1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

i think he's still following the SGX routine basically, so im guessing he still cant post it.

2. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Ohh, I thought during SGX he also followed his own routine, except maybe leg day. Anyway, not a big deal. If it's posted I'm just curious to see what it looks like. :tucool:

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hey KT -

Actually, SwoleCat said I could talk about my splits and exercises when I was on SGX, so it's not a problem. I'm not using the standard SUP2 weight training program for my bulk, I'm doing my own higher volume workouts, which are similar to the SGX workouts.

Here are my splits:

Monday: Cardio
    Tuesday: Back & Traps
    Wednesday: Chest & Abs
    Thursday: Cardio
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: Delts & Traps
    Sunday: Biceps & Triceps

The training principles I'm following for my bulk are pretty simple:

* 3-4 exercises per body part (with certain exceptions, such as traps and calves).
    * 4 sets per exercise.
    * 8-10 reps per set.
    * Keep it intense: 1 minute rest between sets, 2 minutes rest between exercises. I take two minutes between sets for squats and deads.
    * Strict form.
    * Approximately 2 second concentric, squeeze, 3 second eccentric.
    * Mind/muscle connection at all times - FOCUS.

I change exercises every 3 weeks or so. Here was tonight's back/traps workout:

BACK
    4x10 Low cable rows
    4x10 Weighted wide-grip pull-ups
    4x10 Bent-over dumbbell rows
    4x10 Deadlifts

TRAPS
    4x12 Dumbbell shrugs

Total workout time was under 45 minutes, including warm-ups.

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Holy cow. What a trip. Fantastic!

I keep thinking after each set of pictures that you post "Well, what's he going to do now? You can't improve on perfection." And yet, each time you do.
    :claplow:

5. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

Sorry Chris & John for a lack of reply, had some nasty personal stuff going on the past few days...

Back on topic: when does active recovery turn into overtraining?

6. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

john, do you still train to failure? or with this scheme, do you use % of 1RM to come close to failure, but never reach it?

one thing i might propose John - despite your success with a high volume routine, it may prove beneficial to every couple work outs toss in a low-rep work out. Possibly doing some 10X3 or 8X3. Not so much to do any of that "shocking" business, not sure i believe too hardily in that, but to focus on your nervous system/strength progression.

Low reps may not solely build tons of muscle (certainly they can for some) but they DO build your nervous system and strength better than higher rep schemes. Just a thought.

7. karatetricker

My question about all this high vs. low volume workout success is, didn't you use Max-OT, a rather low volume lifting program for your last, extremely successful bulk?

And just to throw it out there, I highly dislike low volume for similar reasons to you, I love my lifting workouts and don't feel fully satisfied after only 20-25 mins. However, I was just curious about your thoughts about the success of your last low volume routine.

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I train to failure, yes. If my plan is to do 4x10 but I can get more than 10 reps up on any of those sets, then I'm damn straight going to do it and increase the weight next week. "Failure" (to me) means if I struggle and barely get the last rep up or break form, that's when I'm done with that set; I don't necessarily have to have the weight come crashing down on the safety bars.

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Yes, I sure did. MAX-OT is a great program.

I'm not sure I'd classify MAX-OT as "low volume". I was doing 3x6, 3-4 exercises per body part. Not high volume, but not as low as SUP2's STS program.

I just want to try something new this time, it's really that simple. I like trying different things to see how I respond. That's how I learn. Seeing how I responded on SGX with a higher volume program gave me the idea to try something like that for my bulk. I mean, I was adding mass on a caloric deficit! I thought to myself, "Imagine how I'd be doing if I were on a sound bulking diet?" Well, we're going to find out!

10. karatetricker

Good deal. I thought the reason for the change to higher volume was because you know it works, but it had just occurred to me that you know a "lower" volume also works, for you. Either way, considering both have proven success, I definitely know why you would go with the higher volume. :tucool:

11. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

No pictures tonight, I'm too tired to do anything but sit here and drink my protein shake. I'm so shaky that I dropped my Nextel twice just walking form my gym to my office, and when I went to grab my mouse I knocked it off my desk with the back of my hand.

Excellent workout! My left shoulder hurt a little by the time I got to my cable crossover work, but other than that no problems.

I did a "back to basics" chest workout. I'll do this for the next few weeks. Here's what I did:

CHEST
    4x10 Flat bench press
    4x10 Incline bench press
    4xburnout dips (body weight)
    4x10 High cable-crossover (lower chest - standing upright)

ABS
    4x25 Weighted decline crunches
    4x15 Vertical leg lifts

Workout took just over 45 minutes.

12. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

Nextel makes sturdy phones. I dropped mine down the stairs (3 flights of stairs in fact) and it's still working fine. It hit every step on the way down. That was over a year ago.

Do you use the same weight for both flat and incline bench press? I'm asking because personally, I can't use the same weight for both. The incline bench weight has to be lower. I'm wondering if it's the same for you, and others.

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

They do, but we have ours on us 24/7. Over the last 5 or 6 years one of my co-workers has ruined 2 of them by dropping them in the toilet, he destroyed another one dropping it into a mud puddle and yet another one due to... let's just say stress. I've broken the flip on two of my phones over the years.

No, I reduce the weight for incline. I think most people do.

14. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

Ha! I almost ruined my phone when I dropped it in a puddle. It wouldn't power on at first and the buttons would act as if they were pressed down (making it play the ring tone without anyone pressing down on the volume up/down buttons). After a few days of laying around drying off, it was as good as new. I'm taking about an i730 phone.

Good to know. I've been pushing myself hard on the incline and still couldn't get my incline weight to equal that of my flat weight. It's nice to know that it's a normal occurrence.

15. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

Decline > Flat > Incline > Military

16. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

Really? Hm. I haven't benched on a decline in a while. I'll have to give it a go.

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Tonight was leg night! Another excellent workout. I smashed the living hell out of my finger and was bleeding all over my gym. I didn't want to stop because it would have screwed up my rest intervals. Actually, the blood and pain kind of motivated me. It hurt like hell, so I took it out on the weights. I pretended that I was in an Universal Nutrition "Animal" ad. :lol: (one of their new ads has some dude with his hands wrapped and blood coming through the wrap in the knuckle area. The "blood" looks like it was put on with a red sharpie).

Here was the workout:

UPPER LEGS
    4x12 Leg extensions
    4x10 Lying leg curls
    4x12 DB lunges
    4x8 Barbell squats (I went pretty heavy)

CALVES
    4x12 Standing DB calf raises

Workout took just over 40 minutes.

Cheat meal tonight! First cheat meal in almost 3 weeks, I think. :eat:

18. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

My dad broke one of our business phones because he left it on the back of his toilet one afternoon on accident and it was set on the vibrate ringer. He missed three calls, which managed to vibrate the phone right off the back of the throne and into the toilet...he was pretty surprised when he went in the bathroom looking for his phone and it was in the toilet...fortunately it was "clean" water and he was able to fish it out, at which point he realized what had happened. We still give him a hard time about it two years later...:lol:

19. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Okay, after reading this I go to animalpak.com to find this new ad (their ads are always pretty good, imho). It wasn't there, so I tried Google Images. Well I type in "animal pak blood" - nothing. But typing "animal pak" DID give me a lot of results.

But that isn't the point of my post. The funny thing was, the 5th image, and TONS MORE images, were right from our very own Skippy Podar's website!

Skip, if you're reading this, what in the world is this!!? It's hilarious, I do have to admit!

[​IMG]

20. LarryNC

LarryNC Well-Known Member

oh my god, ahahaha!