1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. LCJ

LCJ Well-Known Member

I have never seen a Papa John pizza that did not make me nauseous just looking at.

2. Cramp11

Cramp11 Active Member

Awesome photos for a point and shoot camera. Very impressive. You just have to do everything so well don't ya. :D :tu:

3. lil_dave

lil_dave Well-Known Member

I really like todays update.. it annoys the hell out of me when ppl make every excuse imaginable as to why they cant follow a simple plan.

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

While I don't share your annoyance, I'm glad you enjoyed the article!

5. carddante

carddante Well-Known Member

John, I appreciate your update today. You are correct, willpower is merely an extension of desire. It is as simple as that, though we often make it out to be so much more. I know I have certainly been one of those people in awe of your "willpower." I guess, moreso, I'm in awe of your desire to be better. It's inspiring, and one of the main reasons I visit this site every day. Thank you for being inspiring.

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Well put. I wish I'd said that. :D

Thank you. :o

Today's update has generated a lot of feedback, and I'm happy to report that so far it's all been good. I really hope to get some more good feedback in a few months from those who were not just momentarilly inspired, but actually followed through. Then I'll feel like I have done my job.

7. lil_dave

the only reason I find it annoying is cuz sometimes I'll spend an hour or more explaining to someone exactly what they need to do and sometimes even go as far as design a meal plan around foods they actually like eating and yet when I follow up on how they are doing a couple weeks later they have already given up..
    it actually has gotten to the point where I have wasted so much time that I now tell ppl if they want my advice they can take me out for dinner/lunch and they can ask me any questions they want then.. I wouldnt be surprised if I have spent over 100 hours in the past year helping ppl and maybe 4 or 5 of the ppl I've helped have actually followed through with the plan I laid out .. those 4 or 5 ppl have also gotten results that even surprised me... I guess those 4 or 5 ppl sorta make it worth it but in the other 90+ hours that I spent trying to help someone I could have done other stuff and learned alot more..

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Try doing that a few hundred times and then get back to me. :)

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

OK, after years of nothing but shreding, here's my first attempt at slide guitar. It's a video of me playing an abridged version of Ry Cooder's "Feelin' Bad Blues".

I know I suck, but I'm enjoying this new style and I'm going to keep practicing. :)

10. lil_dave

I guess I shouldnt be complaining.. lol

11. bbgonnabe

bbgonnabe Well-Known Member

I've haven't look at this forum in quite awhile. Man, you look like you could walk on stage and win a comp!

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Welcome back, and thanks! :)

13. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Sweet Avatar. Great update John. I think so many of us have been trained with the carrot and stick method that we expect something for the work we put in, something else besides the results. There are some people who expect rewards for things THEY SHOULD be doing they fail to see the journey as the reward. "Yeah I'll do the work but what are you going to give me?" If this is an excuse you can you can break up your final goal into little steps and reward yourself when you reach each goal. I know that each person is different and that people find motivation in different ways.

For me the reward is the working out itself. It's the reward I give myself after all the crap I have to put up with all day. MY time. No one is in charge during this time BUT you. YOU get to decide what, call all the shots. It's an incredible rush.

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thank you. :)

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

All four baby mockingbirds are still doing well. They are fuzzy and far more "cute" now, but it's becoming very difficult to get a glimpse because mom mocker has become extremely aggressive and will no longer allow us close enough to the nest for a good look.

Mom is completely fearless, and often lands close enough to me that I could reach out and touch her. I wish I could say it's because she's grown to trust me, but I know better: she'll peck my eyes out if she feels like she has to. :scared:

Her boldness is allowing me to get close enough for some nice photo opportunities, though! This picture I took this morning is probably the best picture I've taken of her yet. Notice she has breakfast for her chicks hanging out of her beak--a lizard.

mom_with_breakfast.jpg

I think the clutch hatched on the 12th, so they will probably fledge early next week. I'm hoping another brood will follow. :)

16. George

George Senior Member

That's a nice shot, John. :dreamy:

What do clutch and fledge mean?

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

"Fledge" means the young are ready to fly the nest and venture off into the big bad world on their own. :scared:

Mockingbird chicks become fledglings about 12 days after hatching. It typically takes young humans around 18 years to accomplish the same feat. :lol:

A "clutch" is a nest of eggs or a brood of hatched chicks.

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I was out back with the dogs, when suddenly mombird took off and flew pretty far away. I quickly grabbed my camera and manged to get 3 new pictures of the chicks.

They are 1 week old here, and their eyes are open! In the last picture you can see all four huddled together sleeping. :dreamy:

1weekold_1.jpg

1weekold_2.jpg

1weekold_3.jpg

...right after I took that last picture, suddenly mom came swooping out of the sky with a horrible screech! Scared the living crap out of me. She barely missed my head and then landed on a branch less than two feet from my face. Of course I took a picture. :)

This look says it all....

mom_yell.jpg

19. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Thats the same look I give my kids when I'm saying back away from my Oatmeal/Cottage cheese pancake! :lol:

20. Mirvio

Mirvio Well-Known Member

John, I guess it's hard finding what other aspects of your life you can reasonably share on here, whether it's your latest firearm purchase or a bit of bird-watching. However, I for one enjoyed your slide guitar demo. :tucool:

Word to the wise though, don't upload a video of you watching a DVD :D