1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Training his first couple of months

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Darkreignn, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Darkreignn

Darkreignn Well-Known Member

Monday: Stationary bike or Stair climber, 23 mins (HIIT)

Tuesday: Weight training: back & biceps; Stationary bike or Stair climber, 12 minutes (HIIT)

Wednesday: Stationary bike or Stair climber, 23 mins (HIIT); Abs (crunches/reverse crunches)

Thursday: Weight training: quads, calves, hamstrings; Stationary bike or Stair climber, 12 minutes (HIIT)

Friday: Stationary bike or Stair climber, 23 mins (HIIT)

Saturday: Weight training: pecs, delts, triceps; Stationary bike or Stair climber, 12 minutes (HIIT)

Sunday: Stationary bike or Stair climber, 23 mins (HIIT); Abs (crunches/reverse crunches)

I'm gonna follow this routine looks good to me. ONly difference is that I will be taking Sundays off. I'm also going to start waking up early and going to the gym around 9 am or so

2. seeDerekNow

seeDerekNow Well-Known Member

When I first saw his program, I wondered if it was a little extreme considering that he was just starting out. But he stuck with it and it produced results, so that's what counts. Still though, I wonder how sore he used to get those first couple of weeks :)

I also do cardio 7 days a week like John, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's a little too excessive.

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

FWIW, I think back then I was a little over-zealous with my cardio, especially once I started doing HIIT. Seven days a week is too much, IMO, and I probably would have lost weight just as quickly doing HIIT workouts only 3 or 4 times a week.

I no longer do cardio on weight training days, and I take Sunday off, yet I was able to cut from 11% BF to 8% in less than 2 months (and that was with Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays thrown in!)

I also think my HIIT workouts are more effective now that I don't do them every day.

Cardio is important, but diet is the key.

4. seeDerekNow

seeDerekNow Well-Known Member

That's kind of a relief. Cuz my legs get pretty sore after "leg day" and it's really hard to do any sort of cardio when your legs are sore as hell.

5. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Thanks for that John,... I wasn't able to get in my cardio this morning and ended up walking 18 holes of golf this afternoon instead.. was feeling guilty about missing the cardio, but I'm muuuuch better now.. :D

Bill

6. Collegefour

Collegefour Well-Known Member

Well, I've been doing exactly what is posted above (I even have it printed out) for nearly three weeks now, and IMO the cardio is what is zapping the weight right now. I also feel MUCH better overall, and I can tell I'm getting conditioned, as I'm not nearly as winded when I reach my max HR now. I prolly don't QUITE max out on intensity as John did, but I reach for it every time, and never end a cardio session without some sweat and deep breathing. I don't really feel its excessive right now, so I'm gonna continue with this course at least until April, when I will presumably be as thin as John was last April! :p