1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jay Robb Whey Protein a Diuretic?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by craigstr, Jan 14, 2011.

1. craigstr

craigstr Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I've used it before and I dont remember having this problem. For an after dinner snack I've been using one scoop of Jay Robb whey protein, 8 oz. of water and some frozen berries blended up. Within 45 minutes I have a full bladder and have to use the bathroom about 3-4 times in the next three hours. I have some other brands that I have tried that dont do this. I like the Jay Robb becasue it is the lowest calorie/carb content for 25 grams of protein. ANy ideas as to waht ingredient is causing this? Here are the ingredients:

Attached Files:

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

How much protein are you taking in each day? Protein makes the kidneys work hard to purify the blood from the by-products contained in high levels. The increase in over-use of available protein can cause metabolic, hormonal, and chemical fluctuations in the body. These changes and fluctuations produce waste products in the form of water, urea, and ketones that build up in the bloodstream. As they increase, the body will attempt to eliminate them by excreting them through urine. Also, if you are using creatine and extra protein compounds such as essential amino acids, bcaa's, dessicated liver (on top of all your other protein intake) this can also create more waste products like ammonia. Again, the kidneys will be working harder to excrete the waste products via urine.

3. craigstr

craigstr Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

About 225-250 grams

The only products I take are supplemental protein and whatever ammino acids are in those. Less then 100 grams of protein is whey protein supplements, I try to get the rest from chicken, turkey, & egg whites. I am about 190 trying to cut down to the low 170's. Trying to eat 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% healthy fats at 2000 calories per day. I also take one scoop of Mike's Recovery Mix after my workouts.

4. mastover

Try lowering your protein powder intake for a week, getting more from whole food choices, and see what happens. It appears that the protein you are using is a whey isolate. Very fast acting and predigested form of protein. Try using a blend instead. Some people have the same reaction as you do with a fast acting type protein.

5. craigstr

craigstr Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks Mastover

I will give that a try.

6. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

So...is there ever a point of too much protein per day that will damage the kidneys too much??? For example I have been doing the high protein, high fat, low carb durring the week and then a high carb day on the weekend. I've been taking in 200 grams of protein a day (average). Thanks Mastover- Kree

7. mastover

I have no idea... It depends on your stats (including activity levels) current training, diet, and macro's, water intake, etc.

Generally, I would not go above 1.25 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle (minus the bodyfat)