1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone's April 2011 "100 Challenge" (Completed)

Discussion in '"100 Challenges"' started by John Stone, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CHALLENGE HAS BEGUN. NO MORE ENTRIES ALLOWED FOR THIS MONTH'S CHALLENGE!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until the challenge begins, please DO NOT make any posts in this thread except your Official Entry post (a single placeholder post is OK). Once the challenge starts, you may post all you like.

This premise of this challenge is pretty simple: Each participant starts the month with 100 points. A point is deducted each time a workout is missed, a meal is missed, an unscheduled "cheat" meal or snack is consumed or a daily update to your official challenge post is missed. The goal, of course, is to finish the month with 100 points!

Here are the rules:

1) The challenge begins on April 1, 2011. You must have your starting post up by 9:00 AM (EDT) on April 1, 2011--NO EXCEPTIONS!
    2) It doesn't matter if you are cutting, bulking or maintaining. The common goal here is 100% consistency.
    3) Each person participating in the challenge should start a post in this thread by the cut-off time. Your Official Challenge post must be updated each and every day. The updates won't take long (examples below). If you miss an update, you must deduct a point. Please note that you should edit your existing Official Challenge post--don't start a new post every day.
    4) Miss a workout for any reason, deduct a point.
    5) Miss a meal for any reason, deduct a point.
    6) Eat an unscheduled "cheat" meal or snack, deduct a point.

Feel free to post before/after pictures if you like (optional).

Of course this challenge is based on the honor system. You can cheat, but that would be pointless.

Here's an example Official Challenge post (feel free to copy and paste, substituting your own information):

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sample Official "100 Challenge" post

GOAL: Cutting

COMMENT: I want to reduce my body fat to 8%.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    Monday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: chest & triceps (PM)
    Tuesday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM)
    Wednesday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: back & biceps (PM)
    Thursday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM)
    Friday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: delts & traps (PM)
    Saturday Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM); Weight training: legs (PM)
    Sunday: Stationary bike, 45 mins (aerobic, fasted) (AM)

MEAL SCHEDULE
    Six meals per day, one cheat meal per week.

STARTING STATS
    WEIGHT: 200 pounds
    BODY FAT: 9.8%
    ARMS: 16.75"
    CALVES: 16.5"
    CHEST: 42.75"
    FOREARMS: 13.5"
    HIPS: 38.75"
    THIGHS: 24"
    WAIST: 32.5"

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG (Note: Each entry should be completed the day after, or at the end of the same day after all meals/workouts are completed. Please be sure to keep a running total of your points, as shown below.)

APR 1: I did my cardio and ate all meals as scheduled.
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 2: My car broke down and I missed my back workout. I walked to Burger King for dinner and had an unscheduled cheat meal.
    -2 points [98 points]

APR 3: I missed my cardio today, but ate all meals as scheduled.
    -1 point [97 points]

APR 4:

APR 5: I missed yesterday's update, but I did my delts and traps workout yesterday, and ate all meals as scheduled (including my scheduled cheat meal). Today I did my cardio, ate all meals as scheduled and did my leg workout.
    -1 point [96 POINTS]

You get the idea.....

2. jasonross

jasonross Active Member

i'm in. with a primary goal of scoring better than i did in march. secondary goals to follow...

3. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

I'll be in on this one. Doing O.K. in March but will strive to do better in April.:D

During the March Challenge I lost 11 pounds and started to develop some better habits. I plan to continue in that direction.

GOAL: Work on getting the weight off and improve muscle tone and mass

COMMENT: I need to get my weight off and just get in better shape in general. Been dealing with serious family health issues for over a year and it has taken it's toll.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE

I will work out a minimum of 4 times a week. Due to being "On Call" and getting called out at all times, I will have to get the days in as time schedule allows.

MEAL SCHEDULE
    Five to Six meals per day, one cheat meal per week.

Finally got a Myotape. Wish I had it prior to the March Challenge but here is the ugly truth!!

STARTING STATS (all measurements at relaxed state prior to a workout)
    WEIGHT: 282 lbs. (still a long ways to go, but started at 293)
    BODY FAT: Way too much to worry about measuring right yet
    ARMS: 14.25
    CALVES: L = 17 R = 16 ( Due to a leg injury years ago)
    CHEST: 49
    FOREARMS: 12.25
    HIPS: 45
    THIGHS: 26
    WAIST: 52 (Years of beer drinking)

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

4-1 No workout today. Got all measurements and posted! Good nutrition today! 100 points!

4-2 Good workout this morning and good nutrition!! 100 points!

4-3 Got a good workout in this morning. Cheat meal but didn't go wild. Grilled fish tacos and grilled veggies. A little rice. Rest of the days nutrition was good to go!! 100 points :tu:

4-4 Good workout. Nutrition good but had some cake at my mothers 76th B'Day Party -1 point = = 99 points.

4-5 No workout (planned) and good nutrition. 99 points

4-6 Good workout this morning and spot on nutrition today - - 99 points
    No workout planned for tomorrow. Have to be up at 0200 hours and drive to PHX for meetings!! Hope to keep the nutrition on track.

4-7 No workout (Planned)Nutrition OK but not great!! -1 point. 98 points.

4-8 Good workout this morning and fine nutrition. 98 points

4-9 Planned day off & "Cheat meal". Didn't get crazy. Rest of the day was good. 98 points.

4-10 Good workout & good nutrition and then forgot to get on & update!:mad::nono: -1 point! 97 points!

4-11 Good workout and good nutrition today!! 97 points!

4-12 Good workout this morning but nutrition was a bit off! Had to ride around with my boss all day. Didn't over eat or eat any junk but was not on track. -1 point 96 points!!

4-13 No workout this morning (planned). Good nutrition. Worked my butt off at the house taking all the security bars so we could have the windows replaced tomorrow! 96 points!:claplow:

4-14 Good workout this morning. Nutrition on last meal SUCKED!! -1 point 95 points.

4-15 No workout (planned). Nutrition o.k. 95 points

4-16 Good workout this morning and nutrition good. 95 points!:D

4-17 Off Day, no workout, had a cheat meal for lunch. 95 points. Back in action in the A.M.

4-18 Good workout this morning. Decent nutrition but not right on! -1 point 94 points!:rolleyes:

4-19 Good workout and nutrition stayed on track!! 94 points:claphigh:

4-20 Rest day, nutrition good. 94 points

4-23 Sick for a few days. Missed workouts etc call it -5 points. 89 points

4-26 Still hanging in there but caught a cold, lost 3 guys off the work crew, working tons of hours, missed some workouts but will continue to try to maintain. Will compute point loss after work.

#3 AzDesertRhino, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  4. Bob99

Bob99 Active Member

OK, I've been neglecting fitness for the past three months. Sure, I've got my excuses... I'm finishing up the biggest project of my career, I've been working 80 hours a week, blah blah blah, excuses excuses excuses. It's time to stop things in their tracks and hit reverse, since I was doing so well and I've definitely experienced some backsliding.

My short term goal is to have a perfect month of eating and fitness, in spite of the fact that I'm going to be doing some serious business travel. I'm going to define "perfect" as exercising every day, a high amount of cardio, and always making the healthiest choices. I'm going to be eating some meals out, that's just a fact, but I'm always going to order the healthiest thing on the menu. I need to reframe my thoughts so going to a restaurant isn't a free for all, it's just another way to fuel up my body with good, clean, efficient foods.

My medium term goal is fat loss. I need to drop a few of these extra pounds and get my waistline back in check. Realistically I should be around a 31" waist, which will mean losing approximately 4 inches. It's doable, but it won't be a walk in the park.

I want to increase the size of my chest, which I'm going to do via weightlifting. I'm also going to make a commitment to doing 100 pushups a day. Not in a row, of course, since that would kill me. But realistically it will be 5 sets of 20 reps, which is about my pushup maximum right now. Perhaps as the month goes on I'll be able to bring that down to 4x25.

My legs are the next issue. When I overeat (e.g. last three months) my legs tend to balloon to ungodly proportions. I really need to slim these babies down, for purposes of both fitness and fashion. I find that when my legs are gigantic, pants look horrible and my entire body looks out of whack. Slimming down the legs is key to becoming more stylish, which is also a goal of mine. The more I've been reading and learning about fashion, the more apparent it becomes that a great body is key to great fits on your clothes. If you're well proportioned, a lot of things can be pulled off effortlessly. If you've got some thunder thighs and a chest that's too small, you can only ever look so good. Step 1 = Great body. Step 2 = $400 jeans. (Step 2 is optional.)

This will be a fitness adventure. I'm just coming off a cold, but it's nearly finished with. I've done this in the past, and I've been very successful, so I just need to harness that motivation and willpower to make it happen.

Starting Stats
    Weight: 182
    Waist: 35
    Chest: 38.5
    Hips: 39.25
    Legs: Left 24 Right 23.5
    Bicep 13.5
    Calf: 16
    Forearm: 11

APR 1: Chest and Triceps at the gym. 20 minutes elliptical. 100 push-ups. No junk food, no diet soda. Unfortunate caffeine withdraw headache. But otherwise, perfecto!
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 2: Back and Biceps at the gym. 1.5 hours walking. 100 push-ups. No junk food, no diet soda. Caffeine headaches have subsided.
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 3: Legs at the gym. 20 mins cardio. 100 push-ups. No junk food, had to eat one meal out but it was a healthy chicken caesar salad with light dressing. I'm going to stop writing "no diet soda" since I'm off it completely. Also no more caffeine problems, glad to have kicked that.
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 4: Shoulders at the gym. 14 mins 45/30 HIIT. 100 push-ups. No junk food.
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 5: Chest and Triceps at the gym. 14 mins 45/30 HIIT. 100 push-ups. No junk food.
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 6: No gym visit today. 30 mins LISS. 100 push-ups. No junk food.
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 7: Back and Biceps at the gym. 20 mins elliptical. 100 push-ups. No junk food. Also walked up and down a large hill for about an hour while talking on the phone. Better than just sitting around and chatting!
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 8: Legs at the gym. 20 mins elliptical. 100 push-ups. No junk food.
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 9: No gym today. 40 mins LISS. 100+ push-ups. No junk food. I can already feel that the push-ups are helping with chest development. Maybe it's psychosomatic, but it really feels like it's working!
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 10: No gym today. 60 mins LISS. 100+ push-ups. No junk food, but I ate a few extra bowls of cereal when I was pushing to try and finish a big project. I did some extra cardio to cover it, and I didn't otherwise overeat, but it was off my program nonetheless. I'm off to Los Angeles for the next six days, returning late on the 16th. The hotel has a gym of some sort, so I'm going to keep fitness alive and also really watch my eating while there.
    -1 point [99 points]

APR 11: Eating did not quite go as planned, so -2 points for that. The gym at this hotel (the Hollywood Roosevelt) is great and open 24 hours, so I exercised my chest and triceps, and did 30 mins cardio to partially offset some of the bad food (burger at IN-N-OUT, a California classic, and an Italian meal with dessert.) I'm working all day every day for the rest of the week, so the indulgences should stop.
    -2 points [97 points]

APR 12: -2 points for eating. Damn you LA! Hit the gym and biked for 45 minutes.
    -2 points [95 points]

APR 24: This month has been an eating disaster. I'm now back on track, and will use the remaining days as a lead-in into my May challenge, which will be better!
    -0 points [0 points]

#4 Bob99, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  5. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

I'm in. This half-assed bull crap stops today. I'm 10 pounds of fat loss to where I'd like to be. I'll update with my program later today.

GOAL: Cutting

COMMENT: I want to reduce my body fat.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    Monday: Chest & Biceps
    Tuesday: Legs & Abs
    Wednesday: Rest Day
    Thursday: Back & Triceps
    Friday: Bike Ride (or indoor Cardio if weather still sucks)
    Saturday Shoulders & Abs
    Sunday: Rest Day

MEAL SCHEDULE
    Six meals per day, no cheat meals, no alcohol. 2000 calories a day as a starting point.

STARTING STATS
    All measurements are flexed (no pump) except for waist…the gut is all hangin’ out there!

WEIGHT: 183 pounds
    BODY FAT: 19.7% (based on BodyShop measurements)
    ARMS: 13.5"
    CALVES: 15.0"
    CHEST: 39.0"
    FOREARMS: 11.0"
    HIPS: 35.0"
    THIGHS: 23"
    WAIST: 35.0"

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG

APR 1: Got my meals in, switched Shoulder workout to Friday because of weather.
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 2: Got in my first bike ride of the season (ouch). All meals in. Bonus 8 hrs sleep last two nights!
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 3: About to get my last meal in. Rest Day. So good to go!
    -0 point [100 points]

APR 4: Chest and Bicep workout completed...although I felt weak and it showed on the bench press. :mad: I got 6 meals in, but they were not what I had planned. -2 for two bad meals.
    -2 points [98 points]

APR 5: Good Nutrition and good Leg and Ab workout.
    -0 point [98 points]

APR 6: Good Nutrition, no planned workout.
    -0 point [98 points]

APR 7: Good Nutrition, unplanned bike ride!, good back and Tricep workout
    -0 point [98 points]

APR 8: Good Nutrition, bike ride was yesterday. Building trail in the a.m. Sat may skip shoulder workout.
    -0 point [98 points]

APR 9: Good Nutrition except for one meal (-1); trail building and shoulder workout good.
    -1 point [97 points]

APR 10: Good Nutrition; no workout. Went for bike ride with son, and scoped out the mtn bike trail conditions. (snow melt)
    -0 point [97 points]

APR 11: Good Nutrition, Good chest and bicep workout, extra group mtn bike ride tonight. Slept WELL!
    -0 point [97 points]

APR 12: extra meal not on plan (lasagna and bread stick - ugh), good leg workout.
    -1 point [96 points]

APR 13: nutrition good, no workout - rest day (needed it too)
    -0 point [96 points]

APR 14: nutrition good. AWESOME back workout...plus triceps.
    -0 point [96 points]

APR 15: nutrition good, but ate to much last meal. (-1) Awesome bike ride. no other planned workout.
    -1 point [95 points]

APR 16: terrible food intake (-2) Good shoulder workout.
    -2 points [93 points]

APR 17: better diet, but still not per plan (-1) no workout per plan
    -1 point [92 points]

APR 18: nutrition good. Workout killer...
    -0 point [92 points]

APR 19: nutrition good. Postponed leg workout until tonight. Back and leg was hurting.
    -0 point [92 points]

APR 20: nutrition good. Made up leg workout from Tuesday. Back real sore, going to postpone back workout tonight a day or two.
    -0 point [92 points]

APR 21: nutrition bad 1 meal. (-1 point). Did back and tricep workout - mistake, backs hurts worse now. Taking next week off to heal up. That'll be -4 points in missed workouts.
    -5 points. [87 points]

APR 24: Crap I forgot my updates over the weekend. Diet was good Saturday, horrible Sunday (-3). Didn't do shoulder workout - planned - my back is killing me. This is my week of from weight but I still want to eat clean. I did get in a great 25 mile mountain bike ride though. I was beat at the end.
    -3 points [84 points]

APR 25: nothing much to report. nutrition good.
    [84 points]

APR 26: nothing much to report. nutrition good.
    [84 points]

APR 27: back is finally feeling a little better. That and the weather has kept me off my bike. [-1 point] Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, I'll get out then. Nutrition is still good. My morning weight was the lowest it's been in 3 years.
    [83 points]

APR 28: nutrition good yesterday. Today is finally a nice day here in WI, I'm getting out for a ride tonight.
    [83 points]

APR 29: (-1 point for cheat meal at lunch yesterday - damn it was good.) good bike ride last night. Looking forward to lifting again next week.
    [82 points]

#5 Arlen, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  6. MrsGoldsen

MrsGoldsen Active Member

April

I'm in!:tucool:

7. abovetheclouds

Lets give this a try

I am in. Been away from regular exercise for too long - too much alcohol, processed foods, no exercise. Time to turn this ship around.

GOAL: Bulk 1: Attend gym everyday - weights and cardio(miss weights one day/wk) 2: eat clean everyday - adequate protein, carbs, fats - will figure this out along the way. 3: stay away from processed foods 4: Have fun

COMMENT: Vegetarian

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
    Monday:
    Tuesday:
    Wednesday:
    Thursday:
    Friday:
    Saturday
    Sunday:

MEAL SCHEDULE

STARTING STATS

WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

END STATS
    WEIGHT:
    BODY FAT:
    ARMS:
    CALVES:
    CHEST:
    FOREARMS:
    HIPS:
    THIGHS:
    WAIST:

DAILY LOG

APR 1:
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 2:
    -0 points [100 points]

APR 3:
    -0 point [100 points]

APR 4:
    -0 point [100 points]

APR 5:
    -0 point [100 points]

8. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CHALLENGE HAS BEGUN. NO MORE ENTRIES ALLOWED FOR THIS MONTH'S CHALLENGE!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. MrsGoldsen

MrsGoldsen Active Member

April 11

April 28: It's been up and down a few times, but ultimately I'm ending April right where I started. As opposed to having a formal gain, I guess that's success. However, next month, the goal is to end at 120, from 125, which has been back and forth between 125 and 129 a few times.

April 16: What a crazy week! Up a few pounds, but Persian festivities abound. Anticipate it will come off with return to normal life.

April 8: WOW! Two insanely long days, filled with one stressful situation after another. However, I managed to eat well, and be active, and today in particular I got a lot of activity in. Off to San Francisco for a much needed getaway weekend with my man. Goal is to have calories in at Boudin=calories burned walking up and down 75 degree hills.

April 6: Light on food-haven't been particularly hungry, and historically I have done well just listening to my body, especially when I follow the guidelines we created for our treat craving son: if you're hungry, fine. Have ALL the carrots or pears or pineapple or whatever else like that I have on hand that you want. However, *hungry* people eat carrots; if you want a bowl of Sugar Sh*t, have some carrots instead. It pretty quickly divides the times where one is hungry vs. when you're grazing or eating for other reasons.

Anyway, yesterday I didn't post. No formal exercise, but the local Borders is closing, and I honestly did carry 2 very full baskets around the store for about 45 minutes. LOTS of books, and at 50-70% off......besides, pretty soon those gift cards would have been useless. Was also pretty good on the food yesterday, though like today, rather light.

Well, as for today: light on food, but not anorexic going to send my body into refusing to let go of any calorie it receives level. Rearranged a few rooms. So, no FORMAL program of 3 sets of 15 reps, but this desk was in the kid's room, the file cabinet was in the guest bedroom, the desk that was in here is now in the formal exercise room so we'll have a better TV set up for when we're on the bike. An unintended side effect was that getting the desk that was in here through the door required the extra gazillionth of an inch that could only be obtained by taking the door off the hinges. So, I had to take two doors off, and while I was at it, I moved a few doors around, so they hang better and locks are on the rooms I want, and not on the ones I don't.

Anyway, going to go grab a light healthy snack and see what else needs doing around here.

NB:Vacuumed up enough fur behind the previous desk to make a litter of kittens.

April 4: Good on food, light weeding outside.

April 3: Good on food, pulled lots of weeds in the front yard, but I'm sorry to say there are LOTS more where those came from.

April 2: Pretty good day, in terms of food. No formal exercise.

April 1: Just ate 4 large pizzas and been sitting on my butt all day. April Fools! So far so good, but it's only day one. Ideally I'd like to get some yard work done, but it's already starting to get pretty hot here! Off to hit the exercise bike.

#9 MrsGoldsen, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.