1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Joints and Connective Tissue? Help!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by artizzztik, Oct 15, 2008.

1. artizzztik

artizzztik Active Member

Hi, this is my first post, and I'm hoping to get some insight into some problems I'm having at the gym, where I just started up after a year off.

Many things I've read say that ligaments, tendons, and all that good stuff heal slower than muscle tissue because they are not as well oxygenated. And wisdom says, therefore, you must be careful not to push things harder than your joints will allow. Sound reasonable?

Here's the thing though - I'm currently halfway through a "break-in" program that my body only seems to tolerate twice per week. It's two separate workouts: one with deadlifts and pulling stuff, one with squats and pushing stuff.

All of my lifting is in a full range of motion, and while lifting it's totally pain free. That much seems fine, as I'm getting some serious workouts done.

But the next day I'll occasionally feel as if I've pulled something, particularly where my groin, middle back, and knees are concerned. After two days there's no pain, but the pain I'm talking about is pretty sharp.

So here's the question: if I'm pain-free in 48 hours, and these "apparently pulled" muscles seem to be in different places all the time, would it be considered safe to head back to the gym? I really want to make this a lifestyle, lifelong thing, with periodized programs and all, but my body has been complaining quite a bit. (I'm 30, if that matters.)

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! - Dan

2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

You need to tell us a little more. Age, height and weight? How long have you been lifting? Have you ever been a participant in sports before this program? Where did you learn form for your workouts? What is this program you are in? Where did you learn about it? Are you strong? What weight/rep/set combo do you use for say the deadlft and squat? Where do you train? with what equipment?

Answers to these can give us a better idea about problems you are seeing?

3. goonie

goonie Active Member

Pulled muscles tend not to heal themselves within 48 hours.

"Apparently pulled" muscles might, apparently. :whistle:

How sure are you regarding your form in the exercises you're performing? Are you making the distinction between general soreness and pain?

I'm wondering if your research into the rate of adaptive response with ligaments and tendons is playing mind games with what's really going on. :confused:

4. artizzztik

artizzztik Active Member

Okay, I can do that! (Didn't want to be long-winded).

Stats: 30, male, 5'10", 180 lbs., been lifting for about a month now, though a year ago I'd gone a year straight without missing one session.

The program comes from a book called, "The New Rules of Lifting," which I used last time and got pretty amazing results.

Best evers:

Squat: 185
    Deadlift: 205
    Bench: 185

(Amazing for me, anyway)

I did track in high school but don't really have any major injuries to speak of.

As far as I know my form is good, though once I have a few bucks I was going to hire a trainer to check it for me.

In the current routine, which is to build endurance from being out of shape, squats and deads are 2x15:

Squat: 55 lbs/15 reps
    Deadlift: 70 lbs/15 reps

Equipment is free weights. No belts or machines whatsoever, except some cable stuff. I don't like machines. I have a fetish for functional strength. :D

What's bugging me is this time around I seem to be not tolerating it well, especially since I remember hitting the gym three times a week and always beating my numbers year-round! I think I've lifted enough to know pain from soreness - I'm sore everywhere, but the pain is always localized and always in a different spot.

Perhaps it's neurological, like I need to relearn how to do these complex movements? I dunno. Thanks so much for your help!

5. artizzztik

artizzztik Active Member

You may be right about the psychological factor, but I know in the past I've pushed hard as hell on 20-rep squats and all, so I have a good feel for what's burn, what's soreness, and what's pain.

The connective "tissue issue" concerns me most because I just hit the big 3-0. My Grandpa has Darth Vader kneecaps and has a messed up back, and I want to do everything I can to avoid that fate, and to do it safely.

I can't tell if it's "ouch I hurt something" pain or "wow, now THAT is one sore back muscle!" I don't want to risk being wrong, you know?

6. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

Just an observation, it appears you may be doing 15s at 40-45%. That may not trigger much joint, ligament, bone or tendon growth impetus. May not be doing much for "functional" strength of any type either. For me that would be a recipe for burn, overuse and not much else. I have a 15s cycle in my routine and my starting weight for that cycle is above 70% of 15RM. I'm pretty sure that for you that should be up toward 100 pounds? If there is no medical condition involved, could it be that you're doing aerobic lifting and causing strains and overuse from repetitive quick tempo reps?

7. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Everyone had some good points in their comments. My quick appraisal is you shouldn't be feeling any ligament or joint pain with the weights used. Form needs to be reviewed. I can't see why you have problem.

Take a couple aspirins and a hot shower after workout. Think about 8-12 reps. Do a little reading here in our forums, you might see something that will help.

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

It's not unusual to see what I think you are describing just getting back into the lifting game. Some of it may be caused by mobility type issues (groin, knee). Some of it may just be soreness. I don't think you are pulling anything if it's gone in two days. That's just not a pull.

However, ease into it. I've read the book you've got, and it's a good program. I'd stick with it and just don't get too aggressive on weight increases until you get a bit more work capacity.

30 isn't old. You've got decades of good training left in you.

I would suggest you look at your nutrition, though. For instance, if you are trying to cut too hard and have dropped calories too much in addition to throwing on a strenuous lifting plan, that makes recovery that much more difficult. If you aren't getting enough fats in your diet, joints take a beating. Not enough proper carbs and proteins, and your recovery is harder, etc.

9. why_not_fandy

why_not_fandy Active Member

tendonitis? I had the same problem with my knee (the outside part, where the IT band inserts on the tibia). I would go running, and after about a quarter mile I noticed a sharp pain. The pain got worse the more I pushed. I could take a couple days off and the pain would seemingly dissapear, but once I tried running again the pain came back right away. I finally went to the doc, and was diagnosed with IT band syndrome. The cure for me was taking it easy for a few months, icing every night, and *slowly* easing back into exercise (spinning for a few weeks before even trying to hit the road). There were other remedies for my condition. The doc offered me a cortisone shot, but I just decided to rest and do physical therapy. If you have health insurance I'd see a doc about it.