1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

Talk to Mastover he'd be able to explain....

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I had to Google it. I've never even heard of such a thing, but people sure seem to swear by it. I even read some positive comments from people who use it after deadlifting. For $20.00 it sure can't hurt to try--thanks! I'm going to order one today...

Anyone else use one of these? Comments?

3. George

George Senior Member

Mannishboy swears by them. You might want to search his journal. :)

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Yup, foam roller technique is a very effective form of self-myofascial release. I can't tell you how many times I've hurt my back, especially my glutes, squatting. Pain is sometimes intolerable. With self-myofascial release I am back to normal within a week sometimes less.

The key, at least for me, is to find the point of muscle hypertonicity (the tender, injured spot) and maintain pressure on that spot for 30 seconds. Sometimes longer. This depends on your conscious ability to relax.

It helps reset the proprioceptive mechanisms of soft tissue, and IMO is more effective than static stretching once your workout is finished.

Luckily the gyms I train in have these foam rollers.

I'm sure it will help you out immensely, John. Good luck with it.

5. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

Think you have a pinched nerve kinda thing going on John? My Dad had back problems years ago, and now he's been fine for several years. His solution: back specific stretches every morning. He never forgets, and he's been fine.

#5805 DFS, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

:tucool:

Thanks, guys. I hit Andy up for some suggestions on the brand to purchase. It seems the quality of these rollers vary quite a lot.

I'm pretty sure it's a badly pulled muscle. I think a pinched nerve would feel a lot different than the sort of deep muscular pain I'm feeling.

7. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

I didn't write that thinking that it would benifit john's overall muscle gains. I figured that while injured, instead of continuing to eat a ton and not lift. He could lift gently and cut calories to minimize fat gains. Just an idea, obviously a different approach than others would take. I thought that doing something was better than nothing in this case. Apparently the injury isn't too bad though, so it's all good.

#5807 smuhhh, Nov 18, 2008
  8. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
  9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks, Gaz!

I didn't see any rolling of the lower back in that video, and I found some instructions online that also didn't talk about the lower back. Can the roller be used safely in that area?

---

In other news, I was just in my gym and it dawned on my that the leg extension/leg curl attachment for the Titan seems like it would make a perfect roller. It's about 6" across by 2' long (padded area)--pretty much the same size as the rollers I've seen. It's very firm with padding. What do you all think?

roller.jpg

10. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm far from an expert, but I don't think I've ever seen this recommended for the lower back. Most stuff I read by Cressey/Robertson indicates that lower back pain is almost always caused by an imbalance somewhere else, so they would probably tell you to concentrate the hip and upper thigh muscles to see if that helps. To take a wild guess, if you lack flexibility in the hips, the lower back will pick up the slack and you do not want that (see here).

Most pads of that nature are a little soft - how is the Titan attachment? My foam roller is very hard. Cressey and many others recommend using a tennis ball or lacrosse ball for certain parts of the body (glutes, peroneals, calves, plantars), and the roller needs to be of a similar "hardness".

More foam rolling/soft tissue stuff:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/feel_better_for_10_bucks
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/soft_tissue_work_for_tough_guys

Do you do much mobility stuff? If not, I would recommend you include some mobility stuff in your pre-lifting warm-ups, and maybe even pre-cardio.
    Joe DeFranco has some good stuff on this online.
    Lower body
    Upper body
    There's some soft tissue stuff in those as well as simple mobility drills.

#5810 gazareth, Nov 18, 2008
  11. swedishchef

swedishchef Active Member

You're welcome!

And I gotta say, felt pretty cool being mentioned on the front page of a site which I've visited almost daily since 2003/04 :).

Hope it works out, never been able to get my hands on a roller, but I've worn out a lot of tennis balls with great results.

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Great post, Gaz. :bow:

I've gone though the videos and articles (bookmarked/favorited as well), and it's all very interesting. I used my Titan attachment to do some of the foam stuff. It feels pretty firm to me. There's a layer of foam around the solid core, but it sounds like that's exactly what the PVC/foam rollers are.

Thanks again. Sage advice.

Thanks for the roller suggestions, and also being such a loyal reader of my daily ramblings. :)

13. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I replied down in my journal, but I got a foam roller with a PVC core for durability. I linked to one in my reply.

Cressey, Defranco, and Mike Boyle all have good foam rolling videos up on Youtube.

For instance:

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks very much, Andy! :)

You all have been unbelievably helpful. I really appreciate all the great information and suggestions. :nod:

--

I just finished my chest/triceps workout and it was insane. My back is hurting a little more than I'd like right now, but I couldn't stop myself. I'll write more about the workout in tomorrow's update.

Man, Friday afternoon right after I screwed up my back I never would have thought I'd be back in the gym with just one missed workout. I feel very fortunate.

15. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

/jealous JW mentioned in the post of the day.

John sorry to hear about your injury, but foam rollers really are gold, the harder the better. Also I would recommend a lacrosse ball on the bottom of the feet. I think it was Cressey that was talking about fascial chains and how you can reset them with this technique. You mentioned ice, what about anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen?

D

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I'm taking Aleve (Naproxen). It's wonderful. :tucool:

17. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you read this article? Eric Cressey disagrees with your thoughts on shin-scraping.

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Well, I think he's talking about not properly setting up with the bar too far away from the shins. I agree with him, and I don't do that. I setup properly with the bar centered over my feet (just past my ankles), then I bend my knees slightly so that my shins are touching the bar. I try to always keep the bar as close to my legs as possible throughout the lift. This is where the scraping happenes. This is correct, IMO.

Now I know some argue that singles are the only way to do deadlifts, and that you should reset after each rep, but I don't subscribe to that belief.

Cressey also talks about other deadlifting "no-nos", such as hyperextension, but look at a guy like Zen. He's always being criticized for hyperextension on lock-out, but he's fine.

The point is, I think there's some flexibility where deadlifting form is concerned.

19. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

John, Did you check Target? Thats where I got mine. It comes with a video as well. I gave one of those to my Dad for Christmas last year, one to myself and my friend! I use mine on my back and quads. Works awesome!!! Even when your back stops hurting I would still continue to use it to stretch everything else.

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

It seems like up until yesterday I was the only athlete on the planet not in on the foam roller secret. :lol:

I ordered mine online yesterday. I'm not scheduled to leave the house again until next month.