1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

JC's Journey to Fat Free Paradise

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Blinkbear, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

Ok, maybe not Fat FREE. But atleast reduced greatly. My plan is to work out on my own, focusing mainly on eating healthier and portion control until I can afford to go on SGX. I'm a poverty-stricken college kid. I can't make heads or tails of nutrition and I don't want to try my own calorie restricted diet and risk sacfricing what muscle I DO have. To give you some idea of what my motivations are and what my background is, read the following. This will look awfully familiar to Swolecat. Hey, it saves me alot of typing.

I'm 20 years old. I'm 6' tall and weigh about 265 lbs. I go to college at a tech school and have always pretty much just eaten whatever I want in portions that were way too much for any human being.

I played football for 7 years, through middle school and high school. It's my passion, it's what I live to do. I always had intended on going to one of the D3 colleges here in Wisconsin after graduating High School and playing football. BUt alas, life got in the way. MY junior year I met my ex girl and college got thrown on the backburner. And that, for me, meant no football. I look back and see not going to school to play football as one of the worst decisions I've ever made. After graduation we got our own place and I did the 40 hrs/week thing for about 1 1/2 years. About February of this year, after about 2 1/2 years together she and I broke up. I was a wreck for quite a while because I didn't eat, I didn't sleep. I lost alot of weight the bad way. But people complimented me on the weight that I had lost and it felt good and I noticed the difference in the mirror too. But I knew it wasn't real.

Luckily for me I have great friends and one of my high school buddies who went to college basically forced me to move out of the area in with him and get my life back on track. So in March that's what I did. I now have a new girl, I’m comfortable….which of course means I put the weight back on. I'm now going to a Tech School that unfortunately has no football team. It's sucks because ever since I graduated high school, every year around this time of the year, the bug gets me. The football on TV, the smell of the air, the cool weather, it gets me going and I miss it a lot.

This is why I decided that next year I’m transferring out to a school with a football team. This is my motivation…my passion. I don’t want to sit around anymore pissing and moaning about how “I wish I could play football again”. I’m going to do it. I don’t know how realistic this is but my goal is to get in shape for next year, by the end of August. I want to go back and play my old position of Fullback/Linebacker. Physically, I want to be somewhere between 230-240..maybe 220? I want to be strong with a low BF%. I’ve always been able to gain muscle pretty well so I have that in my favor.

Mentally I’m not sure what my goals are. I guess just proving to myself that I can do it. Just proving that I have the willpower, strength, and courage. I liked the compliments that I got when I was losing weight the wrong way.

I'm serious about this. So serious that I'm doing the unthinkable. I'm posting my pictures!!! :eek:

So here they are for the whole world to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Believe me, it's as hard for me as it is for you, lol. About that darker skin underneath my left breast, I had a punch biopsy taken a while back and it turned out to be what the Doc called a "Lentigo". Basically just a darker pigmented skin. It started when I was about 14-15ish and kinda spread to what it is now. It's stayed how it is for a couple years now, luckily. It's a big issue with me, I can't take my shirt off because of it. I plan on someday looking into getting it removed if possible.

Please feel free to comment on my pics. I haven't taken measurements yet but plan on doing so soon. Does anyone have a BF% estimate?

I'm hoping keeping this journal and keeping it updated will help me to stay motivated and on top of things. It seems to work for alot of people here.

So here I am! I look forward to keeping you all abreast and coming here for help and advice.

2. Blinkbear

Applause for the first update. Yay!

Well tonight was the "offical" first night of my workout. I decided to start off with a leg workout because..well I wanted to :)

I started off with your basic leg excersizes:
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Squat (Smith Machine)
    Deadllift
    Calf Raises

I did 10x8x6 going with heavier weights so I can attempt to build as much muscle as I can before I go on SGX when I can afford it.

Everything went pretty well and I felt really good. I only had one problem. My lower back is preventing me from keeping my back straiight for squatting and deadlifts. It tightens up real bad when I try to do so. I did the best I could but it just didn't feel natural.

I'm definiitely going to have to buy some straps if I'm gonna deadlift more often or I'm gonna tear my hands apart.

After lifting I capped it off with about 20 mins of faux HIT. It wasn't technically HIT but I used the bike and turned to resistance up to about halfway and pedalled and a moderate pace...just enough to get my heart rate up. and every 40 secs, for 20 secs I would pedal as fast as I could and then slow down toi the moderate pace for 40 secs again. That was really tough and I was forming a small ocean of sweat underneat the bike, hehe.

Overall, I felt it was pretty good. I don't think I could've asked for a better return to leg day. Swolecat...bring it on! When I get the $$$ you're mine! hehe

3. Blinkbear

Just got my hair cut today. There goes 5 lbs right there! ROCK! Haha! that's the longest my hair's ever been in my life. usually i get it buzzed real short and then within a month I get it cut again. In those pics it was like 2.5/3 months. yikes! Just makes me look like even more of a slob lol

I feel better already!

4. Wonder Boy

Wonder Boy Well-Known Member

Dude, this is an awesome journal! :nod:

Way to go to get yourself motivated again, and I think you've got some great goals. Once you add some good muscle to your frame, I could definitely see you being a very intimidating presence on the football field. To be honest, when you mentioned you played fullback (/linebacker), I thought you kind of resembled Jon Ritchie:

[​IMG]

Anyways, I'm a huge football fan. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES, baby!!! :D But, it appears from your tat that you might just be a fan of da Bears. They have a sick looking D this year, by the way. Anyways, I'm sure I'll be by to offer any advice that I'm capable of giving and check on your progress. Your goals are very interesting to me, so I know I'll be keeping updated.

Good luck! :D

5. Blinkbear

John Ritchie! Friggin' Sweet! I could only dream to one day be able to sniff the used jock strap of Jon Ritchie! The man was a beast and an awesome fullback!

You would be correct in saying that I am a Bears fans. What kills me are people who look straight at the tattoo and proceed to ask me in all seriousness, "You a Bears fan?" Kills me every single time lol

The Eagles have a good thing going with McNabb playing lights out the way he is. Startin to look like the only ones in the NFC who might be able to challenge my mighty Bears along with the Panthers if Steve Smith comes back strong

Thanks for the kind words and I'd like to keep this thread updated and relatively entertaining if I can.

Upperbody workout tonight. My shoulders hurt from where the Squat bar rested last night. Defintely gotta get used to doing those again.

Here's my planned workout for tongiht

Bicep curls using the Olympic bar
    Dumbbell tricep extension
    Dumbbell shoulder shrugs.
    Bent over rows(?)
    Lat Pulls
    Bench Press

Plus 20-30 mins of cardio

Lookin forward to it quite a bit and it's posts liek yours that gets me going even more! Thanks!

6. Blinkbear

It's frustrating. I go into the gym now after close to 3 years being out of it. I mean I understand why. But I just remember going in and being able to 1RM 275. I go in now and I struggle to put up 200. It sucks and it's a little demoralizing.

That being said I think it was a good workout. I stuck to it pretty well, everything felt really good. For Bicep Curls I used the short bar instead of the long one. For each of the 3 sets I did burnout reps. Then once I couldn't do anymore I used my body to swing the weight up and finshed by supporting the wieght as I let it down to get a few extra reps out of it. It really burns and feels very good.

I added another lift just cuz I felt like doing it. I've heard it most commonly referred to as the Pelican Press. I took a long olympic bar and gripped it a little wider than shoulder width. ANd while keeping my arms straight just lift it over my head. It really hits the shoulders really well and is difficult to do.

My arms are TORCHED haha.

AFter lifting I hopped on the bike and did 15 mins of moderate cycling keeping the HR betweem 150 and 160. Last 15 mins I pedalled as fast as I could for 30 secs and went back to the moderate pace for 30 secs. Oddly enough (to me) it got easier as I went on. It felt really really good. I'm kind of mad at myself for not going the extra 15 mins! grr!

Well I've gone on long enough. I just get excited and want ot keep typing. I'm going to stop now

7. Blinkbear

OK, so my shoulders don't work and my abs keep tightening up on me while I'm sitting from the weighted decline situps I did. It hurts like hell but oh well.

I made the mistake last night of attempting to hop off the couch and crawl over to my girlfriend to accept her peanutbutter on a slice of apple offering...mostly cuz I didn't feel like walking, my legs hurt.

I quickly discovered that that was a bad idea as my arms gave out on me instantly and I did a swift faceplant into the carpet. She didn't stop laughing for about 15 minutes. lol oh well

Tonight I think tongiht is just gonna be a strictly cardio night. Take a break from lifting and get back at the legs tomorrow. Haven't fully decided yet.

8. Wonder Boy

Wonder Boy Well-Known Member

:lol:

Sorry dude, but that is pretty funny. I have definitely had those days where my arms wouldn't have supported me in that same situation. Hope only your ego got bruised by that one!

9. Blinkbear

Haha...ya I took a pretty good shot to the ego with that one.

So basically last nights cardio session sucked. It was productive...jsut boring. I have to change the music on my MP3 player.

Tonight it's back to legs