1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Journey to Healthiness

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Lootrock, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Lootrock

Lootrock Well-Known Member

Alright! I'm excited to be starting my first online fitness log with pictures and all that jazz. I will use this log as accountability and for measuring progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this is me right now
    Measurements: (everything is in inches)
    1/9/11
    Arm 13.18
    Forearm 11.25
    Chest 38
    Butt 40.25
    Waist 36
    Thigh 24.75
    Stomach 36

I will do tomorrow as I have forgotten to not eat beforehand :P. I plan to take pictures and measurements once a month, though I may consider shortening it depending on how frequent my workouts become. Ok, thats all for now folks.

#1 Lootrock, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Lootrock

Alright so it has been almost two months and I am grateful to say that at least I have not gained any weight! :lol: My workouts still aren't quite regular yet and I imagine my weight lifting might be that way at least for another month or so. I'm going to buy a jump rope today so I can start doing some simple cardio in my room along with my ab workouts. I find that I want to do cardio most in mornings so I can't wait to my jump rope so I can make this a nice replacement to running for the time being since it's so crappy outside here in Philadelphia. My diet is a little strange, but very much so on the healthy side of things. It mainly consists of oatmeal, protein shakes and fruit. I'm working on expanding my horizons on that end so I have more flexibility and greater nutritional value in general. February 7th marks the 2 month mark and I shall post some pictures along with my stats.

(Edit)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Measurements: (everything is in inches)
    1/9/11
    Arm 13
    Forearm 11
    Chest 37.75
    Butt 39.25
    Waist 34.25
    Thigh 24.85
    Stomach 35.5

Not much of a difference in photos, but definitely a difference in stats. Looks like I've lost a little muscle mass which is what I expected and also have lost a bit in a few areas which is also what I expected. If this month continues as I think it will, next month I should have much healthier stats.

#2 Lootrock, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  3. BJ

BJ Active Member

I don't know what your goals are... but from my perspective, you need to figure out the weight lifting thing ASAP. Way more important than jumping rope :nod:

Anyway... welcome to the forums and best of luck

4. Lootrock

Thanks for the post BJ! I plan to sort out my workout schedule much better; now its really a question of schedule. I recently have changed jobs and my schedule is completely different now and have much more to balance so what my immediate focus is getting the right nutrition and being able to have ready accessible work out equipment. My roommate just got some weights in his room so this definitely is going to help.

5. Lootrock

Well well well, it has been quite some time since I have posted. Though alas, I have not forgotten about this place nor my journey towards healthiness.
    Here are my stats for the last few months

Edit: Well my stats dont display right when I post it so I do it the long way

5/8/11
    Arms 12 7/8
    Forearm 10 7/8
    Chest 36 5/8
    Butt 37 3/4
    Waist 33 1/2
    Thigh 23 1/4
    Stomach 33 1/4

6/8(174lbs)
    Arms 13 1/4
    Forearm 11
    Chest 36 1/2
    Butt 37 1/4
    Waist 33 1/4
    Thigh 23 1/4
    Stomach 32 7/8

7/16
    Arms 12 3/4
    Forearm 11
    Chest 36 5/8
    Butt 36 7/16
    Waist 32 1/2
    Thigh 22 1/4(22" mid thigh)
    Stomach 32 1/4

And for the pictures....

These are all from today. I had some photos from last month but they got lost along with my phone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't weigh myself usually and last month I decided to just hop on the scale and was shocked! 174lbs! I thought I was around 185lbs; perhaps I was being overly modest in my estimates. I find interpreting my measurements interesting as well. For example, this month my arms measure a half an inch smaller than last month though I'm almost positive they have gotten bigger. Either I'm imaging things or it was a faulty measure. I have noticed a bit more definition in them though 1/2 an inch? Perhaps I lost some muscle and fat from them. Either or, I'm happy. I'm following a program that I've sworn by for nearly a decade which is The Complete Book of Abs. It has hundreds of exercises, and two different programs. I'm using the more comprehensive one and I must say my abs have never been more muscular or stronger. I still have alot of body fat covering them though underneath I feel a mass of muscle that I've never quite felt before. When I lose maybe 15 more pounds I think they're going to start looking really nice.

Diet-wise not too much has changed. Most days look something like this:

Meal 1:
    1/2 cup of oatmeal
    myoplex protein/milk shake

Snack:
    Banana

Meal 2:
    Salad w/tuna, black beans, and sometimes chicken
    /or banquet tv dinner (250-300cals)

Meal 3:
    Tv dinner/bowl of kidney beans/egg whites + fruit

Postworkout:
    Protein shake
    (perhaps banana/apple before or after)

Meal 4:
    Tv dinner/pork chops/chicken breast

Thats roughly it. It's much much healthier than my old eating habits. The tv dinners is the only thing I would change if I had the money, but for what I make, its really not a bad alternative at all.

#5 Lootrock, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  6. Lootrock

Well, I'm a week away from measurements. July was definitely a rough month. Had a rather serious bout of depression and just started binge eating. I did manage to exercise a little bit which certainly makes a difference. I'm more or less eating the way I was before now, just need to make some tuna and chicken for the week. I've gotten back in the gym and it feels nice. There's something very gratifying about my ab exercises. Typically, abs are my least favorite muscles to work, and thats putting it nicely. Lately, they take up 20% of my workout and afterwords I really feel like I've accomplished something.

7. Lootrock

Back from the dead!

Returning to my journey of healthiness. Currently, I'm 195lbs and I feel and look pretty out of shape. I'm a lot more comfortable with my body now in my late twenties and I think it'll only make my journey easier. The main reason why I want to get back in shape is to increase my well-being and cognitive functions with much less emphasis on the aesthetics although that will be a fun motivator as well. I'm excited to get back into it though I can already feel internal resistance towards having to go to the store all the time and having exercise eat up so much time in my day. I will try to work on sustainability much more this time around :tu::cool::claphigh:

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Eating right and exercising don't have to eat up large chunks of time. For instance, in the gym focus on compounds and you'll be using your time very effectively.

9. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Welcome back!

This.

I spend about 2 hours cooking on Sunday and about 3 hours a week in the gym....that's about all the time I dedicate to training and eating right.

If you want to improve body composition, do one thing right: get your nutrition in order.

10. Lootrock

I used to do that as well. I'll probably get back to doing that. I need to learn how to cook better. That's for sure!

@DigitalNebula: What's your weekly workout schedule look like? In detail if you don't mind.

11. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Mon: Chest and arms
    Wed: Legs (quads, hams and calves)
    Fri: Back, traps and delts

If you look at the last several pages of my journal you can see all of my workouts. :)

12. Lootrock

I see you more or less do 14-16 sets over the course of an hour. Seems you must take breaks shorter than 2mins. Is that about right?

13. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

It varies....I take the "do the next set when I feel ready" approach.

Probably 2-3 mins between sets on upper body stuff...

Quads and hams can be 3-5 minutes....

Upper days run about 50-60 minutes
    Leg day is more like 75 minutes

14. Lootrock

@Digitalnebula: Thanks

I only have 17.5lbs adjustable dumbbells so I'm limited in what I can do for now. Ok, so here's what my weeks will look like:

Mon: abs + traps & delts
    - abs: 15 x 3knee raise variations, 30 x 1 bicycle, 30 x 1 side leg raises
    30 x 1 LL Cool Jay crunches, 15 x 1 straight leg crunches
    15 x 1 frog leg crunches
    Time: 8mins

- traps: dl military press 3 x 15 35lbs, dl front press 3 x 14 35, shoulder
    shrugs 35lbs 3 x 30 35lbs

- delts: alternating front delt ext. 3 x 30 5/2.5lbs, alternating side delt ext. 3 x 30 lbs

Total exercise time: 1 hour
    Total time w/ shake prep & shower: 1hr 35mins
    Tip: Try not to clench/tense back during exercise. Try to relax back.

Tues: abs
    15 x 1 frog leg crunches
    Total: 8mins

Wed: chest & back
    - chest: push ups ? x ?, incline db press 3 x ? ?lbs

- back: full bent row 3 x 15 35lbs, good mornings 3 x 15 35lbs
    deadlift 3 x 15 35lbs

Thurs: abs
    15 x 1 frog leg crunches

Fri: abs + biceps & triceps
    15 x 1 frog leg crunches

- Biceps: db curls 3 x 15 20lbs, hammer curls 3 x 15 7/10lbs,
    standing alternating curls 3 x 20 20lbs
    - Triceps: db tri ext. 3 x 15 5lbs

I will update here for minor tweaks and repost entire workout for significant changes and/or noticeable increases of weight/reps. I will also endeavor to make a new entry everyday whether it be a workout day or not on thoughts or whatever have you.

15. Lootrock

Dear diary, lol, after a long productive day on very little sleep I am debating whether or not it would be a good idea to do my ab exercises. We shall she. Will update

16. Lootrock

I elected to not workout last night. It was probably a good idea. I hear exercising while sleep deprived isn't best idea. I've shifted my workout schedule a day so today I did my ab workout and will do Wednesday's schedule tomorrow. I'm glad I decided to make an entry per day. It is motivating in itself.

17. Lootrock

Got up early today and decided to nip it in the bud at the start of the day.

Chest & Back

- chest: push ups 2 x 10 ; 1 x 8; 1 x 7; 1 x 5; 3 x 4
    incline db press 3 x 35lbs

- back: full bent row 6 x 15 24lbs
    deadlift 3 x 15 35lbs

Time: 57mins
    Total Time w/ cool down & 5 shake prep: 1hr22mins

#17 Lootrock, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  18. Lootrock

So, I elected to do Friday's exercise on Friday anyway. So tomorrow I'll just be doing abs. Feels great to exercise again and feeling ripped all day even though I'm not by any means lmao. My eating habits are also taking care of themselves as they usually do when I start exercising again.

Fri: abs + biceps & triceps

15 x 1 frog leg crunches

- Biceps: db curls 3 x 15 20lbs, hammer curls 3 x 15 12lbs
    standing alternating curls 3 x 20 20lbs

- Triceps: db tri ext. 3 x 15 5lbs

Total Time: 54mins
    Total Time w/ cooldown: 1hr 5mins

19. Lootrock

Did my ab workout today. Much quicker than usual as I was going to be running late for something otherwise. I notice sometimes when I'm doing certain exercises that there is some strain on my back so I make sure to stop and rest and resume with proper form and focus on proper ab engagement. I think this is a good thing though I wonder if there is a healthy employment of my lateral muscles such as when I'm doing 45 degree rows. I think I'll stick to what I'm doing for now.

20. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Good idea. Changing plans all the time does not work. DAMHIK. ;)