1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

There's certainly no question left in my mind!

2. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

i think if john was stronger that wouldnt have happened.

3. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

:lol:

I can always count on you to strip away the BS and lay it all out for me, wh0. :tucool:

respek-knuckles.gif

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I very rarely discuss how much I lift, but tonight I'm going to because I broke my personal deadlift record, and I did something that I've always secretly wanted to do ever since I started doing deadlifts. :)

I know I'm not going to win any strongman contests, but considering that I train for hypertrophy and not strength I'm very proud of myself for reaching this particular goal.

The goal was to be able to deadlift 4 sets of 8 at twice my body weight. Tonight I did that, performing 4 sets of 8 deadlifts using 430 pounds. I also did them at the very end of a brutal workout, which makes me even more happy about the accomplishment. I definitely felt like I could handle more weight. Next week I'll add 10 more pounds. If I can do 4 sets of 8 using 500 pounds by the end of my bulk, that would be a very proud accomplishment for me.

I also added 5 pounds to my close-grip lat pulldowns, 5 pounds to my reverse-grip bent-over rows, and 10 pounds to my T-Bar rows (and more reps than last week: 12/11/10/11!)

This was my best back workout ever. I took a picture to mark the occasion, and I figured I'd continue the series with another B&W shot--might as well do one of each muscle group. :)

10172006_back.jpg

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Awesome! :tucool: :flex:

6. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Pretty impressive DL numbers.... Im jealous.

7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

:tu: Deads seem to be the exercise that make me feel the most improvement. If I do them (and other versions and similar related stuff like GMs), my deads generally don't stall like some of my other lifts do on occasion.

Not sure if it is the raw numbers that sound big, the real world nature of the ability to pick something big and heavy up off of the floor, or just the all over feel of work and power that comes from doing heavy deads.

I'm just getting to where I can do 2x my body weight for a max, so your number is so much sweeter to be able to do reps with that kind of weight.

8. EliteTraining

EliteTraining Active Member

Great Accomplishment John...Deadlifts are as brutal as it gets....430 lbs??? wow...what is that? like 5 45 plates each?

9. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Good deal John! Time to order some more plates.

10. T. Bone

T. Bone Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been answered before, but John, do you use straps when you DL? I've never really gotten the hang of using straps so I don't use them, but I often feel like my grip is my weakest link.

I know you bought CoC grippers awhile back. Do you find that they've helped?

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

John, those numbers are very impressive, you really should be proud of them! 430x8, and 4 sets. That's great!

I'm totally serious when I say that if you ever trained for it I think you could do very well in powerlifting.

Congratulations on the big milestone! :claphigh:

The CoC grippers might help some (and it might be good to rotate through various types of grip work every few weeks), but I believe a better option to help your deadlift grip would be something like static holds.

You're not looking for crushing strength; you're looking to be able to hold onto the bar longer (well I assume this is why you're asking).

The Grip Kit from EliteFTS.com is great for this, but you can also just use a barbell, or plates on their own, or dumbbells.

Then again maybe you could hold the CoC gripper closed for 30-45 seconds. :)

12. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Good point!

John if you find a good deal on any 100s around Central Florida (because the shipping is rediculous on them!) let me know! :D

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thank you all very much! It sure felt good when I put the bar down after the last set. :)

Yes, I do.

CoC is more of a crushing grip strength trainer. I enjoy working with the CoC grippers, and It's helped my grip strength some, but as GTX mentioned there are more effective methods of improving your deadlift grip. I should probably utilize those methods. :lol:

Not quite yet--I've got 510 pounds in plates, and two 45-pound barbells. I should be OK for a while. :)

I've never seen any at Play It Again. I even had to order my 80-100 pound dumbbells online (and the shipping was not cheap!) F'ing Orlando. :rolleyes:

14. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

Not only are you built like a house...you can practically lift one. Great accomplishment and I like how you already set the new bar for yourself. Way to go.

15. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Nice work, if you went for your 1RM you'd have your 5 hun and change. Your squat must be in the ball park then judging by your wheels.

Congrats on the PR.

16. HyPe

HyPe Well-Known Member

John, i've been following your progress since i think day 32? 42? somewhere around there. There haven't been many days where i've missed one of your updates.
    Your an absolute inspiration!
    Anyway, ive been training with deadlifts quite seriously for the last 10 months and i am continually looking for advice / friends / people who know what they are doing with weights to check my form, show me the correct form etc.

I was wondering if its possible if you have time next back workout, with a lower weight, or if u wish to show with 430 pounds if you could show us the correct technique / form that YOU use personally for deadlifts.
    The reason i ask is that a lot of people have different interpretations of how deadlifts are to be performed, and your training seems to be working so it'd be great to hear your opinion on how its done.

Once again congradulations on the achievements. Everytime i look at your page (every day), read an update, or view a picture i am inspired and motivated to go that much harder. I am 19 now and i hope that at your age i am able to lift 1/10th of what you do, let alone be as healthy as you are. absolutely incredible.

Keep up the good work, i have no doubt you'll be on 500 pounds by the end of this year. Its almost like i know you that well after reading about 600 daily updates, and i know this is just a little step compared to wat you've done in the past.

17. HyPe

HyPe Well-Known Member

sorry i should say 1300 days? shit thats a long time since i been following.

18. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Congrats on the massive numbers, that's sweet. Even though this is a bodybuilding forum everyone loves getting stronger, not just looking stronger =).

19. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Why don't you take a video and post it here. We'll critique it for you. :)

20. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

:confused: