1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

jko vs Marcman vs Nico

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Nico, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Marcman

Marcman Well-Known Member

im holding off on the gym for a few days, maybe all of this week, while i give my shoulder some time to heal and recover myself. im still so exhausted from not getting enough sleep, waking up early, physical therapy 3x a week and too much gym. plus stupid computer job on top of that

and im leaving for school pretty soon too so it looks like august is slowly turning into july. im excited for september though...

*sigh*

2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Hope the shoulder gets better-I've been real careful with mine this year. I even bought some 2 and 3 pound dumbells to do rotator cuff work.

3. Marcman

i dont know what the story with my shoulder is - heading back to school tomorrow so ill be on the road for a while. i dont think august pics will be of any benefit either

happy birthday nico

4. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Thanks for the bday wishes. It's been busy so I haven't worked out much the last week either. Hopefully I'll be back on track monday.

5. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I've been working out pretty solidly throughout this challenge and I'm going to be spending the last three weeks cutting to see if I can get a little definition.

jk0-where you at?

marcman-how's the shoulder? Have you been in the gym in September?

6. Marcman

shoulder is the same. i need to start on some rotator cuff rehab and more knee rehab. doing an all around workout 3x week and 60 mins/800-900 cals burned cardio hopefully 5-6 times a week, trying to work off this excess weight. I was 205, 10lbs higher than my lowest weight of 195 and since i stopped working out for so long, although i didnt gain THAT much weight, i think i lost a lot of definition and muscle mass.

However, along with my super cardio, i've completely changed my eating habits. I feel like im eating way too much, but its all completely healthy, and im eating 5-6 times a day instead of twice so i think that should help a lot. We shall see.

7. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Well the contest is drawing to a close and it looks like it's just me and you. Do you feel like you made progress during the 90 days?

I feel like I've sort of plateaued on all my lifts-and I end up missing weight training 4 or 5 days in a row at some point every month so I haven't been able to really stick to a routine. I think out of 80 days so far I've put in 40 weight workouts and only about 15 cardio sessions. I need to probably keep the weight training the same and bump up the cardio to 50 sessions.

What do you do for your 60 minutes of cardio? I know you have knee problems, so I assume you either walk, row or use the elliptical.

8. Marcman

i think may and june were HUGE months for me, as i was lifting the most and at my lowest weight. However, july i only got 1 or 2 weeks of workouts in on account of my 21st bday and vacation, and August i was eating horribly and barely working out again.

Since getting back to school, with a few setbacks, im on a really good track and am excited - im preparing all of my own meals, the gym is a 2 minute walk away and free, and i DEFINITELY have the motivation. im seeing the doctor on monday to see if there is anything i can do about my shoulder. i dont think its from working out, although bad form on some shoulder/back exercises definitely didnt help, but i think its more from scoliosis among other problems. hopefully i wont need surgery! it doesnt hurt at all, just pops and whatnot so hopefully im cool.

my roommate just got a digital camera for his bday so if i really wanted to, i could take end of september pics to post, but i dont think they would be THAT different than the other ones i posted, maybe worse.

im going to still go pretty hard, cause while i can just barely see my abs if i suck in and flex pretty hard, as you can see in the pics, i still have a pretty big gut when not sucking in or flexing. i've ALWAYS had this gut and i hate it so im not going to stop until i get rid of it. My eating is the only thing that is holding me back at this point, as i eat really clean, but either too much, or i'll go on a bad drunk binge.

got down to 195 over the summer, back up to 205 at the beginning of school, now down to 202 with increases in most of my lifts over two weeks. Also trying a completely different workout routine - instead of isolating 2 or 3 muscle groups 3x a week, im doing a 3x full body workout, doing sets in the 8-12 range instead of 4-6. I think making gains at that range will be better than doing the smaller sets.

anyways, i think we should keep on doing what we are doing, maybe focus on cutting a little more. might be interesting to see where we both are in say a month if we can keep it up. sorry for the long post.

9. Marcman

and as far as cardio, i started out running 30mins at ~5.6mph and then doing 30 mins on the elliptical (15 mins higher instensity 15 mins a little lower)

i really hate running tho. its hard on my whole body and screws up my back im sure.

so the past few days i've been doing 40 mins high intensity elliptical (MHR around 155-165) the machine says i burn 16-17 calories a minute at this rate. After that i'll do 20-30mins lower intensity elliptical or incline walking. Do you think doing high intensity and then lower intensity for fat burning right after has a beneficial effect? I burn 800-1000 cals doing this depending on how long i go for. And i've been meaning to do it in the mornings before food, but ive been so tired ive been doing it late afternoon/evening time mostly, which i dont really like.

Nico: also, you any good at knowing when during the day you should eat and what kind of stuff? all i really know is right after weights to eat carbs and protein, and never mix protein and fat. what do you think? thanks

10. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I say we extend the contest to October 31-I need an extra month because i've been going on so many weekend trips i haven't kept my workout schedule too well not to mention eating like crap.

As far as your cardio, I think you're bound to lose fat if you're doing that much. But how do you have time to get your weight training in?

Eating protein and carbs-I would say from what I've read over the years the consensus is that the only time to eat high GI foods is in the morning, before a workout, or after a workout. I think the new fad diet will be GI based, where you gradually reduce your GI intake throughout the day. So the ice cream I ate at 11 p.m. was the worst thing possible.

I don't really believe in doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, just from experience. I know lots of people on these boards seem to have had success but I've read several explanations for why it actually is counterproductive if you're at all trying to build muscle.

I would eat something very small before the morning cardio-whenever I do it on an empty stomach I feel like I'm eating away at my muscle and my body is already in starvation mode but with the cardio it's like desert starvation marathon mode.

I'd rather take four months to get rid of 5 pounds of fat than to lose 10 pounds of mass which is half fat and half muscle. Then you've got to put the muscle back without adding more fat and the cycle is tough. I think the extremes of bulking and cutting just aren't for me.

That being said October will be a semi-cutting month where I focus on the following:

1. Get in at least 30 hours of cardio during the month, including riding my bike, running on the track, running in my neighborhood, and the gym cardio sessions.
    2. Eat as little sugar and bread as possible after 2 p.m.
    3. Get up earlier to do some of that running in the 'hood.

Like you, I hate running and i think it's bad for my back, but I'm trying to ease back into it because once you're in running shape it can be really enjoyable.

11. Marcman

i've been doin pretty well, except these last two days, ive really binged at the worst time, right before i go to bed. but its mostly clean food, except last night i had a peanut butter sandwich, and i know carbs + fat are baaaaaad but its so hard to avoid!!

ive been doing 40mins fatloss/cardio level elliptical and then 20-30mins of incline walking every day. i think im only going to do this 5x a week since it takes so much out of me waking up so early, plus getting the weight training in

3x a week, ill go BACK to the gym in the afternoon/night time to do my weights. its so close that it isnt a big deal.

sounds good to me - my friend has a digi cam so i can take mirror pics whenever. my temporary goal is to get down to 195 like i was over the summer so i can shave my chest and actually see some abs if i flex hard enough, like i did in those pics above. however, long term goal, and im freakin determined to do this, is to get rid of the spare tire. as much progress and im seeing in all parts of my body, i can still grab a good HUNK of fat all around my stomach. sucking in has become second nature because i hate it so much. im thinking around 190 i should start to be where id like to be

tuesday of this week i was at 199.5lbs, down from 202 the week before. wednesday night i ate like shit and thursday ended up waiting 17 hours before eating again, AND did super cardio right before i weighed myself - 197. hah

today i weighed myself after eating 1 meal and doing my weights and i was at 201. so i guess its still less than last week. tuesday is my real weigh in day though, so this is all just for fun.

OH and i saw a university doctor about my shoulder and he said my range of motion seemed great and all my ligaments and stuff were strong. the grinding and poping he said was some word that i forgot (cretions?) but basically its my scapula rubbing against my rib cage or something and its nothing to be worried about, so im pretty happy. granted im still kind of sketched out by it, but i think its doing a little better so im happy.

also doing a completely different 3x a week workout with my friend - not max OT style, but a little bit less weight and more reps, which i think is better for me. max ot really heavy weights and so many sets really takes its toll on you.

im all about extending the contest. i think my long term goal will probably be around the end of november if i can stay on the wagon and keep losing weight, but i'd be interested to keep comparing pics of us. glad you are still active :)

12. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I still weigh between 204-208 on any given day. I think since this contest started on July 1 I've probably added 4 pounds of muscle and lost about a pound of fat.

I would post October 1 pictures to go with 7/1 and 8/1 but I'm so pale now that it would be an unfair comparison to the pic's back when I had a tiny bit of skin color, plus the hair on my chest and back have really grown so it makes a white guy look a lot fatter.

As far as your shoulder, I would recommend doing the exercises that Jeremy Likness mentioned in a thread a few months back. Really light weights-like 2 or 3 pounds or 5 at the most. Do you do any of these exercises?:

behind the neck press
    upright rows
    behind the neck pulldowns

I find them to be the worst for my shoulder.

13. Marcman

behind the neck pulldowns definitely do some funky business with my shoulder. right now once a week ill do 2 sets of 3 different kinds of plate raises for my shoulders and upright rows, which i dont think bother me tooooo much. behind the neck press also made me feel kinda weird.

ive been doing exclusively dumbells for chest work so next week we are going to start alternating between the bench and dumbells for chest work, since we're not seeing any gains pretty much doing dumbell bench work.

im pretty pasty year round so it makes no matter to me, but i would definitely rather do end of october pics to see if i can do some hardcore cutting, cause right now i'll look exactly the same as my last pics or maybe a little less lean which i dont really want pics of.

14. Marcman

nico: still with me? how ya doin? last weigh in for me was 197.5. need to start keeping track of weight on all my exercises, but im kind of enjoying higher rep sets with less weight rather than max-ot style lots of weight with fewer reps. i think gains will be more important this way, although they'll definitely come slower

my triceps are really taking some shape which is exciting. chest and traps definitely still lacking and i still got the roundness of the lovehandles all the way around the spare tire but its ever so slowly shrinking :D

15. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I'm still with you, but for some reason my metabolism is acting really slow. I guess I need to focus more on my diet, but it seems like even though I've been getting in decent amounts of cardio my gut continues to stay the same size or actually grow. My ass is definitely growing too, so that may be contributing to shorts and pants fitting tighter. Can't really tell if it's muscle or fat on my effing fat ass.

I still weigh around 205. I'd really like to cut out 5 pounds of fat in the next three weeks. I'm trying to truly cut for the first time starting.........................right now.

16. Marcman

ya, my gut is definitely persistant as well - im still planning on taking pics at the end of october to compare with our last serious (beginning of august?)

i think ive put on muscle in my arms, lost tons of muscle in my legs (barely working them right now) and stayed the same in chest and tummy

argh. we'll see how i weigh in this week. weekend wasnt so bad besides friday night's pizza binge. bought $100 worth of GOOD food so we'll see how long that lasts. hah. start posting more often! we need to stay motivated! this is going to be a GOOD WEEK!

that, and i dont have class a week from monday or tuesday! woo

17. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

This'll be a busy week for me because it's the last tax deadline of the year for individuals (10/15).

I may get to workout late tonight-not sure.

18. Marcman

i decided to sleep in today due to not being able to sleep very well recently, so im planning on doing my cardio around 2pm and getting my workout in around 4:30. i know this isnt ideal but i figure once is alright. tomorrow i weigh in ahhhhh

19. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

So how'd it turn out?

I got to work out last night for the first time since last Friday-5 days off and it felt like I hadn't been inside the gym in months. I guess when you're used to going almost every day it's weird to be off for almost a week.

20. Marcman

ya i know how that feeling is

my weigh in - thursday i was 197.5 and tuesday i was 198 :mad:

i guess i didnt do cardio at all last week so i really had no reason to lose weight since im not eating SUPER strict, but i am definitely trying to eat all clean food and eat in moderation.

i know im putting on muscle because my lifts are going up/getting easier slowly but surely. everything is a little different than last time because im not doing intense max-ot 3x a week. my workouts are usually about 45 mins as opposed to 60+ mins. Still not working my legs at all tho which is going to be problematic. Tough to start from such a low place tho since my left leg is still needing more rehab

just getting frustrated at my slow rate of fat loss. I did notice, however, the other day, my biceps pumped are like 16" and unpumped 15", which i think is a pretty big increase, even though i dont know what they were before. My arms are big, but not defined at all besides the shoulder-bicep rounding, which i guess is because of too much bf%

i am excited to take some pics at the end of october - i still think that i can get some more improvements in and hopefully look better than i did in my last set of pics, but i dont know. This weekend is going to be rough - going to chicago so eating out every meal probably, but thats only for 2 days. ill be back to the gym monday, but still eating out monday and tuesday probably since i dont have school.

hows everything going with you? i've been posting a lot in the college challenge, you should check it out