1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

So, had a few issues last week, mainly that I had some...well, I would say busy work days, but that wasn't the issue. Maybe I should say distracted work days. Both Friday and Monday I was late digging in to real work. ADD days. And when I have those days, I feel bad taking the time to do workouts at lunch and breaking the momentum I finally achieved. What I should do is just say "I'm unfocused; I'll workout now and come back with focus" because I always do have more focus after my workouts.

But that would require focus enough to think that. But maybe now that I've had that realization, it will be in my mind to do so.

But end result was, I didn't do my squats Wednesday, Friday, or Monday. And upon careful consideration, I don't want to do them today. It's not that I think it is a bad program, but I'm not excited about it. I'm not enjoying it. It's challenging, but not enticing.

I did hit systema Wednesday, Saturday, and Monday, though, so that's good, and I lifted yesterday:

9/26
    n-grip pull down: 240x6, 250x6, 260x5+1, drop set to 160x6
    v-bar row: 250x6, 260x6, 270x6
    low v-bar to neck row: 150x8, 160x8, 170x8
    alt db curls run the rack 40x8, 30x8, 20x8, 15x8, 10x8

Another 10lbs on all reps of the pull downs and the v-bar row. I switched the rope attachment out because it was getting hard to hold; the tip that stuck out beyond the knot kept hitting me in the head mainly due to my nonfunctional left wrist being nonfunctional and not bending the rope away from my head. I was low on time, so I just did a run-the-rack on DB curls.

I typically do a drop set after my rows (I realize I've been erroneously calling them supersets) because I feel like at the super high weight like that, I'm not getting 100% muscle activation, and the drop set and hold really fire those other muscles the heavy pull doesn't hit as much. However, when pressed for time, that's an easy thing to drop.

I'm not "officially" weighing and measuring until Friday, but I stepped on the scale last night before dinner--"Why before dinner? You are supposed to do that first thing in the morning for the consistent weighing?" It was a fasting day (yeah, I still intermittent fast), so it was still before I ate anything--and I was up another few pounds. Creeping close to 240 now.

Given the strength gains, this is not too surprising. Given my calorie intake, it kind of is. I blame the pumpkin beer. I'll need to tell H we're done drinking for a while.

The weight gain plus the not liking the squat routine has me rethinking my MWF. The weather got cool, so I want to get back to running, which means making that a priority. I still want to work on my cardio, so I am revisiting the old Punisher workout I used to do, which I enjoyed and found challenging.

As a reminder:

Which amounts to

Jumping Split Squats - 4 sets x 20 reps

Burpee - 3 sets x 15 reps (super set with mountain climbers)
    Mountain Climbers - 3 sets x 30 seconds

One Arm Push Up - 3 sets x 5 reps (each side) (super set with diamond PU)
    Diamond Push Up - 3 sets x 12 reps

Handstand Press - 3 sets x 8 reps

L Sit - 3 sets x 10 - 15 seconds

30-60 seconds rest between sets.

I recall I used to time the entire workout, and had a couple modifications (I couldn't 1-arm push-up, so I did it with 1-arm on a ball; I can't hand-stand push-up, so I did pike push-ups). I think I might remove the handstand press for pull-ups, because this workout doesn't have anything for the back, and it already has pushing work and it's not like I don't get shoulder work from my Thursday workout.

Jaer
    just needs to get his diet under control.

#122 Jaer, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It's really something how so much of this "fitness thing" is between our ears. Jaer, we all go through our ebbs with it.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

That is true! Part of me is like "the 20-rep squat is challenging and hard, which makes it good! Do it!" And another part of me is like, "I don't want to do that! I want something that is more active!"

At some point, I just need to do what I enjoy. I'm enjoying a workout? Don't do that program. I want to run? Work on getting that back. I like my martial arts? Do a program that supports that.

I'm not trying to compete in anything, so I don't have specific goals in there. I'm working from this mindset:

1. My Tuesday/Thursday plans are working for me timingw-wise and program-wise. Keep them.
    2. I want to be in better running shape--so make running more of a priority.
    3. I still want to have a program for my work-from-home days, but I want something that's more fun and better supports my other goals (improved cardio and "functional" strength for systema). The Punisher Routine was good for that. I don't think I need that to be every MWF, though.

If I was in contest/race prep, maybe I would need to force myself to do something I wasn't enjoying to meet my goals, but that just isn't necessary for me at the moment. Hell, even my weight goals are more about running (running is so much easier on the bottom side of 220 than the top of 230!) than carrying that much about the number on the scale.

The number around the waist...that one I have concerns about.

Jaer
    doesn't need to do anything extreme. ("Wait, that Punisher workout isn't extreme?" No, it's for fun! "You have issues, dude." Noted.)

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What do you mean by contest, Power Lifting? There probably is a 5K or 5 miler for Thanksgiving day in your area, since that is a popular day for a road race. I myself am debating about registering for a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving morning.

The number around the waist...that one I have concerns about.

You are young now, so it is not an urgent health issue, but I think that having a waist over 40 inches increases risk for heart disease. Judging by how much you lift, you have a lot of muscle, so you probably are not carrying as much fat as your think.

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Any kind of contest, power lifting, body building show, or race. Basically, I have no other goals/motivators other than what I want: I don't need to do any particular style in order to get to a goal (certain weight lifted, certain BF, certain speed/distance), so I'm going to make sure I'm doing what I like.

Young? At this point, I'm 37. I realize that still makes me the baby around these parts, but age-wise, I'm getting to the point where I do need to worry about heart health. Heart issues run in the family, and as you noted, I carry my fat in the "bad place" for such things. I do think I have bulgy abs, not a sucked-in concave core like old-school arnold, that's for sure! But I would like to see that number under 40 before I'm over 40.

Wednesday, 10/4
    I didn't do the Punisher workout. My dad was stopping by the house to pick up some yard waste I accumulated from hacking down bushes to make way for the backyard changes next year. Between the time it took to help him load the pick-up and the waiting for a second trip (the original plan was he was simply stopping by on his way home, but he dumped the first load and came back), I didn't want to have his return interrupt by workout, and I couldn't not help him to do a workout, so I just skipped it.

I did run 2.5 miles at the end of my workday at ~12 minute pace. First half, feet hurt. Second half, legs and cardio were straining.

Systema that night, but it was not a very energetic class. Sometimes I come away dripping; other days, I barely break a sweat.

Thursday, 10/5
    Bench: 45x10, 135x8, 225x6, 275x6, 295x6, 315x5 (3 plates!)
    Incline bench: 225x6,6,5
    seated OH neutral-grip bb press 115x6, 6, 6
    BW dips 12x3

Tris were toasty enough--and again I was running a little late despite having done all my leave-quick prep the night before--so no direct triceps work.

I couldn't sleep last night. Was hanging out with friends (had a couple victories: one friend brought a bag of mini-reese's cups; I had two and thought, that's it, only two. The friends killed the bag, but I had only the two. Host's wife bake cookies. I thought, I'll have two. Only had two!), got home little before 11, was tired--and then when I finally got in bed, wide awake. Got up around 1:30. Went back to bed around 3:30--and once again as soon as I was lying down, wide awake. Nothing in particular on my mind, no stress or worrying thoughts. Just not tired. I know I dozed between 5:30 and 6:00. I know I dozed between 7:00 and 7:20--but other than that, not much.

I even had less caffeine than normal yesterday (not that I'm usually affected by caffeine). Usually have 3 cups at work and a few (anywhere from 2-5!) Coke Zeros when hanging with friends. Yesterday? Two cups, no Coke at all.

Friday, 10/6
    Got up at 7:20, had a protein shake, and went for a run. 2.5 miles ~12:20 pace. Weighed myself, waited an hour, took my measuremens, had breakfast. My idea for a new plan was wake, shake, run on MWF (might get my brain in the right spot for work in the morning, too) and then Punisher workout over lunch. Right now, I feel totally normal, energy-wise, so that might still be a thing.

Friday Weigh-In & Measurements (after run, so that might affect the numbers from sweat out and muscle pump)
    Weight: 236.0 ( +.9) - that's down a few from the unofficial Tuesday evening check
    Height: 70"
    Wrist: 7
    Chest: 48 (+.25)
    Shoulders: 55 (+1)
    waist: 42 (-.5)
    bicep (flexed): 17 (+.25)
    Forearm (flexed): 13.25 (+.25)
    Hips: 44 (+1.5)
    Thigh: 24 (+.5)
    calf: 16 (-.25)
    neck: 17

Everything is pretty much moving is the right direction other than the weight. Obviously this is a lean-mass improvement (my calculators are suggesting my BF went down 1% -- equates to that something like 1lb fat loss, 2lbs lean gained? -- if I manage to get the calories right, I should be able to make that 2-3 lbs fat dropped, nothing gained.

I don't think I need need to adjust my calorie intake given I'm increasing my work load by adding the running and switching to the Punisher workout. I think that might put me in the deficit I'm looking for.

Jaer
    is going to see Ballet-X (ballet with a modern dance twist?) in Philly tonight. H saw it a few years ago and enjoyed it. Should be a good time--if he doesn't fall asleep during.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Bench: 45x10, 135x8, 225x6, 275x6, 295x6, 315x5 (3 plates!)
    Incline bench: 225x6,6,5

Now that is impressive. :bb:

I don't think I ever saw anyone at the gym bench 3 plates on both sides on the flat bench press, or even 2 plates on the incline bench press. Yikes you are strong.

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

So where's Jaer been?

Funny turn of events--the Thursday before last, my company went 100% remote as some construction/repairs were being done on the office. We knew it was coming. We didn't know it was going to be effective immediately.

I usually work from home M, W, F, so it's not THAT huge a difference, right? Well, it's a big culture switch, and I usually lift at the gym Tues and Thurs morning, so that hasn't been happening. And I usually fast on Tues and Thurs while in the office, and that hasn't been happening. And I got sick last week, and I'm still hacking shit up. So it's been a hell side-track from my fitness journey since my last post.

I'll just say I got my Punisher workout time down to little over 20 minutes, so I had huge improvement there, and then.... nothing.

Jaer
    feels better, but is still coughing and has reduced lung capacity. Not sure whether he should push himself to do something, or wait until it's all clear. Usually he's not sick for this long.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Hope you feel better soon!

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Hello, John Stoners!

Huh...I never considered that pun before....

After 6 weeks of working from home 100% of the time, I was back to the gym this week! Yup, no gym at all, cause my weekends were busy and I can't easily pop out to the gym to do a workout during the day.

I did, however, keep up with my Punisher workout. On Sunday, I think I was down to 17:47, which is my fastest since I've taken it back up. Yesterday, however, I was up to 19:27, but I think some of that can be attributed to hitting the gym Tuesday morning and my arms being a little more tired.

And I was hitting systema in there, so I haven't been a complete lump. Just mostly lumpish.

11/28 (don't have my notes, so from memory)
    Neutral grip pulldown: 120x8, 180x8, 240x8, 260x8, 280x6, 300x0 -- I was surprised I could still hit those numbers, so I decided to see if I could max the pulldown, but nope!
    Bench press: 135x8, 185x8, 225x8, 275x8
    V-grip row: 220x8, 240x8, 260x8
    Dips 12, 12, 12
    superset it back ext 10, 10, 10

11/30
    Hex-bar deadlift on a box: 45x8, 135x8, 185x8, 225x8, 275x8, 315x8
    Lunge, Lunge, Squat 45x6, 65x6, 85x6
    High decline crunch: 12, 10, 9 +1
    superset in hanging decline bench leg lift 6, 6, 5 + 1

DLs were on a step so that the bar could go all the way to the ground, rather than the plates touching the ground.
    Lunge, Lunge squat = 1 rep is a right step back lunge, left step back lunge, then a full squat

I haven't done direct leg work in months, I think; man my quads were worse when I left the gym. Fine now, but I have a feeling DOMS are going to be killer tomorrow or Sat.

Diet hasn't been too bad recently, but those first few weeks of work from home were pretty bad. I've switched over to a much more veggie-full plan in the past couple weeks. I might do measurements tomorrow. I'm sure I'm in a slightly worse spot, but I think my cardio is a bit better.

I ordered new vibrams. My running shoes I got a few months back are comfy and good for lifting, but I still get foot pain. I think I need to got back to absolute minimal running again. And if my feet still hurt with these, then we know O just need to drop 10-20 pounds before I can run comfortably!

And in completely unfitness related news, I spent National Novel Writing Month (November) finishing the draft of my novel! H read it, we made some adjustments, and now I've got some copies out to other readers for feedback. I'm plowing on through with this one!

Jaer
    has been tending to a sick H this week (since last Friday with little improvement). Sinus infection and lung issues; she's on antibiotics as of Tuesday. He's also been sleeping on the pull out in the office cause the snoring is so bad!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wishing H a full and speedy recovery.

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's been slow, but she is making gradual process.

Punisher Workout yesterday: 19:21 I think it was.

Today, gym:
    V-bar pulldown - 180x8, 220x8, 240x8, 260x6
    Bench: 135x8, 225x8, 245x8, 265x6
    Wide neutral-grip row: 200x8, 220x8, 240x8, 260x6 (I think....)
    Dips: BWx12
    Low row to nexk: 100x10, 110x10, 120x10
    Back ext + DB reverse fly: 10sx10, 15sx10, 20sx10

Switched up some grips on the rows and added a little more to the back workout. I feel like I was still a little sore/weakened from the workout yesterday, but overall felt good.

Jaer
    got new vibram feet-gloves. He needs to give them a test run.

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Woke up and ran a mile - 11:04. Decent time, no stop, no pain in the feet. New Vibrams are good! Definitely an improvement over the other shoes.

Punisher workout: 16:57. New Record!!! I had a work call at 1:00. Had planned on starting at noon, but was engaged in an email, so didn't actually get to in until just after 12:30. I knew I needed to be super quick. +10 minutes foam rolling after.

Systema in the evening.

Today:
    Hex bar DL on step: 80x8, 170x8, 260x8 350x8, 170x12 done fast
    Lunge-lunge-squat: 45x6, 65x6, 85x6
    Calf Raises Machine-thing: +65#, 12, 12, 12
    Decline crunches with twist: 12, 12, 8
    superset with leg raises: 6, 6, 5

There are two hex bars at the gym, and the smaller (normal sized) one was already set and had a reistance bad attached to it (I assume one stands the the band, and it would add resistance as you stood). No one was around it and it was still there, unused, when I left the weight area 30 minutes later, so some jerk just left his weights racked and in the middle of the floor. I assume that person injured himself and had to make a quick exit.

So I was left using the bigger bar, which was labeled as 80lbs (good to know off the bat it was heavier than the one I was used to). When I finished my 350 set, one guy (who is often there when I am; we do the cool-nod and have exchanged some pleasantries in passing) came over to me and says something like "That was impressive. I've never seen anyone pull that much like that." I said, oh thanks, and he says, "That one's all you!"

I assume it was a combo 3 plates per side, on the massive hex bar that no one ever uses, and me being on a step up so I could get the bar down to my feet level. Maybe it looked super impressive. So that was cool.

Diet has been solid. I'm currently being careful about eating a lot of carbs, but mainly bread products. Potatoes and rice and stuff have been more my go to, but also being aware of that. Been back to lots of big salads with chicken for lunches kind of thing. Think it's going well.

Jaer
    will do a weigh in and measurements on Friday, see how far he's off from the weeks of working from home.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Congrats on your Punisher workout PR!

15. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

350 deadlift is impressive

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Yeah, not bad for just getting back in to deadlifts after months. I think next time I'll do my usually +10 and +20 reps to look all kinds of badass.

Punisher workout today: 17:57 -- and I had a bathroom break after the burpees. Still a bit sore from yesterday, so not too surprised I was slower.

Measurements:

Weight: 230

Height: 70"
    Wrist: 7
    Chest: 47
    Shoulders: 55.5
    waist: 41.5
    bicep: 16.75
    Forearm: 13.25
    Hips: 43
    Thigh: 23.5
    calf: 16
    neck: 17

Down a tad in the chest and in the waist, so I guess that's movement in the right direction, but not too much change since Oct, right before the work from home. So I'm back to about where I was then.

Full disclosure: I was fully fasted for these measurement. I usually do my E-S-E IF on Tuesday and Thursday (to avoid eating at the office, which is incredibly helpful this time of year!), but last night after work, I went to my parents' house--my dad and I are working on a woodworking project for H's Xmas present--and I didn't get home until 10 p.m. I wasn't about to eat dinner right before bed, so I just went to bed. I was at about a 36 hour fast when I did the measurements--and then had breakfast. I did my workout in the evening, just before dinner (which was just before my shower which was just before this post), so that I had plenty of time to fuel up for the Punisher. Wouldn't want to do that after 36 hours of no eating!

Jaer
    is going to be That Guy who actually loses weight by Jan 1. #Goals