1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

Many years ago I founded a Quake clan named the Cereal Killers, and my name was Special K. :D

To get this back on topic:

John, you are the epitome of the fact that people can grow physically and mentally if they only put their mind to it. You are truly an inspiration, and tens of years from now, many people will remember you, your transformation, and the community you have created. I'm a skinny dude wanting to get bigger and I'm already grateful to know this site, I can't even begin to imagine what you and your community must mean to former fat and sugar addicts that have stumbled on your site and changed their lives forever.

Here's a standing ovation to you:

:claplow: :claphigh: :claplow: :bow: :claphigh: :claphigh: :claphigh: :claplow: :bow: :claplow: :claplow: :bow: :claphigh: :claplow:

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Gila Monster, Thank you very much. I still remember all the feelings and the many personal struggles I went through very clearly, so writing about my experiences comes fairly easy to me. I think it helps those who are struggling with addiction to know that their problems are not unique, and--regardless of how bleak things may seem--their problems can be overcome if they want to change.

rstar32, Thank you for the kind words. I agree that exercise and nutrition are very powerful. In January of 2003, I was mainly trying to become less fat. I really didn't have any intention of quitting weed (I didn't think it was possible for me) or putting a halt to my alcohol abuse. I certainly never gave a moment's thought to the internal changes that would eventually come.

A lot of people come to my site and they see a guy who has lost weight and put on some muscle. What those pictures do not show is that there have been two transformations taking place: one external and one internal. Once I started to lose weight and exercise, I realized something amazing: I was beginning to care about myself again. My external transformation was the catalyst that gave me the power and confidence to begin working on the other areas of my life that had fallen to the same level of neglect as my body. That's why I encourage people to just jump in there and allow themselves to get excited about diet and exercise. I know it's hard to get started, but once the changes start to show it's very addicting; taking care of yourself and caring about others is a very good addiction to have!

Some people think I am self-centered to post all these pictures of myself and so forth. I can say with no hesitation that I was infinitely more self-centered when I was a drug user--I really didn't give a crap about anyone except myself. Thankfully that is no longer the case; I sincerely care about other people, and I can honestly say that nothing gives me greater pleasure than knowing that my site and these forums are helping to change lives for the better. I feel truly blessed to have been a part of so many people's lives.

Kilter, I rarely miss workouts unless I'm REALLY sick - running a fever and bedridden. I've had this sore throat thing for a week or so, but it has not prevented me from working out. You have to use common sense and listen to your body. I'm pretty good at separating excuses from legitimate reasons to skip a workout. If anything, I tend to be a little over-zealous.

specialk, That's exactly the kind of post that makes my day. Again, I know how you feel right now. Go on that vacation, but (as you said) make sure you get rid of everything (weed/paraphernalia) before you leave. When you get back and fall into your regular routine, you are going to be hit hard by cravings. Do not give in. Do not tell yourself just once will be OK. Do not hang out with people who are smoking. Call (non-smoking) friends, write, work out, plan workouts, make meal plans, donate time.... do anything that gets you thinking about the wonderful future ahead of you - a future that has no place for drugs. After a few weeks I think you'll be surprised how easy it is, but you have stay focused on the positive things in your life, such as fitness. I'm looking forward to seeing your "1 year clean" post next year. :tu:

The Abdominal Snowman, Thank you for the warm applause and message! Whenever I write about addiction, I always receive an extraordinary number of emails; today was no exception. Almost all of the emails are from people who are sick and tired of living their lives as slaves to their addictions. One thing that each of the people who wrote to me have in common is the desire to change. Something else that they all have in common is the POWER to change; they may not all realize that they have this power, but I'm going to do everything I can to wake them up to that fact!

3. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

John, I use to think you were just an average guy who decided to change his body. But now I see that you were way farther gone than the average guy and in a lot more serious trouble. This makes what you've done all the more amazing. You would've been a success out jogging 2-3 times a week and off drugs and tobacco just three years after a 10 year habit, but instead you've attained results in fat loss and muscle growth that surpass people who have been doing it their whole lives. what an inspiration.
    :bow: :bow: :bow:

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Aw, man... thank you!

A lot of people who see my pictures don't know my history with regards to substance abuse. Putting all those things behind me for good was probably the most challenging thing I've ever done. I think my history with drugs is why accusations of steroid use are so bothersome to me. I worked hard to rid my life of drugs, and the last thing I would ever do is fall back into that pit. If I were to start taking drugs just to increase the speed of my muscle growth, I'd be no better off now than I was 3 years ago. For me, it's all about the journey--there is no destination. I'm just enjoying life and trying to improve myself, inside and outside, every single day.

5. steeltrap

steeltrap Well-Known Member

simple and perfect

John this quote above should automatically be included in everyone's signature. This should be everyone's attitude. Everyone asks me what my goal is when they see I have lost wieght and gotten more fit. I tell them I have no "goal". I just changed my life...for good. Thanks John for the continued inspiration...........

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

You're welcome!

I want to clarify something: Personally think setting goals--both long-term goals and short-term goals--is vital. Goals give you something to work towards and they allow you to clearly define what you hope to accomplish. Further, writing goals down help make them seem more tangible and "real". Visualizing or imagining how you will look or feel when you reach your goal can be extremely motivating. Of course once a goal is reached, you are rewarded with a tremendous sense of accomplishment.

When I said "it's all about the journey--there is no destination", I simply meant that I enjoy the growth process (internal and external) way too much to get caught up in trying to obtain overnight success. The satisfaction I feel while I'm working towards my goals is very fulfilling. :)

7. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

So, what you are saying is once you reach a goal, you should set another one, right?

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Sure: Unless you're perfect (I don't know anyone who is), there's always room for improvement.

9. steeltrap

steeltrap Well-Known Member

let me clarify also

allow me to clarify also, I have plenty of goals, what most people want to know when they ask me that question is my "Goal Weight", which is when i tell them I have no goal weight, I just want to be fit and healthy...but I have alot of personal goals

-- Biking a 100 Mile bike tour
    -- Getting under 12% BF
    -- Being fit enough to teach my son to play football

etc
    etc

I agree, those kind of goals are not only good, but almost a necessity...

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Tonight was chest and abs. It was time to switch my workout up, so I went back through my logs and decided to go with the same all-dumbbell chest workout I used back in December. I had excellent results during the 3 or 4 weeks that I did that workout. After I finished that, I toasted my abs.

My body fat level is about 11% right now. I'm starting to look pretty cut up, but I've still got some fat on my face, my inner thighs and (of course!) my lower abs. The next 9 pounds are going to make all the difference.

A couple of pictures tonight...

The first one was taken pre-workout. I had the music going (Dry Kill Logic) and I was getting myself mentally prepared as I banged out a few warm-up sets.

The second shot was taken mid-workout. Turtle was looking for squirrels on the fence as I checked myself in the mirror.

Attached Files:

11. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Photo 1, easily, hands down, without a shadow of a doubt is the BEST picture ive seen of you to date.

Maybe the black and white helps, but that could be an advert or poster. Its very well shot, well posed and you look awesome.

On a side note, im glad to see you back posting in here and being positive again. :)

PS. Seriously, that pic is brilliant.

12. jwdiho

jwdiho Well-Known Member

I agree. Those delts and arms are HUGE!
    With the weights just hanging in the back, it's almost artistic. (But what do I know about art.)

13. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Well-Known Member

Looking awesome John!:tucool:

This cut must be exciting for you since you put so much work into your bulk. It must be like those gifts you get where the person wraps it fifty billion times and all you want to do is get to the good stuff knowing that there is something awesome inside.

If you get to 6% that is going to be a pretty sweet gift!

14. gonzo719

gonzo719 Well-Known Member

hi john - i have been visiting your site for a while and finally joined the forum - your transformation inspired me - i have a couple questions for you - what time of the day do you take your pics - what kind of lighting are you using? It looks like you are using a flash - are you?

15. lance02

lance02 Well-Known Member

Great work, as usual, John! Your arms are impressive. The look you have is good -- keep it up!

16. mason

mason Well-Known Member

Wow, your arms look great John! You definitely look BA.

Great pics.

17. Antimatter

Antimatter Well-Known Member

Ever since reading about your music, I really got into FEAR FACTORY- I recommend their music for getting pumped up like a sponge- Ressurection you just can't beat for getting "in the mood".

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Reno_1ted & jwdiho,
    Wow, thank you guys very much! You know me, all I could see in that photo was the things I want to improve, but I showed it to Lisa and she said I should post it, so I did. I'm think I'm going to post more B&W pictures, as I like the effect. :tucool:

I think a shot like that will look much better once I drop down to 7% BF or less. Right now I'm still looking a little soft in the face and the abs, and there's not much vascularity showing. I also didn't have a pump in that picture, so that would help a lot.

Thanks again!

Bigpapi,
    Thanks, man. I think I may go for the 6% figure as long as SC thinks he can get me there with no muscle loss. I think I'll look pretty good, but I know I can't sustain that level for long.

gonzo719,
    Welcome. I took/take my daily/weekly/monthly photos first thing in the morning. There's a lamp in there, and I use the camera flash. My other pictures are taken at all different times, most of the time with a flash.

lance02,
    Thanks very much! I'm getting closer to the look I'm after, but my chest, delts, traps and back need some work. Then I'll be happy. :)

mason,
    Thanks - I appreciate it!

Antimatter,
    Yeah - good stuff for sure. :tucool:

19. BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy Well-Known Member

Looking great John!

I'm new at all this and really hadn't decided how big I wanted to be and how I wanted to look ultimately (apart from a couple of movie star day dreams). Now I know, I wanna be built like you mate. If that's "a little soft", then give me a little soft anyday.....you look awesome! :tu:

Great work.....looking forward to tracking your progress JS.

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I'm sincerely flattered. :o Thank you... I'm still working towards my ideal body myself, but every day brings me a little closer. :)