1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Routine change time. Always a fun time.

I did some searching online on weight training/strength training/lifting for runners. Interestingly, most articles are geared toward long-time runners, either trying to convince them they should lift or at least explaining how lifting can improve running rather than being counterproductive (which apparently many runners believe, given how these articles are written). Not much from the perspective of a heavy lifter wanting to run--those end up more like advice for new runners.

So here are some of my own guidelines for crafting my program:
    1. Heavy lifting Tuesday and Thursday morning. Possible on the weekend as time allows.
    2. Most mid to long runs (mid eventually being 4-6 miles, long being 6+) will be after work Tuesday and Thursday or on weekends.
    3. MWF, my work from home days, are body weight/intense cardio workouts: Punisher workout again, complexes, or sprints.
    4. On lifting days, start each with a heavy compound lift. After, slow, higher rep, lower weight lifts for maximum "burn."
    5. Systema still M, W, Sat as I am able.

Which brings me to the actual lifting program. I'm doing "full body" both days, but I have found that Deadlifts need to go with chest days, because heavy DLs can weaken my grip and make rows, pull downs, or pull ups much more difficult.

Push:
    Deadlifts: 3 sets of 4-6 reps
    Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-10
    Leg Curls: 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Over head press: 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Rope tricep push-down: 3 sets 10-12 reps

Pull:
    Squats: 3 sets of 4-6 reps
    Rows: 3 sets 8-10
    Leg extension: 3 sets, 8-10 reps
    Pull down: 3 sets, 8-10 reps
    Bicep curls: 3 sets 10-12 reps

My goal is muscle preservation during my running season as well as improving endurance. My recent run (Sunday, 4 miles, 12:56 pace) and systema on Saturday showed my cardio endurance is crap at the moment. During the run, had to keep stopping to catch my breath (to be fair, it was also low to mid 30s out), and wrestling my bro-in-law on Saturday left be gasping. I'm looking at a higher rep count for a increasing endurance.

Splitting legs across two days might be a bad idea if the running is also crushing my leg recovery (though, 4 miles on Sunday, and right now my legs feel fine), but I think having the extra focus on lower body strength will help, and maybe by not doing all the leg things on one day, I won't be too sore from leg days to run.

Jaer
    thinks it should be an interesting experiment, at least.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I had the same results as you when looking for a strength training program with running. Most of what I found where very beginner stuff either focused on the runner starting weights or the lifter starting running. I'll be following your progress. After my marathon in a few weeks I want to get back to a 3 day of lifting and 3 day of running routine.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You have a rigorous fitness schedule.

I never heard of using a hula hoop for cardio. That would make a good youtube video. :)

Are you still doing the intermittent fasting?

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Feel free to follow along on this magical journey that is Jaer's His Own Lab Rat. Oh...that's actually a really good name for my journal....

I tend to set vigorous schedules when planning, but I won't be running on Tuesday and Thursdays until the weather is nicer, and the M, W, F workouts are variable based on feeling--if I'm in a good spot, it will be really intense, but if I'm sore and worn, they will be easier. Very much a do-what-you-can system.

I often think I should get H to film me sometime, just cause I think people would find it funny to watch.

I do. My normal schedule for eating is I don't eat before noon most days. I try to workout at home around noon, and then eat right after. Yesterday, I was a bit late on that, so I worked out around 1, 1:30 then ate at noon. Had a small helping around 4, then systema, home at 8:30 and had a small dinner then.

On Tuesdays and Thursday, when I'm in the office, I don't eat during the day. Sometimes I just can't get through--energy of hunger levels or my coworkers are going out somewhere and I want the social interaction--but that's usually Thursdays. I almost always completely my Tuesday fast.

Which means I get up early, go to the gym, lift weights, and then don't eat until dinner. It's usually a sizable dinner, but not a complete gorging. I have coffee during the day, and started back on the BCAAs at gym time and during the fast. When I go back to running after work, I'll eat before I run. I usually have some fruit and nuts or a protein shake around 4:00 or 5:00 and then run at 6, 6:30. I don't like going for a 4-6 mile run after 20 hours of not eating.

Monday:
    12 minutes heavy bag work; 2 minutes on, 1 minute rest
    Evil 8 @ 85#, 10:19
    10 minutes hooping

Systema in the evening.

Tuesday:
    Squats and Rows (which sounds a lot like Shots and Hoes....)
    Squat: 45x8, 135x8, 225x8, 275x8,8,8
    V-grip row: 280x10, 10, 10
    Leg extension: +45sx 10, 10, 10
    Lat pull down: 180x10, 10, 9
    EZ bar preacher curls: +0x10, +20x10, +40x10

The leg extension machine was interesting in that it required plates and each leg moved independently. Never used that one before, but I liked it. Legs were pretty jelly after finishing that workout. Which goes to show how weak my squats are. 275 was tough, but I was benching 365...so out of balance.

Jaer
    thinks he will be sore tomorrow!

Merk likes this.
  5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Days like today are hard to figure out: I'm a little sore, but not walking silly sore. So what do?

Part of me things bang out something hardcore like a punisher workout or something else really intense. The other part of me thinks to keep it on the easier side, a gentle run with some body weight stuff every so often. My running buddy calls those "My Daddy didn't love me!" workouts. When we would go trail running, I'm make us stop evey mile to bang out like 20 push-ups, and all the whole he's be saying through his gasps for breath, "Dude, your dad loves you! You don't need to do this to yourself to win his approval!"

I don't actually have daddy issues, just FYI, but always found his way of bitching amusing.

I'll figure out my actual workout later. I figure I'll err on the side of being a badass and push myself through something stupid.

I also figure I should add some level of accountability back into things, so here's a mirror picture from this morning:
    [​IMG]

Light isn't the best and I need to clean the mirror. However, I think it shows improvement, if you'd seen any of my old pics. Some lines showing where the abs would be. More definition around the shoulders and arms.Wider lats or maybe just actual lat lines versus just a torso blob. Still too much droop in the stomach, but that's what I'm focusing on fixing now.

Jaer
    isn't planning on regular update photos, but figured there should at least be one at some point.

dejavued and Merk like this.
  6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Looking strong!

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! Now I just need to look lean....

Yesterday, I combined ease with intense so as not to get too sore.

It's a 7-minute tabata workout, so it got the heart pumping and breath going, but nothing in it was particularly difficult. I like that as a quick go to. I could probably do two rounds of the same thing. I like how it tells you which move is coming up, too.

Systema last night.

Today, Deadlifts and Presses
    DL: 135x5, 225x5, 315x6,6,8 (might need more warm up cause the second and third sets were easier than the first)
    Bench: 225x10,10, 6+2 (triceps were like NOPE!)
    Lying leg curl: 125x10, 10, 8 (kind of quick curl up, slow lower)
    Standing Arnold OHP 20sx12, 30sx10, 40sx10, 50sx5 (testing for weight; I think 45s next time)
    Rope Triceps Push-Down: 90x12, 10x12, 110x12 (heavier next time)
    Treadmill: 7:00 minutes

Arnold OHP is when you press the DB overhead, bring it down, and touch the DBs in front of your chest. Haven't done in a long time, so was testing for a good weight.

My treadmill work was 2:00 @ 6, 1:00 @ 3, 2:00 @ 6, 2:00 @ 3. Seemed a nice way to end.

This weekend is the return of Guy's Weekend, where a bunch of us go up to the Poconos to drink, eat too much, and play board games. As we've gotten older, we've gotten a bit healthier in our consumption. It's over consumption, no doubt, but not on the same scale as previous years--though it has been a few years since we've done it, so I guess some people might go wild.

I plan on doing at least one run (my running buddy and I started doing that a few times ago, just cause it helps us feel better) and maybe some body weight work. Got to put those extra calories to good use!

Jaer
    isn't sure what tomorrow's workout will be. Depends on if the DLs have him super sore.

Merk and macdiver like this.
  8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You look like you have a lot of muscle in your photo. What is the measurement of your biceps? They look pretty big.

Have a great weekend.

Merk likes this.
  9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Looking good. Definitely see a lot of definition

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Flexed bicep is 17 inches. I'm not about to measure my waist. Not after my weekend.

That I did!

Many a beer was drunk and much junk food consumed. My running buddy and I did a pretty hilly run Saturday morning after breakfast. We ran down to the lake (which given the name of the road that circles the lake, I believe to be Lake Harmony), and actually took a plunge. It was COLD! By the time we walked in to where it was deep enough to jump in, legs were a bit numb. Jumping in was a shock! By the time we walked out, legs were stinging!

And then we warmed up in the 80 degree air and did it again. This time I stayed in the water longer, with just my head up. I stayed that way about a minute or so and really worked on controlling my breathing from the panicked heavy breathing to restoring controlled breathing. It's a very Systema thing to do to work on controlling breathing in adverse conditions.

The run back was a little harder on my feet, them and my vibrams now being wet, but it was so warm and sunny and uphill that the cold-plunge was never an issue. It was actually very invigorating.

Most years at this Guy's Weekend, we all spend a lot of time playing board games and watching movies--with the occasional chilling in the hot tub. The weather was so nice this year, a bunch of us spent most of Saturday on the patio. It was super relaxing to do the run to the lake, cold plunge, run back, get in the hot tub, then sit in the sun for hours.

Now I just need to eat healthy and drink lots of water.

Jaer
    has been known to gain around 8 lbs over these weekends. So much salty food!

dejavued likes this.
  11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lots of meetings this week, so I got up an hour early to hit the gym so I could make the meetings on time. Usually I work form home Wednesdays, but I'll be in the office tomorrow, so I guess another gym workout tomorrow morning, too.

Squats and rows:
    Squats: 135x6, 225x6, 295x8, 8, 8 followed immediately by 10 burpees
    V-grip row: 280x8, 10, 10
    Individual Seated Leg Extensions: +55s x 10, 10, 10
    Lat pulldown: 180x10, 10, 10
    EZ-bar preacher curls: +50x8, +40x10, 10

There were 25s on the EZ-curl bar, so I just tried it. Little too heavy for my desired reps.

Jaer
    is fasting out all the bad things he ate over the weekend.

#151 Jaer, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Merk likes this.
  12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You moved a lot of weight! :bow:

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Going back a few weeks to your strength training and running post.

This article popped up in my Google news feed. While Popsugar dumbed down the workout routine for their target audience, the base recommendation of deadlifts, hang cleans, single leg squats plus some upper body stuff 3 days per week with 3 days of running is solid stuff.

A Trainer and Marathoner Shares the Ultimate Strength-Training Program For Runners

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the article.

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last week was a bit crazy busy, but I did get in a Wednesday morning workout, my normal Thursday workout, and I did a run on Friday at the local park, and during that run, I hit the life course fitness area, so 3 rounds of 8 pull ups, 15 push-ups, and 5 step-ups (per leg) during a 3 mile run.

Saturday, lots of yard work.

Then on Sunday, I ran Lums pond with my running buddy. It's been a couple years (actually, might be more like 3 or 4...) since we ran the loop there. 6.24 miles at a slow-ass 13.33 min/mi, but we barely walked at all, so I'm proud of that. It's probably been over a year since I did more than 4 miles. Oh, just checked my run keeper: 5 miler Oct 6, 2016. And even that was an outlier on distance. Apparently most of mu runs have been 1-3 miles with the occasional 4-5 all the way back to Dec 2015, when I did the half marathon. Oy!

Well...that actually makes me feel better about my crappy running! I didn't realize I was THAT out of practice.

Squats and Rows this morning
    Squats: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x8, 8, 8 followed immediately by 10 burpees
    superset with BW full squats 8, 8, 8
    Individual Seated Leg Extensions: +65s x 10, 10, 10
    EZ-bar preacher curls: +40x12, 10, 8+1
    10 minutes of intervals on the treadmill.

Feeling like I got a right ass-kicking from that workout. If the weather is nice, though, I plan on running after work, too. Probably 4 miles.

Jaer
    is loving this warm weather!

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! I feel like that confirmed most of thought process I had when developing my own program. I could use a little more explosive work and body-weight stuff, but I think I can work that in on my M, W, F workouts.

Jaer
    enjoyed adding the extra work to his Friday run. 10/10, would ride again.

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tuesday night:
    Ran White Clay Creek State Park, my 4.3 mile loop. At about 2.5 miles, my left quad got really tight and I had to walk a little bit for it to loosen, but I finished strong. Even with that walk (and a short walk at the turn-around for some Powerade), I finished with an average 11:08 pace. I felt great during the run (yeah, even with the tightness), and I was still going strong at the end. Strongest at the end, I'd say!

Wednesday:
    Came in to work for a couple meetings, so I lifted in the morning. I think it was something like this

T-bar row (slow): T-bar +70x12, +80x12, +90x12
    Cable flies: 60x12, 70x12, 80x12
    super set with cable reverse flies: 55x12, 60x12, 12
    Decline crunch (with twist): 12, 12, 12
    superset with BB OHP 100x12, 12, 12
    5 minutes on the rope pulling machine
    20 minutes on the elliptical

Systema at night

Today, Deadlifts and Presses
    DL: 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x6, 225x12
    Bench: 225x12,10, 9
    Seated leg curl: 130x12, 150x10, 12 (not as much trouble walking after these; are lying curls better?)
    Standing Arnold OHP 45sx12, 12, 11
    superset with DB stiff leg DL: 45x10, 10, 10
    Rope Triceps Push-Down: 130x12, 140x12, 12
    Clean and Press: 95x5, 8, 8, 8
    Treadmill: 12:00 minites (2 minutes at 6, 1 at 3)

I started getting up earlier to get to the gym earlier, so my workouts have gotten longer.

I tried for a second set of 365 on the DL, but I just was not feeling it and did not want to hurt myself. I had a hard time getting to sleep last night--maybe finally fell asleep around 2:00 and was up again by 6:00--so I wasn't going to force myself to lift heavy. I, instead, did light and many reps.

Jaer
    is still going strong!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes you are!

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Nice run and dead lifts

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Friday...what did I do Friday? I think I did some hooping...

Oh yes!
    Hooping 7 minutes, 15 burpees, 8 pulls ups--that circuit x3
    10 minutes heavy bag

Saturday
    Systema
    4.5 mile hike with H

Sunday
    7.8 mile run with friends
    My normal running buddy and I met up and put down 4.4 miles before we were joined by another friend who is just getting back into running. And then the 3 of us put down an addition 3.4 miles, which none of us expected to do.

Monday
    Hoop (didn't time, but probably about 4-5 minutes) & 10 pull-ups -- x3
    Systema at night

Tuesday
    Squats and Rows workout
    Squats: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x8, 8, 8 followed immediately by 10 burpees
    --superset with BW full squats 10, 10, 10
    --followed up 90 lb farmer's walks as I did a loop around the gym with the 45s plates as I debarred them.
    Individual Seated Leg Extensions: +70s x 10, 10, 10
    EZ-bar preacher curls: +40x12, 12, 12
    --super set with mountain climbers x30, 30, 30
    Run the rack curls: 40x6, 35x6, 30x6, 25x6, 20x6, 15x6
    10 minutes of intervals on the treadmill

This morning
    T-bar row (slow): T-bar +90x12, +100x12, +110x12
    Cable flies: 80x12, 12, 12
    --super set with cable reverse flies: 50x12, 12, 12
    Decline crunch (with twist): 12, 12, 12
    --superset with BB OHP 100x12, 12, 12
    5 minutes on the rope pulling machine
    15 minutes on the elliptical

Systema tonight after work.

Jaer
    would love to run after work tomorrow, but he's got a family dinner thing. Maybe Friday?