1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

jko vs Marcman vs Nico

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Nico, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Thanks for the credit. I wasn't actually pissed or anything, and the contest rules took about 5 seconds to think of and type so it's of course very trivial-but it's not the same as doing the same workout or diet plan as someone else, or even recommending them. What bugs me is that now that everyone is communicating with computers, it's so easy for someone to copy/paste something that someone wrote without attributing the words to them. Even if it's something totally lame like the rules of our contest of greatness.

I bet someone like Jeremy or Swolecat wouldn't be too thrilled if people were copying their programs, even small sections of them-even just individual sentences, word for word without acknoledgement. Musicians sue other musicians for the theft of a single verse or chord progression, although I'm sure they wouldn't have objected had their creativity been acknowledged initially.

<joke>I had a deep-seeded hope that the contest rules I created that fateful day would end up being the industry standard for online message-board-based physique transformation contests, and that I would receive massive royalty checks that would allow me to live comfortably for the rest of my life without having to work another day. I was also planning to parlay the fame that my contest rules were generating for me into a career in film and/or television.</joke>

I hope your contest goes well-I plan to win mine.(you heard me Marcman)

2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I never got up to 220 like you-I think the heaviest I got was 216 in January of this year. January 22nd is when I found this website and committed to getting back into shape. When I was 19 I was doing pretty well-I weighed about 200 and was probably around 10% bodyfat. I would run, swim, lift, and play all kinds of other sports because I was in college and had almost no time restrictions, plus I had a fast metabolism.

I'm hoping to be back to my peak fitness level in another 5 months. After this contest I'll probably take a mini-break from weight training for a few weeks, then maybe I'll look to do a four month contest. I'm a tax accountant so even though I'm busy from Feb1-April15 that's actually the best time for me to train because I'm out of the house really early and come home very late so I can feel free to take a 2 and a half hour lunch break and work out hard.

3. Marcman

Marcman Well-Known Member

Them sounds like fightin' words to me boss

I guess it's going to be a showdown between me and you

Let's do ittt

4. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

just talked to josh on aim and he says he's still in the contest, just busy.

5. Marcman

Glad to hear it - havent seen him on aim for a while and he hasnt updated his website in a long while

My mom just took me to this terrible chinese food restaurant cause my grandma likes it and since i was eating pretty well today

(7:30am big bowl of kashi go lean/skim milk
    11:30am slice of wheat bread
    1pm tuna salad sandwhich on 2 slices of wheat bread/mustard and a pickle
    3pm a little more tuna and 3 slices of sliced chicken breast)

i decided why not. Im going to hit up my chest/forearms pretty hard in a little bit

infact, i think i'll eat a little more chinese. This will be one of my cheat meals for the week (one of them since i know i'll have more - hopefully more healthy) and this is the first time ive had chinese food in months and hopefully the last, so i might as well enjoy it. i love how i have to justify myself. i like eating too much

#65 Marcman, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  6. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I don't even try to track my eating or be super strict in any way. I just set up some simple rules that seem to be working:

1. No soda ever
    2. Only one dessert per day, and make it small.
    3. Instead of drinking juice I tend to drink water.
    4. Eat in the morning, don't eat three hours before bed.
    5. Avoid empty carbs.
    6. Eat some protein for every meal.
    7. Don't eat till I'm full, just till I'm not as hungry.
    8. Make sure I never let 4 hours pass without some protein.
    9. Limit my alcohol consumption.
    10.Watch less tv-it tends to make me eat.

7. Chris_Otto

Chris_Otto Well-Known Member

My diet has been essentially very similar. I'm going to focus on it a bit more than I did in the recent past as I feel my metabolism needs prompting to get it where I want it to be. My changes would be:

1. Only 2 diet sodas per day (since I don't drink coffee, diet pepsi has been my morning drink since I was 16)
    10. Cut down on the computer gaming - it tends to make me want to eat and drink lots and lots of diet sodas

:D

8. Musicguy

Musicguy Well-Known Member

Smart. I follow similar principles. I think it's fine for the "everyday living" kind of fitness/exercise. I can see breaking down the macronutrient percentages and counting calories if you're competing, or just especially interested in doing that, but I think finding principles like these and living with them day to day is the best thing for most of us.

9. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

This way you can eat with your family and no one has to accomodate your special diet. You don't have to obsess over individual meals but just have a guiding principle.

But yes if you are competing or really giving your nutrition 100% attention than you would act like a bodybuilder and live and breathe diet/training/cardio/rest/drugs?

10. Marcman

let's see how i compare with you

1. No soda ever

yup - well, VERY rarely, maybe once in a few months and it didnt really do anything for me - only because it was the only thing available to drink

2. Only one dessert per day, and make it small.

nope. i'll eat some ice cream every once in a while but definitely not every night

3. Instead of drinking juice I tend to drink water.

definitely. i dont really like juice, and i actually LOVE water, so i tend to drink a lot of it when i have the opportunity. If i dont have some around or its not convenient, i'll go a while without it which is no good. If i have it around, i'll drink waaaay too much. mmmm so thirsty

4. Eat in the morning, don't eat three hours before bed.

ya, this summer i started having a bowl of kashi go lean/crunch (although, not so much crunch anymore since its not as healthy, even though it tastes tons better). I know it's healthier for me, but im never hungry in the morning and it doesnt change how much i eat for the rest of the day, so i wonder if i can do without breakfast...

5. Avoid empty carbs.

yup. they suck

6. Eat some protein for every meal.

i try to as well, or i try to snack on cottage cheese/sliced meat whenever i get a chance

7. Don't eat till I'm full, just till I'm not as hungry.

I WISH! I love eating till im stuffed - its just force of habit combined with my affinity for food. This is still my biggest problem. I think getting on a really strict eating regiment will help, which i will be able to do in september when i will be preparing my own meals every day. Im just too lazy to do the research really...

8. Make sure I never let 4 hours pass without some protein.

hmmm....i dont really pay attention to this, although i should i guess

9. Limit my alcohol consumption.

during the summer im cool, but the school year is going to be a killer on this end since im a senior and just turned 21 ;)

10.Watch less tv-it tends to make me eat.

no time for tv. too much work.

that chinese double dinner really did me in. I woke up 5lbs heavier than I usually do in the morning, which i know is mostly water, but discouraging nonetheless. Makes me feel good that im having a turkey sandwich for lunch and hopefully can control myself during the day. We'll see

11. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Marcman when will we see your 8/1 photos? You don't want to wait too long or you won't have enough time between this one and 9/1.

By the way, since spelling is a pet peeve of yours--you've been referring to your eating regiment and I thought I'd correct you.

----------------------------------
    reg·i·men (rj-mn, -mn)
    n.

A regulated system, as of diet, therapy, or exercise, intended to promote health or achieve another beneficial effect.
    A course of intense physical training.
    ----------------------------------

REGIMENT is either a noun referring to a group of ground troops or it's a verb.

regiment

n : army unit smaller than a division v 1: subject to rigid discipline, order, and systematization; "regiment one's children" 2: form (military personnel) into a regiment 3: assign to a regiment; "regiment soldiers"

So you're either trying to regiment your diet, or you're on a regimen, but you cannot be on a regiment, only IN a regiment, assuming you're in the army.

12. Marcman

thanks for the correction. now i know and knowing is half the battle. GI JOE!

i had this whole post written out, but i hit the wrong button and it disappeared, so i'll post a better one later. Pics will be up tomorrow

13. Marcman

right, so for most of this week, i've been doing 60-70 mins of cardio after my workout.

For example, today i did 30 mins on the precor - 400cals burned, 20 mins incline walking WHICH I HATE - 225cals burned, and 20 mins on the elliptical with the swinging arms deal - around 300cals burned i think, dont remember.

What i've noticed is that i start getting sharp pains in my tummy after a while. I think this is probably caused by hunger and not eating the right things at the right time, or that i can actually feel the fat being burned from my tummy, my problem area. BTW, i do 129-139 heart rate for all this. Im sure that the pain is more likely the former and not the later, but we can hope cant we?

Anyways, thursday I had an awesome chest day. usually i start with incline dumbells, but this time i started with flat so that i wouldnt be fatigued when I did it. Here's how it went for me

12 reps 45lbs
    8reps 50lbs
    6reps 55lbs
    3 reps 65lbs

3 sets of 6 reps 70lbs.

That's a huge increase from what i was doing before (50lbs i think) and i am definitely feeling it today. I'm exciting to work my chest pretty hard since that is one of my problem areas. Ive also started doing my ab workout more routinely so that I might be able to see some gains there. Anyways, we'll do some comparing when i do my pics tomorrow - sorry not today, didnt have access to a digicam

14. Marcman

some pics. the lighting wasnt as good as in the last pics, but you can see my improvement or lack of pretty well i think

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      25.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      47.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Marcman

2 more

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
  16. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Marcman,

Glad to see you posted your pics. I think your b/f is definitely under 16%-it's probably 2 or 3 points lower than mine. but it's hard to say how much a difference it makes that you have no hair on your chest/stomach whereas I have copius amounts even after trimming it down.

Some critiques to improve your photos:

1. Try to stand in front of a solid background, preferably white. It's what I've been doing so it would make comparisons easier. Otherwise I have to go buy that artwork framed behind you in your bedroom.

2. Also, we can't see the full body so we can't compare legs or the overall appearance.

I think your starting pic's look better than mine. I think that leaves me more room for improvement-since you can't really see any abs or even ribs in my photos. I think if you worked on widening your lats you would end up looking a lot bigger-you've got the mid back well developed but just lack width.

17. Marcman

heres a comparison with the two similar pics

bad lighting in the first shot really hinders any real comparison, but here's what i know

i think i dropped 1-2lbs last week by increasing my cardio from 30-40mins/day 5-6 days a week to 60-70mins/day 7 days a week.

looking at my first set of pics, i think my pecs are better developed, but not great. also, everything on the right side of my body is much more developed than the left. ill try and get some leg shots in pretty soon, but my left leg has been injured for a while so my right leg is about 2x stronger in the quad and calf. Im right handed, so my bicep, forearm and tricep are all much stronger than my left arm. I think as a result of that unevenness, my lats and back on the left are much more under developed than the other side.

anyways, looking at the pics side to side, im pretty happy. again, it's probably the light, but my pecs and abs look much much better now than they did before. traps also look better, even though i dont work them too much. and shaving your chest, while its a bitch, makes getting shadows and seeing definition a lot easier, Nico. Having really short hair even makes a noticeable difference on me.

tonight i have shoulders and triceps which usually owns me, as well as 70mins of cardio. i'm also doing 1.5 hours of leg rehab 3 days a week, so hopefully that will counteract some of my overeating. the weight i lost from last week is the first weightloss ive seen in about 3 months, so im pretty stoked. cant wait to see if keeping up the cardio keeps the weight off. jk0 - got any pics coming?

pic on left is about 8 or 9 weeks newer than pic on right

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • side.jpg
      side.jpg
      File size:
      26.7 KB
      Views:
    #77 Marcman, Aug 9, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  18. Marcman

so my shoulder grinding is actually scapulary lesions, the result of poor form on shoulder/back/chest exersizes, so i guess im going to have to switch up my routine a bit

on top of that, i ate like absolute shit today, all day, and didnt go to the gym...

wish i had some self control :(

19. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

So did the doc tell you that? I've always noticed that tall people like us invariably have bad shoulders which are often aggravated by the following excersises in particular:

Behind-the-neck press
    Behind-the-neck pulldown
    Bench press
    Upright rows
    Lateral raises

I've had arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder already and haven't been able to throw a ball of any kind for 10 years. I'm trying to work through it with therapy but the problem seems to be rooted in bad posture, which puts the shoulder in an unnatural position and makes it vulnerable to injury.

How will you modify your lifting? I've found that the best way to protect my shoulders while lifting is to minimize my number of sets on chest and shoulders while working harder on safe back exercises with strict form. On lateral and front raises, I only use 10 pound dumbells and go really slow with total control. I see people weaker than me using 20 pounders and I think it would rip my shoulder from the socket.

Looking at your side pictures, you do seem to show some lordosis-kyphosis, basically an overarch of the mid back caused by tight hamstrings and giving you the slouched appearance. I've been fighting this for years with limited success. I think I may try pilates to strengthen the core and yoga for my flexibility but not until this challenge is over.

20. Marcman

i dont really know how i am going to modify my routine yet, or what exercises are specifically screwing me up. I've been plagued my injury and problems for the past 10 years, so this isnt anything exciting for me, just something to add to the list. and im only 21, that's the worst part.

today i do shoulders and triceps. I think instead of seated dumbell presses (i guess that's what they are called) and instead of the seated military barbell press, which i think are essentially the same thing, im going to try and do 3 different dumbell exercises (lifting dumbells straight out infront of me, to the side, one more?)

i think my tricep routine is alright, but what im worried about is back and chest day. Ive recently shifted my chest day to heavier flat bench dumbells instead of starting with heavy incline dumbells, but i was feeling kinda weird in my shoulder just doing bicep curls, so i dont know what that's about. I know correct form is definitely a problem, so i might consider shifting to less weight, more reps for a while - i dunno.

on another note, i didnt do such a good workout last week, on account of just being flat out exhausted. I think physical therapy + intense workout + 70minutes of cardio is too much. I was fine the first 8 days on it, but then it all went to hell, I cant help just feeling pooped no matter how much sleep i get or how much i work out. *sigh* :(