1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

That's the first bit of spoken word we've had on the site.

Nice accent-is that a Glasgow or more Edinburgh sound?

2. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Cool accent!:tucool:

3. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

That was great ! :claplow:

4. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

:claphigh: Awsome! Not as gruff as they portray in the movies..but just plain awsome!

5. Masher

Masher Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a really bad stereotype out there. You know - the Billy Connolly, Groundskeeper Willie or Shrek accents. But most of what you guys hear is not a true Scottish accent. It's either an accent done by a real Scot who has Americanised or Anglicised his accent to make it more easy to swallow - which is why Billy Connolly has the long drawn out vowels (think "Ye knooow . . . "). Or, it's done by someone who is from somewhere else, like Canadian Mike Myers (Shrek) or Dan Castellaneta (Groundskeeper Willie) who is from Illinois. The best example I can think of is in Braveheart, where William Wallace is played by Mel Gibson (Australian). His accent is terrible.

Truth is - I'm not an ogre, nor an alcoholic. I don't smoke, and I'm not 60 years of age. I'm not the baddy in a film and I'm not here just to add cultural diversity. I'm just a 23 year old guy. We don't all sound so gruff :)

To answer the question - my accent is more a Glasgow one, but not really. I'm not from Glasgow - I'm quite a bit south from there. In Scotland, accents change considerably within a half hour's drive.

A real Scottish accent in the movies . . . hmm. Try watching some Scottish films. One you may have seen, but probably needed the subtitles to watch is Trainspotting (Ewan McGregor). This is not an exaggeration; this film WAS screened in the US with subtitles. That film, although comedy, does portray the bad bits of Scotland somewhat accurately, and the accents are spot on.

Anyway, this is a media forum, so I thought the spoken word was appropriate. Hope you enjoyed it :)

6. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Thanks everyone for the comments on my chest and also for the awesome limericks!

Masher, that's a great accent! Would you please record yourself saying "if it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!"? :lol: In case your not familiar with that, it's a reoccurring skit Mike Myers did on Saturday Night Live years ago. I always thought it was funny.

Well, I have some bad news. I injured my back yesterday doing squats. I honestly have NO idea how it happened. I was using heavy weight, but no where near my max. I warmed up properly, and was only on my second set when suddenly something happened on the way up and I had to drop the weight. I was not tired at all, and my form was very good, so I'm especially puzzled.

I'm in a hell of a lot of pain this morning. I can move around, but bending over is very difficult and painful. I don't know if I pulled a muscle or if it's something more serious. There is no way I'll be able to do any weight training in this condition (I can barely get up out of my chair). Hopefully a few days of rest will help and I will show some improvement. I'm keeping heat on it and taking some back pills to reduce any inflammation.

This is the first time I've ever hurt my back, so I'm going to see a doctor if there's no improvement by Tuesday.

Needless to say I'm pretty bummed. I hope it's just a pulled muscle and I'll be OK soon. :(

7. stoffer

stoffer Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear! Please heal quick, your results from this bulk is awesome.

Accidents happen even though you do everything right, that's just life, you'll be back soon i think.

Take care!

8. Masher

Masher Well-Known Member

I take it you're going to see a doctor? Back problems can be serious and recurring. Anyway, I don't normally slag off my accent, but to cheer you up - View attachment If it's not Scottish . . .zip . For comedy value, there's an impression of Mike Myers doing a Scottish accent, then my own accent :)

-Alan

9. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're injured. I'm nursing a pulled muscle in my neck myself. Life's not the same without working out. I don't know what to do with myself.

I know you know this, but make sure you're ready before "testing" it again.

I didn't, now I'm out for a while :(

10. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about your back John. That's terrible news. I sure hope that it's just a slight pull in your muscle and nothing serious.

Take it easy and rest it up man. Good luck.

11. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Oh that really sucks. Sorry man. John, you've gotta take it really easy for a few days. The last thing you need is for this to turn out to be one of those lingering, pain in the ass injuries. Good luck and feel better.

12. ToddB

ToddB Well-Known Member

That does indeed suck, John. I agree with DD; take it easy and heal it up right. Back pains are a pain in the ass... only higher.

13. justingodin

justingodin Well-Known Member

What the hell man?

Following your progress is like being on a roller coaster ride. This is just another hill to climb that you'll better yourself from.

At the very the least, you won't have to go through this potential setback alone.

When you do your next JSF clothing line, you should have a motivational t-shirt that lists all the injuries you've endured in your quest for a better quality of life.

14. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

that sucks.
    maybe it's a blessing in disguise so you can focus on only your shoulders for a while? :confused:

15. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your back John. Be carefull with that, as one wrong thing and its over with the lifting! What am I saying, we all know youll be carefull...if you can be that patient with the shoulder, then this back problem is a piece of cake! Wait..that isnt part of the diet plan..cake..Piece of wild rice. There thats better. :D

I thought that movie was fantastic! :tucool: I even saw it without the subtitles, and understood it.

16. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

Bummer!! That sucks to hear you hurt your back.

Please let me know the extent of it if you go to the doctor or what not.

I'd like to know how you are doing so we can get you healed up and ready for your cut that is coming up.

~SC~

17. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate the well-wishes. Thankfully I don't have to work again until Tuesday, so I'm going to be resting 100% until then. I'm in bed with heat on the injured area, only getting up to empty my bladder (I'm so used to drinking lots of water that I feel parched if I don't give myself a steady supply. Unfortunately that means lots of trips to the bathroom. Maybe I need a catheter? :lol:)

The worst part is not being able to work out. There's no way I could lift tonight (delts), I couldn't even bend over and pick up light dumbbells right now...

If it's not improved a lot by Tuesday, off to the doctor I go.

Back to bed.....

18. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

HEY!!!!! NO HEAT FOR THE FIRST 48 HOURS!!!!! You want to keep inflammation down to a minimum. ICE!ICE!ICE!!!!

19. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm sorry to hear about your back, John! Heal quick. :tu:

Actually last night I had a dream that I came to the JSF Cheat Meal and we wrestled, I beat you up, but you broke my back in two places and then I got banned and had to go live in a horrible foster home (I'm not sure why). :nono:

20. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Late entry here;

Sorry to hear about that John.

Rest it up man, you'll be back 110%

Like door said, ice and ibuprofin.