1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Journal de williamso

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by williamso, Mar 7, 2005.

1. williamso

williamso Well-Known Member

End of Week 14

January 14, 2007, 203 pounds vs. April 8, 2007, 195 pounds

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I can see big differences in my belly and chest. Starting to see fat loss in my neck and arms, too. Clothes are quite a bit looser. I feel like I'm making a much bigger difference than these photos reveal. However, photos don't lie. Perhaps I'm not making the progress I think I am. I gotta change my nutrition on the weekends. I've been saying that for a while now. I've been relying on my intuition to "eat sensibly" on the weekends and it hasn't worked.

I've got a new plan -- I think I will plan to eat at maintenance on Saturday and Sunday. That's an extra 600 or 700 calories each day, I think. At least that's a place to start. I'll enjoy planning these days, too. Even with water and fiber weight, I haven't seen 200 pounds in more than 2 weeks! I'm happy about that.

2. dluc

dluc Active Member

Awsome new pics dude:spaz: Really seeing some big changes now! I don't think you'll be seeing 200 for a while.

3. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

That's big progress William. If you can keep that up :spaz: !

4. eleonardo

*poke

5. williamso

I've been traveling for work, things are going well, don't have much time to post now -- progress has slowed (as usual with traveling), but I'm not disappointed for sure.

I'm moving toward training for a marathon in January, I think. A bit ambitious, but there is plenty of time to train, and I like the running a lot. More on this soon, I hope.

6. eleonardo

I was wondering what happend to you!
    Welcome back :tucool:

7. williamso

Ok, I'm back from many small trips for various reasons. My diet is horrible during trips, but I was able to maintain a good amount of exercise except for this last one.

I'll weigh myself on Saturday morning, I hope I'm not over 200. I don't feel that heavy. If I keep under 200, I'll be happy.

I'm back on the strict cutting diet starting soon (I need to find time to get to the store and prepare my tuna, bread, chicken, Kashi, etc.).

The January 2008 marathon definately looks do-able, but a bit scary. I think this is a good goal for me. I'm hoping to finish in 5 hours (pace of 11:27/mile). It is too soon to ramp up the mileage much, so I'm going to focus on speed, and a good base mileage.

To that end, I'm planning to do regular lactate threshold runs (3 miles, about 85-90% maximum heart rate), and perhaps some interval training, too. I'm also planning to run between 15 and 20 miles each week, with a long run of about 6-8 miles each week.

8. eleonardo

Hey William!
    Glad you're back :)
    You should see your away time as a 'rest' period. You probably had more to eat than normal, so see that as a 'refeed' period.
    Most important is that you're back into it. And remember, 200 is just a number.

9. dluc

dluc Active Member

Hey william! Glad you're back! Keep us updated on the marathon training:nod:

10. williamso

Hoping to weigh myself soon.

Thursday, May 31 -- 5 miles, 58:30
    Friday, June 01 -- 5 miles, 50:20
    Saturday, June 02 -- 5 miles, 59:40

15 miles in 3 days, averaging 11:15 mile. I'm very happy with that!
    My running plan for this month:

Week 1 miles, 3, 5, 5, 5
    Week 2 miles, 3, 5, 5, 7
    Week 3 miles, 3, 5, 5, 8
    Week 4 miles, 3, 5, 5, 9

For a total of 91 miles in the month of June

Then, I'm going to Costa Rica for about two weeks at the beginning of July. I'll try to get in some running then, but perhaps not much. That's ok. June will be a crazy running month! Then, when I come back, I'll be hitting it hard again. That's my plan, anyway.

11. dluc

dluc Active Member

Hey William :) Glad to hear things are going well! Is your trip a to Costa Rica a vacation?

12. williamso

Sortof -- I like to do significant things with my "vacations." We all need a change of pace with new scenery from time to time, but I far prefer to stay busy with something that really matters (and something that I enjoy) than doing something completely worthless.

So, my wife and I are going on a trip to Upala, Costa Rica in the northern lowlands (about 5 miles south of Nicaragua) with a group of 30 people from our church. It is an extremely rural and poor area. She will be helping to build the walls and bathrooms of a church building (the roof is already there). I'll be helping to train the local pastors on the life and work of Jesus (I'm a Presbyterian minister). I'll be teaching/preaching in Spanish for the first time in my life. :scared: That sounds like a perfect vacation for me!

Anyway, I'm not sure what it will mean for my exercise and nutrition. We'll see . . .

Last night, 3 miles, 29:28. I felt like I was pushing pretty hard. The heat and humidity (and weekend nutrition) combined to keep me down. I averaged over 80% MHR, so that's good.

13. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

I may have missed this somewhere but are you a PCA or a USA minister with the Presbyterian church?

Have a safe trip down and good luck with the preaching in Spanish...I'll send some prayers your way!:tu:

14. williamso

I'm a PCA minister. Thanks for the prayers. I'll need divine help (and have great hope and faith that I will get it) if I'm going to say anything worth listening to.

While I was on a trip to see family, I hurt my left knee on the trampoline with my two young nieces. It only hurts when I bend it far -- running and walking are no problem, but body weight squats are painful, and kneeling (with body weight on knees on the floor) is very painful. I kept running for 3 more weeks (it didn't hurt at all!) but the pain with putting my shoes on (and anytime I had my leg bent) was getting worse.

So, I've decided to quit runnning for a few weeks. It's been about one week with no running, now. I don't like it. I want to run! However, my knee is feeling much better. I think I'll take the next week off, then I go to Costa Rica for 2 weeks. That will be a total of 4 weeks with no running. Then, we'll see how I'm doing. Hopefully that will help tremendously. This has the potential to derail my dreams of a marathon in January. But with proper rest, I think I'll be ok.

15. eleonardo

What is a PCA minister?
    Hard to keep up with all protestant denominations :(

16. williamso

"PCA" is short for "Presbyterian Church in America." It is the smaller, more conservative Presbyterian demonimation in the USA. For the last 15 years or so, it is one of the fastest growing denominations in the country, but it is still rather small compared to the more liberal/mainline PC(USA).

In case anyone is concerned, I have no intention of debating theology or religion on this forum, though I personally enjoy it -- this is not an appropriate place. I have no intention of trying to convert anyone here, but I'm certainly happy to talk openly about my job situation, especially as it relates to connecting to other JSF members, and helps and/or interferes with my physical fitness.

Last Saturday night, I returned from my mission trip to Upala, Costa Rica. Great trip, and glad to be back.

I plan to run tomorrow evening for the first time in a month. My knee feels much better, but I can make myself experience a little pain there if I put enough pressure in just the right way. We'll start with a short and easy 3-mile jog. My diet has also suffered in this last month, so I'm back on a good schedule there, starting today (not much control of my diet in rural Costa Rica).

17. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Glad your back safely! Keep the good work going, your the man!

18. eleonardo

Williammmmmmmmmm
    It only took you a month to answer :D :p

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know there were different branches of the presbytarian church in the US as well. Who can keep up with the 1000's of protestant denominations :cry:

Glad to see you back safe! Does this mean we'll see more regular posting (and fitness!) from you? :)

Enjoy ooooozing back into things.
    God bless!

19. williamso

Good call. There are so many denominations -- that makes me sad. Distinctions are good as they provide helpful debate and honestly wrestle with truth, but divisions are bad as they promote disunity. It is a constant struggle for all of us, I think -- Racially, socio-economically, nationally, vocationally (blue vs. white collar), residentially (urban vs. suburban vs. rural), etc.

I hope to post more often now that I'm acting as if my knee is recovered. We'll see. I still have my eye on that marathon in late January.

20. williamso

Thanks jchantelau. You're always a great encouragement.