1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Interesting because you can see the progression of a slight internal rotation of the humerus.

Might want to consider some corrective action over the summer (I only mention this because I've been there, and shoulder injuries suck hard)...
    http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindandmuscle/print/printview.php?artID=41

Fantastic work on that cut by the way :claphigh:

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Thanks, Chris! :)

Sometime over the next few months I'll put my head together with Mastover and we'll come up with something cool.

I have a feeling my traps are going to hell and back. :)

Too bad my posing was off! :bang:

2004_2007.jpg

My traps are proving to be my biggest weakness from a genetic standpoint.

Of course you know what our motto is around here, right? "F**K genetics!" :mad:

I just need to work harder and smarter. :nod:

Actually those pictures are posed, and my posing has changed over the years. When standing completely relaxed my palms face perfectly inward. :)

Thank you! :)

3. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Great progress John! Well done!!

However, as you get bigger I see a disturbing trend where your underwear is getting smaller. Please no more! ;)

4. Tman08

Tman08 Well-Known Member

You're looking great...once you get your traps caught up you'd be able to compete, because the rest of your development looks great.

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thank you. :)

Thanks. :)

I don't have any desire or plans to compete. I'm already very healthy, so my transformation--at least over the past couple of years--has been more of a personal challenge and an ongoing test of my resolve than anything else.

6. Devery

Devery Well-Known Member

Speaking of delts, I learned something new last night watching "Getting Cut with Glass." He demonstrated how a lot of folks use way too much delt/secondary muscles when working chest. I never realized just how bad my form is at chest until now. He gave some great pointers on how to keep the focus on the pecs and away from the delts.

I think John needs to post the 2003 30% bodyfat pic next to the new 6% pic for a comparison. Or do a layover on that one :)

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

8. Devery

Devery Well-Known Member

IMO, your pics show what hard work, discipline, and time can do. They seem much more realistic since they are over a period of time (years).

Speaking of time, may I ask your personal thoughts regarding those amazing 12-week transformations displayed in the magazines?

The reason I ask is because I don't believe a person can accomplish what you did in just 12-weeks. Quality muscle takes time to grow, e.g., years of training IMO.

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Who am I to say? I've been at this for close to five years and people accuse me of steroids and/or photoshopping my images and videos (?!) all the time. It's unpleasant. So, I'm not going to accuse someone that I don't even know of something similar. Besides, I don't pay any real attention to those ads. Maybe they're bullshit, maybe they are not. Ultimately none of that has anything to do with me. I work as hard as I can, and that's all that matters.

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Today's workout felt incredible! It's not only awesome to be lifting after a week off, but after a week of rest and extra food (and plenty of carbs) my energy level in the gym this afternoon was off the charts.

My goal this summer is to gain strength, and I have my work cut out for me. I've lost a significant amount of strength over the past six months of cutting. I'm confident I'll rebound very quickly, however.

Anyway, I'll write more on those subjects tomorrow on the main site. What I wanted to do today is post a shot of my back because I didn't post one at the end of my cut. I did take a back double-bicep photo at the end of my cut, but the flash didn't go off and I didn't realize it until much later. :doh:

So, here's my back. Unfortunately my body fat is slightly higher now (6.5%) and I'm not at all "dry", so I've lost some of the detailed cuts I had when I took my end of cut pictures. I wanted to have something for posterity, though, so this will have to do. :)

07092007_back.jpg

11. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

Hey, it's still a fantastic shot. I like how smooth the lines in the major back muscles appear to be, while at the same time being deeply contoured and 'popping out'. It looks f'in awesome. I think back shots are among my favorites. Arms almost always look so awesome in back shots too. I think that quite often in back shots everything seems bigger than it actually is.

I'm curious about the black and white though that you do on a lot of shots. Is it a cool/artsy thing, or is the lack of color to help better show definition?

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Just a little something to mix it up I guess. What I do with every picture is desaturate it right before I save it. Then I CTRL-Z back and forth and decide which version I think looks best and then save that one. :o

Most of the time I wind up favoring the color picture, but sometimes the B&W version looks best to me.

13. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

The rear double bicep pose will magnify many strong points and expose weaknesses, as well. Still plenty of rugged detail there and you can still see the thickness of the lower back (faint remnants of the Christmas Tree). This is the back of someone who has deadlifted HEAVY :tu:

If you posed with your elbows higher, your lats would've really popped out more ;)

What is impressive is the improvements in the shoulders. Middle trap thickness is equally impressive. To improve upon trap height will take some prioritization, with some advanced techniques, but your delts are overpowering the traps now. lol :)

My 2 cents would be to start incorporating power hang cleans in your shoulder workouts, substituting it for an overhead pressing movement. Just something to consider.

Overall that back is just off the page sinister looking :eek: :evil:

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

The deadlift is by far my favorite exercise. :tucool:

:lol: 1FastGTX emailed me and said the exact same thing. I'll do better next time, I promise! :)

I never thought my delts would overpower anything, but you're right. My traps are definitely getting the highest priority when I start bulking this fall.

Right now I'm not doing any shoulder work aside from a little side/rear delts isolation (as per your recommendation), but once I start bulking I'm looking forward to trying some new stuff like power hang cleans, which I've never done. :tucool:

Thank you very much, Mastover! :)

15. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Mastover: what are your thoughts on heavy rack pulls (rack deads, partial deads, whatever) for trap thickness? Would a pin setting slightly higher (above the knee perhaps) attribute to more trap development?

I regularly perform this exercise but I usually set the pin just below the knees. I don't use them primarily for trap development, but lately I've seen several people suggesting rack pulls for traps on other forums. I was thinking a higher pin setting might be better if traps are the primary concern.

Just curious about your thoughts. :)

16. comp818

comp818 Active Member

John, does 75g Nitrean mean that you put 2.5 scoops of it? Why do you prefer Nitrean over some other brands such as 100% Whey Protein - Gold Standard (Natural)?

#4816 comp818, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007
  17. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Sure, rack pulls are great. For traps I like doing explosive movements if they are a trouble spot and seem stubborn. Power hang cleans, power shrugs, jump shrugs. And to isolate them I've seen very good improvements with people who use the standing calf raise machine and the hack squat machine for shrugs. These two movements are a pure trap exercises because the arms are taken totally away from the movement. Traps are much like calves, if they refuse to grow you've got to go with unconventional stuff. Also, farmers walk is a great addition. Go heavy with these, and if enough intensity is used, not only will the traps take off but much of your cardio will be taken care of as well.

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

It means I weigh out 75g on my kitchen scale.

Because I feel that AtLarge's blend of proteins is far superior to a whey-only product, I'm extremely satisfied with the gains I've made using AtLarge's Nitrean, Nitrean mixes easily, the taste is outstanding, AtLarge's customer service has consistently been the best in the business and their shipping times are measured in hours--not days.

19. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Man, I'm getting very excited about my bulk! :spaz:

20. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Hey John! Speaking of your bulk, I came across this program over at t-nation and I thought of your recent trap/shoulders goals. It looks like it could definitely be modified, but the idea of a twice-a-week conjugate shoulder/trap cycle might work. I started it last week, and I actually feel that I need add MORE trap work (as Mastover said, they are very stubborn, and also one of my weak points). I haven't done a bodypart split in years (since I've been training for strength and conditioning) and it feels great! I forgot how much I like the splits.

Here's the first cycle of CT's *cough* Superhero program. While I'm not convinced about the 100 rep sets, the program seems pretty solid. I think I'm going to add in rack pulls and power hang cleans on the Trap-dominant days. And now after 2 weeks, I'm extremely hungry all the time.