1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John Stone Fitness Routine

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Stranger, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

Hey guys, I'm another poster just in need of some help on my fat loss routine :). I would really appreciate some help on things I must approve, especially on the diet part, because I'm not entirely sure it's prepared enough!

My Current "Specs":
    Height: 5'3
    Weight: 160
    Abs: 39 mm
    Chest: 37.5 mm
    Thighs: 23.2 mm
    Body Fat: 26.47%

Yeah I know, I'm a short fat boy.. Well, that's the whole reason I want to change my appearance! I don't want to be fat anymore, it's extremely unhealthy and it doesn't look good either (I have a belly)...

I am currently following the "John Stone Routine," which is posted below:

Monday: Biceps & Back - HIIT 20 Minutes on Stationary Bike
    Tuesday: Abs - HIIT 20 Minutes on Stationary Bike
    Wednesday: HIIT 20 Minutes on Stationary Bike
    Thursday: Abs / Biceps HIIT 20 Minutes on Stationary Bike
    Friday: HIIT 20 Minutes on Stationary Bike
    Saturday: Upper Body and Triceps - HIIT 20 Minutes on Stationary Bike
    Sunday: Abs - HIIT 20 Minutes on Stationary Bike

My MHR is 198 (Using the Miller Formula, http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/maxhr.htm)

I do a steady 168-170 HR for moderate speed, and when the high intensity kicks in, I do 180 HR.

Next is my diet plan:
    7 AM - 2 Whole Eggs Boiled

11 AM - 6" Chicken sandwich with lettuce, pickles, jalepenos, wheat bread

2 PM - Slimfast Protein Shake

4/5 PM (Depending on when I get home) - 6" or 12" Tuna or Chicken sandwich with lettuce, pickles, jalepenas, green peppers, onions, etc. Wheat bread

7/8 PM - 6" Another Tuna or Chicken sandwich depending on what happens

9-10 PM - Fruit, usually grapes, oranges, or apples

My current goal is to go from 26% Body Fat to about 13% Body Fat in about 12 weeks. I am trying to reach a reasonable goal, because I don't think I have the talent to get to 8% Body Fat in 12 weeks like John Stone did! The amount of time I have is around 12 weeks, mainly because I want to be able to gain muscle and finish off the rest of the fat during the summer, and not do the initial fat loss. Please reply back if you have any advice or comments. Thanks!

#1 Stranger, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

3. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

Thanks for the reply!

However, it seems to me that my diet seemed proper. Maybe I should add the size of the sandwich, it's 6 inches. Does that make a difference? :)

4. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

That must be a very old approach of John's, because with me being his most recent trainer/nutritionist I know he follows nothing like that outline any longer.

~SC~

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

I will comment on your breakfast, and leave the rest for the more experienced folks.

From your first post:

Next is my diet plan:
    7 AM - 2 Whole Eggs Boiled

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That is not nearly enough. Most people tend to eat egg whites + oatmeal. Personally I eat Kashi GoLean cereal + egg beaters + 1/2 grapefruit.

Do a search on the forums for breakfast and you will get many ideas.

Cheers

-> Pro

6. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

Yes, it's true, this was his first method of fat loss from January 2003 to June 2003. I initially used this method because I've been doing HIIT for a while, and it somewhat follows the routine I used to do prior to finding out about John Stone.
    Thanks dude, I totally forgot about breakfast. Will add more to it. Thanks!

7. dluc

dluc Active Member

Hi Stranger:) I'm glad you've decided to start making some changes. I wish I started when I was your age. Anyways, I agree with the posts above. Your nutrition could use a lot of work, and I'm not at all a fan of the training that you have planned. Take the time to read through the stickies on nutrition and cutting - they'll really help you out:nod:

Here are some general things I'll say about your diet:
    -It doesn't look like enough food. Not only is it not enough for your height and weight, it's not enough for your age!! You're a growing teenager - eat!
    -Try to eat every 2-4 hours.
    -Try to get some protein in every meal. This can come from chicken breasts, eggs/eggwhites, tuna, lean beef, fish, protein powders just to name a few.
    -Get a nice dose of complex carbs from sources like brown rice, oats, sweet potato/yams and so on.
    -Make sure you're getting your veggies. Broccoli and spinach are the two I use the most. Green beans are great too. Pile them on throughout the day with your meat.
    -Eat some fruit with breakfast. I would recommend grapefruit.
    -Don't forget the healthy fats. You can get these from almonds, natural peanut butter, flax oil, flax seed, fish oil, salmon, olive oil, avacado - again, I'm just naming a few.
    -Drink water! Gradually increase your water intake to at least 3L a day.
    -Remember that there is no need to implement ALL of these at once. Make it a gradual process if that's easier for you:)
    -Read the stickies, and make a meal plan that is realistic for you to follow. Post it and we can give you some feedback.

Now about your planned training:
    -I think there's way too much cardio.
    -You aren't weight training your lower body.
    -I would suggest doing a search on a 3-4 day full body routine. There are a bunch posted all over the forum. Find one that you can work with. Make sure you are doing the tried and true lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench presses, rows and so on.
    -Start off with cardio on your non-weight training days only. If you choose to stick with HIIT cardio, remember that it requires proper nutrition just like a weight training session does.
    -Post a routine that you've decided on in as much detail as possible and we'll have a look at it. List exercise names, sets and reps.

Hope that helps:gl:

8. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

Thanks a ton dluc! Tomorrow I am going to the store to buy more food, so I'll post my new diet when I get home. I'm also going to change my whole workout routine to be able to get it right. Once again, thanks! :)
    Also, I do agree with me doing too much cardio, but I always thought that if I put in more HIIT cardio, I would be able to loose fat faster. That is, of course, with a proper diet! If there is something wrong with the HIIT program I've chosen, please let me know

9. dluc

dluc Active Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with HIIT, I just think doing it 7 days a week is overkill. If I could give you a piece of advice, it would be to prioritize progressive weight training over cardio. That doesn't mean don't do cardio, but basically, if I had to choose between skipping cardio or skipping weights, I'd skip cardio. There are posts all over the boards that can help explain why;)

10. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I agree with others. :)

At this point you are just starting out. I feel the best route for you would be a fairly simple but clean diet that consists of plenty of protein, plenty of complex carbs, plenty of healthy fats, and plenty of fruits and veggies. I don't even think you need to count calories and grams, but it's up to you. I think you can feel free to have cheat meals a couple of times a week as well if that helps you stay on track the rest of the week. Actually, I would suggest you DO have cheat meals once in a while.

Regarding training, again I would rather you keep it simple. I would lose the complicated split ideas and opt for either a full-body routine three days per week, or an upper/lower split four days a week. Something like legs and lower back and abs on Mondays and Thursdays, and upper back, chest, shoulders and arms on Tuesdays and Fridays. Keep the amount of sets limited, don't spend longer than an hour in the gym, but lift heavy and intense.

You can keep cardio to a minimum. I'd go for just a couple (MAYBE three) short (15-20 minutes tops) HIIT sessions on your non-weightlifting days, or if you have to combine cardio and weights I would go for about 20-40 minutes of low-intensity cardio after the weights. Actually, I would really prefer you do zero cardio and just play sports. :)

Now is an important time for you. You need to build your foundation. Don't get too wrapped up in advanced techniques and complicated diet plans. Get in the gym and train hard with a handful of basic, compound exercises. You should be doing things like squats, deadlifts, rows, bench press, dips, pullups, etc. It's fine to throw in some curls and flyes here and there, but don't make those types of exercises the bulk of your routine. The most important exercises for you right now, in my opinion, will be the ones I listed above.

11. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Shouldn't that be mastover? :confused:

12. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Yes, in my never-ending quest to expand my knowledge and try new things, I'm taking an entirely new approach to this cut, and Mastover is assisting me.

Also, due to popular demand, I wanted to bring my food logs back. I was not allowed to do that while on any of SC's programs.

And, no--I never, ever ate anything even slightly resembling the diet that the thread starter posted. I think he's only talking about a very old cardio/weight routine that I did back in 2003.