1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I just finished my chest/abs workout. I really like my new exercise lineup for chest/abs day:

CHEST
    4x10 Smith machine bench press
    4x10 Incline DB press
    4xBurnout Weighted dips
    4x10 High cable cross-over (middle chest)

ABS
    4xBurnout Incline weighted crunches
    4xBurnout Vertical leg raises

The smith machine bench press allowed me to focus on my pecs and not so much on the supporting muscle groups. Nice for a change from barbell bench press, and I could really feel the burn in my chest. I got some free weight work in with dumbbell incline presses, and they felt amazing (I love my power hooks, they are true shoulder-savers). My left shoulder bothered me a little on the dips, but no big deal - I got through them. I finished off my chest with some perfect form, slow rep cable cross-over work and then hit my abs.

Just one picture tonight - I'm working on improving my poses. Very little pump in my arms tonight, but I thought I'd hit a side chest since it is chest day.

Attached Files:

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Nice picture there John. I see you twisting more and showing the right pec really well!! :tucool:

Abs look really good in this pic too actually.

3. Beige

Beige Well-Known Member

That's a good idea - John could raise financing for it by letting readers, eBayites and other Internetties buy shares in the fitness DVD venture! (Or why not even start as a Brightcove early adopter to save on the distribution etc costs)..

I've sometimes pondered on how someone like John - who's inspirational and in many ways a perfect rolemodel for the modern day office worker who wants to get and be fit - could better monetize his value.

As far as fitness role models for "the regular guy" go, there just aren't many out there. Most of us have a soft spot for Ahnold, but it's difficult for the average office worker to emulate his body building career (and not where it's at for most of us anyway), so although he can be inspirational he's useless as a role model. Then there are the likes of Richard Simmons, who are most inspirational when tacked on - as life-sized posters - to a sandbag. We just aren't going to spend dosh on DVDs or other media from these people.. not in a bid to improve ourselves.

But John.. He's got it. His story is the perfect role model for how the average out-of-shape office worker guy can make a dramatic change for the better. I tell friends and coworkers about John's site, but most of the intrinsic value of the site requires a bit of studying and exploring.. and whereas people are typically impressed with the transformation page, the average person is just so used to seeing "30-day Miracle Muscleboost" type gimmicks on TV that people give up exploring the site before they reach the "I too could do this" stage of enlightenment.

(NB: I think as of late the site has become a bit more intimidating for the average out-of-shape guy, just because John has progressed out of the "average guy" realm into more of a pro/expert realm.. so all the talk about SGX, ALA, ETS, BSN, MSM etc will pretty quickly demoralise people who wonder if John's site can help them get in shape, because they can't grasp that that's not where John started.. so better keep the video focused on the first basic/simple 6 months of the amazing transformation, because that's where it's at for most of the potential audience).

The fitness video would be great, though.. maybe John could find an out-of-shape coworker/neighbour/friend and take him through a basic 6 month transformation, recording/documenting the whole thing on video.. I'd get a few copies of that for my out-of-shape friends!

Anyway.. happy thanksgiving to the USites.. easy on the cookies! :eat:

4. Wolfstriked

Wolfstriked Well-Known Member

John,try to think of the reverse grip EZ bar rows as a semi deadlift.Where you start the bar is say at a few inches above knee height and as you straighten your back up your pulling your elbows in and contracting lower lats.Your biceps shouldnt really be contracting.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks! I think I need to bring my chest up more, and pull my arms back a little more, too. I'm working on it!

Beige,
    You bring up some excellent points, and have some great ideas in there. Thank you very much for your input. :tu:

Wolfstriked,
    Ah, I think I see what you are saying. I'll tell you what man, my lats are killing me right now, so once I get the form down I think this exercise is going to be great! Thank you for bringing it to my attention! I may post a video so you can evaluate my form - I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

7. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Man...
    You have the greatest family! :tu:

Edit: My boyfriend was watching the pictures with me, and when I told him you were 37 he said: "Really?? I though he was 20... :nod: "

8. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

On the photo with you and your father in law in the kitchen and your drinking the wine while he does the work, your arm looks incredible.

Its such a difference to see someone in their everyday clothes going about everyday life, it really gives you a sense of how big you have gotten. When you post work out pics, I dont know, its hard to explain, but its kinda like another person ( i dont just mean with you, i mean everyone) and you kinda dont realise thats how they look just in every day circumstances. Its kinda like its not just a pump, a flex and a pose, some good lighting etc, its just HOW ONE LOOKS.

Great pic that one. :)

9. freddyaudiophile

freddyaudiophile Well-Known Member

John.... your bloody arm looks amazing! Man, I'm still gawking at your tricep... what a horseshoe. Stellar work, man, absolutely stellar!

Freddy

10. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

john's tricep hardly fits in the kitchen
    remind me never to fight you

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Great pics! It looks like you have a wonderful family!

Lisa's got some pretty ripped guns! Looks like she's done a set or two of barbell curls herself!! :tucool:

That last picture was the best by far. :)

12. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

I was thinking the exact same thing! Somehow a normal shirt makes you look MUCH bigger, awesome! :tucool:

13. escher

escher Well-Known Member

wow John.. your arms ARE looking huge!

14. Dew

Dew Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of those appliances... those are slick. :tu:

... oh and fabulous arms John!

15. carddante

carddante Well-Known Member

I'm with everyone else, I kept staring at that pic of John's arm in amazement. Street clothes make a huge difference.

16. Wolfstriked

Wolfstriked Well-Known Member

I soo agree.You look like a big dude in that pic where your sipping wine.Great stuff and keep it up!

As for the form on those reverse grip rows....dont think of it as a regular row.What I mean is that you should be almost upright and then your pulling your elbows back and flexing your lats.

Bar goes down to mid thigh and lower to knee then shoots up and hits belly button area.Your arms arent really straightening and contracting at all.Basically visualize it like this .Sit in a chair with elbows on legs and upright hands on knees and then bring shoulders back and tighten your lower lats.Youll notice your arms arent really moving but you get a tight contraction in back.then try this with the weights.

If only i can find an exercise that hits my chest like that:lol:

17. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Look at that f&*%in' tricep holy sh%t! Please excuse my French. ;]

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I agree, I'm blessed with a wonderful family. Also, your boyfriend is "aces" in my book! ;) Thank you both!

Reading though this thread, I have to admit I was blown away by all the comments about my arm. I post so many pictures of my progress I didn't think yet another picture of my tricep would even be noticed. I think you may have hit on the reason why it stands out a little more. I didn't think about the fact that you guys pretty much only see me when I'm all pumped up (looking bigger, but less defined) and in gym clothes.

I think I'm going to start taking my post-workout pictures after my shower in street clothes, standing next to Lisa. :lol:

Thanks for the comments!

Thank you very much! Wow. I'm pleasantly numb after reading all these comments. It's most unexpected and appreciated to hear these things from my peers. Thank you!

Aw, man, I'd never fight you. That'd be like hitting my sister.

;) Kidding, of course. Thanks, Dom. :)

I sure do! They are wonderful people. :)

Ahem. I'll let Lisa answer that if she wants to. ;) I'll just say she got her body the old-fashioned way: genetics.

Definitely my favorite, too. Everyone is so happy. It really captured the mood of the whole day. :nod:

I think it's also because I didn't have a pump, my muscles look more defined, but they're actually a good 1.25 inches smaller than they are when I post them after a good arm workout!

Thanks, escher! You are looking pretty massive these days yourself! :tu:

I love them, too! They are all Frigidaire "Professional" series. I have some more pictures of them here, if you are interested: http://www.twowiresthin.com/r2005/index.html

:o You guys are too much. Thank you. :)

Man, I'm running out of ways to say 'thanks'. I'm sincerely flattered by these comments. It's a good feeling to know that others can tell you work hard on your body even in street clothes. :tu: Maybe one day I'll be so big I won't even have to roll my sleeves up. ;)

Wolfstriked,
    Thanks - that's very clear to me now. I'm stoked about my next back workout (Tuesday!)

Isn't it ironic that arguably my best tricep shot is while I'm drinking ALCOHOL?!? :lol: Myabe I should photoshop in an ATW protein shake?

Thank you for the compliment. :)

19. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I blasted my legs real good tonight. I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach right now, but I'll live. I changed up my workout; it's a little bit lower volume, but very intense.

First of all, I moved barbell squats to the front of my workout and went extra heavy with lower reps. I followed the squats up with some high volume (but very heavy) leg presses. I finished off my upper legs of with some heavy dumbbell lunges. I forgot how much lunges hurt - I thought I was going to die after my last set of those! I closed out the workout with some high-volume calf work.

So, this is what I'll be doing for the next 3 weeks:

UPPER LEGS
    4x8 Barbell Squats
    4x20 Leg Presses
    4x12 DB Lunges

CALVES
    4xBurnout DB calf raises

20. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

That shot can be used as a poster for alcohol consumption. "Drink our wine post-workout and get RIPPED!"

My sister (14) saw me looking at that pic and asked me "Who is that overly muscular dude standing next to that guy?". Haha.