1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. BigPapaPoo

BigPapaPoo Active Member

John

With all the electronics in that room, does it get really hot?

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

You know from reading my New House Construction journal that I was agonizing over how to set up my office in the new place, so it feels good to have it done. I'm very happy with how it came out, and will like it even more when I get the left-side desk installed. :)

Ah, please--no Juniper vs. Cisco wars! :)

The servers that operate the web sites and forum are located at a datacenter in downtown Orlando. All the equipment in my office is personal/job related.

Not really, but I keep the house pretty cool. It's usually a few degrees warmer in here compared to the rest of the house, and on very hot days it's warmer than I'd prefer. I think the new house's 2 A/C units combined with the masonry insulation we had installed into the exterior blocks will keep the new office even cooler.

3. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

I can't keep my servers in my office. They are way to loud and get very hot. I put them in my basement and before I got heat down there, they could raise the temp 5-10 degrees (here in Boston). That was perfect in the winter because that's where I workout. Summer's sucked though. I keep them all headless to save on power and heat.

I know a lot of the new servers are using 2.5" scsi drives to conserve power and heat and seems to be a theme for all vendors to be more concious of power consumption.

Sorry to get off track. It is very rare that I find people into working out/fitness and computer/networking. When I go into work and talk about fitness, sports and nutrition people think I am crazy (I work at a network consulting firm). John, the office looks great.

4. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

Oh, I meant to ask you John, what type of security system (video monitoring) do you use?

5. Mirvio

Mirvio Well-Known Member

John, I was just looking back to your Titan thread:

Life sucks hey? :lol:

Are you going to make that 2 full body workouts? One dismantling and one reassembling?

Oh, BTW, who's the tiny guy who put your Titan together?

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showpost.php?p=155931&postcount=77

Time shows it was clearly a worthwhile investment :tucool:

6. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

See, that's why I've wanted to build my own house someday, since I was little! You can totally customize it to your needs and desires. I've got a list compiled in my head of things I want it to have and certain ways I want things, and this list grows and changes over the years. Someday I'll have enough spare change for the upgraded membership, because I can tell you that I'm very, extremely, terribly curious about this whole new house thing, since it's been a dream of mine since I was little.

Speaking of lowering heat and saving power though (as someone mentioned), can any of those machines be consolidated into fewer machines? Like a handful of more powerful servers that do the job of all the current ones, but saving lots of power and heat? Or is that not really possible in this case?

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thank you! :)

That's one of those things that I don't want to get into here because Google and other search engines will archive that information forever. Sorry.

I go into great detail about the new security system (including the actual wiring, indoor and outdoor cameras, alarm system/sensors, dvr and more) in my New Home Construction Journal, which is down in the VIP section of the forum (safe from search engine crawlers).

:lol: :o

A lot of what you see there is not powered up at all times. Some are spare severs and some are used as test boxes. I pretty much need 5 machines running at all times, and they all have a specific purpose or I would turn them off/consolidate. I don't like inefficiency. :)

8. OH_Broker

OH_Broker Active Member

Great morning post today John !!
    I can absolutely relate to your hectic situation. Life has a way of throwing stressors at you, sometimes from every direction. Like you said, we must take a positive outlook and tackle them head on. Being in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful job, I've been there. My transformation has also made me stronger in those times, and much more confident as well !!!!
    Good luck with everything you mentioned. Keep up the great work. Wouldn't go a day without clicking on this site. Thanks.

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thank you! :)

Something I've noticed time and time again among people who make a lifestyle change in order to better their health is that just about every aspect of their lives improve right along with their health. I'm no exception, and I'm just glad that I now have the ability to deal with my life without hiding behind drugs and/or crumpling up like a tin can under a truck.

Wow, thanks, man! :o

10. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I got out of breath just reading that :eek:

11. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Giant sets John, do i assume correctly that you will do one exercise, then move straight onto the next one, then onto the third one, and then rest a minute. That is one "giant set" which will be repeated three times ?

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Exactly. :nod:

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Today's workout was probably one of the toughest I've ever done. Rest intervals were kept to a strict 45 seconds. Of course there was no rest on the supersets and giant sets.

I thought I was going to die during the giant sets.

Mastover, you rock. I hate you, but you rock.

One post workout picture was all I could handle. I was shaking all over while trying to hold this pose:

10112007_back.jpg

14. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Thank you! You and Guava share a common sentiment. :)

Well if I didn't know nothing from nothing, I'd say that pic throws your weak rear delt theory out the building. And I can see the formation of some gorilla traps creeping up towards your neck, too :eek:

:cool:

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Yeah, but there's no sexual tension between us. :lol:

16. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

LOL, that's hysterical! :lol:

Er, uhm....I think :whistle:

:o

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Me standing in the new house (still under construction) in the room that will eventually be my home gym:
    drywall_john_gym.jpg

18. Rise

Rise Active Member

i just had a new house built (moved in sept 28th). I hope you're enjoying your process as much as I know i did. the actual moving part sucks, but it's worth it in the end! if your house is fully dry-walled, i'd say you have about 1.5 months left depending on your sqft... it's looking good!

19. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Congrats!

Very much so. And documenting everything in an almost ridiculous level of detail has been a lot of fun, too! It's been a completely different experience compared to when Lisa and I had our current home built back in 1994.

The drywall was just hung late last week, and the entire process will take about 10 days from hanging to texture. Once the drywall is done we're probably about 2 months away from closing. If things continue according to plan, the expected close date is mid-to-late December.

20. OH_Broker

OH_Broker Active Member

John, on your post this morning about not cheating or using body english when doing bicep curls, I recently read an article about Arnold Sch. and it included something about this:

"Arnold wasn't afraid to cheat on arm exercises, especially standing curls. He felt that going very heavy was the best way to gain size, and if a little body english was required to get the weight up, so be it."

I'm the first one to realize everyone has different training principles and guidelines, but do you see any significance in this?
    Reference: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0801/is_1_66/ai_n8583370/pg_1