1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I can't do 80g of dextrose every day while cutting to 6%. It just won't work with my sensitivity to carbs and the low carb/carb up diet I'm using.

I will definitely be trying Results on my next bulk, however. :nod:

2. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Whoa! Awesome! Can he come to El Paso and do some work for us? Our lawn pretty much looks like your first 3 pics. The guy that was doing ours broke my neighbors wall, left the job unfinished, ditched town, and left his kids and wife behind. Jerk all around.

3. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

4. Antimatter

Antimatter Well-Known Member

John, is your house in a relatively undeveloped area? Looks like a dream spot, right next to the bayou, can think of nothing better than sitting out of the porch with a big ol burrito and a tub of hot sauce, complete with some bud lights and hoppin in the pool under the florida sun.

Man, I miss daytona.

5. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

Was this an issue while on SGX?

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

:eek:

Thanks, Gila! :)

Well, we are pretty far away from the hustle and bustle of Orlando, but we're not exactly in the sticks. The subdivision is still being developed so there are some lots around mine that have either not yet been sold (future phase) or have been sold but construction has not yet commenced. Also, the lots are big so there's lots of room between the homes, which I like a lot.

AtLarge's "Results" is supposed to be taken 7 days per week--even on non-training days. SGX only called for dextrose on training days, immediately PWO. In theory those PWO carbs were not stored as fat.

Also, I did not diet down to 6% while on SGX.

Anyway, all that dextrose definitely made me puffy and water logged compared to a diet with no dextrose. I know my body, and I'm very carb sensitive. Some people are not, so it's not a problem.

Compare these photos, which were taken just one year apart. The first photo was taken on July 1, 2006 after completing SGX. The second photo was taken exactly one year later after cutting down with no dextrose (even PWO) in my diet. While there were a lot of other factors involved in the differences (including lower body fat in the 2007 picture), I'm convinced that eliminating dextrose gave me a "harder" more defined look:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

I'd say you have more of the 'hard look' because you have a ton more lean mass in the 2nd picture. You had tremendous growth in the lats and quads compared to the 1st. I'll agree that the first pic you look a little bloated, but you aren't really comparing apples to apples.

What were your stats when those pics were taken?

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Maybe not, but neither is comparing dextrose taken 3 or 4 times per week immediately PWO to taking dextrose 7 days per week.

My quads are actually an inch smaller in the second photo.

I've seen guys with lots more muscle than I have still look bloated and soft, even with fairly low body fat. I can tell you with certainty that carbs definitely have a bloating effect on me. That was intended to be my main point. :)

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/php/stats.php

9. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

John, didn't you some kind of a "contest prep" week at the end of last years cut and was that 2nd picture taken after that? Did you do any such thing at the end of your SGX run?

As I see it, bloat is something that during the course of just everyday eating and living most of us just have to live with. Shedding bloat is very simple and can be done in a weeks time really. I tend to not worry so much about bloating, it's just gonna happen.

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Yes, and no.

Perhaps it would have been better to post the June 2007 picture instead. I'd done no water shedding at that point, I still looked harder then I did at the end of SGX, and I was also at a higher body fat percentage than I was 7/2007:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

When I'm cutting I like to look and feel as lean as I can. It helps me stay on target.

Also, I simply don't have room in my cutting diet for 320 empty calories every day. I'm already hungry all the time, so I'd rather those 320 calories be food.

11. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Touche' :)

Definitly agree with you about dextrose on non-workout days, it just doesn't make sense no matter how you slice it. If I'm going to eat 80G of sugar, it's going to be ice cream!

12. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

I havent bothered with PWO dextrose for a good while, and havent noticed any difference, other then i have more free cals a day for more filling whole foods.

To each their own.

John, i cant believe your quads are smaller in the second picture !! Guess its the shorter pants or something.

/jack

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Same here.

I will be trying "Results" on my next bulk, however.

Maybe partially, but incresed definition creates the illusion of larger muscles. :nod:

14. jdowns

jdowns Active Member

I totally agree with your post today John, my workout partner and I have thrown the idea of no cheat days until June 1st around and after reading your post today we have decided to go for it. Also noticed the new home gym with the LCD TV so I had to go buy one for my home gym and also got the schwin exercise bike so we have almost the same setup, including the great TITAN. I will post a pic sometime, as soon as I find my camera. I have been at this 3 years this July, and what a journey. I read your journal entry every day, helps keep me motivated.

#5194 jdowns, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  15. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

John, great offering today. That's tough to do, no cheats. I couldn't/don't want to do it.

What's your opinion on the thought that no cheats is actually a bad thing and that the thyroid may become dormant and at some point metabolism will slow and halt fat loss? Besides just that it worked better for you of course, what are your thoughts on the theory?

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I've had a few emails this morning from people who were inspired to do the same thing. It's awesome to have some others along for the journey, because it's not an easy one (but the rewards are worth it!)

I hope you and your workout partner kick some ass! :mad:

I disagree with that line of thinking. Based on my own experience with cheat-free dieting, thyroid dormancy is simply not an issue as long as you diet intelligently.

My opinion is that if someone wants to eat junk food while dieting, then he or she should at least be honest and call it what it is: an indulgence--plain and simple.

Putting aside the mental aspects of cheat meals (some people say they need to cheat to "stay sane"), eating junk food will not help your cutting progress. If you are honestly concerned about lowered thyroid production, then refeed every 4 or 5 days with clean foods. My refeeds when dieting without cheat meals are clean and all-natural: oats, bananas, brown rice, veggies, yams, egg whites, chicken breasts, fish, etc.

Think about it logically: eating big and clean for an entire day will have a far more profound effect on the thyroid than a single meal once per week that consists mainly of junk food.

17. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

I agree with you to a point. There is certainly a better way to stimulate the thyroid than just pumping junk into your body for a day. You're spot on there. However, I think that mental aspect, that 'staying sane' angle, mustn't be overlooked or downplayed for some. Certain people would be far more likely to fall off the wagon if they tried to tackle what you are going to do, that is no cheating. Jeez, some knuckleheads have a hard time not cheating on their wives for crying out loud. :nono:

For me, my "beach body" is not a very specific body, but more of a range that I would be happy with. I'm no bodybuilder, I'm not a competitor, my body is not my livelihood in that it makes me money. I choose to be strict as strict can be during the week, when work schedules are fixed and quite frankly it's easy. But then one day on the weekend I live life, eat at my folks or siblings houses and enjoy food that is shitty for you. I believe that balance is what's most important for me.

I guess really all I'm trying to say is that you're psycho and I could never have that level of dedication that you have to not ever cheat...just for fun. :lol:
    That's truly admirable dude.

#5197 DFS, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Well, to be clear, wasn't overlooking the mental aspect of fat loss; I was sticking to the subject of your question, which was specifically about thyroid function. :)

I would never attempt to denigrate those who choose to have a weekly cheat meal if that's what they need to keep from completely falling off the wagon. Most people I've spoke to over the years fall into that category, and that's just fine.

The most important thing is that we each do what works best for us, and that's something I've said pretty much from day #1. :tucool:

19. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

^^^True that my man.

Good deal.

:guitar:

20. jptaylor2

jptaylor2 Active Member

im in the same boat as john. when i do it its all or none. a cheat meal would wreck me. once i get locked into a mindset the only way i can stick to it is to make it my only action.