1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Joint / Muscle Pain: Best way to modify plan

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Zilla, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Long story short, I've been having serious muscle and joint pain off and on for about a year. In the past couple of months the pain has become constant, so I went to the doctors.

They tested me for RA and Lyme Disease. Both came up negative. While I was there, they also pulled blood for yearly testing ( thyroid, CBC, ect...) and all of those are normal. Yay for no longer having Vitamin D problems.

Advil at max doses does nothing for pain, so my doctor is going to put something up( I can't remember the name of it) that is alittle heavier. I'd rather be conservative with meds than be a total zombie. I digress.

I need to get back into working out, but I need to modify my lifts. I've always done progressive lifts, but those are killing me right now. My muscles may be okay with it, but my joints will scream at me and vice versa.

Thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

For whatever it is worth, I'm in the process of looking for a rhueumatologist. This hasn't proven to be a easy task, but the hunt continues.

#1 Zilla, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Medication is working and per doctor's orders, I'm allowed to get back to working out, however, I need to take things slow and avoid high impact stuff.

So, I'm basically going to pretend like I know nothing and start from scratch. Lifts will be done according to how I feel versus how I'm "supposed" lift.

3. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Did they ever explain why your joints were hurting?

4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

No. I haven't found a rhueumatologist either.

The meds work okay, so I've been dealing with it. On good days I get stuff done. Bad days I accomplish nothing.

If I ever get a real diagnosis, I'll update this thread, but for now there is nothing to tell.

Thanks for asking though. :)

5. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

The problem was I wasn't getting enough calcium in my diet. I'm lactose intolerant, so the only calcium I was getting was very little from the random glass of Lactaid milk. I started supplementing calcium and after about 2 weeks, I felt much better.

I still have aches and pains, but they don't register for the most part. The only reason I notice them is when my hands decide to cramp up. It feels likes my fingers are twisted in knots.

I haven't spoken to my doctor about this as I'm kind of pissed off at them for the time being. I asked them about this very issue and they told me that it couldn't possibly be the problem. :rolleyes:

I also quit taking the pain meds I was given once I was comfortable with the changes I made. Knowing what I know now, I shouldn't have had to take them at all...

6. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found the root cause! Micronutrient deficiencies are a pain in the rear to diagnose.