1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. justin6case

justin6case Active Member

I was actually thinking the same thing. What do you think John?

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Nope. I have an old knee injury that prevents me from doing any serious running. I don't even like running.

3. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Excellent choice of bikes, John! I bought my first Trek (Madone 5.2) this year. I was a little nervous at first, having ridden a custom built frame for the past ten years, but the Madone is more comfortable than the custom frame, that required me sending in about 15 body measurements! Trek makes great products and has a very good warranty.

I am a huge Cateye fan as well, having used one since about 1994. When I bought my Trek, I switched from a wired Astrale to a V2c wireless (2.4 ghz transmission!). I kind of wish I had gotten something with an altimeter, but oh well.

Anyway, glad to see you are approaching cycling like you approach everything else... all out! Also very happy to see that you and Lisa included skid lids with your purchase! We have a name for helmetless cyclists... P.O.D's.... Potential Organ Donors.

Now you just need a sticker for the Mercedes that says 'My other car is a Trek'

4. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

:nod:

That reminds me of a friend of mine who works in the ER, where they all call motorcycles "donorcycles." :lol:

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I posted these on my Facebook page, but thought I'd add them here for those of you who are not into the whole social networking thing.

I'm so proud of Lisa for completing this morning's bike ride! It was our longest ride to date: 20.41 total miles, 13.0 MPH average speed, 31.6 MPH top speed. The average speed would have been higher, but I stopped to take a few photographs. Here are the photos and a video:

These are the trees along the paved bike trail just outside of our subdivision.
    01-trees-at-start-of-bike-trail.jpg

A little further down the first leg of our local bike trail.
    02-start-of-the-ride.jpg

The trail goes off into the country a bit. Here are a half-dozen or so cows relaxing under the trees.
    03-cows.jpg

I call this the "Blair Witch" house. It's even creepier at dusk. I'm going to go in it. :scared:
    04-blair-witch-house.jpg

Lisa and I discovered a trail that runs between a very dense wood and a water treatment plant. We have to be careful here because there are so many squirrels!
    05-woods-trail.jpg

This is part of the trail that runs alongside the golf course in our subdivision.
    06-golf-course-trail.jpg

Video of my downhill Run @ 31.6 MPH:

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Lisa and I did a 28-mile bike ride today on the West Orange Trail in Orlando. Here are some pictures and a video. We had so much fun!

The entire West Orange trail is 22 miles long, but ~8 miles run through some pretty bad neighborhoods and commercial areas. We decided to start at the Apopka-Vineland outpost (mile marker 14) and ride to Killarney Station (mile marker 0). For those of you who failed math, the round trip totals 28 miles.

Here's Lisa just before we set off.
    01-west-orange-trail.jpg

Here I am at the Apopka-Vineland outpost just before setting off.
    02-west-orange-trail.jpg

The two miles between the Apopka-Vineland outpost and the Ingram outpost are beautiful!
    03-west-orange-trail.jpg

There are some very well-maintained orange groves along the trail.
    04-west-orange-trail.jpg

Lisa flying along!
    05-west-orange-trail.jpg

About 9 miles into our journey and arriving in the historic section of Winter Garden. Awesome!
    06-west-orange-trail.jpg

Lisa in beautiful historic Winter Garden. This is such a neat little town!
    07-west-orange-trail.jpg

There's a nature preserve about halfway between the Oakland outpost and the Turnpike bridge. We didn't have any way to secure our bikes and check the preserve out, but we will plan on doing that soon. It looks really cool.
    08-west-orange-trail.jpg

This is the start of the nature trail at the preserve.
    09-west-orange-trail.jpg

Lisa crossing the restored railroad bridge that crosses over the Florida Turnpike. This is a little less than a mile from the end of the trail (well, technically the start of the trail, but we came from the other way).
    10-west-orange-trail.jpg

At the halfway point in our 28-mile trek. The Cateye bike computer is amazingly accurate! We started 1/10th of a mile past mile marker 14, and here we are at mile marker 0.
    11-west-orange-trail.jpg

Commemorative plaque at Killarney Station.
    12-west-orange-trail.jpg

Heading back. The trail is so nice!
    13-west-orange-trail.jpg

The Live Oaks along the trail are ancient and majestic.
    14-west-orange-trail.jpg

A very old Live Oak by a placid lake.
    15-west-orange-trail.jpg

Here we are back at the Apopka-Vineland outpost after our 28-mile ride!
    16-west-orange-trail.jpg

Here's a video edited from several videos that I shot along the way:

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

8. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

wow, there are a lot of lakes in florida, that's crazy.

9. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

I'm envious of the weather in Florida that allows you to do all these outdoor activities year-round. Although, during the summer when it's so humid there, I'm glad I'm in the midwest.

Nice bikes! :tucool:

10. needachange

needachange Active Member

Looks like Gmaps Pedometer. Best site EVER! I use it all the time to map out my bike routes :tucool:

11. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Lisa and I spent the day at the awesome Seminole-Wekiva trail. This is a 14-mile trail (one way), but we did the first 3 mile section (there and back) twice along with a complete round-trip of the entire trail for a grand total of 34.4 miles! We only stopped long enough to take a few pictures and video. It was a great ride!

I am going to post the pictures now, but the video is going to have to wait until tomorrow. It needs editing, and I'm really tired! I have some stories to tell, too. We actually got semi-lost in the forest at the halfway point. I'll also post a trail map tomorrow.

Here are the pictures....

Here we are about to leave on our journey from the San Sebastian Prado trailhead.
    01-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

The trail was awesome! Everything from scenic wilderness to commercial business centers and busy streets lie along the route. Here is Lisa early in our ride.
    02-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

Lisa putting some muscle into it!
    03-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

I'm racing towards Lisa here.
    04-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

This is the Markham Woods tunnel.
    05-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

The beautiful trees along much of the trail help provide shade.
    06-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

Cows!!!
    07-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

This little calf watched me the entire time I was taking pictures and video. I wanted to pet her, but she didn't come close enough.
    08-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

There are some incredible lakes along the way. The eye-candy is pretty awesome.
    09-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

Horses! A guy we met had some apples, and he gave some to Lisa so she could feed one of the horses. They seemed to love all the attention that the riders gave them.
    10-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

I love this shot. :)
    11-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

We were pretty deep into the ride here.
    12-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

More awesome scenery.
    13-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

I saved my favorite nature picture for last. :dreamy:
    14-seminole-wekiva-trail.jpg

I'll get that video and the trail map up tomorrow. :)

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Interactive trail map can be found here.

Seminole-Wekiva trail route. The paved trail is 13.1 miles long (one way). We did the round-trip, plus we did a couple miles off-road (and got lost, see next satellite image). We also did the first 3 miles twice, for a total trip of 34.5 miles.
    seminole-wekiva.jpg

So we were were at the end of the paved trail, and looking for the Wekiva river here. There were no signs, we just knew that there was a mile-long dirt trail that was supposed to get us there. We found an unlocked gate with a semi-trail beyond, and thought that was it. We did not find the river--not even close--and we got turned around. Lisa was very upset during all of this. We eventually found our way to the road, but it was blocked by a padlocked fence, razor wire and a "NO TRESPASSING" sign. Oops. We managed to get our bikes and ourselves over the fence, and then we walked about a half-mile along a busy road (with no shoulder) back to the trailhead. Of course we still had a 14 mile bike ride back to our car ahead of us, too. I have some video of us lost, and the aftermath, which I'm working on now. Hopefully Lisa will let me post it. She was not happy.
    seminole-wekiva-OFF-ROAD2.jpg

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Video of our awesome 34.5 mile bike ride on the Seminole-Wekiva trail. We also ventured off-road into the Wekiva National Forest, where we became lost. Video of us lost and the aftermath is included, so make sure to watch to the end. Lisa is a good sport for allowing me to include that footage.

14. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

That video you posted this morning for the helmet cam was insane. I have not been on a bike in years, but your recent updates and pictures and that video makes me want to go jump on a bike and hit some trails!!!

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Totally! That entire run was really impressive, but the footage starting around 2:58 was just sick. Some excellent riding there.

16. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

Is that the level where you want to take your riding to someday?

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I have no specific plans, I just want to keep getting out there and having fun. :)

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I'm selling my camcorder along with some extra accessories. It's the Canon Optura 30 Digital MiniDV camcorder. I've only used it like 3 or 4 times and it's in 100% perfect, brand new condition. Included is the camcorder, shoulder strap, AC power adapter, wireless remote, 720mAH battery, a spare extended run 1450mAH battery, external battery charger, MiniDV 60/90 digital video cassette and all instruction manuals. Asking $300 + $20 for ground shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states. Now asking $200. I'll also throw in a 1 year Platinum membership on the JSF Forums and JSF BodyShop ($100 value). Hit me up by email or PM if you are interested. PayPal or check is fine.

19. cymbals

cymbals Active Member

Great pics of some beautiful Fla. countryside. It's kinda funny that where you live, us northern folks consider vacationland in the cold months. I'd sure like to live there along about Jan.. Looks like you had a really nice vacay.:tucool::tucool:

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

This past vacation was probably one of the most relaxing and fun that I've had in a long, long time.

Now I can't wait to get out on the dirt trails. :)