1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Ouch...that looks worse than I imagined. Hope you get well man, and you'll be back on the trails before you know it!

2. ohaistranger

ohaistranger Active Member

Yikes, hope that heals up soon!

3. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Yikes, I hope that heals up soon

Also major kudos for doing a leg workout after that :tucool:

4. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

I was eating, but it's cottage cheese, and I don't think anything can make cottage cheese more disgusting for me than it already is;)

Here's hoping you heal up well, and that if there must be a scar, that it be a really really cool one:tucool:

5. HalfGorilla

HalfGorilla Active Member

I wish you a speedy recovery John...

Ahhhh it all reminds me of why I stopped with the crazy mountain biking a couple of years ago.

I too cracked my lip open about 10 yrs ago (then I discovered fullface helmets, broke bones in my foot (hit a jump too hard landed wayyyy past the landing), and probably the worst of all a dislocated shoulder which was out of place for about 1.5 hours due to being in a remote location. Plus more cuts, gouges and lost skin that I care to think about. But chicks dig the scars right? :)

Have a think about buying a fullface helmet and some body armour... :D

6. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Thanks a lot everyone. :)

Today was not such a good day. The pain is pretty bad now, and the swelling became worse and worse as the day wore on. I had a chicken breast with brown rice for meal #2, and managed to get it down, but it was not easy. Chewing hurts, and I can barely open my mouth to get the food in. I drank the rest of today's meals.

I did hit the gym (leg day), but almost as soon as I started lifting my mouth began to fill with blood. The wounds on the inside of mouth are still pretty raw, and I guess the straining that comes with lifting heavy (this is a core week) was too much. I spit the blood out a couple times, but it started to interfere with my breathing so I had to stop. :(

Tomorrow is a cardio-only day, and hopefully by Wednesday's chest/delts/triceps workout my mouth will be far enough along the recovery path to not bleed while I'm lifting. Looking forward to solid food again, too. Hopefully the swelling will start to subside a bit over the next 48 hours.

I took this picture this morning for the wasteland crew. As you can see from my shirt, I'm having a bit of a problem keeping liquids in my mouth. :o

lip_injury_stitches.jpg

7. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Back in 96 I was on holidays with the family and I ended up with an absysed tooth. I had been taking strong pain killers for the past day or so and had a doctor come out to prescribe antibiotics. I took two tablets and thought I would lie down. The wife and kids went down to the pool for a swim. After a while I was hungry as I had been unable to eat for a couple of days. The only thing that I could handle then was coco pops with milk and left to go really soggy. As I was preparing them I passed out. I come to with my face in the bowl, so I thought it better to lie down. As I turned to walk back into the living room I passed out again. When I came to I was flat on the floor ( concrete) with blood everywhere, I grabbed a tea towel and covered my face and crawled into the lounge and got up on the couch.

When they all came back my ife freeked out, she thought someone had come in and bashed me, I didn't realise until the next day when I was able to have a shower that I had split my lower lip, had a gash on the nose and my cheeks were swollen and an eye was black. Seing John's pic there reminded me of that time.

When ventured out I used to get some strange looks and always asked "what the other guy looked like" I found out that I had overdosed on pain killers and the antibiotics tipped me over the edge. I still carry scares on the inside of the lip and on the nose.

I feel for you John.

8. OscOst

OscOst Active Member

It's astonishing how the body can repair itself when accidents happens. I feel for you and hope you'll get good really soon. :)

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Well wishes for a speedy recovery. Sounds like you are doing better already, and it's not an injury that will stop your workouts.

And welcome to the Bike War Wounds club! Keep wearing that helmet!

10. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Geez, John. :eek: I was happy to read in today's update that you're feeling better.

11. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Here's the video footage of the accident and what happened after, along with my commentary. The volume is fairly low, so you might need to turn up the sound a bit.

12. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

OUCH! That picture says it all. Glad it wasn't worse than it could have been. I wonder if a mouthguard would have helped at all, nothing you could do know, but for future use.

13. stefanjagger

stefanjagger Active Member

Just got a bit unlucky... and the last pic is funny.

You = :p

Get well soon! :)

14. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Dang...they shoulda made that downward plank a little wider. That trail also doesn't look very forgiving. In a few places, it looks like if you mess up and go off the trail, that you will fall about 6 feet off of the edge into the ditch.

You can certainly tell from the vid that you went straight to the ground ... glad that you didn't suffer more extrensive injuries. Still though, I have to admit that I lol'd a couple of times at Lisa's reaction....especially when she looked over while you were on the bikes.

15. euan

euan Active Member

Sorry to read about the accident John - hope you recover quickly!

16. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

Nasty spill man...and you were right, Lisa's reaction was great. She loves you man. :)

ETA on saddling back up?

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Oh! You see the hands go out right as you drop! Good thing you didn't hurt your hands/wrists more than you did!

I wish I has footage of my bike accident--I flew forward over the bike handles rather than down and landed about 4 feet in front of my bike. I'm sure the film of me flying through the air would have been hilarious.

My bro's reaction was pretty good too:

"Are you hurt? Are you bleed? Are any bones sticking out?"
    "No, I'm good. Just a bit banged up."
    "Permission to laugh?"
    "Go ahead."
    "BWA-hahahahahahaha!!"

At least he checked that I was ok before falling to the ground in fits of laughter!

Feel better, John, and heal quickly.

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

It really is a challenging set of trails, and you're right--they are not forgiving at all. There are quite a few places that something simple as hitting a root the wrong way, misjudging a hop or coming into a turn a little too quickly could end very bad.

The thing about these videos is that they don't properly convey a lot of the hazards. There are big roots sticking up everywhere, jagged rocks, sharp broken tree stumps jutting out all along the trail, narrow trails that are just inches from 6-12 foot drops into a rocky creek that has more pesticide and run-off than water... They are very technical trails, and they require constant attention and focus to make it out in one piece.

Another thing that these videos don't do a very good job of conveying are all the elevation changes. There are drops of 2 feet that barely even show up in the video.

Anyway, I put so much focus on my epic fail from this past Sunday that an otherwise very solid day of riding has gone ignored. Here's one of my best speed runs (save for a couple minor mistakes) of both trails at Soldier's Creek. I made this run shortly before my faceplant accident on January 24, 2010.

19. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

John, how do you know which way is the "right way" to be traveling on the trails? I assume they are one-way, but I can't seem to figure out how you'd know...are there markings I'm missing?

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

There are no markings, and that's why I ran some poor guy off the trail the very first time I went down it. :(

I've seen other people make the same mistake, and always tell them to turn around. This past Sunday I saw some guy going the wrong way, and I told him so. He said, "Oh, really?" and then continued going the wrong way with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and his ~7 year old son trailing behind him. :mad:

Later that day the same idiot was still going the wrong way. I was on the trail, and Lisa said to him, "You're still going the wrong way, and my husband is going to be coming FAST from the other direction." I guess he finally turned around because I never saw him again.

I really should take some boards and spray paint, make some signs and nail them to trees at each entrance. The problem is there are a lot of places to enter these trails.