1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Jaybird pictures (about time)

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by Jaybird, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Jaybird

Jaybird Well-Known Member

Ok, I've been here on the forums for a while now, but I never put any photos of me up. I decided it's time to share my story and pictures with the group. I've gone through a slow transformation that has taken many years, but I finally did what I set out to do, and since it is a lifestyle change, it's something I'll be doing the rest of my life.

I was a fat kid. I was the token fat kid in my class, and I battled my weight until late high school. Being in sports really helped lean me out, but it didn't solve the problem. Once the seasons were over, the weight would go back up. The reason being my diet wasn't any better. I just burned more calories during the seasons, but afterwards, I would be lazy again. I knew that I had to lose weight, but I was really unsure how. I didn't know that it was going to take a lifestyle change. I believed in the quick fixes and fad diets.

Here's a photo of me in high school. I don't have any of me shirtless, because I was always too ashamed to photographed without a shirt. However, my tight uniform can show my buldge. I was 5'10" and about 220 lbs and probably around 30% body fat in this picture:

[​IMG]

Throughout college, my weight was up and down like a rollercoaster. I would try all kinds of diets and exercises. They would work and I would lose weight, but it wasn't the right way to do it. Basically, I would starve myself and run endless miles to lose the weight, and then once I lost it, I would pack it all back on because I didn't do anything to boost my metabolism. I lifted weights and got strong, but since I was starving myself, I really did nothing for my health and didn't build much muscle. And I was once again plagued by the ups and downs in my weight. Nothing was ever permanent.

So, after my last major weight gain in 2002, I decided it was time to do something in 2003. I made a real lifestyle change, and I lifted weights and got on a proper eating program. The next two pictures show the results of my cut that ended in 2004. I went from (I'm now 6'00" having grown since high school) 240 pounds and probably around 25% body fat to 188 pounds and 11% body fat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After my successful cut, I decided it was time to start a bulk. With help from this forum, I made a plan, stuck to it, and had good success. I bulked from 10/2004 to 6/2005. It was a slow bulk, where I slowly added calories to my routine. It was successful, where I went from 188 pounds and 11% body fat to 215 pounds and 13% body fat. The next three pictures show my bulk:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm starting to cut again. I want to get to 9% body fat, which I think will take me to 200 or 205 pounds.

I wanted to share my story with everyone. This has been a great forum and has helped me with cutting and bulking. I'll post pictures again when I'm done with my cut. Then, in 9/2005 or 10/2005, I plan to bulk again and better develop my lats and get some more peak to my biceps.

Enjoy!

2. Thrillhouse17

Thrillhouse17 Well-Known Member

It's people like you that make this forum great. People that have turned their lives around, people that have persevered and stuck with it, people that have achieved and surpassed their goals. When you first started you looked at others for inspiration and were amazed at their progress. Now you have become inspiration for others, including myself. Amazing progress, from beginning to current. Those are some seroius arms in your pic, and I also bet it felt great jumping into an old pair of pants. Again, congratulatons on your current progress.

3. Jaybird

Thanks for the kind words. I was inspired by this forum, and I hope that I can help others through my experience.

4. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

I really, really, really, really love to hear people genuinely adopt this philosophy. It's the only philosophy, as far as I'm concerned.

And you look great, man. Your arms are looking pretty stacked.

5. Jaybird

Thanks for encouragement. You're right--the lifestyle change is the key. It took me a long time to figure it out, but once I did, everything fell into place. And so many other aspects of my life changed for the better, too.

6. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

Exactly. I love hearing that.

It's trite, and it's commonplace talk, but going on crash diets and engaging in short term extreme exercise programs will almost always end in failure. You've gotta look at the bigger picture - change, adopt, learn to love what you're doing.

:D

7. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

hey man congrats! thanks for being a part of this forum and sharing your knowledge and expierence. i agree wholeheartedly with the responses of other posters. Your understanding of healthy body transformation shows with those pics. Its one thing to know and its another thing completly to apply... you've got both. Keep it up!

Thanks again for all your help.

8. Jaybird

Thanks Krosspyder. It's been a pleasure talking with you--I'm glad to help in any way. I'm a big believer in giving back--I've gotten so much from here and I hope to give more back.

9. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

I agree with everything said ubove!

You look great! (People are never tired of hearing that :D )
    It's really wonderfull and inspiring to see a person turning his life around like that!

10. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

HOLY BICEPS!!!

Looking really good Jay!

And btw great cut. That pic with the pants is better than that nerd Jared Fogle anyday.

:claphigh:

11. henderjr

henderjr Well-Known Member

Awesome change. Congrats!! :tu:

Same philosopy for me. Very slow lifestyle change that will stick forever.

12. JabbaTheGutt

JabbaTheGutt Well-Known Member

Lookin' great - excellent job ! :tucool:

G

13. Jaybird

Cutting update

Thanks to everyone who offered kind words.

Here's an update to my current cut. I've been cutting for a week now, and this morning was my weekly weigh-in. I lost a ton of water weight in just one week. While I was bulking, I used about 8g creatine a day and ate a fair amount of starchy carbs, like baked potatoes, yams, brown rice, beets, and whole grain bread. Now that I'm cutting, I'm off creatine and I cut back on the starchy carbs. My weight dropped from 215 pounds to 208 pounds, and I attribute most of that to water loss because my body fat only changed from 13.1% to 12.8%, which could instrument error and not actual fat loss.

Anyway, I can handle gaining 20 pounds during my bulk. I think once I lose the fat I want to, I'll be around 200 pounds, so I guess a 12 pound lean mass bulk up isn't so bad. It gives me more inspiration for my next bulk this fall and winter!

14. Jaybird

I'm continuing to lose water as part of my cut and my stopping creatine. This morning I weighed in at 204 pounds and 12.7% body fat (started at 13.1%). Still too early to tell if my weight loss is complete water loss or if some fat came off, too. Once I reach 12.5% body fat, I'll believe that some of the weight loss is fat. Since my weight is already at my goal, but my body fat isn't, I think I have to change my current goal and my next goal. I wanted to get to 200 or 205 @ 9% body fat. Based on my calculations, I'll have to get to 195 pounds for 9% body fat (I have 178 pounds of lean mass). I can do that, but that makes me a little disappointed in my last bulk. That means I would have only increased my weight by 7 total pounds. Granted, it'll be at a lower body fat (pre-bulk 11% body fat, 167 pounds lean mass). So with my current goal, I would have increased my lean mass by 11 pounds. My next goal is bulk and add another 15 of lean mass, so my 9% body fat weight will be around 210.

15. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

Good arms!

16. Jaybird

Thanks!