1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

John, I cannot tell you how glad I am that you're not "perfect" with regard to your training and nutrition. We always judge ourselves by comparing ourselves and what we do to others. It's actually quite motivating for me to see that your eating isn't always 100% and that you sometimes miss a workout and you still progress and keep going. Perfection in others isn't very motivating, in my opinion, because it just makes you feel inadequate when you can't reach that perfection yourself. (Perfection being a very relative term, of course.)

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I hear that sentiment expressed way more than the negative feedback I sometimes get from people who seem disappointed to learn that I'm not perfect.

I do feel some amount of pressure to be 100% consistent. While part of that feeling stems from the "negative" feedback I sometimes get when I falter, I have to admit most of it is my own doing. Part of the reason is because I'm very competitive with myself and I don't like to show "weakness", and part of it is my desire to set a good example.

So it's reassuring to read comments like yours. I guess it takes a little of the self-imposed pressure off of me, and also reminds me that I can still set a good example without being perfect.

Thanks for the feedback, Christy. :)

3. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

Something that crossed my mind about being "perfect" was the trap that you can fall into when you get fixated on making your body look a certain way, or any other fitness related goal. At some point you have to turn your brain off and just live life. I feel like I almost develop an unhealthy obsession with my cutting and get freaked out about the idea of even smelling something that isnt on my diet or staying up too late. There is a fine line between being consistant and starting to ambush your mental health. Man, it makes me feel sorry for the people around me that have to put up with "I can't eat that right now".

So anyways, I don't think there is anything wrong a "cheat" meal etc. to keep one's sanity.

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Wow, I'm beat! I've been out in the driveway detailing Lisa's new car since 8:00 AM this morning. It came out great!

As long as I was out there, I decided to go ahead and detail my car, too.

I'll start off with two group shots, and then post the pictures of Lisa's new car that I promised.

audi_group1.jpg

audi_group2.jpg

OK, here are some detailed shots of Lisa's new ride....

A couple from the front:
    audi_1_front_ext.jpg

audi_2_front_ext.jpg

From the rear (check that shine!):
    audi_3_rear_ext.jpg

The wheels are really cool looking:
    audi_4_wheel.jpg

S Line badge:
    audi_5_s_line.jpg

Front interior:
    audi_6_int_front.jpg

Instrument cluster/paddle shifters:
    audi_7_int_instrument.jpg

A/C controls, shifter, miscellaneous controls and main LCD display for bluetooth/cd/radio/SD/iPod/satellite radio/phone/navigation controls:
    audi_8_int_lcd.jpg

Rear interior:
    audi_9_int_rear.jpg

5. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

Man I love that Audi. . . So sexy. . .

House and landscaping look fabulous, John!

:tu:

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

John,
    Your cars look great. I hate to sound stupid, but how does one detail a car better then when it comes out of the dealership. To be honest, when I pickup a car at the dealership, it never looks that good again. I don't see how I could improve upon the intial condition a new car. Maybe I could take some of your tips, and improve the inside & out of my Ford Taurus. Thank you.

#5406 Shamie, May 25, 2008
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  7. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Car looks great, John. Are you a Zaino fan too?

8. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Hey John, nice cars. Is the mercedes a hard top convertible? Which model is it?

9. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Only thing I've used. Got a room full of show plaques 'n trophies to show for it! I have to order more, now that I think of it...

Wow, that is some deep black! Ya gotta love Zaino.

Paddle shifters? Cool feature. And it looks comfy.

The wheels are slick. The spoke design is nice for an OEM wheel, and shows off the big brakes well. It would have been nice had they done the caliper in a color other than silver. A nice black powder coat would have been enough to make them stand out. Beautiful brakes too easily overlooked. :confused:

Excellent car. Enjoy it.

-R

10. pedurrod

pedurrod Active Member

Those are two excellent machines. Beautiful too. They surely match the house.

Just be careful and don't get carried away while driving them. There's a LOT of power inside of those babies.

Congratulations.

11. ekomomai

ekomomai Well-Known Member

Congratulations Lisa and John!

Congratulations on the new purchase, on my last visit home I had an Audi A6 to drive and enjoyed every minute of it. It is a lovely smooth ride in a comfortable and classy interior. Enjoy in good health and happiness!

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thank you! :)

Oh, man. Where do I start...

The detail job that the dealers do SUCKS. They usually run the car through an auto wash complete with really crappy wax, then dry the car off with grimy rags. I've never been happy with any car I've picked up from the dealership. Lisa's Audi had water spots, dirt and even swirl marks. Here's how I detail a new car:

First I remove the existing dealership wax by washing the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Once the car is squeaky clean and free of wax, I dry it in my usual way (using an electric leafblower for a touch-less, streak-free and spot-free surface). Once the car is dry I carefully go over the entire painted surface with a claybar and a lubricant (Zaino Z-7 and water in a spray bottle).

If you are not familiar with claybars, they are used to remove embedded contamination from the paint finish that can not be removed using conventional cleaning methods. Yes, even brand new cars can benefit from claybars, as they often have small amounts of rail dust, brake dust and "industrial fallout".

After the claybar, I then I re-wash the car, but this time with Zaino Z-7 show car wash. The car is then dried again with the electric leafblower.

Once the car is dry, I apply 3 coats of Zaino Z-2 Pro Show Car polish combined with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive. I put on a coat of Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray after each coat of Z-2/ZFX polish.

Finally, I gloss the tires, clean the glass & mirrors, and use Zaino's leather protectant on the interior.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but with Zaino you only have to go through this once every 3-6 months. Now I can just wash the car, and finish up with a quick coat of Z-6 for a liquid-like shine that looks incredible. Zaino is the best stuff I've ever used, and I wouldn't put anything else on my cars. Here's the link to the Zaino store.

It's all I ever put on my cars. Best stuff in the world! :tucool:

Yeah, it's an SLK-350.

It's true. With each coat the shine gets better and better. I love their whole product line!

It's all for Lisa, and she's loving it. I'm so happy for her. :)

:scared:

I've been driving that Merc for 2 years and no wrecks or tickets yet! :D

Lisa let me drive it yesterday and it was a joy! I love my Mercedes, but I have to admit that I'm a little jealous.

When my lease is up in 2 years I'm getting a Viper, end of story. :nod:

13. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

haha, I love that the decision has been made:D

I don't think I'll ever buy a new or expensive car. Since buying my last truck I have hit it with a dirtbike, had a friend shoot an arrow into the tonneau cover, and most recently rear ended a lady. :bang:

14. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

Your method sounds similar to this guy I've seen linked at some car forums I go to. He does these utterly insane detail jobs (on the side from his normal job, seems to make good money at it too) where the cars come out looking like they've only got 4 miles on them. Swirl marks, deeply ingrained dirt and all sorts of other maladies. These cars go from looking like a car that hasn't been touched in over a year to a car that looks like it's never seen the outside of a showroom floor. I'm annoyed that I can't find any links right now because the before and after shots are just so amazing you almost want to call BS.

You wash your cars in the morning, while the temperature is still rising? I used to wash cars at a dealership back in college and I always hated washing cars in the sun on hot days. It's just brutal. The sun damn neared baked the soap into the car faster than you could even get it washed. When I've had to wash cars, I've always liked doing it in the evening, while the sun is going down and it's shady and cool outside because then I don't feel rushed to try and beat the sun's brutality.

The one thing I miss so much about one of the dealers I worked at was that they got their car washing water from a giant tank, which was filled with purely filtered water. The water was so clean that it never left any water spots. If you were just doing stock units or cars where there was no real rush, you could let them air dry because the cleanliness of the water meant there were never any water spots. It was amazing. Unfortunately though, that was the only dealer of the 4 that I worked at that did that. If I get my own house someday, I'm hoping I can get some sort of filtering system that will get the water that clean because drying a car fast enough to prevent water spots was always the thing I hated the most.

I've got to check out this Zaino stuff though, it seems like the go-to stuff for washing a car.

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

:doh:

I would like to see that link if you can dig it up.

I sort of did that with Lisa's 2004 Honda Civic the day before we traded it in. The car was a mess, but by the time I finished the above detailing procedure it looked outstanding. We got $500 less than the listed blue book value for her car in "excellent" condition, which I found amazing considering the car was only maintained mechanically and not so much aesthetically.

It's nice and cool here in the morning, and also my driveway is on the West side of the home so I can get the cars washed well before the driveway sees any direct sunlight at all. Zaino products can be applied in the sun, but I generaly pull them into the garage if it's too hot.

While I don't have filtered water to the outside hose bibs, I do have a whole house water softener that also softens the hose water. Having softened water is what really makes the difference when it comes to eliminating hard water stains on cars. One time I was washing my car and had just completed the final rinse. One of the neighbors started talking to me, and before I knew it 20 minutes had gone by. I just re-wet the car and dried it normally. Not a single hard water stain. I also use far less soap now that I have softened water. The water softener is probably one of the things I like best about the new house. It's awesome.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Those are two fine machines John and you have them looking great. I'm glad Lisa is happy with her new ride.

I'm also a fan of Zaino, but haven't the products have been sitting in my garage unused fo far too long. I really need to change that.

17. tsk2264

tsk2264 Active Member

Very nice! I love the brushed nickel trim in the interior. Goes very well with black.

Love the Zaino shine too. Nice work! I shouldn't be surprised at all that you use this stuff considering your high standards in your other product evaluations.

18. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I never see cars as luxurious as John's and Lisa's parked on the street where I live because they would be gone as soon as you turned your head. :eek:

Beauties, for sure. :tucool:

And I just bought a bicycle because I can't afford gas, and my 10 year old used car is about to be re-pocessed! LOL :doh:

I agree with you, John....I like Lisa's car much better. :cool:

19. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

Well, I've been searching since I posted that, but no dice. I posted on the forum where I saw it, but everyone suddenly doesn't know anything. Closest I could come up with is another guy who does detailing on the side, but his process is way more involved. He lists everything he uses at the top of each post and then takes a whole bunch of pictures throughout the whole process. The stuff comes out looking unreal. Do a google search for "Fminus detailed" and you can see all sorts of other cars he's done.

I'm still annoyed though, I really wanted to find out who that other guy was and see the S2000 he did, because I think I remember you had one at one point.

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks! :)

:nod:

Yeah, they couldn't get the wood trim that Lisa wanted, but once she saw the brushed trim she liked it even better.

I remember the first time I used Zaino back in 2004 on my S2000. I was blown away, and I've been a huge fan of their products ever since!

Thanks, Aram. :)

I call bullshit. You'd never ride a bike--it's too close to doing cardio. :lol:

Well, thanks for looking!

That detail job you linked to was phenomenal! That guy is amazing! :tucool: