1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

jko vs Marcman vs Nico

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Nico, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Marcman

Marcman Well-Known Member

still with us nico? hows it goin?

2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Had major issues last week. Here is a summary for anyone interested. If you own a PC you may experience this at some point if you haven't already. As for my fitness, I'm doing OK but don't think I've cut more than a pound of fat this month. I'll take my PIC on 11/1 to end the contest, then I'm going to focus on some other aspects of my life besides working out because I'm just too busy. I'll start up again on 1/1, maybe with a cutting contest going to 4/15(tax day). I'm tired of having this gut so I'm going to be scaling back the weight training significantly to focus on cardio, yoga, and sports.
    -----------------------------------------
    On Saturday, May 16th, I felt that my world had come to an end. I had decided to run the Windows Service Pack 2.0 upgrade on my XP home edition. After installing it and then running Norton, I rebooted. This is when all hell broke loose. When attempting to start, the C:/WINNT/WIN32/SYSTEM/CONFIG file was corrupt or missing and it recommended manually attempting to recover the file off the original disk, which did not work. The bitch crashed and I could not access windows at all. By the way, Gateway help center people suck my ass and I encourage anyone reading this to never purchase anything from this pile of shit company. Anyways, I thought I had lost everything which would include about 30 GB of innumerous and undescribably valuable (to me) files. In fact the Gateway asshole predicted it would cost me $20,000 if I wanted someone to extract the data from my hard drive without being able to access the operating system. This did not encourage me at the time, but I assumed that he was an idiot so I held on to a shrivel of hope. The fact all the reps kept telling me how it's smart to back up my data didn't ease the pain in any way.

As it turns out I took the machine it to this place in Oakland where they copied my data, then reinstalled Windows XP after getting rid of one tiny virus. Apparently Service Pack 2.0 is fucking up a lot of people's shit. They were really confident that they could repair windows, which they couldn't. They were 100% sure that they could at least copy my data, which they were wrong about. They told me that the only reason they were able to save it was because I don't use a password with my login. So they were idiots too but they got lucky because I'm too lazy to have a password.

The lesson of all this for me is to buy an external hard drive and have backups, and also backup my really important shit on zip disks which I already have plenty of but they were all blank because I was in the process of 'organizing' everything on my hard drive at the time with the plan of copying it all. Take nothing for granted. You are never secure. And eff Bill Gates.

3. Marcman

Nico:

couple of things i can say here, but it probably doesnt matter. im glad you got your files back, but there are some questionable things about what you said that you might want to look into

i've seen people that only install SP2, and come to a copy of windows that will not boot, not normally, not safemode. no error, just wont boot. a clean reinstall of windows is probably the easiest way around this

second, even if you did have a virus, there is absolutely no reason that they could not recover your files. i assume they thought they couldnt if you had a password because they were trying to boot into your OS to backup that stuff? First, there is an administrator account which is passwordless by default, although i guess gateway might have disabled this

but more oviously, they could have put your hard drive into another computer and taken the files that you wanted off of it, put a clean copy of windows on it and put your files back on.

seems to me they either didnt have a clue what they were doing or took advantage of you. same thing just happened to my room mate recently.

they also could have pulled your hard drive and did a virus scan from another computer. i dont really think that the virus was causing your computer to not work, rather sp2.

anyways, sorry it had to happen and that you are so stressed. let me know if you have any questions about this stuff. and im just curious, if you dont mind saying, how much did they charge you to recover your data?

hope all is well

4. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Marcman-Thanks for your response. I never knew you were that into Windows. The service was actually pretty cheap. They charged me 3 hours of labor @ $65/hour so basically $200.

There was an extreme language barrier since I don't speak Chinese but what I gathered is that they used one of their hard drives in my machine and used some other software from another machine to copy the files from my hard drive to theirs-does this make sense? i.e. Is that possible?

They claimed that if I had partitioned my hard drive and kept my data on a drive other than C:/ then they would've been able to save it regardless of whether I use a password. And yes Gateway for some reason has the admin user setup so you have the option of a password. Luckily I've always been wary of this so I just left it blank. Had they told me they couldn't have saved it I would've probably posted on this board for help, but I went to them right when it happened because I was hoping they would be able to fix it quickly and I could get to the task of reinstalling all of my programs.

I don't have the ability to cleanly reinstall windows without deleting everything. What's funny is the Gateway help a@#holes told me to just delete my files because there was really no hope of saving them. I think my files are worth about 3 times as much as the computer so there was no way I was going to just delete them without trying several other options.

5. Marcman

ya, my summer job would have me doing stuff like that, but we charged $80-$100/hour :D i guess if they put their hard drive in your machine they could have used any kind of software to recover files - its important to know that as long as you dont have a mechanical problem on your hard drive, you can recover any/all of the files off of it by putting it into another computer, or i guess in your case, putting another hard drive into your computer to recover them..

where you keep the data or if it was partioned has nothing to do with the ability to recover data. nor does a password in windows - unless there is some kind of crazy encryption or something (and ive never encountered this) all of your files are free for the taking as long as you boot to a different copy of windows. I would say that all they REALLY had to do was reinstall windows/your applications, and move some of your files around (from old my documents to new my documents) for example

like i said, this exact same thing happened to my room mate (SP2 installation caused her windows to not boot normally or to safe mode with no error, just a reboot)

all we did was reinstalled windows into a new directory, and moved all of her personal files over and reinstalled some stuff. glad you didnt get too screwed money wise tho

Sure you do! unless the entire partion got corrupted, XP will give you the option to leave it intact during windows installation

oh well, the important thing is that everything is recovered and you have invested in some kind of backup device! speaking of which, i should probably back up my stuff one of these days :lol:

6. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I've had a few more mishaps with Windows since last week that has led me to repair it with the original disk and revert back to pre-Service Pack 1.0. It takes much longer to start up now for some reason, but I've had no crashes and software seems to install easier.

I feel ready for my 'after' photos but my photographer (the wife) is out of town until Monday and I'll be gone all weekend anyway, plus I can't find the cord that attaches the camera to the computer. Do you know if those cords are uniform in any way or is each manufacturer using a different connection to the camera? (The connection to the computer is USB)

7. Marcman

i dont really think digicams use too many different kinds of usb cables, so you should be able to pick up a generic one. im down to 196 but still dont really feel like taking pics, plus i need to shave my chest ;) ill try and do them soon too

and to speed up windows, get a program called bootviis and run it in optimize mode

8. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Maybe we should kill this thread

Do you think you're pics will show any improvement? Do you think we should kill this thread?

Originally the challenge was four of us but it's really been just you and me. If you want to we could just forget about it-

It's getting cold up here in the bay area and I've not been 'cutting' or anything remotely like that for the last several weeks. When it's cold I like to eat and sleep. I probably won't be working out that much in the next 7 weeks with Thanksgiving, Ski Trips, Christmas, New Year's, etc.

So I figure I'll come into the new year at about 208 and then decide to make a real go at cutting for several months to see whether I can get my weight to 190 and bodyfat down to 10% (I think I'm around 13 right now)

9. Marcman

ya, i also dont think ill show any real progress. when i took my initial pics, i was in a much better state, weighed about 195. since then ive gone up to 205 or 210 and now im back down around 196, so i think ill be the same. i think im going to have to drop to at least 190 before i see any real improvement. Im still planning on taking pics just to document my progress, but im just really lazy having to shave my chest and actually borrow the camera to do the pics - hopefully soon. Oh well, twas fun while it lasted. Ill post my new pics here and in the college challenge me thinks