1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's October 2008 "100 Challenge" (Completed)

Discussion in '"100 Challenges"' started by John Stone, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CHALLENGE HAS BEGUN. NO MORE ENTRIES ALLOWED FOR THIS MONTH'S CHALLENGE!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions belong in this thread.

Until the challenge begins, please refrain from making any posts in this thread except your Official Entry post. Once the challenge starts, you may post all you like.

This premise of this challenge is pretty simple: Each participant starts the month with 100 points. A point is deducted each time a workout is missed, a meal is missed, an unscheduled "cheat" meal or snack is consumed or a daily update to your official challenge post is missed. The goal, of course, is to finish the month with 100 points!

Here are the rules:

1) The challenge begins on October 1, 2008. You must have your starting post up by 7:00 AM (EDT) on October 1, 2008--NO EXCEPTIONS!
    2) It doesn't matter if you are cutting, bulking or maintaining. The common goal here is 100% consistency.
    3) Each person participating in the challenge should start a post in this thread by the cut-off time. Your Official Challenge post must be updated each and every day. The updates won't take long (examples below). If you miss an update, you must deduct a point. Please note that you should edit your existing Official Challenge post--don't start a new post every day.
    4) Miss a workout for any reason, deduct a point.
    5) Miss a meal for any reason, deduct a point.
    6) Eat an unscheduled "cheat" meal or snack, deduct a point.

Feel free to post before/after pictures if you like (optional).

Of course this challenge is based on the honor system. You can cheat, but that would be pointless.

Here's an example Official Challenge post (feel free to copy and paste, substituting your own information):

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sample Official "100 Challenge" post

GOAL: Cutting

COMMENT: I want to reduce my body fat to 8%.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    Monday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: chest & triceps (PM)
    Tuesday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM)
    Wednesday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: back & biceps (PM)
    Thursday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM)
    Friday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: delts & traps (PM)
    Saturday Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: legs (PM)
    Sunday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM)

MEAL SCHEDULE
    Six meals per day, one cheat meal per week.

STARTING STATS
    WEIGHT: 200 pounds
    BODY FAT: 9.8%
    ARMS: 16.75"
    CALVES: 16.5"
    CHEST: 42.75"
    FOREARMS: 13.5"
    HIPS: 38.75"
    THIGHS: 24"
    WAIST: 32.5"

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG (Note: Each entry should be completed the day after, or at the end of the same day after all meals/workouts are completed. Please be sure to keep a running total of your points, as shown below.)

OCT 1: I did my cardio and ate all meals as scheduled.
    -0 points [100 points]

OCT 2: My car broke down and I missed my back workout. I walked to Burger King for dinner and had an unscheduled cheat meal.
    -2 points [98 points]

OCT 3: I missed my cardio today, but ate all meals as scheduled.
    -1 point [97 points]

OCT 4:

OCT 5: I missed yesterday's update, but I did my delts and traps workout yesterday, and ate all meals as scheduled (including my scheduled cheat meal). Today I did my cardio, ate all meals as scheduled and did my leg workout.
    -1 point [96 POINTS]

You get the idea.....

2. paulo_drummer

paulo_drummer Active Member

I'm in!

Here I am again for my third month. :claphigh:

GOAL: Cutting 6 pounds AND keep my PB from August and September. [94 points]

WORKOUT SCHEDULE (please see edit between days 19 and 20)
    Monday: Weight training: Upper/lower body workout
    Tuesday: Off (or 20 mins HIIT, depends on gym schedule)
    Wednesday: Upper/lower body workout
    Thursday: Elliptical 20 mins HIIT (or off, depends on gym schedule)
    Friday: Upper/lower body workout
    Saturday: Elliptical 20 mins HIIT
    Sunday: Elliptical 20 mins HIIT

UPPER/LOWER BODY TRAINING DETAILS

Upper body workout
    DB Bench Press - 4 sets of 8 reps
    Arnold DB Press - 4 sets of 8 reps
    DB Fly - 4 sets of 8 reps
    DB Reverse Fly - 4 sets of 8 reps
    DB Bent-over Row - 4 sets of 8 reps
    Cable Front Pulldown - 4 sets of 8 reps
    Abs - 3 sets of 30 reps

Lower body workout
    DB Squat - 4 sets of 8 reps
    DB Stiff Legged Deadlift - 4 sets of 8 reps
    Bulgarian Split Squats - 4 sets of reps
    Machine Leg Curls - 4 sets of 8 reps
    Machine Lower Back Push - 4 sets of 8 reps
    Standing Calf Raises - 4 sets of 20 reps
    Abs - 3 sets of 30 reps

MEAL SCHEDULE
    Six meals per day, one cheat meal per week, one cheat item per week. No alcohol allowed.
    Daily calories intake: 2.063kcal (F:20% C:40% P:40%)

STARTING STATS
    WEIGHT: 182.8 pounds
    BODY FAT: 26.3%
    ARMS: 13.4"
    CALVES: 16.1"
    CHEST: 40.9"
    FOREARMS: 9.3"
    HIPS: 38.2"
    THIGHS: 22.8"
    WAIST: 39.4"

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG

OCT 1: Everything all right on the first day. Had a good upper body workout and ate all the six scheduled meals on time.
    -0 point= [100 points]

OCT 2: Bad start. It was no training day and I needed to attend a party. Even using my fully cheat meal for the week, I lost 2 points. One for a glass of champaign and one for skip one meal.
    -2 points: [98 points]

OCT 3: Back on track, did the lower body workout and ate all the six scheduled meals.
    -0 point= [98 points]

OCT 4: 20 minutes HIIT and 6 meals all clear!
    -0 point= [98 points]

OCT 5: I nearly missed my cardio session, but somehow managed to do 20 minutes HIIT. Ate all the six scheduled meals on time.
    -0 point= [98 points]

OCT 6: Got late for the gym and needed to do my upper body workout all in supersets. It was a hell of workout! All the meals were eaten on time.
    -0 point= [98 points]

OCT 7: Did a killer 20 minutes HIIT and ate my six meals on the scheduled time.
    -0 point= [98 points]

OCT 8: Six meals and lower body workout done. Very challenging day tomorrow!
    -0 point= [98 points]

OCT 9: No training day. Ate five meals and my weekly cheat meal. Had a big party to attend, but managed to eat all right. Not a single drop of alcohol. \o/
    -0 point= [98 points]

OCT 10: Upper body workout went fine, did some biceps curls after the compounds exercises for the first time. It feels good! Ate 5 meals, because I weren't awake time enough for six, but ate every 3 hours.
    -0 point= [98 points]

OCT 11: 20 minutes HIIT and six meals on time.
    -0 point= [98 points]

OCT 12: I decided against doing cardio today due to an issue with my left arm. Anyway, minus one point for that. Everything fine on the food department.
    -1 point= [97 points]

OCT 13: Nearly missed my workout but somehow managed to get to the gym on time and had a killer lower body workout. All six meals on the right time.
    -0 point= [97 points]

OCT 14: Ate all the scheduled meals and my weekly cheat snack. But missed my cardio session.
    -1 point= [96 points]

OCT 15: No training day. Ate all the meals on the right time.
    -0 point= [96 points]

OCT 16: Upper body workout, five healthy meals and my weekly cheat meal. What else I could want!?
    -0 point= [96 points]

OCT 17: Did my lower body workout today because the gym was closed on Wednesday. Ate all the six scheduled meals.
    -0 point= [96 points]

OCT 18: Ate six meals but missed the cardio session. In fact, I didn't "missed" it, I just "decided" not to go. Something is wrong with my motivation these couple weeks. Need to figure out what had happened.
    -1 point= [95 points]

OCT 19: Shifted cardio for tomorrow due to issues in the job. Ate all by the plan.
    -0 point= [95 points]

EDIT

I'm facing time challenges in the next three months, so based on this answer John gave other member, I'm gonna change my workout schedule from today as below:

WORKOUT SCHEDULE (EDITED)
    Monday: Weight training: Upper/lower body workout + 20 mins HIIT
    Tuesday: Off
    Wednesday: Upper/lower body workout + 20 mins HIIT
    Thursday: 20 mins HIIT
    Friday: Upper/lower body workout + 20 mins HIIT
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: Off

Since I'm still doing three sessions of 20 mins HIIT per week, I think I'm still being honest with the spirit of the challenge. If someone desagree with that for some reason, please let me know. Maybe I'm missing some important point. :nod:

OCT 20: Workout and meals went all fine.
    -0 point= [95 points]

OCT 21: No training day. Ate all the meals on the right time.
    -0 point= [95 points]

OCT 22: Had a brutal lower body workout today. Ate six meals on time.
    -0 point= [95 points]

OCT 23: No training day and cheat meal day. It's the dangerous day of the week for me, but I managed to eat all the meals on the right time.
    -0 point= [95 points]

OCT 24: Upper body workout and meals went all fine.
    -0 point= [95 points]

OCT 25: Busy enough for a decent update, but ate all the meals on plan. No training day.
    -0 point= [95 points]

OCT 26: No training day. 6 meals on right time.
    -0 point= [95 points]

OCT 27: Ate well, but missed my workout.
    -1 point= [94 points]

OCT 28: No training day. Meals department went all fine.
    -0 point= [94 points]

OCT 29: Needed to shift my workout for tomorrow, use the weekly cheat meal, but ate well the rest of the day.
    -0 point= [94 points]

OCT 30: Another workout missed. I think I'll need to quite November's Challenge until I get my routine fixed. Ate the six meals on time.
    -1 point= [93 points]

OCT 31: Ate well but missed my workout and had a glass of red wine.
    -2 points= [91 points]

#2 paulo_drummer, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  3. dino

dino Active Member

4. Alosh

Alosh Active Member

COMMENT: I want to reduce my body fat % by dropping my fat weight by 2-4 kg.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    Wednesday: Cardio (Treadmill 45 mins)
    Thursday: Weight Training ( none for the first 2 weeks and Chest, Triceps and Abs for the last 2)
    Friday: Cardio (Treadmill 45 mins + Pullups)
    Saturday Weight Training ( none for the first 2 weeks and Back, Biceps and Shoulders for the last 2)
    Sunday: Cardio (Treadmill 45 mins)
    Monday: Weight Training ( none for the first 2 weeks and Legs, Traps and Abs for the last 2)
    Tuesday: Rest Day.

MEAL SCHEDULE
    Five meals per day, one cheat meal per week.

STARTING STATS
    WEIGHT: 70 kg
    BODY FAT: 18%
    ARMS: 12"
    CALVES: 13" 3/8
    CHEST: 37"
    FOREARMS:10"
    HIPS: 35"
    THIGHS: 20" 2/8
    WAIST:29"

DAILY LOG

OCT 1: Ate my meals but missed cardio. -1 pt. [99 pts]
    OCT 2: Ate all my meals and did my cardio. -0 pt. [99 pts]
    OCT 3: Ate all my meals no cardio was done as plan change made to day on/day off cardio, however couldn't access the forum for some weird Internet error and couldn't update in time. -1 pt. [98 pts]
    OCT 4: Ate all my meals and did my cardio training. -0 pt. [98 pts]
    OCT 5: Ate all my meals but no cardio today as planned. -0 pt. [98 pts]
    OCT 6: Ate all my meals and did my cardio training but missed an update. -1 pt. [97 pts]
    OCT 7: Ate all my meals but no cardio today as planned. -0 pt.[97 pts]
    OCT 8:Ate all my meals and did light full body weight training. -0 pt.[97 pts]
    OCT 9:Ate all my meals and did cardio training, cheat meal also consumed. -0 pt.[97 pts]
    OCT 10:Ate all my meals and did weight training, late update. -1 pt.[96 pts]
    OCT 11: On Business trip
    OCT 12: On Business trip
    OCT 13: On Business trip
    OCT 14: On Business trip
    OCT 15: On Business trip
    OCT 16: On Business trip
    OCT 17: Did my 40 mins cardio but meals were messed up. -1 pt.[95 pts]
    OCT 18: Did my full body weight training and ate my meals. -0 pt.[95 pts]
    OCT 19:Ate all my meals but couldn't do cardio due to sore leg muscles from last workout. -1 pt.[94 pts]
    OCT 20: Did Chest and Biceps workout and ate all my meals. -0 pt.[94 pts]
    OCT 21: Ate all my meals and no workout was done (Rest day) -0 pt.[94 pts]
    OCT 22: Ate all my meals and did a light weight training, cheat meal consumed. -0 pt.[94 pts]
    OCT 23: Ate all my meals and did a light weight training, ate some junk food. -1 pt.[93 pts]
    OCT 24: Ate all my meals and did more weight training and also ate some more junk! -1 pt.[92 pts]
    OCT 25: Missed some meals but did my weight training. -1 pt.[91 pts]
    OCT 26: Ate all my meals and did my weight training, ate some junk though. -1 pt.[90 pts]
    OCT 27: Ate all my meals in time but missed my workout today. -1 pt.[89 pts]
    OCT 28: Ate all meals and no workout was done as its a rest day. -0 pt.[89 pts]
    OCT 29: Ate all meals and did some pull-ups, missed weight training. -1 pt.[88 pts]
    OCT 30: Ate my meals and did pull-ups only, missed weight training. -1 pt.[87 pts]
    OCT 31: missed the last update! All meals consumed no weight training was done. -2 pt. [85 pts]

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

#4 Alosh, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  5. KC1985

KC1985 Active Member

After a long hiatus from fitness as well as JSF, I'm back for October 100 challenge.

COMMENT: I want to reduce my body fat.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    Fasted cardio 6x week for 45 minutes
    Following Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy by Chad Waterbury

MEAL SCHEDULE
    5-6 meals a day, lots of water (4-6 litres)

Important points:
    - Skip the chocolates/snacks/sweets from fellow workers
    - Skip the cake and other stuff during office parties
    - No sugar in tea (already the milk from the dispensing machine tastes quite sweet)
    - No cold drinks like pepsi, coca cola - drink water instead

STARTING STATS (9/30/2008)
    WEIGHT: 76.5 kgs (171.4 lbs)
    BODY FAT: 23.12%
    ARMS: 32.7 cms (12.75")
    CALVES: 36.5 cms (14.24")
    CHEST: 93.5 cms (36.46")
    FOREARMS: 29.3 cms (11.43")
    HIPS: 94.6 cms (36.89")
    THIGHS: 56.8 cms (22.15")
    WAIST: 85.8 cms (33.46")

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG (Note: Each entry should be completed the day after, or at the end of the same day after all meals/workouts are completed. Please be sure to keep a running total of your points, as shown below.)

OCT 1: Ate clean though meals were less but I'm still tinkering with my life to come up with my meal plan. Had a cardio session of around 45 minutes. Running on the treadmill seems to be harder than running outside. I wonder why considering there is no wind resistance when it comes to running on a treadmill indoors. Maybe it's the restricted motion on the treadmill because my times for running on a treadmill for a given distance are always more than running the same distance outside. -0 pts [100 pts]

OCT 2: Ate clean all day long. Meal frequency is still low but I'm working hard on increasing it. Had a nice long cardio session. Still finding my bearings in the new gym. -0 pts [100 pts]

OCT 3: Ate clean all day long and did cardio and some light exercises. Forgot to update. -1 pt [99 pts]

OCT 4: Didn't exercise. Ate clean otherwise. -1 pt [98 pts]

OCT 5: I was initially planning to go for fasted cardio 7x a week but I don't think I want to do cardio on Sundays too. Rather, I'll go for fasted cardio 6x a week and keep Sunday as a buffer day. If I miss cardio/workout during the week, then I'll make up for it on Sunday. Otherwise an uneventful day and ate clean. -0 pts [98 pts]

OCT 6:
    Excellent day. Did cardio in the morning and hit the weights in the evening. Ate clean all day long. :) -0 pts [98 pts]

OCT 7:
    Did 40 minutes of cardio in the morning. No workout was planned for the evening and so did some punching practice on the heavy bag. Ate clean. -0 pts [98 pts]

OCT 8:
    No update (-1). Nutrition was fine but no workout either (-1). -2 pts [96 pts]

OCT 9:
    No workout, bad nutrition and no update. -3 pts [93 pts]

Oct 10:
    No workout, bad nutrition and no update. -3 pts [90 pts]

Oct 11:
    No workout, bad nutrition and no update. -3 pts [87 pts]

Oct 12:
    Nutrition was spot on. It was sunday, supposed rest day though since the last week was really bad I did a short workout. -0 pts [87 pts]

Oct 13:
    Excellent day. Good nutrition and good workout. :) -0 pts [87 pts]

Oct 14:
    Another good day. Good nutrition and good cardio. -0 pts [87 pts]

Oct 15:
    Nice cardio session, decent workout and decent meals. Hang in there! -0 pts [87 pts]

Oct 16:
    Missed workout and not overly bad diet.. but still! -2 pts [85 pts]

Oct 17:
    Diet was a little off the mark. -1 pt [84 pts]

Oct 18:
    Didn't workout or do cardio. Diet was good. -1 pt [83 pts]

Oct 19:
    Sunday - off day, but forced myself to a workout to compensate for Saturday's missed workout. Diet was good. +1 pt [84 pts]

Oct 20:
    Diet was good but no workout/cardio. -1 pt [83 pts]

Oct 21:
    Diet was a *little* off mark but I'll still dock a point. Otherwise a good day. -1 pt [82 pts]

Oct 22:
    No workout/cardio though diet was on spot. Hmm.. Points getting deducted.. left right and center. -1 pt [81 pts]

Oct 23:
    I am going out for a party - this can't be good. :blank: -2 pts [79 pts]

Oct 24: :( -2 pts [77 pts]

Oct 25:
    Excellent diet and workout; unfortunately long long weekend with no internet access. Could not update -1 pt [76 pts]

Oct 26:
    Sunday - went for a get together - diet was good the whole day but got skewed somewhat at dinner time. Again, no updates. -2 pts [74 pts]

Oct 27:
    Good workout. Diet was spot on too. -0 pts [74 pts]

Oct 28:
    No workout (-1 pts) Diet was also not spot on though it didn't deviate much either. -2 pts [72 pts]

Oct 29:
    Ate a Hershey's bar.. otherwise diet was fine. No workout either. -2 pts [70 pts]

Oct 30:
    I'll be traveling tomorrow for the next few days. I've kinda given up on this month. Sucks. Diet was just OK. Mostly clean. No workout - busy finishing a lot of work - excuses, excuses... -2 pts [68 pts]

#5 KC1985, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. Breck

Breck Active Member

What the hell, I'm down

This is pretty much just what I need. Been away from these fora (under a dumb handle that I don't recall the password for and don't care) and getting fat for the last 18+ months, and just started getting serious again (read: adding cardio) less than a month ago. Let's do this.

Altering John's Sample from the opening post:

GOAL: Cutting + Recouping Some Lost Strength

COMMENT: "I want to reduce my body fat to 8%."

Well, yeah, eventually, but that's not happening in one month. I'd really like to lose >/= 6 lbs of fat this month.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE

Weight Training is all Madcow's 5x5. It worked for me before, and it's been working for me this time, 6 weeks into it.

Cardio is stationary bike or elliptical trainer or jumping rope. Mornings on weekdays, whenever on weekends. Not fasted.

HIIT (starting 10/14, once 5-wk cardio base is complete) is stationary bike or elliptical trainer or uphill sprints or jumping rope with Burpee intervals. *edit: Turns out I'll have my 25 base-building cardio sessions done earlier than I thought, so I'm starting HIIT on 10/7.

*yeah, not so much with starting on 10/7. Studying for midterms and not properly stretching in the meantime made that adjustment seem like a bad idea. Back to the 10/14 start date for HIIT.

Monday: Cardio 45 mins (aerobic) (AM); Weight training (PM).
    Tuesday: Cardio, 45 mins (aerobic,) (AM); HIIT (from 10/7) (PM).
    Wednesday: Cardio (aerobic) (AM); Weight training (PM).
    Thursday: Cardio, 45 mins (aerobic) (AM); HIIT (from 10/9) (PM).
    Friday: Cardio, 45 mins (aerobic) (AM); Weight training (PM).
    Saturday: Cardio, 45 mins (aerobic).
    Sunday: Cardio, 45 mins (aerobic).
    Either Saturday OR Sunday (flexibility is good), starting 10/11: HIIT (PM).

MEAL SCHEDULE

I'm not going to be too hardcore about this this month. My only goals on this front are to make sure I get a good protein meal down less than 60 minutes from each weight and HIIT session and to keep cheat meals (I know 'em when I see 'em) to one per week. Oh yeah, and take a daily multivitamin.

STARTING STATS ~ to be filled in on 10/1 when I pull my scale out of its hiding place

WEIGHT: 217
    BODY FAT: 27%
    LEAN BODY MASS: 158
    HEIGHT: 6'
    NECK: 16.75
    CHEST: 42
    ARMS: 14.75
    FOREARMS: 12
    WAIST: 42.25
    HIPS: 41.75
    THIGHS: 23.75
    CALVES: 16.5

ACADEMIC (NEW CATEGORY): Pre-read lecture notes before each and every class. Review lecture notes each afternoon for each and every class. Be prepared to be the Neuroscience small group facilitator each and every time we meet. Get each and every online assignment in on time.

Related: No more than 60 minutes online for non-academic use on any weekday (including updates on this thread). Keep workspace a space where I can damn well work, not a cluttered mess.

Daily Log:
    October 1: - 0 pts. (100)
    October 2: - 0 pts. (100) *Just barely. Between running errands this afternoon and rushing off to visit some folks right now I barely got all my academics done. Also, my cheat meal for the week snuck up on me this afternoon, so extra vigilance will be required until the 8th.
    October 3: - 1 (99) Doubled up on the cheat meal. Wife leaves town tomorrow for 3 weeks, so we indulged. Vigilance begins...now!
    October 4: - 0 pts. (99)
    October 5: - 1 pts. (98) I'm not entirely sure I earned this deduction, but I'm not about to be lenient, either. Breakfast was bacon and eggs instead of my usual oatmeal and yogurt. Definitely traded some extra cholesterol and salt for my fiber. Tasty, though. On the plus side, I pre-cooked food for all my lunches this week, so I should be good going forward.
    October 6: - 0 pts. (98) Good day despite not enough sleep, eating too late last night, waking up late, missing my first class, forgetting my towels and having to walk back to get them (extra 30 minutes round trip) and having my spotter give me maybe a little more help than I'd've liked with my heavy set bench press. Squats were good, food was good, studying was good enough.
    October 7: -2 pts. (96) Didn't update, didn't start HIIT today, otherwise good. With midterms coming up next week, starting HIIT this week felt like a bad idea, plus my legs were really sore. Poor excuses both. More stretching should solve the leg problem, but even perfect time management may not allow HIIT Thursday, we'll see.
    October 8: - 0 pts. (96) It's early in the day for an update, but no computer at home (long story) means I do this on campus, so I gotta be sure to be good for the rest of the day and night. Shouldn't be a problem. Got my AM cardio, studied well, ate well, on my way to the gym then home for more studying and eating well. Mmmm, tilapia!
    October 9: - 2 pts. (94) Guh. Too pooped and stressed from midterms even to think about doing HIIT. Also missed the update time because I couldn't be bothered to get back to campus to use the computers there. Now I've finally got mine back from the shop, so at least I'll be updating on schedule, if nothing else.
    October 10: -1 pts. (93) Slept in, felt like crap this morning, so I skipped cardio for the first time in >2 weeks. Exam stress in no joke. Felt better in the afternoon, studied well, lifted late, ate decent, gonna sleep like the dead tonight (I hope).
    October 11: - 0 pts. (93) Jumped rope instead of riding the stationary bike today for cardio. Wow, what difference! It was fun just to do something different, and the last time I tried to jump rope was several months ago for ~20 minutes at a time, and it was hard when I tried it then. Hard enough that I wasn't entirely certain that I'd make it through the whole 45 minutes. I'm pleased to report that I made it all the way through with not too much strain, and don't feel overly sore now. There might me something to this whole "progressive adaptation" thing, after all!
    October 12: -1 pts. (92) Phooey. Nutrition not so great today. Otherwise fine. Jumped rope for 45 minutes again and felt a-ok, something I would have thought totally impossible in August. HIIT starts Tuesday for sure, as originally scheduled.
    October 13: - 0 pts. (92) Workouts were both good, nutrition was good enough.
    October 14: - 1 pts. (91) Postponed starting HIIT again. Yesterday was a big exam on cardiovascular (and other) physiology, and today I got chest pains today while taking laundry out of the washing machine (about an hour after finishing my AM cardio). Typically for a hypochondriac med student but atypically for me, I froke out and decided it was angina pectoris. Now I'm pretty sure it was just an awkward angle and midterm stress, but I was off my rhythm for the rest of the day. Fucking hell I'll be glad when this week is over.
    October 15: - 0 pts. (91) A perfectly acceptable day with a splendid nap to boot.
    October 16: - 1 pts. (90) When I'm wrong, I'm usually the first -- well, one of the first -- well, maybe one of the first ten or so, but definitely solidly in the first 50 people to admit it, so here goes: Thinking I

I dunno what's going on, but when I open the "Edit" window, my post cuts off here. Anyway,

-2 pts for October 26: Forgot to update, blew off cardio for hanging out with the wife. New total 78. Gotta do better next month.

Oct 27 -2 (76) Forgot to update, no weights (week off as noted above, but unplanned as of 10/1)

Oct 28 -1 (75) Forgot to update

Oct 29 -2 (73) Forgot to update - don't know what happened this week with the updating. Also no weights.

Oct 30 -1 (72) Forgot to update again!

Oct 31 -1 (71) No weights, as per week off noted above.

Anyway, End stats are as follows:

Weight: 213
    Body Fat (Navy Estimate Method): 25%
    LEAN BODY MASS: 159
    HEIGHT: 6'
    NECK: 17
    CHEST: 43
    ARMS: 15
    FOREARMS: 12.5
    WAIST: 41
    HIPS: 42
    THIGHS: 24.5
    CALVES: 17

Anyway. I didn't set the world on fire this month, but 5 lbs of fat loss and 1 lb LBM gain is not bad. November, it's a 4-day/week lifting schedule, keeping up with steady state AM cardio, keeping up with the challenge (!), keeping up with school, making sure I get 7+ hours of sleep each month, and monitoring calories.

#6 Breck, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  7. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

Maggie's October 100 Challenge Log

I'm in for October, too! September's challenge has really kept me motivated on this cut.

COMMENT: Working on a serious cut through my sister's birthday on November 21 with a goal of 135 pounds by that date and 130 pounds by December 31. October's goal is to lose 4-5 pounds of fat with a target weight of 138 lbs.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    I'll be following the Red Carpet Ready program this month with some extra cardio and flexibility work:

Mon/Wed/Fri: Strength training circuits (60 min) + 100 Push Ups program (10-15 min)
    Tue/Thu/Sat: RCR HIIT (30 min) + MISS Cardio (20 min)
    Sun: Yoga (30-45 min)

I will complete the 100 Push Ups program in two weeks, at which point I will switch to a Pistol Squat Progression program with the aim of being able to do an unassisted pistol squat by November 2.

MEAL SCHEDULE
    6 meals per day, approximately 40-50% carb/30-40% protein/20-30% fat. 1400-1700 calories/day. Multivitamin, fish oil, and calcium daily. One full cheat meal per week plus one cheat item.

STARTING STATS
    WEIGHT: 143.6 lbs
    BODY FAT: 21.8% (Average of Omron, Tanita scale, and 7-site caliper)
    ARMS: 11 7/8" relaxed / 12.5" flexed
    CALVES: 14 7/8"
    CHEST: 35.75"
    FOREARMS: 9.5"
    HIPS: 38.75"
    THIGHS: 23.5"
    WAIST: 26.25"

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG:

October 1: -0 pts. (100 Total Points) 143.6 lbs. Got in my RCR A-1 workout this morning and finished off the day with some yoga in the YF meditation garden. All meals on plan. Glad to be starting another 100 challenge!

October 2: -0 pts. (100 Total Points) 144.6 lbs. Ran HIIT on a treadmill using BFL style intervals for 30 minutes at speeds 3.5-9 mph. Also did 20 minutes at level 9 on the recumbent bike and the W5D2 push up workout (19/22/18/22/63 max reps). All meals on plan.

October 3: -1 pts. (99 Total Points) Did RCR workout B1 on schedule, but had about 150 calories worth of unplanned snacks.

October 4: -1 pts. (98 Total Points) Co-worker's pool party/BBQ today. Got in my HIIT run and 100 Push Ups workout (20/24/20/22/80 max) but didn't get enough protein in meals 5 and 6 due to not being particularly hungry after party.

October 5: -1 pts. (97 Total Points) Forza workout completed this morning. Had a homemade apple raisin pocket pie instead of planned meal 6. Posted Week 2 Red Carpet Ready program pics and measurements here.

October 6: -0 pts. (97 Total Points) Workouts included 30 minutes of YF Core, 84 max push up reps, a 15 minute walk, and RCR Circuit A-1. All meals on plan (and lower in sodium).

October 7: -0 pts. (97 Total Points) 30 minutes of YF Cardio this morning, 15 minute walk during lunch, 30 minutes of HIIT bike sprints after work, and 100 Push Ups W6D1 workout with a max of 65 reps just now at home. All meals within specs, but was hungrier today due to amount of exercise and had some extra walnuts and raisins at the end of the day.

October 8: -0 pts. (97 Total Points) RCR Circuit B-1 was completed this morning. I also took a 15 minute walk for the PDB bonus challenge and did 15 minutes of YF Flexibility. All meals on plan, though dinner was probably a bit high in sodium (Dad's beef and daikon broth with green beans). Scale weight may skew a little high tomorrow as a result. My back feels fine, however, and I should be able to do a HIIT run in the morning.

October 9: -0 pts. (97 Total Points) Interval run using RCR HIIT 2 @ two minutes run (6, 7, 8, and 9 mph) and two minutes recovery (3.5 mph). 100 Push Ups W6D2 workout (22/30/24/18/60 reps), and 15 minute walk. All meals on plan.

October 10: -1 pts. (96 Total Points) Forgot to log in and type up my check-in (-1). RCR Circuit A1 and 15 minute walk completed. Also did 45 minutes of YF Cardio/Flexibility. All meals on plan.

October 11: -1 pts. (95 Total Points) Meals were on plan and 30 minutes of YF cardio was completed, but did not do planned HIIT run. Will make it up tomorrow morning.

October 12: -2 pts. (93 Total Points) Forgot to check in! (-1). Food was on plan, but scheduled yoga did not happen. (-1) :(

October 13: -0 pts. (93 Total Points) Finally made up the HIIT run before work using Afterburn-style 1-minute intervals at 3.5, 6, and 9 mph for 30 minutes. Also did scheduled RCR Circuit B2, walked at 3.5 mph and 6.5% incline for 30 minutes, and took my 100 Push Ups Week 6 max test (80 reps). Food was on plan.

October 14: -0 pts. (93 Total Points) All meals on plan. Completed an outdoor HIIT run using Turbulence Training intervals of 30 seconds full sprint + 90 seconds recovery for 10 rounds and got in a 30 minute skate during my lunch hour.

October 15: -0 pts. (93 Total Points) All meals on plan. 30 minutes of SS elliptical at level 7 and RCR Circuit A2 were completed as scheduled.

October 16: -0 pts. (93 Total Points) 142.2 lbs. Weight is dropping again. Ran HIIT intervals for 30 minutes using RCR pattern 3 at 3.5, 6.5, 7.5, 8.5, and 10 mph, then did 15 minutes on the elliptical (level 8) and 15 minutes on the stationary bike (level 9). All meals on plan.

October 17: -1 pts. (92 Total Points) 141.6 lbs. Took today as a rest day and shifted my workouts down by one day to Saturday and Sunday. (-1) All meals on plan.

October 18: -0 pts. (92 Total Points) Got in RCR Circuit B2, a YF physical challenge (increased crunches and flexibility, decreased resting and active heart rates), and a YF Cardio session. All meals on plan.

October 19: -1 pts. (91 Total Points) Didn't get in HIIT run today (-1). Took my cheat meal at lunch at a company potluck, and stayed on plan with the remainder of my meals for the day.

October 20: -0 pts. (91 Total Points) Did RCR Circuit A2 this morning, and hit the gym after work for a make up HIIT run (30 min at 3.5, 6.5, 7.5, 8.5, and 10 mph) and moderate walk/jog (3.5 mph @ 6.5% incline and 6.0 mph @ 0% incline) for 30 additional minutes. Also did 4 sets of 22-32 push ups. All meals on plan.

October 21: -0 pts. (91 Total Points) 141.2 lbs. All meals within spec today. Skated for 30 minutes this morning, then got in my HIIT run (3.5/8.5-10 mph Afterburn style intervals for 30 minutes) and an additional 15 minutes of elliptical and 15 minutes of recumbent bike after work.

October 22: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 23: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 24: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 25: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 26: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 27: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 28: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 29: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 30: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 31: - pts. ( Total Points)

#7 causticmuse, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  8. PurpleP

PurpleP Active Member

PurpleP is IN and ready

October goal is to lose 6-8 lbs, 20-24 HIIT (or aerobic) workouts, 10-12 weight training workouts.

Summer was fun, now time to pay!

SEP30: 216.5 lbs... Egads, 18 lbs gained since my Feb challenge. Time to re-focus.

OCT1: 215.0lbs/33.0%BF, afternoon aerobic, 3 clean meals, no cheats... [100 points]
    OCT2: 214.5lbs, morning HIIT, afternoon weight training - legs; three clean meals, one cheat (-1) [99 points]
    OCT3: 215.0lbs, afternoon aerobic, 3 clean meals, no cheats [99 points]
    OCT4: 214.5lbs, 3 clean meals, planned cheat, but WAY over cheated (-1) [98 points]
    OCT5: 217.0lbs, 3 clean meals, no cheats [98 points]
    OCT6: 216.0lbs,
    ... twas a bad week, no workouts, some cheats (-3) [95 points]
    OCT10: 216.0lbs,

#8 PurpleP, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  9. Jokat

Jokat Well-Known Member

If I dont do this now I may just slip too far back.

GOAL: Cut bodyfat to 8% over the next couple of months, this month I must reach 13-14% bodyfat. I have allowed myself to slip in the diet department and this is showing in the extra fat I have gained around my waist. I will put it down to a good winter bulk but now its time to shred up a bit. Besides I feel lousy from all the crap I have been eating, so a major part of this challenge for me is going to be clean eating. Super clean eating.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE

I will be taking a slightly different approach to training because I have to accommodate a shoulder injury in both shoulders so I am limited to the types of exercises I can do (no pressing movements basically). I have been running with this plan for the last couple of weeks and its working quite well for me.

Day 1: Squat Day (Legs)
    Day 2: Deadlift Day (Back)
    Day 3: Iso Day (Arms, Abs and Calves)
    After each of the days above I take a day to do just cardio in some form or another, either walking the dog or cycling or rowing at the gym.

MEAL SCHEDULE
    Five to six meals per day, no cheats at all (because I can't control myself if I have even the tiniest cheat). No alcohol allowed. I will update with my macros and calorie allowances shortly.

STARTING STATS (Gonna update on Oct 1st)
    WEIGHT: 92kg
    BODY FAT: 16.5%
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG

OCT 1 - (100 Points)

I have not taken any measurements today because its a week day and there was no time this morning. I could take measurements now but its late in the day and my standard is to take my measurements in the morning. I am having a difficult day in terms of motivation as I am beginning to feel the stirrings of a throat infection. I skipped training today because of this, but I must say that I am learning to read my body better as time goes by. I will most likely be rearing to go tomorrow morning and am looking forward to a great leg workout. YAY Squats! Diet choices today were all good ones. My approach to diet is very simple, I don't count calories but rather make the best choices possible and keep a close eye on my body composition. I know for instance that at the moment I have to avoid junk and cut down on general intake to loose some bodyfat. Train hard and eat plenty of good clean food is they way I do it.

Oct 2 - (98 points)

I indulged in a candy bar and some toffee today (-2), but my workout this morning was brutal. Squats (incl. drop sets) closely followed by barbel lunges, closely followed by a superset of leg extensions and lying leg curls. This evening I took my dog for a nice long walk and tackled a really long steep hill in my neighborhood with ease. I suspect that I will barely be able to walk tomorrow but its a cardio day and I plan on hitting the gym in the morning for some LISS cycling. Not a perfect day but I am pleased with my training at this point.

#9 Jokat, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  10. cwbolton

cwbolton Active Member

GOAL: Cutting/Toning/Bulking (basically loosing fat on my stomach and gain some muscle)

COMMENT: i want to take the fat off my stomach so i can have a visible 6 pack and build some total body muscle

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    Monday: Jogging 3 miles (AM); Weight training: Arms, chest (PM)
    Tuesday: Jogging 3 miles (AM) Weight training: Legs, Back, Shoulders (PM)
    Wednesday: Jogging 3 miles (AM);
    Thursday: Jogging 3 miles (AM) Weight training: Arms, chest (PM)
    Friday: Jogging 3 miles (AM); Weight training: Legs, Back, Shoulders (PM)
    Saturday Jogging 3 miles (AM);
    Sunday: Jogging 3 miles (AM) Weight training: Arms, chest (PM)

MEAL SCHEDULE
    6 meals a day 1 cheat meal a week

STARTING STATS WILL TAKE ON OCT 1ST
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG

OCT 1: -0 points [100 points]

OCT 2:

OCT 3:

OCT 4:

OCT 5:

OCT 6:

OCT 7:

11. Roibus

Roibus Active Member

I'm in too. Was a long time ago.. !

12. Quigzy

Quigzy Active Member

I'm in as well. Hopefully this will help me stick to my diet at last

13. pjm

pjm Well-Known Member

COMMENT: Second month with these 100 challenges, really enjoyed the first one. I will continue with my cut. As my classes become a little bit more intense and we move into midterms this month, I need to focus on consistency with diet and workouts. Last month i did OKAY, but not great. I MUST come out of this month with a higher point total than last month (which was 75 pts)

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    M/W/F = Weights
    Tues/Thurs = Cardio (LISS or HIIT)
    Sat/Sun = Optional cardio

MEAL SCHEDULE

5 meals/day, all healthy choices. This month i will have a new rule: Need at least one source of protein in each meal.

STARTING STATS

WEIGHT: 199

Daily Log:

October 1: -1 pts. (99 Total Points) Missed a meal today, not a great start to the month. I did complete my workout, added another 10 lbs to my deadlift, but I never really got into it today. Just felt like i was going through the motions and i couldn't wait for it to be over. Most likely due to the timing of my meals and not eating enough before the workout.
    October 2: -1 pts. (98 Total Points) Missed my scheduled cardio tonight, but otherwise not too bad. I am really bad at keeping up with this cardio, must focus on more consistency with that.
    October 3: -1 pts. (97 Total Points) Cheat meal, something came up and i'll have to make up my workout tomorrow morning.
    October 4: -0 pts. (97 Total Points) Quick update: Ate well, solid nutrition, ect... the usual.
    October 5: -0 pts. (97 Total Points) Good day, good nutrition... i'll check my weight tomorrow morning to keep things consistent.
    Weight:

October 6: -0 pts. (97 Total Points)
    Great workout. Didn't manage to increase weights on deadlift but i did tough out some extra reps and felt a bit more in control of the weight. My form on Romanian DLs also improved, i can really feel it in the hamstrings now. Nutrition was good all day.
    October 7: -1 pts. (96 Total Points) Missed my cardio session... again. I'm extremely bad for consistency with cardio. I PROMISE to you, JSF, that i will complete my cardio session on Thursday. Ate my 5 as per schedule.
    October 8: -2 pts. (94 Total Points) First of all, thank god i wrote down my POLI SCI assignment was due today. I logged in to update on here, noticed i wrote that reminder for myself, remembered i still have not submitted the assignment (due at 12pm - it was about 11:20pm at the time i noticed). Had to do some extra work on it but managed to get it in with about 5 minutes to spare. Score! As for the points - i missed a meal and didn't eat as healthy as i could have. Tomorrow lunches are prepared, so i should be fine, and i WILL get my workout done tomorrow.
    October 9: -1 pts. (93 Total Points) Ugh, hate to write this given my statements yesterday, but i missed my workout today - academics stuff really caught up with me and it simply had to take precedence. I'll try to recover with extra sessions over the weekend.
    October 10: -2 pts. (91 Total Points) Missed 1 meal and a workout. Simply academic again, assignments due at specific due dates and i simply had to work on them rather than workout. It happens, and these couple of days off training might help, so long as i go back into the thick of things full force through the end of the week and into next week.
    October 11: -0 pts. (91 Total Points) Worked all day - otherwise, nutrition was okay.
    October 12: -1 pts. (90 Total Points) Thanksgiving is tomorrow (in Canada), but we had our dinner tonight. Probably over-ate, so i'll deduct a point, but i'll consider the rest my cheat meal for the week.
    Weight:

October 13: -1 pts. (89 Total Points) Thanksgiving dinner with the other side of the family - have to push my workout to tomorrow (-1).
    October 14: -1 pts. (88 Total Points) OOPS, missed this update!
    October 15: -0 pts. (88 Total Points) POLI Midterm Great workout, decent nutrition. My academics are not where they should be at this point, though. I'll have to head over to the university on Sunday to catch up on everything.
    October 16: - 0pts. (88 Total Points) Great day, got caught up on some academics stuff. Need to work on preparing lunches, im buying way too much food.
    October 17: -0 pts. (88 Total Points) Had a great workout today - it was simply 2 exercises, Squats and Pull-ups, just a bunch of heavy sets of each exercise. Squat is at a new personal best. Had this week's cheat meal. Will try to fit in a cardio session tomorrow morning.
    October 18: -0 pts. (88 Total Points) Wasn't able to fit cardio in this morning, forgot i had to go to my optometrist appointment. It was optional, so no biggie. Tomorrow i'll catch up on academics and will fit in another training session, although i'm not sure what i want to do now after my total body workouts have completed. Do i do a upper/lower split? Push/Pull? Bodypart split? or continue rotating full body workouts? I REALLY want to build up my strength, but i'm also trying to cut. I was thinking about doing what John was "supposed" to do, in rotating an intensity week with a maximal strength week... ill figure it out.
    October 19: -1 pts. (87 Total Points) Had an unscheduled cheat snack, and never got around to my (optional) workout. Tomorrow is heavy deads, though, so an extra recovery day after the heavy squats might do me some good. Weight is down to 197... slow progress, but progress nonetheless.
    Weight: 197 (-2)

October 20: -0 pts. (87 Total Points) Great day,great nutrition. Did some heavy deadlifts today - working sets of 10, 6, 3, 3, 3, 6, and then 6 reps. Put 30 lbs on my personal best! Probably one of the best lifting sessions i've ever had. Looking forward to Wednesday's workout!
    October 21: -0 pts. (87 Total Points) ECON Midterm Another good day of nutrition. Did my cardio session (!!!!!!!!!!!!), 40 minutes on the stationary bike while wathcing the Flames vs Capitals game.
    October 22: -0 pts. (87 Total Points) Good nutrition. Upper body day - forgot how tough Hang Cleans were. Noticed my bench is not really very strong. At least, not where it should be. I'll see how it improves over the next couple of weeks... i should gain some strength, my rep scheme is 5x5, thats where it should be if i'm wanting to gain strength.
    October 23: -1 pts. (86 Total Points) Missed this update (-1)
    October 24: -3 pts. (83 Total Points) Baaaaaaad day. Poor nutrition, missed a meal, and had to move my workout to tomorrow because i'm studying for my genetics midterm tomorrow.
    October 25: -1 pts. (82 Total Points) GENETICS Midterm ......... that was a rough test. Nutrition wise... i didn't do bad. Workout wise.... had to move it back one day again, academics pushed it... will get it done tomorrow to make sure i get all my workouts in this week.
    October 26: -1 pts. (81 Total Points) Forgot to update
    Weight:

October 27: -2 pts. (78 Total Points) UGH..... another bad day. Poor nutrition and missed workout. To finish above 75 pts (my goal), i cannot lose more than 2 points for the rest of the week. Here goes nothing!
    October 30: - pts. ( Total Points) My Birthday!
    Month Summary:

#13 pjm, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  14. growlcrowl

growlcrowl Active Member

First time/long time
    first month ever

GOAL: Getting in shape having at least 50 points leftover.

COMMENT: I'm at college lifting, need to drop a few pounds for my general well being and get in shape. I wanted to try the 100 point challenge to keep me motivated on a diet because I currently eat somewhere between 4 and 6 thousand calories a day easily

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    Monday: Running (30 mins) (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: Shoulders (PM)
    Tuesday: Stationary Bike (45 mins)
    Wednesday: Running, 30 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: Chest & Triceps (PM)
    Thursday: Weight Training: Legs (PM), Sprints
    Friday: Elliptical (45 mins)
    Saturday: Running, 30 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: Back & Biceps (PM)
    Sunday: Stationary Bike, 45 mins

MEAL SCHEDULE
    Six meals per day, 2 cheat meals per week

STARTING STATS
    WEIGHT: 235 pounds
    BODY FAT: unknown
    ARMS: 15.5"
    CALVES: 18"
    CHEST: 46"
    FOREARMS: 12"
    HIPS: 44.25"
    THIGHS: 28.5"
    WAIST: 42"

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG:

OCTOBER 1: Lifted, ran, and ate as scheduled.
    -0 points [100 points]

OCTOBER 2: Ate 6 meals, went to the gym and did legs and sprints.
    -0 points [100 points]

OCTOBER 3: Bad day - missed workout for a nap then went out with friends
    -3 points [97 points]

OCTOBER 4: Missed morning workout (sleepy) lifted in the PM. Ate one cheat meal for dinner.
    -1 Point [96 points]

OCTOBER 5: Forgot to update. Did stationary bike.
    -1 point [95 points]

OCTOBER 6: All workouts done as scheduled
    -0 points [95 points]

OCTOBER 7: All workouts done and meals eaten as scheduled.
    -0 points [95 points]

#14 growlcrowl, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  15. woyman

woyman Active Member

I'm IN!

GOAL: To follow the P90X program as scheduled as strictly as possible for October.

COMMENT: Program started on Sept. 22, 2008, it being a 90 day program, it should end on Dec. 21, 2008. I want to see where this takes me.
    (Btw, this is my first post! Whoo!)

WORKOUT SCHEDULE

Monday: (AM) Weight training: Chest & back; (PM) Cardio: Kickboxing, 30 mins
    Tuesday: (AM) Cardio: Plyometrics, 60 mins;
    Wednesday: (AM) Weight training: Shoulders & arms; (PM) Cardio: Kickboxing, 30 mins
    Thursday: (AM) Cardio: Yoga, 60 mins;
    Friday: (AM) Weight training: Legs & back; (PM) Cardio: Kickboxing, 30 mins
    Saturday (AM) Cardio: Kickboxing, 60 mins;
    Sunday: (AM) Cardio: Kickboxing, 30 mins; Stretching, 30 mins

MEAL SCHEDULE
    Six meals per day, one cheat meal per week. (This sounds like a good idea)

STARTING STATS
    WEIGHT: 218 pounds
    BODY FAT: 26%
    ARMS: 14.5"
    CALVES: 17.5"
    CHEST: 41.0"
    FOREARMS: 12.0"
    HIPS: 40.0"
    THIGHS: 25.5"
    WAIST: 41.0"

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG

OCT 1: Did my weight training & cardio. Plus ate all my scheduled meals!
    - 0 points [100 Points]

OCT 2: Did my cardio and ate all my meals. Cardio was tough this morning but I didn't want to deduct any points! :tu:
    - 0 points [100 Points]

OCT 3: Did my cardio, but missed my weight training. I had all my meals on time, and I used a cheat meal for one of them (arepa with chicken, onions and cheddar)
    - 1 points [99 Points]

OCT 4: Great day today. Had all my meals on time and also did a 4 hour hike that was absolutely amazing. I had been doing some good cardio about 3 weeks now but I was astonished at how fast I was able to catch my breath and bring my heartbeat back down during the breaks. Being fit is becoming something that's pretty awesome. Keep it up everyone.
    - 0 points [99 Points]

OCT 5: Did my cardio and did my stretching. Also had all my meals on time. It was a great workout weekend. Can't wait for doing my chest and back tomorrow.
    - 0 points [99 Points]

OCT 6: Did my AM workout but work got out of hand and ended up not being able to do my PM workout. :mad: Going to bring it hard tomorrow. Also had all my meals on time. I'm beginning to enjoy having 6 small meals and finding myself getting hungrier a lot sooner now.
    - 1 points [98 Points]

OCT 7: Missed my update, :( but I did my cardio and had all my meals.
    - 1 points [97 Points]

OCT 8: Did my cardio and my weights! Feeling good! Ate all my meals too.
    - 0 points [97 Points]

OCT 9: Done for today. Cardio and had all my meals. I noticed however, that I'm not losing any weight... I do feel much better tho.
    - 0 points [97 Points]

OCT 10: Did my cardio and then did my legs and back. I am noticably slimmer according to co-workers! Whoo! Had my cheat meal and had all my meals on time.
    - 0 points [97 Points]

OCT 11: Cardio done! Had all meals! Starting tomorrow the P90X program changes up a bit.
    - 0 points [97 Points]

OCT 12: Did my cardio and stretching today. But I had some cake due to my nephew's birthday. MINUS ONE!
    - 1 points [96 Points]

OCT 13: Weights and cardio! Done! Tomorrow is cardio day.
    - 0 points [96 Points]

OCT 14: Arg. We had training at work all day. I had a donut and after the meeting was done I was exhausted. Didn't workout either.. :( I really have to bring it strong tomorrow. GAR!
    - 2 points [94 Points]

OCT 15: Did my workout for today and had all my meals! Woot!
    - 0 points [94 Points]

OCT 16: Cardio and ate my meals on time! Was soo busy that I almost skipped a meal. :nono:
    - 0 points [94 Points]

OCT 17: Had my cheat meal and ate all my meals. But I missed my workout due to getting out of work at 9PM. Arg. I need to step it up this week and the following in order to complete above 90!
    - 1 points [93 Points]

#15 woyman, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  16. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

GOAL: Maintain/Clean Bulk

COMMENT: This is my second month! First month I did great but 2-3 weeks in I changed my focus to gaining muscle. I'm going to continue with limited cardio for the month of October. I'm doing a clean bulk and trying to keep some ab definition.

Through the month of September I gained around four pounds and hope to continue this slow and steady gain.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE

Weight Lifting
    Day 1
    : Chest and Triceps
    Day 2: Upper Back and Biceps
    Day 3: Legs and Abs/Lower Back
    Day 4: Forearms, Shoulders
    Day 5: Swim laps at the pool.

MEAL SCHEDULE

5-6 meals/day. Healthy choice/poor choice. I'm satisfied with my body's counting skills so I won't put a calorie limit. I get three cheat snacks a week (Less than 500 calories). One cheat meal/drinking night. A few beers count as a cheat snack.

STARTING STATS

WEIGHT: 170-175 <-- My weight fluctuates a lot

Daily Log:

Morning Weight:172

October 1: ate healthy. I didn't get to work out as I was very busy all day, but that's okay no points lost. -0 pts. (100 Total Points)
    October 2: I was pretty bad. Got a work out in but ate a lot of junk. Deduct all cheat snacks. -0 pts. (100 Total Points)
    October 3: Ate reasonably well but still had a few bad items. However, I did get my workout in. -1 pts. (99 Total Points)
    October 4: Skipped one meal and had some chips. -1 pts. (98 Total Points)
    October 5: Rest day. Ate 100 percent clean. -0 pts. (98 Total Points)
    October 6: Workout day (chest tris), ate healthy. -0 pts. (98 Total Points)
    October 7: workout day (bi's back), ate healthy, but didn't swim this week. -1 pts. (97 Total Points)
    Morning Weight:173.5

October 8:No workout, but I swam 450 meters (just started). ate healthy -0 pts. (97 Total Points)
    October 9: did a leg/abs workout and maxed out my bench with one of my buds. 275! 30 pounds since mid august! -0 pts. (97 Total Points)
    October 10: Did a crappy lift session that focused on forearms and calves. I had doing those body parts because I don't get a good sweat going. Ate one unhealthy snack, a donut. otherwise, healthy (1/3). - -0pts. (97 Total Points)
    October 11: Had my cheat meal with my mom, but I was still consciece while even cheating. Did a chicken sandwhich --white bread and cheese and then instead of fries i got the soup. I really don't enjoy eating unhealthy at all. Rest day! -0 pts. (97 Total Points)
    October 12: Ate healthy, some cheese for a cheat snack (2/3). REst day -0 pts. (97 Total Points)
    October 13: Did a pretty killer workout (tri's chest). ate clean. -0 pts. (97 Total Points)
    October 14: Darn, missed my workout. Got about halfway through and stopped because I felt pain in my shoulder. Woke up with the pain and it came back when I was lifting. It's gone now. Will attempt to finish my workout tommorow.-1 pts. (96 Total Points)
    Morning Weight: 174

October 15: Went swimming and then came home and ate lot of food. Also had a slice of pizza. I will deduct the cheat meal. -1 pts. (95 Total Points)
    October 16: Leg lift. Ate well. Went to the bars and only had one shot (cheat snack). Literally argued with people for 15 minutes about why I wasn't drinking. At least my closer friends were cool about it. -0 pts. (95 Total Points)
    October 17: Rest day. Ate well. -0 pts. (95 Total Points)
    October 18: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 19: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 20: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 21: - pts. ( Total Points)
    Morning Weight:

October 22: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 23: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 24: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 25: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 26: - pts. ( Total Points)
    October 27: - pts. ( Total Points)
    Morning Weight:

October 30: - pts. ( Total Points)

#16 Lone Wolf, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  17. Gator

Gator Active Member

See Journal

#17 Gator, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  18. mike45

mike45 Well-Known Member

GOAL: Clean Bulk, Clean Maintenance, However it turns out

COMMENT: Last month I was doing fairly well with the 100 challenge, and gave in towards the end. Partially cause I was visiting home and just let my diet go, and didn't exercise. But now I'm dedicated to staying on track healthwise, overall I just feel so much better. My goals are also not to smoke, and to limit drinking. Those behaviors just inhibit progress. I want to get about 8 hours of sleep a night as well. I know I can be very successful since I will be working hard, I just have to keep the diet, behavior, and sleep portion on track.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE (as of now)
    Tuesday/Thursday/Friday - Workouts
    Sunday - Weights
    Monday/Wednesday - Off

MEAL SCHEDULE
    About 5 to 6 healthy meals a day. New rule this month - NO CHEAT MEALS OR CHEAT SNACKS - Let's see how this goes!

STARTING STATS
    WEIGHT: 165 or so

10/1/08 - Started off well. Ate well, day of rest (to complete my week of rest), and tomorrow I'll be getting back into the swing of things. I didn't really eat all that much today, but I was mostly just sitting around all day anyway. [100 points]

10/2/08 - Got a good workout today. Ate well and I'm tired. [100 points]

10/3/08 - Worked out, ate well. [100 points]

10/4/08 - Got a good workout, however later on I smoked and drank. Kept my diet on track though (surprisingly), but I'm going to have to deduct 2 points. [98 points]

10/5/08 - Ate well, had a day of rest. [98 points]

10/6/08 and 10/7/08 - Have to subtract three points. One for missed update, one for smoking, one for not being spot on with diet. I have been eating okay in general, no actual cheat meal comes to mind, but I certainly wouldn't say that I've been spot on. However I've been working out and such so thats good. [95 points]

#18 mike45, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  19. Cytochrome

Cytochrome Active Member

After a Hiatus as Well

Goals: Cutting, overcoming the uncontrollable inhalation of carby sugary crap-food every fourth week or so (pattern: watch me do great for 3 weeks and then tank massively during the 4th...let's do something about that, hmm? Yesyes...)

Starting weight: 148 <--- Dude, some of that HAS to be water...
    Starting BF%: ~20%

Workouts:
    Cardio: ~45 min. cardio; HIIT-type cardio Sun/Tue/Thu

Weights:
    Legs
    Chest
    Back
    Plyos
    Delts
    Off
    (Repeat)
    Abs whenever I damn well think I need it; same with calves, low back, forearms/grip.

Nutrition: Tracked in FitDay, keep it clean. A healthy treat on Saturday (protein ice cream, ostrich burger, etc.) 5-6 meals a day, keep it clean, lots of veggies, cut down the sweeteners, blah blah blah. Make sure to pack food for work. Take a freaking vitamin once in a while, would ya?

By the way, Halloween is a free day after work, but nothing too crazy 'cause I have to get up early on Saturday (I KNOW...).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oct. 1: I hadn't prepared food to take to work today, so I subsisted on protein bars, whey, and oats. And carrots. That's not exactly awesome, but it doesn't suck enough to subtract a point. Got in my a.m. cardio (40 min.--some videos are shorter and some are longer, so meh) and back day after work. And a righteous beet salad for dinner. Beets kinda taste like dirt--really delicious dirt. Will be packing more of it for lunch tomorrow, and some other assorted veg salads and some of the giant beef roast that's in the oven now. Mmm, meat...100 points, huzzah. :tucool:

Oct. 2: I was having an off kinda day today. So wanted to sit around and watch TV and eat crap after work, but hated the idea of pussing out in front of everyone here and having to post subtracted points. :nope: Ended up putting in a HARD interval workout and plyos after all, plus abs. And ate within parameters. Horray for not being a total pansy. 100 points.

Oct. 3: The gym closed early today, it being Friday. Of course I didn't know that, what with the new schedule and blah blah blah. And it took me AN HOUR to get home today (double the usual!) because of traffic (why? because it RAINED?!--people need to remember how to freakin' drive in the rain...it needn't be such a huge surprise that it causes a bunch of traffic--ridiculous). BUT, my apartment complex has a little fitness room, so I did delts in there with the ghetto bowflex-type machine and managed to get cardio done (very LATE, but I did indeed get it done, so THERE). No points lost there! My meals at work were not very inspired because I ran out of veggies (meals were beef and carrots, beef and carrots, beef and carrots), but it got the job done--didn't get desperately hungry enough to eat the stale-looking danishes someone brought in (ew). 100 points

Oct. 4: Farmer's market today! All those fresh veggies, yay! I made some fresh pico de gallo from a raw-food recipe website. It's fan-freaking-tastic! I made tacos with very lean ground beef and made a taco shell by doing that thing where you melt cheese in the oven and make it crispy and form it into a shell. Some lettuce and the pico de gallo on there...yum. Extremely. Tasty. To go with it, a mojito slushy from fresh ingredients as well (no alcohol or sugar, though--this is a treat meal on the weekend when I have time to cook fun meals, not a time to eat junk). So all meals were clean. No lifting scheduled today, but I did do cardio (kick-boxing type--I was PUMPED and sweating my butt off). Did a bunch of walking 'cause I had to run errands and go to the hardware store, but I don't actually consider walking exercise. Puh-leaze. Maybe if you're 85 years old or 300 pounds. Overall, a good day! 100 points Veggies and walking make me happy! :jumping:

Oct. 5: Leg day done (with abs), intervals/cardio done, although I had to do them on the ghetto elliptical machine, which I hate. All meals clean. Not really much to report. 100 points

Oct. 6: Very busy at work today, but meals were clean (no office cookies/cake for ME...actually, the sight of everyone sitting around chewing like a herd of fat cows...made them suddenly unappetizing). Chest day done, threw in some calves. Made a bunch of salads from my farmer's market veggies for the week, because I'm AWESOME. Tiny green beans! Yellow pepper! fresh basil! Spaghetti squash! And so on. Overall, I'm just riding the wave of high motivation. 100 points

Oct. 7: Short on time; wanna get to bed but everything went a-okay. Back and abs today, cardio, intervals. Legs VERY sore, but warmed up thoroughly and ended up pushing the intervals really hard at the end. Felt great! 100 points

Update: Weight 140 (I TOLD you there was a bunch of water to lose), BF% 18

Oct. 8: Aaaand just like that, motivation leaves me. I feel like a fat blob. S'okay, still doing everything. Do it anyway! So cardio and plyos and all clean meals. Cooked an entire small chicken (they were on sale for $3!) so there's meat for the rest of the week. Low on veggies. Thought I bought a ton on Saturday but apparently it wasn't quite enough--I guess that means I'm eating LOTS of veggies. That's good. Glad Wednesday (hump day!) is over.... 100 points

Oct 9: Cardio, delt day, intervals done, all clean meals. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow! :nod: A little bit of light dancing, though, probably... 100 points

Oct. 10: Off day, yeah! Not a great day nutritionally, but nothing egregious. Went to Thrill the World practice, which lasted a couple hours but wasn't strenuous at all. Ended up having to walk home because the buses weren't running that late. So...I guess that's a bit of activity. :confused: Need more veggies at farmer's market tomorrow! :drool: 100 points

Oct. 11: Morning cardio, check. Leg day, check. Was busy and forgot the gym closed early on weekends, but did the Leg Matrix at home (die, legs, die!...owowow) for my workout. Stocked up on delicious veggies at farmer's market and then had a lovely dinner of spaghetti squash with meaty marinara sauce, a classic green salad, and some weird recipe I found for cauliflower cheese sticks (that were surprisingly good). So nutrition, check. Ran a ton of errands--a very busy day. My upper body is starting to look rather lean but then my lower body and love handles are still gross so I feel rather incongruous and lumpy...kind of depressing. :cry: Still, what can I do? Just have to wait it out and hope everything evens out eventually. Bleh... 100 points <--(Oops, I keep forgetting to put my point value.)

Oct. 12: Having some internet problems, so I'm trying to work around them (my provider SUCKS). Chest and abs, cardio/intervals all done. Eating okay but nothing verboten. I think I might be entering the dreaded week, so must be extra vigilant. Hit all workouts, extra veggies, be wary of slacking!! So far, still 100 points.

Oct. 13: Internet problems continue! :doh: I'm posting when I can, people... Anyway, was really busy at work so the day flew by. Nearly missed my back workout but crammed it in there in the end. Food was not terribly inventive, but acceptable. I can't believe I still have 100 points. I'm waiting for the other shoe...doom and all that. Tanking. *Sigh* Best to not think about it too much.

Oct. 14: Taking 5-HTP to even my mood for the next week or so. Was in a GREAT mood today, so either it's working well or the placebo effect is working well. MAYBE it'll curtail any dietary freak-outs? Yes, my paranoia continues. 'Cause it won't ever be like, "Oh, I lost a point today 'cause I had a cookie," it'd be like -10 points. And then the next day another ten. Egads. IN THE MEANTIME, got all cardio and intervals and workouts done, plus some abs. And nutrition was on target. ALL IS STILL GOING WELL, holy bleep! For now, all 100 points are intact! Ate some tasty fish for dinner tonight, and made enough to take for lunch(es) tomorrow. Oh, my scale broke (batteries), so no weight update tomorrow but this morning it was 138. So it's going well. :gl:

Oct. 15: Hark, the phase come-eth where I'm starting to lean out in places, which makes other bits stand out in contrast and look pretty blobby. I hate this stage; it's really disheartening. Like I feel like I'm gonna look like a freak or something. FOR. EV. ER. But, um, I guess being ALL blobby is worse, right? It's gotta be just a stage... There will come a day when I'm lean everywhere, eh, eh? Anyhoo, did cardio in the evening after delt day, and crammed the remnants of whatever vegetables are still hanging around in my fridge into salads for work. And took the fish, of course. Tasty. Made some protein taffy: 1sc. whey protein + 1 tbsp. water, pulled and smooshed until it developed a really nice chewy taffy consistency. I dunno if my brand is particularly conducive or if it's all whey...but it has a really satisfying texture. My 100 points are safe for another day.

Oct. 16: Just cardio and intervals today (no weights). Intervals felt GREAT. Miraculously... Eating all good, lots of veggies. Not much to report. Oh yeah, weight 137.5, BF 17%. (Got battery for my scale.) 100 points

Oct. 17: Business as usual. Leg day with abs (bit lethargic, but got there in the end and got 'er done), cardio, sound nutrition. Got some delicious steel-cut oats--yummmm... 100 points

Oct. 18: Pomegranate season! Got a pomegranate. And plenty of veggies for the week from farmer's market. I have some new salad recipes I want to try. Was gonna take it easy on cardio but did a harder workout because, well, I'm getting fitter and they're not so hard anymore! Didn't make it to the gym before it closed but the chest workout I got in the tiny apt. fitness room was great. The pulleys made for a different stimulus and my pecs ended up fried by the end. My treat meal for the week was brunch, with protein pancakes and sausage and turkey bacon. The sausage (actually found some without sugar and nitrites) was...not very good. I got some of that sugar-free pancake syrup, which is good but I severely limited it because my intestines aren't so good with sugar alcohols. Still, the place smelled like syrup for hours, so it really made it feel like a treat. Oh, I bought a food scale! I splurged and got the one that was slightly more expensive because it's brushed steel and very flat and compact. A lovely new kitchen toy--it'll help me weigh out meat portions and such that end up pretty nebulous otherwise. A great day, still with 100 points!

Oct. 19: So tired now, so not much to write, but all went well. Cardio, back day, food--checkity check. 100 points

Oct. 20: I made the tastiest salad today! Got it out of a magazine, with corn, green beans, tomatoes, peas...just excellent. I think I had a bit too much sodium, though. Ah well. Great workouts...overall a great day. Feelin' good and all 100 points intact.

Oct. 21: Was getting pretty grumpy today but listened to some music and perked up in time to work out after work and have a GREAT workout. And did HARD intervals! All meals tasty as hell and right on. Tomorrow is officially the fourth week, so forget the earlier paranoia--I need to start being super-vigilant. No compromise! I want to keep all 100 points for the month!! But it's not all-or-nothing, so if I start losing points, I'll put the brakes on it ASAP and just get as a high as possible. :flex: I promise to log stupid point-losses and stay accountable rather than just disappearing. :gl:

Oct. 22: Hey, y'all, it's officially week four. 136 and 16.5%-ish. Had a great day with just cardio. Lots of veggies. I seem to be sleeping less, hmmm... You know, naturally. As in needing less sleep. Didn't get much done in the way of projects today, but relaxed and had a nice evening after work. Hump day is OVER. Not much to report. 100 points

Oct. 23: Leg day! I'm so proud--I squatted today and my back didn't feel weird or anything! I aligned properly! I found a stance that works, apparently! *Joy* Also did intervals running on an incline (yes, after my leg workout...I is dumb) and abs. Nutrition right on. 100 points

Oct. 24: Motivation died today. Oh, I got in my cardio and chest workout and proper nutrition and all, but man, I saw myself on video. Thought I was looking much better, but still totally blobby. That's sad--probably WAS worse before. It doesn't help that I'm so pale any definition I might've had gets washed out. I guess I'm just discouraged--am I naturally just a stump? Are my muscles making me blocky? What the hell am I supposed to do about that? Bleh. Just keep cutting, I guess. 'Cause the alternative (being a couch potato) is utterly unacceptable. I may feel like a miserable little toad for the rest of the week...but at least I've still got 100 points.

Oct. 25: It was Thrill the World today! People across the world got together as zombies and danced Michael Jackson's Thriller! It was awesome. Even got back in time to catch farmer's market for veggies for the week. I definitely have muscles now--they look kinda soft, but they're there. And my waist just keeps shrinking. Fan-freaking-tastic. Had a great back workout, sans lazy workout partner. Made a nice little burger with turnip fries (so good!--even if I wasn't cutting, I think I'd prefer these to regular potato fries) for my treat meal of the week. Only five more days left! I just have to be prepared food-wise this week and I'll make it with my 100 points!

Oct. 26: Got lots of errands done today, but managed to do cardio in the a.m. before everything and then workout/intervals in the evening. Plus abs. Didn't get much cooking done for the week but there are plenty of veggies for work! Gotta sew my coat for Halloween--only a few more days! 100 points

Oct. 27: Great delt workout today, plus calves. My calves are SHOT now. Cardio done, nutrition right on target with lots of veggies. Nothing much to report--just 100 points.

Oct. 28: No weights today, just cardio/intervals. Made it lower carbs, too, since I didn't really need them after cardio. Pepperidge Farm cookies at work looked pathetic and too packaged/processed; I was walking by them all day with no problems at all, oddly enough. Did have some yummy sugar-free jello gummy things I made. I love being able to eat the whole bag and barely denting 50 calories. Only a couple more days left to Halloween! 100 points

Weight:
    133.5 BF%: ~16%

Oct. 29: No gym partner today, but a tough leg workout! Deadlifting was great but also squatting is still being wonderfully natural-feeling. Finishing the month out strong. Cardio and nutrition all in line. I've signed up for another month, of course, and will be doing December, too. 100 points!

Oct. 30: Last intervals of the month! I pushed them hard knowing that tomorrow I won't work out. Also did chest day, rar! Always fun. Nutrition fine. Made it with 100 points! Halloween is technically a treat day and no workouts. I'll be checking in early.

Oct. 31: Last day! Wow--all went well up through work, very tired. Stayed up to sew costume. Need to get to bed early. Starting November challenge tomorrow with my 100 point precedent!

#19 Cytochrome, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  20. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

THE CHALLENGE HAS BEGUN. NO MORE ENTRIES ALLOWED FOR THIS MONTH'S CHALLENGE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.