1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Any wipe-out you ride away from makes for a great story!

What I hate is when the path goes between two very close trees--I always feel like I'm not going to fit through, which is a pretty stupid thought: My shoulders are broad, but not broader that bike handles, and bikes are obviously making it through!

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I've gone over ATV handlebars many times, so I'm a pro at taking a dive. But I have yet to face-plant and/or <insert bodily injury here> with pedal-power... I'd like to keep it that way. I'll stick to the wussier trails for now. :nod:

It takes me a half-hour to get out there and I live pretty close to it... more like an hour+ when you take into account strapping the bike down and other miscellaneous stuff. It'd probably be more like an hour's drive for you, if not more. I think it's worth it. Good beginner trails, if a bit sandy in spots. And you'll see some snakes out on the trail, trying to warm themselves. . It is in the middle of BFE, after all.

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I've already done it twice since I got my bike in mid-October. :o It's not so bad.... :twitch:

I was going to ask you about that. Some of the Youtube videos I came across definitely looked to have some sandy sections...

I really hope Lisa doesn't read my journal tonight: if she sees your post she'll never go out there. I'm serious, she's such a girly-girl. This weekend we were standing under a tree chatting and she cried out because a bird flew off, causing a small amount of bark to fall near her. I have this on video.

Last night I began to put together a video of outtakes from this past weekend. There's some funny stuff. For example, Lisa almost wrecked her bike because I simply mentioned that there was a little mud on her upper chest. I'm serious.

I don't think she's going to let me post the video, though. :(

4. euan

euan Active Member

I think I speak for all of JSF (read: the small subset of us interested in mountain biking :p) when I say that you should go out there and get some footage of you nailing the see-saw :nod:

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Are you kidding? I'm off tomorrow and it's first on my list of things to do. :dance: :D

6. euan

euan Active Member

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Lisa, Roger (Bluestreak) and I at Big Tree riding the off-road trails.

Unfortunately some of the footage didn't survive or wasn't recorded at all by accident: a nice run of me following Roger, and what was easily my best run of the complete circuit didn't make it. :(

I do have some pretty cool footage of me trying the teeter-totter that I fell off of last time (you'll have to watch it to see what happens), and also a couple nice wipe outs.

More details are in this morning's Daily News update.

[YOUTUBEhd]n6s8M1WVrE8[/YOUTUBEhd]

9. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Great video! I love Chris Cornell's music to the video - we saw him in concert last year and he is totally awesome. Very fitting. :guitar: Who was the band singing the Van Halen? Good guitar work.

It is 18 degrees here with a wind chill of 0. My bike is frozen out in the workshop. Keep the videos coming!!

10. euan

euan Active Member

Yes! Nailed the see-saw :tucool:

11. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

You're a good sport, man. :nod:

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

That was from the Van Halen tribute album (tough finding music that YouTube doesn't auto-mute :blank:). That track was Jani Lane (Warrant) and George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob). :nod:

Damn... I'll refrain from complaining about the 85 degree heat yesterday.

I have to admit, it was nice to find myself rolling away from the teeter-totter rather than crawling away from it. :)

:o

--

Guess what? I was able to recover quite a bit of footage from the SD card using a file recovery program. I have the first three runs, including the run of me following Roger. Unfortunately my 3rd (and best) run of the hard trail was never recorded. I'll get something edited together and posted ASAP. :nod:

13. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

:nod:

Seeing what everyone up north is dealing with, I get chills just watching the news.

Oh joy! Now everyone can see how mediocre I am. :blank:

*Sigh*.

Practice.

I survived relatively unscathed. A few minor scrapes and the only sore spot is the shoulder that went into the tree when I ate it crossing that 2x8. Remember how we said you typically "end up going where you're looking"? I was looking at the beam - right up until I looked up and saw the tree at the end. :doh:

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Here's the additional "lost" footage from Wednesday. It's mostly us talking after a couple of early runs, and then me acting as chase cam while Roger tackles one of the trails.

15. jperrine

jperrine Well-Known Member

From 12/11's update: I did a quick search and it sounds like I was hit with something called an "ocular migraine". There was absolutely no pain (and I've never had a migraine of any sort in my entire life), but my sinuses have been pretty crazy the last few days. Apparently ocular migraines are caused by blood flow restriction to the eyes, and are harmless. It lasted about 20 minutes, and then went away. Scared the crap out of me until I figured out what was going on. Any of you guys had something like this happen?

John - I've had ocular migraine's before. Usually stop after 20-40 minutes and have been harmless. They've happened after a prolonged time of greater than normal stress.

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks for posting this. I heard from a bunch of people today who have experienced these things. I can't believe I've never even heard of them.

Most of the people who wrote to me today said that ocular migraines always precede an actual migraine headache (I've never had one of those, either). I experienced absolutely no pain or headache today.

While I'm very happy that this seems to be a rather benign issue, it freaked me out big time this morning. I thought something was seriously wrong with me!

17. jperrine

jperrine Well-Known Member

I've never had headaches with them and they happen very rarely. It freaked me out the first time it happened, also.

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Yeah man, I thought something was seriously wrong with me.

Now I sort of know how Sissy Spacek's character felt in the opening shower scene of "Carrie". :eek:

19. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I've been outside practicing, and I finally manged to nail a bunny hop today! It was pretty weak, but there's definitely some air between the rear tire and the ground :spaz:

first-bunny-hop.jpg

I have a long way to go, but this is still a nice milestone. :nod:

20. Devery

Devery Well-Known Member

Thanks John for the info regarding helmet cams, looks as though I might need to get me an early Christmas gift :D.

I need to figure out why some of the YouTube videos takes so long to download. Enjoying the helmet cam videos. Cycling definitely helps me see a different part of my local environment while keeping active.