally and for a very low amount like 1min/5min/10min/30mins/etc etc, after which the most pressing/important/fun things that I am inclined to do more of, out of the set activities, can be pursued. However, I routinely break this guideline because all of this stuff is fun or the completion of an important task produces a great feeling of relief and productivity that is very intoxicating. After all, these are all things I need to do right? Wrong because I'm implying in my reasoning in the moment that this one activity is more important than the entire program. I often feel this sense of righteousness when working on a task that more ostensibly affects my short and long term quality of life and decide that I shouldn't be limited by this guideline and feel a sense of justice. Just another form of procrastination or shortsightedness. It does take a lot of effort to switch between all 15 activities included in the circuit, not including work, and the inability to manipulate inertia has been a recurring issue in my life, but aside from the inherent awesomeness that is the circuit, switching between activities, many of them being on the opposite ends of the spectrum subject matter-wise, has been developing my mental flexibility.

As for health related things, I had a much more healthy eating regiment today and got a really good exercise in. I worked on my chest and abs. The good thing about exercising in my room is that I can study in between sets which allows me to workout for longer - otherwise I'd have to do a very short but high intensity workout. Any exercise is better than none and I hope to never lose that sentiment. Now, I'm off to study some more Chinese, hopefully to a satisfying amount. I'm getting super close to being conversational again and the excitement is high! My lack of attention to chinese and the subsequent diminishing of competency within the language has plagued me for ages so now I feel like I'm recouping on my investment and adding a significant catalyzer to my desired life experiences. Well, that's all folks. For anyone who's reading reading this, I apologize for the Kierkegaardian length sentences :confused::jk0: Goodnight, JSFers!

volleyball and John Stone like this.
  17. Lootrock

Haven't posted in awhile, however as usual, JSF comes to mind daily and is with me in spirit. I have been developing better sleep hygiene. Has made a made a big difference in keeping things in balance in life and allowing me to workout a bit more often without worry of not getting enough protein due to a more regular eating schedule. I'm getting much more comfortable with my chinese and that feels phenomenal. I also began shooting my documentary today which is a huge a milestone. I have put a temporary suspension on my daily circuit training to allow for breathing room and live a slightly more relaxed lifestyle as I create more regularity. The next few days I will not be able to get a lot of sleep so it will set back my sleep schedule, but it will be worth it in the long run. Too many damn birthdays of very good friends in a row at the same time. Despite all that, I feel like I'm in a decent place for success. Been also mixing it up with the ladies for the first time in awhile. Haven't missed a beat. I've held steadfast to working out at least a little bit each day and that's affected my mindset in a very positive way. Gonna keep that it. Until next time JSFers! Stay motivated and live the life you dream of!

18. Lootrock

Ho ho ho, back again I am. Feels like its been a lifetime. Currently, balancing work and other obligations have been a bit much to handle so I haven't been logging like I should be. BUT, I endeavour to do better! Barring today when I had to carry bags equating to four gallons+ of milk a mile home, I haven't gotten in a good workout in awhile. That's soon to change though. I'm not worried. I just have to navigate myself more adeptly. Today was filled with much glory. Without going into much detail, let us simply move forward in continuance of this :D

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Catching up around here. Sounds like things are going well and I love the positivity in your posts. :tucool:

Four+ gallons of milk...a lot to carry and a lot to drink.

20. Lootrock

Moving forward, I've been working entirely too much and its thrown me way off track in addition to my over-indulgence in Chinese studies. I'm very close to where I want to be in Chinese and financially so I've been sprinting towards the finish line, however, often going 60 degrees off course. In any case, I've had some time to reflect on that recently so I'm making the proper changes to restore balance. I got in two short workouts today and yesterday. Worked out abs both days; lats yesterday and bi's today. I also got a full circuit in today which is the first time in maybe 2 weeks and it feels great! Circuit training, meditation, healthy sleep & dietary habits = high self efficacy & quality of life. On that note, take it easy JSFer's and keep on keeping on!