1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

John, about that shoulder injury...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Glamdring, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Glamdring

Glamdring Well-Known Member

I injured my shoulder pretty badly playing basketball about a year ago. It still bothers me to this day, much as you described yours hurting in today's news.

I'm not sure just how current your exercise page is, but man you might want to consider dropping any sort of fly movement. I do still get a little bit of pain when doing DB bench, DB incline, dips, etc. but nothing like I do when doing flies.

I just wanted to make that suggestion in case you are still doing those movements.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hey Glamdring,

I should probably update that page, as I no longer do isolation exercises like flyes. I have also stopped doing dips (very heavy weighted dips is how I injured my shoulder in the first place.) I'm just now coming back from a 3-month layoff from upper body workouts due to the injury. Even though there was a little pain yesterday, it feels good this morning. I'm just going to keep doing my rotator cuff strengthening exercises and monitor the shoulder very closely as I return to my normal workouts.

3. Glamdring

Glamdring Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it. I used to do muscles more than one time per week, but now that I've moved to doing each body part only once I don't really have any probs. It's interesting that I have more problems with the pain on chest day than I do on shoulder day, but compared to how things used to be I have no complaints.

What exercises are you doing to strengthen your rotator anyway? I'm just doing a couple that a trainer at the fitness center taught me and could always use a few more to mix it up a little.

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

5. rboit

rboit Village Idiot

I agree with this. I hurt my shoulder doing flyes too and still have some some problems though it's much better now that I've quit doing flyes and and lateral raises.

6. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

On the contrary, I hurt my shoulder a few years back while snowboarding and bench press was the exercise that bothered me. Foir the longest time all I could do for chest and delts were flyes and lateral raises. If you know a physical therapist, I'd discuss this with them. Shoulder injuries can go from bad to worse in a short amount of time.