1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Lisa is out of town, so today I went out to the Seminole-Wekiva trail by myself. It was an awesome ride! I did 29 miles. My average speed to the last trailhead (halfway point) was 15.0 MPH. My average speed for the entire trip was 13.7 MPH, and that included a couple miles of off-road riding.

I told Lisa I wouldn't go looking for the river by myself, but I met a couple of women at the last trailhead and they told me how to get there. Turns out there is a hidden trail that runs along Markham road, and that trail runs into another trail that goes to the river (where those two trails meet is where I took the below picture).

Yeah, I decided to go. Sorry, Lisa! :o
    01-seminole-wekiva-trail-2009.11.15.jpg

So here I am at the river. Unfortunately the last 100 feet or so are down a steep embankment, and it's totally overgrown. I didn't feel like getting bit by a snake all alone in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't attempt to make my way down to the river's edge (there didn't look as if there was any sort of clearing there, anyway).
    02-seminole-wekiva-trail-2009.11.15.jpg

This is the view into the thick forest to the south of the river trail...
    03-seminole-wekiva-trail-2009.11.15.jpg

Here's the route I took to the river from the Markham Station trailhead. Unless I'm far more tired than I thought I was, there appears to be a large flaccid penis on the map to the south of the trail.
    04-seminole-wekiva-trail-2009.11.15.jpg

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Pretty cool to go exploring off-road! I'm used to my off-roading adventures being gas-powered on my ATV, so being on a moutain bike under my own power was new territory for me. I wish I'd have known you were going out there... I'd have driven to that side of town to ride with ya.

I went out to the Snow Hill trail along the Little Big Econ today. Absolutely perfect weather for it. This was the first time I attempted something non-paved. I'm kind of upset at many of the moutain biking websites, they seem to want you to pay to get access to trail maps, so I went out there with somewhat limited knowledge. I did get a little lost, but it's not hard to find your way (or more importantly... find your way back!). It's an easy trail to follow, well maintained... it could certainly use more directional signage (which there wasn't a whole lot of). It's a bit sandy in spots, especially near the well-worn trail head... I'd say the worst part about it is there are quite a few blind curves following the river, so you have to watch for riders coming at you in the opposite direction. This trail can be ridden pretty fast by more experienced riders, and sometimes they're advancing towards you at a serious clip and you don't know it until they're almost on top of you because of the twists and turns. Not good for someone like me... who's just getting back into riding, and riding off road for the first time since I don't remember when.

I had fun. :tucool: No pics, though... it is a pretty scenic ride. My only camera is a dSLR... not exactly practical for carrying on the trail, not to mention if I take a spill, I don't want to sacrifice such an expensive piece of equipment. Probably not very challenging for a more advanced rider, but I'm sure my hips/legs will feel it tomorrow morning.

3. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Hey Rog, I knew you were an avid ATV rider, but I didn't know you were into biking!

Are you talking about singletrack.com? They do charge for the topo maps, but the interactive maps and the shared routes are free (but not available for all trails, unfortunately).

Here's a fairly crude map of Snowhill.

This is something I've heard about Snowhill, and it's kept me from checking it out.

It's a bit of a drive, but Santos is supposed to be awesome. A bit closer to home, someone at the bike shop told me that the off-road action on the Seminole Trail system around Big Tree is pretty good.

I can't wait to get my HD helmet camera. Even my little point and shoot is an annoying encumbrance.

We have to go riding sometime. I'll bet Malnar and his wife Candy would like to go, too. Maybe some other local JSF'ers as well.

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Rog, check out http://www.everytrail.com. Here's Snowhill, for example.

They have apps for most phones on their site that allow recording of routes using GPS. They say a Windows Mobile app for smartphones like my HTC Touch Pro is coming soon, and I'll definitely try that out when it's available.

5. robmac

robmac Active Member

I'd be interested in meeting some JSF'ers at Santos, although I'd probably have to stick with the yellow beginner's trails. That's all that my $79 Wal-Mart bike and I can handle! :lol:

For some reason I've always wanted to cross this bridge:

[​IMG]

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I never really was into bikes. I bought a 1998 Raleigh M60 in Feb. 98 (Tanisha has a '98 Trek 800 Sport), put a few hundred miles on mine, got my first post-collegiate job, and basically never made time to ride it again. It's sat in our spare room for ten-plus years, collecting dust.

Until a couple months ago. When you started talking about getting a bike, I got inspired to de-mothball mine. An hour of wiping it down and a few adjustments later, it's good as new. I put a Cateye Enduro 8 on it and I've used it to go back and forth to the gym, mostly. 4.3 miles, one way (same hole-in-the-wall gym 1Fast/Becky use). It's a good warm up/cool down, and saves me from having to start either of my gas hogs for the short drive.

And I've been riding for 30 minutes late afternoon just around the neighborhoods to get in some cardio. After coming across the sandy spots in Snow Hill, it reminded me I'm a long way from having the cardiovascular depth I once possessed. :o

[​IMG]

I was in a hurry to find a map and get out there Sunday and didn't really do enough searching.

It's really not that bad... just something to beware. I was feeling adventurous, and really shouldn't have gone alone considering that trail's kind of in the middle of nowhere. I wasn't sure if T would have been too thrilled to go off-road (and she doesn't have a helmet yet, either) so when I had the chance, I strapped the bike to the Mustang and just went out there.

Snow Hill is close to UCF, one of the only off-road trails on this side of town, and it was a beautifully sunny Sunday, so there were quite a few bikes on the trail. I was being cautious as this was my first foray into off-roading under pedal-power. First time since I brought the bike home 11 years ago that the tires saw dirt.

Santos interests me big time, but I want to make some more trips to Snow Hill and get my confidence up. Seminole Trail sounds promising, we ought to try and hit it on a weekend. I mentioned Santos to T, but that's 90 miles away. I'd like to make a camping trip out of that one so we can spend a couple of days exploring. From what I read, the place is so huge you can spend a weekend there and never really have to hit the same trails twice.

I'm game. Even got a bike rack that fits on the Mustang, so if T's working, I can still do as I please.

I don't think my Blackberry Flip has GPS, but I have a GPS I keep with my ATV at my buddy's place in St. Cloud. It's a nice, compact handheld Magellan and I've mapped dozens of ATV trails with it. I really need to go pick it up.

Say the word and we'll pull a ride together. :tucool:

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Cool, Santos would be a fun place for a lot of us JSF'ers to meet up, hang out, do some riding and administer first aid on one another. We'll have to get something planned. :nod:

I think the first time Lisa and I go to Santos, however, we'll be doing it solo; she's pretty nervous about her first off-road experience, and I think she'd feel more comfortable with at least one trip under her belt before we all meet up.

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Initial impressions, pictures and test video of my new GoPro HD Helmet HERO in today's update.

9. euan

euan Active Member

I never knew you MTBed John - cool! You're lucky to have such excellent weather all year round for it - you'd have to see how muddy and wet some trails get over here to believe it! I came home today looking like I'd taken the bike for a dip in a mudbath. Good times :D

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Just got bikes about a month ago. I'm a total n00b, but loving every second! :)

11. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

12. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

You would so rock at the neighborhood watch. You just need a whistle.

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I'm the block captain. :o

14. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Ok, my photoshop skills totally suck.

Attached Files:

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

16. Nyred

Nyred Well-Known Member

John,
    I've been poking around and a member of this site since your first year of your transformation.

I've fallen off the wagon now and again, but now have decided to get this ole body back in shape.
    I'm looking for your initinal day to day transformation pictures.

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Hey Nyred,

You can find all of my pictures in the pictures section of the main site. :)

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Shot this video of Loki yesterday. :lol:

19. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

:lol:

It's great how pets get to know our routines...

20. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Did you shoot that with the helmet cam? I'd be interested in seeing some of your day-to-day activities, shot from John Stone perspective.

For example, a bench press video fom the helmet cam would be cool!