1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone Morphed

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by boomboom, Apr 22, 2005.

1. boomboom

boomboom Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I just finished a high-quality morph of John Stone. I'm designing an ad for the forums to go on the homepage of **************.net, SickOfBeingSkinny.net, and MuscleTank.net before users log in.

First, here's the morph - it turned out pretty nicely. There's only two pics in the morph:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's the morph:

http://www.**************.net/images/JohnStone2.gif

And finally, below is the ad:

Attached Files:

#1 boomboom, Apr 22, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  2. pinoy_dude

pinoy_dude Well-Known Member

am blown away with it, man!!! :eek: :eek:
    awesome work!!! :claplow: :claplow:

3. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

That's well cool!

How do you do that? What program do you use? I'd like to do that with my progress pics!!!

4. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

that morph pic is too cool. Watching john change from sad to grinning is too class :lol:

5. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I love it, man! Great work as always. :tu:

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

For all the work I've done with computers over the years, even the simplest of graphics work (which is art any way you slice it, if'n you ask me...) will always impress me. Very cool.

-R

7. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Thats boss. :)

8. AWD_ENVY

AWD_ENVY Well-Known Member

Would you mind saying what you did that with, so I might be able to do the same for my pics ?

9. jlforbess

jlforbess Well-Known Member

That looks great!

10. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Dude that's f*cking awesome graphic artistry! Very nice.

It looks like the morph morphs more smoothly than the ad-I'd
    make the ad morph exactly like the original morph. Damn that
    word starts to sound strange if you say it enough.

#10 Nico, Apr 22, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  11. escher

escher Well-Known Member

Cant imagine a smoother animation than that! Very nicely done.. going to share how you did it? :D

12. never2old

never2old Well-Known Member

Awesome work, inspiring images! Thanks boomboom and John!

13. Stecman

Stecman Well-Known Member

I also like all the work that John has put in to get his necklace to appear.

I'm around 14% bf, and if im just in the right light you can barely see my necklace. Hopefully I'll be able to develop my necklace enough (and lose enough body fat) so i can strut around on the beach with my necklace. ;)

But seriously, that is some amazing work. Very impressive. I love the effect of his smile getting bigger towards the end too!

Oh, and just out of curiosity, how many pics did you use between the two main ones for the morph?

14. ucbgsr

ucbgsr Well-Known Member

I love the smile transition as well :tu:

15. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

One of the best features of that morph is very symbolic. Look at his smile. He is sad and gloomy in the first one and little by little he smiles. By the time hes jacked, those pearly whites are out and shining. hmmm......

16. mason

mason Well-Known Member

Nice work :)

17. boomboom

boomboom Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Stecman - I only used two pictures for the entire morph (everything else is a combo of the two!) ROTFL on the necklace thing -I toyed with photoshopping it out, but decided to leave it in anyways. I'm toying with the idea of letting users morph their progress pics online, similar to the cropping and the autolighting. The only difference is, it'll take some serious work.

Nico - the blue ad underneath the full morph is only 43K, compared to 450K for the full morph. That is why it's "choppy" - wanted to make it as small as possible since John may use the ad on various sites... which reminds me, I found out about JSF by one of these ads that had a bunch of john's progress pics flash on the screen over each other - does anyone know where this was? (Don't remember how I got here or found this place - the site that had the ad suddenly became unimportant the more i read on JSF)

AWD_ENVY - I used Photoshop for preparing the images, FantaMorph to handle the morphing, Debabelizer to alter the resulting morph and convert/compress to GIF.

Escher - There's a few tricks though to making it look good. Most important is the alignment of the two images. Elements in it must be the same size (especially face, chest, stomach) - I use reference points for this and resize in Photoshop at 75% transparency. I also adjust the color balance and levels of the two images so that the color transition is minimal and smooth.

Background is pretty important - make them match by magic wand selecting background (or magnetic selecting background), inverting, save selection, switch to saved selection channel, gausian blur channel by two or three pixels, switch back to RGB channel, feather selection by 2 pixels, add saved channel selection to this current feathered selection, invert selection, and delete! Use the "after" picture's background color to fill the deleted are of the before picture. Do the same on the "after" picture to get a more even background color.

Also important is sudden differences. Look at the original "before" pic - John's left arm is down by his side. But in the morph the arm is in the same position as the after pic. Just photoshop as many body parts as possible to align with the after pic. If you don't, the morph will show "stretches" and "fadeouts" and won't look authentic (look at the right edge of the right arm during the morph to see a slight fadeout stretch) If I had more time, I would have attempted to align the right arm also before morphing.

Finally, use control points like they are going out of style, but use them in a way that tells a story. The "smile" is a great example: I deliberately moved the control points so they would show the gradual smile throughout the morph - it's cool you guys picked up on that.

Too many control points can cause "creasing" - artifacts that appear when control points overlap and fight for the attention of the morph algorithm. They appear as "dashed lines". Just adjust the control points so that one pair doesn't overlap another pair during the transition. I have found that control points work best when they point the user to areas of interest and structure. Outline certain areas of the body that show movement (arms), but line certain areas of the body that show definition (eyes, nose, collar bone, etc)

Below is a screenshot of my control points.

I am looking forward to doing a killer morph of my brother's transformation, hopefully in 14 to 16 months... :confused:

Attached Files:

#17 boomboom, Apr 23, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  18. grutsch

grutsch Well-Known Member

This is the coolest thing I have ever seen... or something... :claphigh: :claplow: :eek: :drool: :spaz:

19. ekomomai

ekomomai Well-Known Member

look great boomboom, looks even greater on the site!!!
    keep well
    ~yossel

20. jgmx

jgmx Well-Known Member

thats super awesome!!!

great work...

I had that program, downloaded it for free but forgot where at... after a few days it was too complicated and I deleted it....

some examples that it had were of George W. Bush and a monkey morphing.... :D