1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Journal de williamso

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by williamso, Mar 7, 2005.

1. dluc

dluc Active Member

That's some good progress William:tu: Work on getting those weekends under control!

2. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

I second that!

3. williamso

williamso Well-Known Member

Thanks eleonardo and dluc -- you two continue to be a great source of encouragement for me.

This weekend was a good one for me. While I did not record my numbers, my portions were small. I'm feeling good about things...

My weekly weight dropped to 193 this week. That's great! Body fat dropped, too. I'm down to 30%.

So, since January 1
    ...I've lost 19 pounds.
    ...I've lost 17 pounds of fat.
    ...I've lost 2 pounds of lean.

Looking for another great week.

4. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Hey Williamso!
    How do you measure your fat loss? Calipers?

5. williamso

I use an electronic gizmo. I can't find the exact product online, but this is pretty similar.

I'm pretty sure it is not accurate, but I think it is fairly precise. So, I don't really believe that I'm 30% body fat, I think I'm closer to 20%, but when the reading goes up and down, I think it reflects my actual body fat going up and down, and so it is helpful in that way. As long as I stay consistent, I can get a fairly good measure of my progress.

My pictures are more important to me, but the body fat% is helpful, too.

6. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

ok, thanks.

nice progress BTW :tu:

7. williamso

Thanks for the kind words, Maya.

8. eleonardo

That's what friends are foooor. For good times, and bad times, I'll be by your sideeeee forever moreeeeee :guitar:

I don't record my numbers. Perhaps I should. Last time I did that, I dramatically lost weight. :confused:

That's the spirit!:claphigh:

EDIT. I competely missed the 17 pounds of fat loss part!
    GREAT JOB!!!

#188 eleonardo, Apr 2, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  9. dluc

dluc Active Member

:claplow:

William, you're doing amazing. Keep it up!

10. williamso

Thanks, again, fellas.

Ok, I'm really getting into the running, recently. Mostly because it seems to be making a big difference, and I'm enjoying it.

On February 24th, I ran much farther than I had ever run in my life -- 5 miles! I finished in 58:54. Since then, I've run a 5 miles 7 more times. Yesterday, I ran 5 miles in 54:35. I feel great! I'm planning to try 6 miles soon.

I'm built more like a sprinter. Nice big thighs and meaty calves (look in this thread for a picture of my calves, which I've never worked on). I've always hated the long-distance cardio, but it's working for me now.

11. eleonardo

I've heard other people say it too, that they love to run. They even look forward to it every week. I don't get it. What's so great about running? I can only imagine that it's relaxing on the mind (if you have good stamina).

12. williamso

It is certainly relaxing. One big change for me -- I've been using an mp3 player and listening to various lectures and conferences in my field (theology, ethics, Christianity, etc.). Tons of great resources for free download on the internet. I also listen to great radio shows from NPR. I really like This American Life, and many of the shows from American Public Media including Speaking of Faith, Weekend America, and American RadioWorks. Justice Talking is another great one. Even though many of these titles include the word "American" I think most people worldwide would find lots of great resources -- especially with This American Life and Speaking of Faith. I listen to them in a high speed, which makes the voices sound high-pitched, but it keeps my mind focused on the content and makes the time go quickly.

Another thing that made a huge difference for me was my shoes. I tried several different running shoes until I found the Asics running series. Actually, I just bought a new pair on Sunday. I didn't know that running shoes could be so comfortable and enjoyable.

So, for me, those are two key factors that help me to enjoy the long cardio -- listening to new and enjoyable audio programs and good running shoes.

13. williamso

Week 14

Monday, April 2, 2007
    2230 calories, 23% fat / 40% carbs / 37% protein, 43g fiber
    5 mile run, 54:35, feeling good and fast. My average hr was 141, which is a little lower than other 5-mile runs which took more time. I can feel my body getting more efficient!

Tuesday, April 3, 2007
    2209 calories, 25/38/37, 43g fiber
    Lift weights, full body

Wednesday, April 4, 2007
    2354 calories, 33/33/34, 36g fiber
    Rest day, I intended to run, but bad weather and wife's birthday led to a good decision to rest instead.

#193 williamso, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  14. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

williamso - great progress man! Awesome job on the running. Keep it up!:tu:

15. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

i havent found the perfect shoes yet. Congrats on finding a good pair for yourself, it's tough!
    Keep up the great work!! :)

16. williamso

Thanks, Zoe and jchantelau.

I'm a little scared of bad knees. They are a tiny bit sore, but I remember a few years ago when I had to stop running for several months. I think I may be increasing mileage too fast. After all, 195 pounds is still a lot of weight to be coming down on my knees that hard for so long. I think I might go inside to the elliptical machines. Here in Miami, we're ending the "outdoor" season and coming up on the "indoor" season. It's not quite time, but for the sake of my knees, I may go inside a little early this year.

I much prefer running outside, but if I can lose a good bit of fat weight by the end of the summer, I'll be able to fly on the roads in October.

Another option -- incorporate shorter but more intense runs -- tempo runs, or even better, sprinting intervals. I might try some intervals this evening instead of my scheduled 5-mile run.

17. williamso

On Tuesday I started a new weight lifting routine. I'm back to a full body workout -- it goes like this...

1. Pullups, as many as possible, 3 or 4 reps
    2. DB Squat, 8-12 reps
    3. DB Bench Press, 8-12 reps
    4. DB Lunge, 8-12 reps
    5. DB Bicep Curl, 8-12 reps
    6. Pushups, as many as possible, stop at 12
    7. Hanging leg lifts (for abs), 8-12 reps
    8. DB Good Morning, 8-12 reps
    9. 1-leg squats, as many as possible, 3-5 reps
    10. Dips, as many as possible, 3-4 reps

No rest between exercises. I go through the list of 10 exercises 4 times with 90 seconds rest after each set of dips.

18. eleonardo

I thought you already did Full body? I think you mentioned that a few weeks ago :confused:

Anyways, I never did TBT, but I really fancy the TBT by Chad Waterbury. I'm gonna give it a try after my 10x3, and perhaps WSP. :D

19. williamso

I stopped the full body routine at the end of January. I've been doing a two-day split (upper v. lower) since then (about 2 months). I get bored easily. And since I'm on a cutting diet, my progress with the weights is very slow (though I'm making progress almost every session).

I like to switch things up more often. I'm less likely to skip a session if it's not an old routine.

I really think things will change when I start to bulk (sometime next winter, hopefully)

20. eleonardo

Ahh ok, thanks for clarifying.
    I think switching is up definitely has its benefits. Keep posting how you're doing, so I/we can follow your progress. :tucool: