1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John, your advice here would be great!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Tiger King, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

Well, I just did my first night on the MAX-OT program, I recorded my weights, sets, reps, and rest times and the works. While I am sure I followed everything as much as I could, I would really like your input (or in fact anyone else familiar with max-ot) to give myself the final confirmation that I am indeed doing this correctly.

Alrighty, without further adieu:

(Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)

Bench press: 150 lbs. 4, 4, 3 (reps) -- 3 sets
    Incline dumbell press: 50 lbs each hand. 6, 5 -- 2 sets
    Decline dumbell press: 50 lbs each hand. 5 -- 1 set

Military press: 70 lbs. 4, 4, 3 -- 3 sets
    Dumbell laterals: a mere 15 lbs each hand :(. 5, 5 -- 2 sets
    Shrugs: 90 lbs. 6 -- 1 set

Tricep pressdowns: 130 lbs. 5, 4, 3 -- 3 sets
    Dumbell extensions: 40 lbs. 3, 3 -- 2 sets
    Skullcrushers: 35 lbs. 3 -- 1 set

All my rest periods were within the 2-3 minute range, I also had a protein shake with 60g protein afterwards. It took me 45 minutes, and I went heavy, intense and all within 4 reps..Except for a few, which I haven't done in a while, but at least next time I should have improved enough to meet the rep requirements.

So...Does this look alright to you? I hope I followed the basic guidelines of MAX-OT so far (I'm halfway through the program, it is pretty big) but I hope I've done good so far.

Comments appreciated!

2. d!abolic

d!abolic Well-Known Member

Lookin good buddy. The shrugs gotta go WAY up though. I bench a little less than you, but my shrugs are around 280 with the bar. Try using straps, they help a lot. The dumbell laterals are tough, yea. I do 15's as well. One suggestion i have is instead of taking 3 scoops of whey post-workout, take two post-workout and one pre-workout. Throw in 2 tbsp of dextrose with each shake. And of course, creatine for the post. Almsot forgot, you've got way too many 3's in there. Your reps should be in the 4-6 range, not the below-4 range. Technically, they're supposed to be 6, but since you can't do 6 for all the sets, they put 4-6.

3. shrimplover

shrimplover Well-Known Member

I counted 18 heavy sets. Isn't that too much according to the rules of Max-OT? (6-9 total?). Also, don't forget to do the warm ups.

4. Tiger King

Thanks for the feedback

Yea, I know I got too many 3's in there.. Some exercises I haven't done in a while so tonight was in a way, a test run, to see where I stand. Now that I know, I can adjust things to get me around 5-6 reps.

As far as the 18 total heavy sets, how is that a lot? I basically copied the chest/shoulders/triceps routine from the book itself and used the number of recommended sets it suggested.

5. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

6-9 heavy sets per muscle group

chest = one muscle group..

tiger. next time do a 2 2 2 split..

2 incline/decline/flat..

and definatly work on the traps!

i didnt see any dips in there! dips are the best

6. Tiger King

I wanted to do dips (on the account I love doing them) but some 14 year old punk kept standing there, lifting his legs half-assedly and talking to his friends, basically wasting time. I didn't want to wait for him to get off and I didn't want to tell him to stop wasting time on the account I already have a warning for a fight I got into there last year :(

7. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hi Tiger King,

First off, I hope you just left your warm-up sets and acclimation sets off the list for the sake of brevity! They are very important and I don't see them listed or mentioned anywhere in your post.

When I do MAX-OT I always do 3 working sets for each exercise. I see quite a few where you did just 2 sets or even just 1. Go for 3 sets every time.

Also if you can't do 3 sets of 4-6 reps, then the weight is too heavy for you and should be reduced. For example, your bench press was probably too heavy since you could not perform 3 sets of at least 4 reps. If you can barely get 4 up in the first set, in all likelihood you are not going to be able to get up 4 by your last set and should lower the weight on your next workout. It takes a few workouts to find out what you are capable of, so this feeling out process is normal. Don't sweat it.

I agree with d!abolic, you can probably shrug more than 90 pounds based on your other lifts. Up until a few weeks ago I never once had worked my traps and I'm shrugging almost 3 times the amount you are and I'm a complete newbie at working my traps! Try for more weight, but don't hurt yourself! :bb:

Your rest intervals and choice of exercises look very good. Don't forget to switch things up after 6-8 weeks.

Keep it up, looking good! :tu:

8. Tiger King

Thanks!

Yes, I did leave my warm ups off for sake of brevity, but I did try to follow the Max-OT method warming up as much as possible.. I did the warm up sets and the weight acclimation sets. It worked pretty well.

I think my problem is that I was aiming for 4 reps, I think for now on I will aim for 6 as previous suggested. I am also going to do 3 sets per exercise as well.

One question: Although I did read the MAX-OT outlook on muscle soreness, fatigue and the "pump" while I worked my ass off last night admittedly I don't feel overly sore today. I'm not quite sure how to take that, is it a big deal?

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

No, not necessarily. Some people get more sore than others based on all kinds of factors, and sometimes it takes a couple of days for the soreness to really kick in. You may find that you are more sore when you are doing a complete 3 x 6 set for each exercise as well.

10. Chris_Otto

Chris_Otto Well-Known Member

I have a similar reaction to Max-OT workouts. I generally don't feel the muscle pain immediately after a workout like I did with pyramid training. If I worked REALLY hard I will feel it within 2 - 3 hours. However, I usually don't start seriously feeling the workout until 12 hours later.

The pump is there just not the pain. I attribute the pain I used to feel (and thought was what was building mass) to muscle fatigue and the new pain I feel to muscle building.

11. Tiger King

Yea, I wanted to kind of update this. Yesterday I really felt some pain in my chest, shoulders and triceps. Today the pain has slightly tapered off but I still feel it in my triceps.

I guess the day after they are just kind of numb from the heavy workout :)

12. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

I must be doing something wrong when I shrug because I bench 145 and only shrug 155.

13. funtax

funtax Well-Known Member

I just finished my first week of MaxOT and, for the first time in MONTHS, every part of my body is HOWLING with soreness. Taking a cue from John, this pleased me a great deal.

Then my boss called me at early this morning to see if I'd help him move, so I got to "feel the burn" all day long as I dragged box after box of books up and down four flights of stairs in sub-freezing conditions. I figure I should JUST BARELY be able to lift my arms again by monday - just in time to do my chest routine!

14. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, why are you doing shrugs on Chest/Shoulder/Triceps? I consider Shrugs to be a back exercise since they work the traps.

Traps information

Barbell Shrugs

15. Tiger King

Oh, I know what shrugs and traps are.... But I forget the reason why I did them there. I know I had a reason, I just can't remember it right now.

16. davey_fl

davey_fl Well-Known Member

I have a question about how you are doing shrugs. I have been using dumbells (40lb) in each hand to do shrugs. They seem quite easy. How the heck do you do shrugs with 280lb barbell? Do you get someone to help you lift it in place and then do them? I can't figure out how you are doing so much weight?

thx

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Personally I put the barbell on the safety bars of my power rack just below the reach of my arms. Then I just need to grab the bar and shrug without having to deadlift it into position.

18. Tiger King

Simple, just put the barbell on the ground in front of a mirror, put a 45 plate on each side one at a time to balance it, then add more weight as needed. Should also have a good set of straps to help with the grip as well.

It is kinda time consuming tho.