1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jedi's Journey into Intuitive Living

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jedi, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

When breathing squats are your warmup, you know it's gonna be a killer workout. You did good stuff, there! :flex:

2. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I guess I was beeing a little too culturally sensitive there in not wanting to offend the majority:D

:lol:

:p I got up to doing 5 sets of 20x58kg on SGX and didn't want to lose the momentum :)

a little sore in glutes and hammies from yesterday but they loosened up during a 10km hilly run this morning, though have defnitely lost VO2max with all that LISS:cry:

Have any of you tried using kettlebells?

3. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

I've noticed that too. I try to get my heart rate elevated by pushing myself on my bike rides.

4. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Before I joined bootcamp I had a personal trainer. He competes in shows and usually placed first or second in his class. He was a huge kettleball fan. I could burn hundreds of calories with those things...especially the swings! My glutes and quads would be killing me! We would also do shoulder presses, row etc with them as well! It was a killer workout!

5. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Yes, I would love to give them a go!

Wt 58.8, Tanita 13.3%wt up 0.7 from last Friday.
    Workout this AM tried thrusters for first time:scared:
    BB thrusters WU withbar then 4x 10 @25kg gets the heart rate up:nod:
    Pullthroughs first time for these too WU then 4x10 @35kg
    Chins 4x5
    Cable abs 4x15 @55kg
    DB rows 4x8 @ 15kg
    Skullcrsuhers 3x8 @16kg

tried to keep rests short

eating fruit once or twice a day sure keeps my bowels even more active than normal.... tried kefir for the first time today and loved it :)

Have guests tonight and one is vegetarian so am making stuffed zucchini, hummus,falafel lebanese tabouleh and homemade flat bread.

6. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

They import a lot of Californian wine to England, except in London all the stuff you see on sale at Rite Aid in the states for $3-5 is about £9/$18 here. Or more. What's hilarious is I hear Londoners all the time talking about how good Californian wine has gotten, bla bla bla, it's really giving the Italians a run for their money... as they sip on an Am version of Jacob's flippin creek. :rolleyes: Amazing what raising the price on something does to people's taste for it...

7. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Have a great time with your guests Jedi!:nod:

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Jedi,
    Because of the shrinking US dollar, French wine is pretty expensive here. While California wine is the most popular here, actually in New York State they make some really good wines. I am not really a wine connoiseur, but I do know what I like.

I didn't follow your earlier post about raw milk. Why do you want to drink raw milk?

9. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

Did the kefir remind you of beer - it did to me. Did you buy it in the store or did someone make it for you? Unfortunately my stomach didnt like the yeast and I got stomach aches :(

10. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I think most people go by price tag to judge the quality of a wine :lol:

We did and it was fun to entertain with produce from my garden ;)

The French are very protective about their wine as there are far more legal restraints on french viticulturists than eg on the Californian ones! I had no idea the East Coast produced wine too.
    Well you will read article for and against raw milk; Shamie, but as with many things the argument for is milk from grass fed cows and that the PROCESS of pasteurising kills off a lot of the good stuff etc it is quite big in a number of US states apparantly.

Mine was shop bought organic kefir as I hav yet to get some live grains to make my own... I seem to have no problems with any dairy produce. I will be buying it again, but it didn't taste like beer to me:(

WT 59.2, Tanita 13.8% went for very sweaty 45 min run this AM as I didn't hit the road til aroun 8.15! Thought I would add up my cals from yesterday as haven't tracked for two weeks and wanted to get an idea of cals and ratios

just over 1200 cals so too low and macros were roughly 33/33/33 I think this is pretty typical of past days... interestingly the lower calories hasn't produced any weight loss probably because carbs have been increased... anywya will try and eat more..

Well the thrusters and pull throughs, both new to me, from yesterday clearly worked some muscles differently to normal, which is great... i think I need to be looking for more new stuff. need to try Turksih get ups I reckon!

#70 Jedi, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  11. jchantelau

Nice workouts Jedi! What all are you growing in your garden?

12. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Heh, have I been influencing you?

Turkish getups are great for shoulder stability, which is one of my main reasons for doing them. They are pretty technical so are challenging/fun in that way. Not horribly hard to learn, but if you just lay down and try to get up with a challenging weight while doing it wrong, it's not as easy as it looks.

#72 MannishBoy, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  13. Ecrivain

Similarly, I think people will talk up a wine they paid a lot for in order to justify the expense to themselves. Nobody wants to admit to paying a high price for spoiled grape juice. So even if it tastes like vinegar, it will be described as a "bold, challenging wine with complex, interesting notes." :lol:

Getting some inspiration from MannishBoy, aren't ya? ;) Glad to see you're having fun with your workouts, trying new things and still pushing yourself!

14. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I guess you caught me in the act:o:o
    Guilty as charged :nod: BUT I have also been lurking at dragonsdoor and crossfit and having seen the turkish getups mentioned there (mainly with kettlebells) so I thought, why not?
    Thanks for the tip though, Andy, I will start with something light :) also shows I DO read your journal ;)

Jason, in my garden I have:
    pumpkin, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, radishes, batavia, roquette, peppers, chili peppers, chives, strawberries, lemons and a bunch of herbs :drool:.... this is the first time, so it is all very experimental this year:drool:.

15. jchantelau

Cool, we are trying to grow some blueberries and strawberries and my daughters pumpkin plant is doing well.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's quite an impressive undertaking Jedi.

17. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

:)

Well I was just about to go off and do my hill sprints when a thunder storm arrived... so i thought i would try tabata stuff at home. I opted for bodyweight squats as i have never done it before.... I am not sure what to think.... yes it was hard and yes my legs were like jelly at the end, more so than after my hill sprints or a long run, but my heart rate did NOT gte up as much as my hill sprints, here the max was 159 and for my sprints it is 183 (they of course last 2 mins and not 20 secs) I don't feel I could have done it much faster, are these results strange?

also it just seems too short, 4 miniutes, for a training session, I guess one should do it with something else, upper body weights maybe.

Also last time I did my HIIT running up steps which I do for 20+ mins and my heart rate gets up tp 183 or so, I left my HRM on to measure EPOC, well for the first two hours I was just using an extra 10 cals per hour, big deal :(

#77 Jedi, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  18. jchantelau

Hill sprints!:nope: I dislike those!:D

19. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

I'm been so accustomed to doing LISS that hill sprint would probably do me in. I have been riding to work on the bike since the beginning of the month and I've noticed that my overall endurance is slowly coming back.

20. Ecrivain

Dang it, Jedi, you're just too fit for tabata! ;) You could try squat thrusts or burpees if bodyweight squats weren't enough. Or add weight. Or replace the rest period with shadow boxing.

I like doing tabata training occasionally, but I wouldn't make it my only form of cardio. I think it's a good tool to have on hand for exactly the situation you described - your planned cardio was interrupted by nature, so you needed something else to do.