1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks Mastover! I certainly agree about attacking calves with unconventional exercises, as well as unconventional intensity (or, insane intensity). It makes sense that traps might be similar.

Thanks again.

2. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

My calves are so stubborn for awhile I had a workout day dedicated solely to them, but that started hurting the back of my knee so I backed off. For traps IMO Power shrugs are number one, my traps are soooo sore after those. As for power hang cleans, I feel those more in my upper back.

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Good luck with the routine TB, it looks real good. I love antagonistic sets (jump sets).

For those of us who deadlift, the Sumo style has been shown (EMG analysis) to hit the traps more effectively than any other type of deadlift. This might be of interest to John and TB. I'd go Sumo for 6 weeks, at least. For the above routine, I'd probably take out the RDL's on leg day, and seed in Sumo deads on back day. Sumo's will also take care of the hamstrings very nicely, so no worries there. :tu:

Good luck everybody, and have fun :D

4. tr4nsf0rm3r

tr4nsf0rm3r Well-Known Member

Hey John - congrats again on reaching yet another level of insanity. :tucool:

I am personally about at my 1 year mark (of lifting/bodybuilding) and wanted to compare myself to an idol (you). Since you so diligently tracked your stats, I did some analysis on it and posted it below.

The graph includes only you January and your Aug/Sept data (which ever one was available).

Gross Increase is the difference between Jan and Aug/Sept.
    Net Increase is the difference between what you Gained and what you had to Lose to get back to ~>10% BF.

Left Y Axis unit is LBS. (Weight, Fat Mass, Lean Mass)
    Right Y Axis unit is Inches. (Arms)

Here are my questions:
    1. In Phase A, you did a slow bulk for 1 year - gaining 9 lbs of Lean Mass and maintaining a respectable level of Fat. This was your 3rd best bulking session. It sounds like you are planning a "long and slow bulking session." Is this what you were planning on your next round?

2. Phase B was your most successful bulk, gaining a 14lbs of Lean Mass. What made this so successful compared to others? Comparing myself to you, I am about at my 1 year mark (start of Phase B). So I am really interested in also gaining as much in the next year (or more). Looking back, would you have done this bulk any different?

3. Did you have more or less difficult time gaining mass in Phase C? At what point in the phases above do you feel you were nearing your apex in "natural" growth. By that I mean, where the body naturally begins to level off.

4. You seemed to have bulked very quickly in Phase D, mostly with Fat - which may be attributable to the fact that you did it in a short amount of time. Do you foresee ever going back up to 19% BF but in a "slow bulk" (aka Phase A - a 1 year bulk) sort of way? Do you think your gains in Lean Mass would be better or worse? After all, you did spend a good 6 months cutting.

5. I included ARMS because its my genetic slow spot :bang: (I think). I don't do any isolations on them and just lift heavy compounds through all my workouts. I really would like to get them to a nice 16" at least. Was there anything else you did in Section B that made them grow like crazy? :bb:

Thanks!

Always a fan. :claphigh:

Attached Files:

5. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

That looks like a brutal sets of workouts! I'm pretty sure traps will be worked at least 2 times per week when I bulk and, as Mastover said, in some pretty non-traditional ways. I'm looking forward to that.

Have fun. :)

Thank you. After reading your post, I feel like I should say "same to you!" :eek:

Just kidding. Sorta. :)

I do track my stats, and there is some good information to be gleaned from them, but they only tell a small part of the story.

:eek:

Honestly man, I have not thought about some of this stuff you are talking about in a long, long time. Also, I've answered most of these questions over the years. I'm sure I looked at what I did and learned from it at the time, but my goodness... you are putting quite a fine point on things! I'm not trying to be disparaging in any way, I just don't know how much I am going to be able to answer your questions. I'm 100% sure you've put more thought into this than I have. :lol: That said, I'm going to do my best...

It was my third best how? By your graphs? I keep telling people to stop analyzing my raw data so much, and the reason is because that data doesn't tell the whole story. Was that my third best bulk, my best bulk or my worst bulk? I don't know. It was a stepping stone to where I am today.

In answer to your question, am not planning a long bulk this time. I'm planning a 3-4 month bulk with minimal fat gain.

Was it really my "most successful" bulk? By what standard? I have no idea. I worked my butt off on every bulk, and I've posted my complete training program and diet (except while on SGX and SUP2) so it's all there for you.

You want to gain mass? Eat big, eat clean, bust your ass in the gym, don't miss workouts, don't drink alcohol, don't miss meals and get plenty of sleep. You'll grow.

I think there were some newbie gains initially, but after that I don't see any sort of leveling off. Someone very smart once told me that the number of natural body builders he knew who reached their genetic potential could be counted on one hand. It just doesn't happen very often, and it sure hasn't happened to me. In almost every case "leveling off" means you're not training hard and/or smart enough.

As I've said many times since my last bulk, I'm never going to get above 12% again. Yes, I put on too much fat, but I also made some real gains that are not reflected in numbers, data and graphs. Look, here's July 2006 vs. July 2007:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Looking at the numbers from July '06 vs. July '07, I didn't make much progress. Looking at my pictures tells a completely different story, don't you think?

That said, I think my gains would have been even better if I didn't have to cut so much weight. That's why I'm going to do much cleaner bulks from now on.

If arms are a genetic weakness for you, then IMO you're going to need to perform isolation exercises if you want them to really take off. Supersets, high volume and a solid mind/muscle connection. Of course my genetics responded to this style of training (arms are a strong point for me); your mileage may vary.

6. tr4nsf0rm3r

tr4nsf0rm3r Well-Known Member

NUMBERS DONT LIE! But then again, as you pointed out, PICTURES DON'T LIE either! Heh. So now now... I only labeled "successful bulk" based on POUNDAGE. So if by assuming genetic potential has not been reach or does not slow down as you get bigger and bigger - then it was your most successful bulk in terms of Lean Body Mass Increases. The only way to really know if Phase B was your best is to try to follow the same methodological principles followed during that phase. Though who knows, maybe it was "newb gains" that made it the "big one."

Yeah, I know knew the numbers are only one part of the insanity equation. That's why I wanted to correlate them with some of you comments, which I appreciated by the way. So thanks for the input. I hope the charts were useful for you too... I made it because we always see picture comparisons Year to Year - but I am always curious about how the numbers correlate too. Ultimately, the numbers dont really matter anyway (so i agree with that point). It's how badass you look that counts!!

Thanks on the Arms advice. I am jealous. My legs and traps like to grow instead - but chicks dont ever say "ooooh look at those big traps/legs."

I believe John Berardi has some numbers on his website regarding how much FAT/MUSCLE (in a ratio) you gain/lose based on your current BF% levels. Of course, that's different for everybody, but I think his numbers are based on averages from all his clients - a good reference nonetheless. Though I think you know this already.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/afc/afc_feb222002.htm

scroll down to: "As I pointed out in one of my previous columns, subjects who started overfeeding with 22 lbs of fat on their bodies gained 70% of their weight as lean body mass and 30% of their weight as fat mass (To put this into perspective, your stats would have to be something like 150lb at 15% or 200lb at 11%).

However, double those body-fat numbers (150lb at 30% or 200lb at 22%), and the ratio flops in the opposite direction (30% lean body mass gain and 70% fat gain). With these data, it doesn't take too much of a leap to deduce that the 50-50 point would be around 33 lbs of fat (150lb at 22% fat; 200lb at 17%).

Now that you have these numbers, it's your turn to decide what's too fat to bulk. Ideally a 100% lean body mass gain is what we're all shooting for. But that isn't very realistic. In my opinion, a 70% lean to 30% fat gain is as far as I'm willing to go. And this fits right in line with my stats as I normally fluctuate between 5% fat and 12% fat throughout the year."

Cheers!

7. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Hi c0ntradictum, I posted something similar a few weeks ago tracking John's LBM gain (I'm sure he loves being under a microscope...). He corrected some of the numbers because, quite frankly, his numbers aren't completely accurate, especially earlier on. I wouldn't take the stats as a gold standard, but rather the pictures as a true indicator of progress.

8. pedurrod

pedurrod Active Member

Numbers lie.

9. comp818

comp818 Active Member

John, you mentioned in today's update that you will be having alcohol in your upcoming cheat meal. Do you think alcohol is not good when it comes to physical fitness? Will it hurt your progress or at least slow it down in any way?

In your latest bulk, you reached 19% bf. What foods do you think contributed to high bf? As far as I remember, you were eating as clean as it can be. Then what could have caused your bf reached as high as it did? Could it have been overeating?

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Absolutely.

I disagree with those who say that alcoholic beverages consumed in moderation can be beneficial to one's health. Alcohol is poison, and it is not good for us. Any "health benefits" that come from drinking, say, red wine, can be realized through other, non-alcoholic means. Maybe some people like to be told that there are "health benefits" so they feel better about drinking, I dunno. I don't attempt to justify alcohol consumption in any way. It's an unhealthy indulgence, pure and simple.

I abstain from alcohol almost completely whenever I'm cutting or bulking, and I believe that doing so makes a big difference in my progress.

Right now (and for the next 3 months) I'm maintaining and enjoying the fruits of my labor a bit. My diet is slightly relaxed, and I can enjoy a drink or two a couple times a week. Is this optimal for my training? No, but I'm not training for the Olympics, nor do I have any health problems. It's not a big deal.

Yes.

11. Thrust

Thrust Active Member

Moreover, studies that have found that alcohol consumption, in moderation, leads to increased life expectancy likely didn't control for other variables. For instance, a plausible alternative hypothesis could be that people who drink in moderation also use moderation in consupmtion of other "bad" things/foods.

Food for thought . . .

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I had a great leg workout this afternoon, and I've got some pictures... but they are not of my legs. :)

First, a little background.

A mockingbird was singing his songs in my backyard all throughout the spring. He finally got lucky and met the bird of his dreams. They built a nest in the Nellie Stevens Holly in our backyard, and a week or so ago we noticed four little eggs in their nest. :dreamy:

When I do my cardio in the morning, I always open the blinds and watch all the critters in my backyard. Yesterday morning when I was doing my cardio, I noticed a lot of activity by the two mockingbirds. They were flying in and out of the holly every few minutes. I knew something was up, so after my cardio I decided to sneak out back...

Sure enough, all the eggs had hatched! There were four little baby mockingbirds in the nest with their mouths wide open. I'd only just manged to glimpse the four babies when suddenly I heard a crazy screech just above me: the momma was on the roof, freaking out and about to dive-bomb me. Mockingbirds are very territorial. I didn't like upsetting her, so I hustled inside.

I watched them all day today while I worked, and both the mom and the dad have been shuttling food to the babies all day long. It's been amazing watching them! They each have their own distinct method of entering the bush. The mom is the more timid of the two: she'll land on my patio furniture and plot a trajectory in to the bush after carefully looking around to make sure no one is watching. The dad is the exact opposite: he flies directly into the bush from all kinds of different angles at top speed! It's been so cool watching these two go about their business the past couple of days.

Tonight, as quietly as possible, I went out back and got some pictures. I got caught. Mom and dad are never far away!

Here's mom:
    mom_mockingbird.jpg

Here's dad with some food!
    dad_mockingbird.jpg

These were very tough pictures to get: the babies! There are four of them, but I was only able capture two of them on film before mom and dad starting freaking out. I didn't want to stress them out, so I called it quits after these two photos:

baby_mockingbirds_1.jpg

baby_mockingbirds_2.jpg

13. Darvonia

Darvonia Active Member

Awwww....I enjoyed that story and the pictures! Thanks for sharing that....it was nice. :)

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

You're welcome, my pleasure!

I've always been a huge animal lover, so even "mundane" events like these parents tending to their offspring have given me quite a thrill these past few days. :)

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I managed to sneak in a couple more pictures this morning. I thought this one came out very nice...

baby_mockingbirds_3.jpg

16. Caruthias

Caruthias Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is about baby birds that allows them to be so ugly yet so cute.

I own a parrot that I hand fed with a spoon when it was old enough and goddamn was he the ugliest little cutie I've ever seen.

17. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

What type of camera are you using? The pictures turned out so clear and crisp. Is it just a point and shoot? I love how the birds made their nest out of sticks. I'm use to seeing nests out of grass and mud. Neat shots. Keep us posted.

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I have no idea, either. :lol:

Part of me is thinking, "Man, those are some ugly little birds!", but at the same time they are sort of cute, too. :dreamy:

My current camera is the Canon Powershot A710. It's a great little camera. It takes awesome point/shoot photos, and has lots of manual controls if you want them. Good price, too.

19. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Have you ever made your own pizza? I think it tastes great and it has to be better for you than delivery.

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I've tried, but it's tough to make a pizza the way I like it here at home. I managed a small delivery/carry out pizza joint for about a year when I was 19 years old, and hand-tossed pizzas cooked in those old brick ovens were just awesome. Even conveyor ovens do a better job than a household oven.

There was a little family-owned Italian joint around the corner that delivered the best pizzas ever, but they went out of business. :(

What I do like a lot, and what I could easily make here at home instead of pizza, is bruschetta. :drool: