1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Legs are a bit sore, as are my lats and forearms (I can tell the tightness in the forearms is a result of tightness in the biceps, but I rarely feel it in the biceps). That's kind of funny cause I rarely get back or arms DOMS, and I didn't change my routine at all, I just upped the weights.

I did have a little warm-up yesterday that I didn't record. The two lat pull-down machines were in use, so I stepped up to one of the cable machines, grasped the cord (didn't use a handle) and did some one-hand rows (going high above head, then straight to my core, then low to hips) and side twists (cable in hand straight out in front, then twist to one side, bringing arm across body). I didn't even look at what the weight was on the machine--maybe 50?--I just was wasting time. But I did feel some muscles being hit that I don't normally get, so maybe that's a little thing I should add. I don't train a twisting motion much, and I feel like I probably should for better core development.

I'm not sore enough to not do my workout today. I am sore enough to feel like I'll regret this decision tomorrow. :)

I haven't talked about diet much since jumping back in.

The good:
    - I've gotten back to my Intermittent Fasting routine, and it's going well.
    - We're back on a meal delivery system (Hello, Fresh), and the meals are easy and fairly healthy and portioned for two people (regularly 500-800 calories "if prepared as instructed"). Sometimes we even have left overs, which is shocking to me considering how much I can usually pack away in a sitting!
    - We've been eating at the dinning room table like adults these days. I believe I mentioned in the long summer summary that we reorganized the house and moved the TV upstairs. We are no longer just eating in front of the TV every night, which also led to the dishes not getting done in a timely manner. We sit down together at the dining room table, eat, and then I clean up the dishes and put everything away. Keeps the house cleaner, gets the food put away so I can't pick at it all night, and I think it does help reduce the amount I eat by creating mindfulness and making us consume slower.
    - I'm just generally eating less these days. For example, for breakfast these days (when I'm not fasting), I usually have two eggs and 2-3 strips of bacon (today I had 2 strips of bacon and a few slices of left over steak with my eggs). That's down an egg from a few months ago (I made a conscious decision to reduce my egg consumption just to lower calories), and down two eggs from a few years ago (yeah, used to be 4 eggs and potatoes and bacon). I've made little adjustments over the last few months to just have a little less. It's funny that it was easier to do so when not tracking and not looking at numbers. Might I be "too low" some days? Sure. But whatever. I feel fine, and I might be too high other days. Mostly, it seems to be working out without much stressing.

The bad:
    Pumpkin beer season.

Jaer
    was drinking more beer over summer with all the house projects, and that never really let off and now it is pumpkin beer season, and he loves all things pumpkin.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Always a good thing! Sending good vibes for your squats tonight.

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Thanks! Squats done.

20-rep squat, 245#: 1:24
    Clean and press: 65x,8, 8, 8
    super set to chin ups 5, 5, 5
    foam roll: 12:00

I should probably time the whole workout. I rested too long between the sets of cleans + chins, but it was cardio intense.

It also took me a few cleans to get back in form. I forgot to drop into a deep front squat the first few reps. By the end of set 1, I had it again.

Systema tonight.

Jaer
    doesn't feel too jelly legged yet. Walking tomorrow should be interesting.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

9/14

Bench: 45x10, 135x8, 185x6, 225x6 245x6 265x6 285x4
    Incline bench: 185x6, 195x6, 205x6
    seated OH neutral-grip bb press 95x8, 105x7, 115x6
    BW dips: 12, 10, 8
    Rope tri push-down: 140x8, 150x8, 160x8
    followed by a "run the rack" 120x6, 90x6, 60x8, 30x12

285 on the bench! Improvement!

Jaer
    is pretty happy with today's numbers.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Well done sir!

6. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Are you doing high reps straight up in one set with no rest for squat? how much do you rest between exercises and between sets?

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

For the squats, I do as many as I can as quickly as I can. Last time, I did 8-10 with no rest between the reps--down to bottom, up to top, brief pause, down to bottom again. As I get up there in reps, I need a little time between reps; it looks more like this:
    rep 15, pause for 3 seconds at the top
    rep 16, pause for 3 seconds
    rep 17, pause for 4 seconds

Or however long it takes before I feel ready to do the next rep. Keeping the bar on my back the entire time keeps me focused on the work. I take just enough time to catch my breath and let the legs settle, maybe reposition the bar and secure my stance.

As the weight gets higher, I'll need more rest. At some point, I imagine it will take 5 minutes or so to do all 20 reps because I'll only get 3 or 4 reps quickly, and by the time I'm at rep 18, 19, and 20, I'll be resting 10+ seconds between them.

As for the other work, like the clean and presses supersetted with the chin-ups, I rest a few minutes between the sets to let my breathing get back to somewhat normal. I try not to rest between the actual exercises--so I do the last clean and press, put the bar on the ground, take the three steps to my pull-up bar and start chin ups--but some times I need a few seconds to catch my breath. I shouldn't rest more than 30 seconds between exercises.

Shouldn't.

I'm sure I have, because I'm not wearing a watch or looking at a clock. I have an app of my phone for timing things, but it's not prominently displayed for keeping precise time.

The whole workout is pretty quick (at the moment), but that also means it's good cardio, which is the point.

Jaer
    is drinking his preworkout mix now. Will be hitting the iron in 10.

8. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Ah, you seek muscular endurance then. I used to do that in the past until I stalled, so I shifted to moderate weights and longer rests, to gain strength & maybe some mass, through lifting only.

BTW, what app do you use to pace your lifting?

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

It's a free app called Stopwatch and Timer. It's the most basic of functionality: Start, Stop, Reset, and Lap.

9/18
    20 rep squat, 265#, 1:24.
    stiff-leg deadlift 195x10x3
    superset with suspended push-ups bwx10x3

foam rolling for 12 minutes

I didn't go low enough for my first few squats. I need to slow down a bit in the beginning to make sure I'm getting full range of motion. Surprisingly, these leg workouts aren't giving me DOMS. I expected a few more weeks of this routine before I was accustom to it.

Systema last night

9/19
    n-grip pull down: 210x8, 220x80 ,230x8ish (the last two could have been lower...), superset to 2-second hold 100x6
    v-bar row 230x8, 240x8, 250x6, superset to 120x8
    low rope to neck row: 160x8, 8, 8
    back extensions 12, 12, 12
    superset with standing barbell curls 70x10, 80x10, 90x10

Improvement in some way on almost all exercises. I switched pull-down bars just to try the neutral grip, and I liked the feel. Might keep going with that one.

I did not sleep well last night, so I expected to have a crap workout this morning. I feel like I nailed it, though I'm dragging now.

Jaer
    is glad to see the numbers still going up.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

A lousy night's sleep Sunday and a fine workout happened to me. Always a nice surprise.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Indeed! Nice surprises are nice. I was pretty wasted the rest of the day, though. Oy!

And today, a not nice sujprise: I finally got around to weighing and measuring myself--anyone who followed me down in the basement might recall that I am terrible about doing these things. I simply do not remember and never form a habit to consistently do so.

I can't say I'm surprised by the results, but as always, it makes me wished I had done it earlier so I knew how bad I had been a month and a half ago when I finally got my ass in gear and started working out and watching my consumption. I don't think it was too much worse...but it had to be worse.

I am the largest I've been since I've been takening measurements, which has been off and on for about 10 years, according to my spreadsheet.

Weight: 235

Height: 70"
    Wrist: 7
    Chest: 47.75
    Shoulders: 55
    waist: 42.5
    bicep: 16.75
    Forearm: 13
    Hips: 42.5
    Thigh: 23.5
    calf: 16.25
    neck: 17

This puts me at 26-28% BF on a waist girth and military measurements. I'm surprised it's that high--highest on record--because my shoulders and back look pretty darn good. Even in my face, I'm not seeing the chub I usually do at higher BF readings. I do feel big, but more so in the shoulders and chest than all over.

But I can't deny the numbers, and that cannot stand. My weight is much too high (no wonder my running in August was for crap!) and that waist has got to come down.

So what's the plan?

Hold the course for a couple weeks and re-measure. I am already on a new workout routine, and I've been taking steps to modify my eating since August. I don't know that what I am doing isn't already working; I don't have any other data points to suggest it isn't .For now, I don't need to change anything. I'll have to reassess in a couple weeks after I see if any noticeable progress has been made.

I also take a little comfort in knowing that EVERY time I change my workout plan, I gain weight, even if I cut calories back a ton. I'm not sure the cause--maybe just inflammation--but whenever I make a significant change to my workouts, the weight goes up (5 pounds or so) for a week or two, then drops off quickly. I'd say starting the 20-rep squat routine on MWF is a significant enough change for that to happen.

Jaer
    also needs a hair cut. That's like a pound right there. Winning!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yep, the haircut will make a significant difference in your weight and bf%. :lol:

For a number of reasons going back a few months you weren't nearly as active as you normally are, but the past month or so you've been back on track so I'm sure you'll soon see friendlier readings.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You have great measurements. Waist is the only issue. 47.75 for chest is huge, you must have to walk through doorways sideways. :)

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Got it cut over lunch, so we'll see! <fingers crossed>

For sure! I'm not upset or alarmed by the numbers; just a little surprised because of my perception.

Of course, my perception wasn't completely off: I was feeling bigger in the chest and arms, and I am that. I was also thinking the waist was looking a little...um...pudgy, and it is. The real disconnect was that my arms, shoulders, legs, and back look and feel more defined than I would expect at my projected BF%.

I almost feel like I somehow lost fat from the limbs and gained it around the core.

I agree, waist is the real issue. As for walking through doors sideways, the way I'm built--like a barrel--that doesn't help much. :)

Workout done for today.

20-rep squat @ 275# - 1:26
    clean and press @ 75# 8x3
    superset with chin-ups x6x3

foam rolling for 12:00
    "ran" a mile ~12:00 pace

Going to stick with this weight on Friday, because my depth should be better before I say I was successful squatting a weight. The run was pretty pathetic, which is not surprising considering it came after a leg workout. But I we are closing in on my favorite time of year to run, so I want to be better at running in Oct and Nov...which means working on getting better at it now.

Jaer
    feels so much better after that hair cut!

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

9/21:

Bench: 45x10, 135x8, 225x6, 275x6, 285x4, 295x5.5 -- changed the weight progression. I'd say this was harder, and improvement
    Incline bench: 205x6 x3
    seated OH neutral-grip bb press 105x6, 115x6, 5
    BW dips: 10, 8 (?), 10 -- I stopped on the 2nd set an was about to mark 10, but then was like wait, did I do 8 or 10...I think I only counted to 8....
    Rope tri push-down: 150x8, 160x8, 170x8
    followed by a "run the rack" 140x5, 110x5, 80x6, 50x10, 20x 12

Improvement!

Jaer
    has sore arms now. Not very sore, but that they are still sore hours later...tomorrow might be interesting.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Improvement for the win with a special delivery of DOMS arriving tomorrow. :D All seems good!