1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Yesterday was a perfect day for riding - cool and clear. The trails are in good shape thanks to a couple days of rain earlier in the week. This is my first video using my GoPro HD mounted on a chest mount. Today I think I'll raise the camera higher on my chest.

NSFW music.

2. BusyChild

BusyChild Well-Known Member

I'm primarily a road biker commuting to work when the weather permits but all these off road videos make we want to get an off road bike and RIDE!!

3. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

It's so much fun that it feels illegal. :tucool:

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Soldiers Creek, November 7, 2010.

Today I met up with about 8 new friends that I met on the Internet. These are all great riders, and just awesome people in general.
    01-SC-NOV-7-2010.jpg

A few more of the gang. Michael (Chilipepper) is wearing the red hydration pack. He's the one I originally contacted to set this whole thing up and is a really super guy with a great attitude. Chili's been riding BMX since he was a kid, and has very strong skills, obv. His bike is a custom FS monster sled that I think weighs more than I do. The kid on the right is Chili's son, Joco, and he can really ride! Joco loves big jumps (way bigger than anything at Soldiers Creek), and excels at them.
    02-SC-NOV-7-2010.jpg

A few more of today's group. The guy in the blue shirt (Derick) was very fast and extremely good. Very cool guy. Loved his Specialized Big Hit FSR. The two guys in the middle (Shayne and Dylan, facing the camera) are brothers, and they were pretty much fearless. I liked how they used the whole trail, everything was a hop, a manual, a jump or a pump.
    03-SC-NOV-7-2010.jpg

This is Scotty. Dude could really ride, had zero fear and was just a super cool guy. He popped a sweet manual and tried to ride it through a big stretch of thick, tar-like mud. He came SO close to making it through, but right at the end the mud just sucked his tire down and he flew face-first into a palm trunk, cutting his face. I don't even think he noticed - RIDE ON!
    04-SC-NOV-7-2010.jpg

Almost everyone rode full squish bikes. Chili broke his chain on some tech (upside down bike), and we were all way ahead of him at the time. He wound up walking his bike all the way back to the car to fix it. I had a chainbreaker, too. Wish I'd stayed with him.
    05-SC-NOV-7-2010.jpg

My GoPro was somehow in picture mode the whole day, so no video. :(
    06-SC-NOV-7-2010.jpg

My new friends showed me some trails I'd not been on before. Lots of roots and big logs like the one ahead. Amazingly I made it over all of them without falling or getting hurt.
    07-SC-NOV-7-2010.jpg

Roots and logs a-plenty out here.
    08-SC-NOV-7-2010.jpg

I really had to step up my game today. I am tired, but very happy with how I rode. I learned a lot just from watching and talking with everyone. Incredible day! :)
    09-SC-NOV-7-2010.jpg

5. erictuley

erictuley Well-Known Member

Hey John interesting take on your blog today. I also changed my fitness goals a couple of years ago getting more into a CrossFit style of training. Are you going to be putting up updated training /and more importantly your diet plan this go around since your lifestyle goals have changed?

I would be interested to see if you take more of a Paleo / Zone type of approach or not.

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Yes - my daily diet will be tracked on BodyShop. I don't bother tracking my diet when I'm maintaining anymore, but I always do when I'm actively cutting or bulking. Details of my workouts will also be posted.

7. stevemrdcs

stevemrdcs Active Member

I wondered when you would look at going towards the smaller side after starting mountain biking. I've been a competitive cyclist for 20 years and being smaller is what we usually obsess over. Good luck with your cut.

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

This is how I spend my lunch hour. :lol:

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks (don't need luck, however :)).

While I don't race, everything in biking seems to come easier with less weight. :nod:

10. stevemrdcs

stevemrdcs Active Member

Absolutely. I know you don't race, but if it ever crosses your mind I believe you would be very good at it. You are an extremely motivated individual. You have great cycling races down in Orlando. We come down from Georgia and do some criterium races in your town.

11. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Wekiwa State Park: Mountain biking from Marker 18 to Camp Cozy

I tried to keep things interesting with plenty of comments. Lots of roots and stumps on this section of trail. Good fun, just have to stay alert!

Here's part I of II:

Part II of II:

12. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

I'm getting motion sickness from watching. :lol:

Seriously, that's a good looking challenging trail. I wish I had more time for mountain biking over here. Not much in the way of open trails though.

Keep the videos coming. I've been enjoying mountain biking through your lens.

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

That's great to hear - thanks, Maui! :)

14. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

LOLed at your wheelie video, because of the strip in your yard. Now that's dedication. How did Lisa react?

I'm still trying to learn to wheelie and bunny hop. I am finding that knee, elbow, and shin guards are a necessity for me unless I want to be scabbed up for the better part of a week. Our trails out here are pretty full of gravel and rocks. :blank:

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

:D

Lisa was pretty cool about it. I caught a little hell. :spaz:

Yeah, I'm usually pretty banged up. I guess I should wear some shin protection, but part of me wants to feel the pain as added incentive to get it right. :lol:

bunny-hop-ow.jpg

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Pictures and video from Thanksgiving. :)

Let's just get this one out of the way first (if you don't already know, the cheesy Thanksgiving tricep photo has become a tradition around here). :o
    01_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

Me and Lisa. :dreamy:
    02_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

A few of me and Loki.
    03_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

04_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

05_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

Lisa chopping herbs.
    06_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

Lisa and Loki.
    07_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

Lisa's parents.
    08_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

Loki, starving to death obv.
    09_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

Lisa and her mom.
    10_thanksgiving_2010.jpg

Short video of us fawning over Loki.

17. cymbals

cymbals Active Member

Great pics and a really sweet vid of Loki, our pup Toby really likes Thanksgiving too. Loki is in geat shape for his age. Thanks for sharing.

18. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the vid and pics. Loki is a beautiful dog. You have a wonderful family, John. You're truly a lucky man. As an animal lover I connected with that "spotlight" on Loki. I just adapted an abused cat who is blind in one eye, with limited sight. I am looking forward to giving her the same quality love as you and Lisa give to Loki. :tucool:

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I enjoyed the stills and the video John. Thanks for sharing.

20. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

My view is, if you ain't bleedin', you ain't ridin' hard enough.

Awesome video of Loki. I laughed at how fast he cleaned that bowl. And 16 years old, that's amazing. He's obviously happy and healthy. You and Lisa have obviously taken incredible care of him.