1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jedi's Journey into Intuitive Living

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jedi, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Well as many of you know, the past five month's of cutting have shown minimal success (1kg and maybe 1-3%BF lost). In the 2.5 years of discovering JSF, trying to trim some body fat and increase fitness and health levels, I have tried lots of combinations of exercise and diets... and have learnt many thingsin great measure from this forum; I know I have great endurance and strength, I know I have good discipline, I know long distance sports do not help me lose body fat but I enjoy them, I know I am carb sensitive, I know I have very stubborn lower body fat and I know that I have not yet discovered what works for me to lower that body fat to a level I would like, but am now not sure it is worth the continued effort (I may of course change my mind on this....) I have tried the standard 5-6 meals per day and timed carbs etc, and have not found negative repercussions from this (nor geat success) except, combined with my lack of success, the focus on "good" and "bad" foods and when I can and cannot eat has become a burden to me and I do not personally like the obsession it has become in my life, nor the impact on my social life (if we ate a lot socially in restaurants, as people seem to do often in the US, it wouldn't be so difficult, but here mostly it is in homes and lovingly home prepared meals)...... So really after 2.5 years of weighing, measuring, logging and timing all my meals and exercising once or twice a day, I feel in need of a break from this.... how long this will last I do not know......

I plan on trying to live each day more intuitively, more instictively..... less obsessonally, eating when I am hungry and eating what feels right at that moment... I would like to try and exercise in a more instinctive way too, but that I think will be harder as I have this inner 'I must exercise at least six days a week" voice AND I truly do believe in regular exercise :) So we will see where this journey takes me... This is kind of a week off from the gym anyway so that's a good start;) I did nothing Friday, Saturday and today (except a little walk before breakfast as I woke early this morning and felt like it ;) Yesterday I did a great hike with Christophe, despite us getting to bed real late after a great beach party.... we discovered an emerald green lake and what we think are tons of blueberry plants :)

I have not weighed myself the past few days (was 59.5 and 16.00% if i want starting stats) . I have not measured any food, I have not eaten 5 times a day and I have had a few glasses of wine, bur I haven't overeaten as I have been eating healthily and moderately anyway for 30 years :) I have eaten more carbs than normal, had a few chips and a bit of chocolate..... I am not giving myself a license to binge and eat garbage, just permission to eat more normally and not deprive myself all the time .It feels good and freeing, but its early days..:)

The beach party was cool! I guess we were around 30 in the end... it was the day of the national music festival where there are live bands throughout the towns and villages of France... we had a bunch of musicians with us, inlcuding a didgeridoo and harmonica,:guitar: and made our own music ... We sang in English, French and Italian as we were a number of nationalities...finally we have some summer weather too and I have picked my first radishes for tonight and my first tomato is almost ripe.....

2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

yay...you're gonna love this phase i suspect!! :D

a didgeridoo! did you play it??

3. Rise

Rise Active Member

Good luck with the new plan, Jedi! :)

4. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Jedi - I look forward to following this journal! Sounds like you're very happy with where you are right now!:tu:

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Jedi, good luck with this next phase. I imagine that you'll find the change very refreshing.

6. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

The line between "careful planning" and "obsessive burden" can be so thin, I know. Sounds like you're heading in a great direction, and I look forward to reading about it!

7. docutech

docutech Active Member

Good luck with your new plan Jedi!

You've been at it for a long time and now it is time to "live a little".

:gl:

8. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Exciting! This is the culmination of all of your research, experimentation, and experience. I have no doubt you will continue to amaze us with your dedication and perseverance while you travel down this new and hopefully enjoyable path.

9. Big_D

Big_D Active Member

:gl:

Hopefully this works out for you and will take a load off your back!

10. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Jedi- Looking forward to reading your journal and reading about your happiness!:tucool:

11. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

:nod:... I ws playing a guitar so didn't have time to have a go on the didgeridoo, bit it made a very cool sound !

thanks, Rise.

:)

I think so ;)

Ype it is a thin line and I imagine I might swing out a little the otehr way before coming back to the centre ;)

That's how I feel about it too ;)

I like to try new things!

I think I just need this freer lifestyle for a while :nod:

I am excited to to see how it pans out too:D

I thought I would continue to wake early as I have been getting up at 5.30 most days for the past 8 weeks, and I am terrible for not being able to break routines and sleep later. Today I thought, if I wake early I will go for a run if it feels good, but I slept long and deep, despite going to bed at 10.00, until 6.45... guess my body is doing some recuperation, which is fine by me. The cool thing is I am not feeling guilty about not exercising every day. Tomorrow I will play some tennis though

Marmite had been missing 3 days until she came back for 10 minutes yesterday morning early, to have some breakfast... I guess the good weather is motivating her to go wandering.

#11 Jedi, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  12. jchantelau

I love your relaxed attitude Jedi!:tu: Sounds like you're finding good balance and moderation!:tu:

Glad the cat came back!

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Jedi,
    You sound like you are on vacation. Have a good time. Do you anticipate how long this program is going to last? Congratulations on finishing SGX & good luck on your new program.

14. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

It was a relief as it was this time last year Fudgy went missing for 5 days :rolleyes: but Marmite is much more independant ;)

Vacation starts in 10 days time and I can't wait, Shamie. Meanwhile the new "approach" feels very holidayish ;) Who knows how long this will last as I would hope it is basically a more natural approach, that should become permanent but we shall see.

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I like to reduce the structure too. Once you've learned a bunch of stuff about fitness, then you should be able to just live it, not have to continuously plan it all the time.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Agreed. That's why I vacillate between really keeping track of things and being much more lax with it. I really don't have to any more and I don't think there's too much of a difference in my level of fitness whether I am or I'm not tracking so when I feel it becoming a burden I stop. For the moment I am tracking.

17. jchantelau

Crazy Fudgy!:D Vacation!!!:spaz:

18. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Marmite is the cat?

What a great name!!

Is the rumor true that they've stopped importing Marmite to the States because the FDA couldn't figure out to classify it as a food or not...!? :lol:

19. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Yep, Marmite and Fudge are the cats :)

:lol::lol:

I am sure glad they import it here in Nice. I guess I am lucky that I live in a very international part of France. Actually it has only been two years that I can get it in Nice, before I had to go to Monaco for Marmite!

So I did wake early this monring, and thought I would walk (as its my week off), but then I got busy in the garden and an hour flew by before breakfast :) My friend has just cancelled tennis tonight so not sure what I will do. I am tempted to lift but I promised myself I would stay out of the gym for 7 days ;)

#19 Jedi, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  20. jchantelau

Enjoy the rest of your day Jedi!