1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

We're going car shopping tonight to start pricing options out. We're thinking she might try to lease something small and cheap, just so we can be money-conscious now and start planning on me getting a new vehicle (probably an SUV) in the next couple years.

When I was buying a new car, I registered with Truecar.com (just to see how it worked). When I came home from work that night, there were about 40 phone messages from dealers. And the phone messages continued for weeks.:( I didn't use True Car. I dealt directly with a dealer, and think I got a pretty good deal.

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

OK, I'm back. Again. But for reals this time.

Let's see, where did I leave off?

Camping! I borrowed my parents' Trailblazer for the trip, and I'm glad I did: The camp site was up a big-ass hill on a narrow dirt road. We had been told by the people we were camping with that some cars had gotten stuck previously going up there. The Soul probably could have made it cause it sits up pretty high, but being bogged down with all the camping gear--I was glad I had a big SUV. And we'd packed so much stuff the Soul wouldn;t have help it all. It really reinforced that for what we want to do, we do need a mid-sized SUV (not a crossover), and thus we can't afford it yet.

We didn't do too much hiking--H's legs were a bit sore from working out during the week--bu the bathroom was at the bottom of the big-ass hill, so we got a lot of hill walking in. And we did walk down and on the bolder field. What bolder field? This bolder field!

[​IMG]

It's a crazy "road" of boulders that just goes up the hill for a long ways, probably about 100 feet wide or so? It was crazy! And a lot of work to walk on. Very tiring.We didn't go up very high.

I got in Systema Monday and Wednesday last week, and both had me sweating so much I soaked my shirt right through (ew). But I didn't make it to lifting at the gym because on Tuesday I drove H's failing Jetta to work (the car dealership is near my office, and we figured it was safer for me to take it than her to come home after work and get it)--fortunately there were no issues, but I didn't want to add 20 minutes to my trip by going to the gym--and on Thursday, I had to be at the office a little early, and I'm usually a little late when I hit the gym first.

Memorial Day Weekend was a gluttonous affair with food and booze events all three days. :(

I lifted yesterday morning, though, and fasted during the day (all day, so no food until breakfast this morning, about 36 hours).

Tuesday lift:
    Wide Pulldowns: 140x10, 180x8, 200x8
    V-bar rows: 160x10, 180x10, 200x10
    superset with pushups 10, 10, 10
    Low Rope Pull to Neck: 90x10, 110x10, 130x10
    Back extensions 10, 10, 10
    superset with bb curls 40x12, 60x10, 80x8
    Treadmill intervals for 12 minutes

Felt pretty good, and not too sore today (so far).

I plan on getting in a short mid-day workout--I'm thinking Evil 8 and maybe some heavy bag work--and then systema tonight. No reason I shouldn't be able to hit the gym tomorrow morning either, and I might get in a run tomorrow night. After pretty bad April and May representation, I hope to get back into things now and keep it going moving forward.

Of course, all the little trips and stuff in summer make that tough, but I'll do my best!

Jaer
    also did yard work this weekend and destroyed some old junky furniture with a sledge hammer, which was very satisfying and fun and good cardio! He's putting in a storm door and other front-door-related projects this coming weekend. Good times.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

The photo you posted reminded me of a place I camped at in PA once while in college. For various reasons, one of which being the passage of time, yep that's what I'm going with, I'm not sure of the name of the park, but think it's Promised Land State Park.

4. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

:dance:

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

OK, I'm back again, again!

Let's see how quickly I can round up the last couple months:
    • H leased a Honda Fit. She loves it.
    • We went to OBX to have a scattering of the ashes service for my friend who died of a brain tumor back in September. It was a fun trip with a lot of friends who we don't see enough. Bittersweet, to be sure, and we all had a good cry during the on-the-beach service.
    • On the 7-hour drive home from OBX, H and I had a long chat about how house improvements. We've been tossing around plans for a back door (yeah, our house doesn't have one), and she thinks we'll use the patio out back if we have a back door. I keep saying our house isn't that big to walk around--if we don't use it now, we won't use it that much more just because we save ourselves the twelves steps going around the front. This has been a source of contention for years now. Instead of changing the outside and never using it (it went from a door to needing a screened in porch, so a much bigger project ), we should change our current habits and interior living space, and if we start "living differently" then maybe the patio comes into play more.
    • Final decision: Redo the hardwood floors and move some furniture to change habits!
    • Actual project: Redo the whole-damn-everything!
      • There has been water damage to the ceiling in the kitchen for years. Fixing that meant the ceiling needed to be repainted
      • Repainting the ceiling means repainting the walls
      • The kitchen flows right into the dinning room, so repaint the kitchen includes the dinning room
      • The dinning room has a big archway into the living room--the colors from one room to the next need to work together, so repaint the dinning room means repainting the living room.
      • The stairs are in the living room, so might as well repaint the stairs up to the hallway upstairs
      • The storm door has been in awful shape and the molding around the door rottting--we ripped all that way in May, but when we got a new storm door, we realized the doorway is not standard sized, so I needed to custom order a new door--which took weeks to come in.
      • With all the furniture re-arranging, needed to change around the layout of the office and clean out a whole lot of stuff that's been gathering dust for years. Even the bedroom got new pictures and some cleaning out. Just about every room, something changed (for the very-much better)!
    • So where are we now? Rented a sander, sanded the floors, and refinished them July 4th weekend--took 4 days (and weeks of prep!), but so worth it! Walls painted. Pictures rehung in new places. New storm door in. Front door molding, done.
    • We weren't planning on doing the kitchen floor yet, but some tiles broke while we prepped the floors to be sanded, so that's a project for soon.
    • We got rid of some furniture, put out the call to family (my bro, aunt, and parents are practically hoarder) for new furniture, and got most of what we wanted for the spaces. Still have a few more things to get/refinish. Our old coffee table was too big with the sofa we got last year, so we ditched that and got an old steamer trunk that I'm refinishing to look nice in the space. Should be a pretty cool looking coffee table!
    • We moved the TV upstairs into the office so that we stop eating meals in front of the TV and start using the dinning room. We also want to hangout more downstairs in the living room instead of watching TV (H) and playing video games (me) so much. The idea here is if we start chilling in the living room more, we might actually chill on the patio more, and suddenly backdoor becomes worth it.
    • With the TV upstairs, that opens the living room up for more sitting/entertaining space. Looking to get a cool chair and redo an old washstand my dad has in the basement and turn it into a liquor cabinet/wine rack.
    • During that time, I had me week-long conference in Orlando.
    • H went on a half-week trip to OBX with her family; she went after we finished the floors on July 4th, was down the rest of the week. I couldn't go because it was the week before my conference.
    • She went (hadn't been planning on it) because her father's dad passed away right before the family trip and her dad really wanted her to come.
    • Her dad's mother passed away the following week while I was in Florida. I was back in time for the service.
    • Her mother's father pass away last week--she lost all three remaining grandparents in one month.
    • That service was last Friday. We were on vacation last week (just at my parents' VA house), but came back early for the service. We also went later to finish up the house painting and such. What was supposed to be a 10-day vacation ended up being 4 1/2.

And through it all, my diet has been crap (actually, it was crap at the beginning of July when the house was such a wreck we couldn't use the kitchen--take out every night for a week, but the last couple weeks, not so bad), and I haven't hit the gym/systema/running in 2 months. All that house work turned us into crazy beer drinkers. We usually don't keep beer in the house, but damn if we weren't going through cases a week! Have a couple in the afternoon while working, then a few more as we vegged afterwards. The house has been a construction zone for weeks--we got the furniture in two weekends ago before going to VA and the pictures hung and other finishing touches just this past weekend. Still lots to do, but it's comfortable now and finally looks like a finished thing--like you can feel what the room will be like and most of the tools are back down in the basement or in the garage.

It's been a busy, hectic, emotional, stressful summer. But we're coming out of it now. And once we get to the other side, we'll have a completely face-lifted house. We've been here 12 years now, so it seemed like a good time to change it all.

Jaer
    is hitting the gym this week and getting the eating back in line. He should be back here on the regular now, because being regular here keeps me on track with the fitness.

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

My condolences to H, you, and your families. 3 Grand parents in one month. Too sad.

Renovations are tough and even tougher when you are doing all the work yourself.

We had a screen room (and deck) put on 15 years ago. My only regret is that I can't use the screen room in the winter. Seriously it is my favorite room. I'm typing this in there now.

I'm surprised there is no back door and you have to go around to get to your back patio. I don't know the layout of your house but direct access to a patio from the kitchen is very useful for grilling.

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's been rough.

Yeah, it's been rough.

The back door was removed in the initial house renovations because of how much kitchen real estate the door took up. We've had plans for turning the garage into a room and adding a door there since we've moved in, but that is a huge project to even do ourselves. Even then the door wouldn't be right off the kitchen. I think without the screen, H still won't use the patio much--I think that's the bigger issue.

But we're looking to change the layout of the garden next year with the back door in mind, so thinking a few years ahead.

Hit the gym! My last log was 6/8, so almost 2 months off.

Deadlifts: 45x, 135x8, 185x8, 225x8, 245x6, 265x8
    Wide-grip lat pull-down: 140x8, 8, 8
    V-grip cable row: 120x10, 10, 10
    Low rope row to neck: 90x10, 10, 10
    Alt DB curls 20x10, 25x7, 25x10 + run the rack 20x5, 15x5, 10x5
    Treadmill for 9 minutes

Felt good--and awful! I feel weak, and the run the rack made me sick to my stomach! But I know it will come back quickly and the results will be worth it.

Jaer
    is already feeling a little jelly in the legs!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm very saddened to read what H, you, and the family is going through. Seriously tough times and my condolences to all affected.

That's a ton of renovation work and kudos for doing it yourself. There's much of what you did that I wouldn't consider undertaking, especially now that my FIL has passed away.

One comment about the back door and porch/deck, about 20 years ago my FIL and I built one for my house and we get a ton of use out of it. Obviously not in the winter, but weather permitting it's a three season "room".

Regarding your workout, by your standards it wasn't up to par, but for us mortals........:tucool:

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Thanks to you, and everyone, for the condolences. The family is doing well, but it comes and goes in waves.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time considering it if my dad wasn't available to help. He's been working on my bro's house for about 8 years now--and the VA house for 2--so I think he was happy to have a chance to help me out on something and hang out a bit. Since he's over my brother's house almost every weekend, he's quick to drop that and come help me when I need it. So we had if for a few weekends, got most of it done--enough for H and I to finish the rest.

I actually believe we'd get use out of screened in porch. What I find hard to believe is that H thinks to herself "I'd like to sit outside...if only we had a back door and I didn't have to walk all the way around the house." As I said, it's twenty extra steps to get to the patio.

During that car discussion the single reasoning of "it's inconvenient to get to" suddenly also had "I'd need to put on sunscreen" and "the bugs are a problem" -- we always get a lot of flies in the area right around 7:00 p.m., it's weird. The "I'd eat breakfast all the time out there if we had a back door" just doesn't sit with me as the right reason. "I'd eat breakfast out there all the time if it was a screened in porch with nice furniture" seems the more correct reason.

But building a porch becomes a much bigger project than just adding a door. Small steps toward all of that.

HA! Thanks! I just need to remember to come back here and record them!

Last Wednesday: Systema!

Thursday,
    Squats: 45x8, 135x8, 225x8,8,8
    bench: 45x10, 135x10, 225x5,6,3+1 (wow that's awful)
    seated OH bb press 45x10, 95x8,8,6
    Rope tri push-down: 60x12, 80x12, 90x12
    Rope cardio 4:00

Monday: Systema!

Tuesday:
    Deadlifts: 45x8, 195x8, 225x8, 245x8, 265x8 -- same weight as last week, but less rest between sets
    wide-grip pull down: 160x8,8,8 (up 20lbs)
    v-bar row 140x10,10,10 (up 20lbs)
    low rope to neck row: 100x10,10,10 (up 10lbs)
    alt DB curls 20x8, 25x8, 30x8 (didn't get 30lbs last week)

Improvement!

I'll probably miss systema tonight, so I'll try to run some miles this afternoon. Need to work on my running as well as my lifting.

Lifting again tomorrow morning.

As for eating, mostly pretty good. I went to a party on Saturday. Fodo-wise, I didn't do too badly, but there was a lot of drinking involved. Not as bad as last year when I had to crash at a friend's house--this is an annual party where all my online video game nerds friends from World of Warcraft get together.

We've been super busy recently without much time to meal plan or prep, so H signed us up for one of those meal delivery services. We'd done Blue Apron before. This one is Living Fresh or something. It's been good. 3 dinners a week, all planned and sorted, and they come with an nutrition sheet. Last week was all vegetarian meals, I think the highest calorie one was 600 per serving. Last night was burgers, 840 calories per serving "if prepared as instructed." They sent a little jar of mayo to make aioli, but that was only like 1/4 of the jar, so I assume the calories were for just the 1 tablespoon of mayo the recipe called for--higher if you used the whole jar (which I did not!).

Jaer
    is getting back to moderation.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I used to have one of those pop up canapes that came with screen walls which we used for camping. One of those may be a nice solution for a few years. You could also use it for your camping trips. I wouldn't leave it up over winter though.

You are getting back into the swing of things. Awesome.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Hmm. That is a really good idea!

Slowly but surely!

Yesterday was the worst run of the summer...the first run. I did 1 mile, 11:04. Felt pretty good about that. But then I just could not keep up a steady pace after that. I had to to intervals of walking a block, running a block. I think the next 1.3 miles took me about 15 minutes or more. My feet were hurting a little the first mile, but it was my cardio conditioning that wiped me for the rest of it.

But I'll get it back!

Today, lifting:
    Squats: 45x8, 135x8, 225x8 245x8 265x8 (improvement!)
    bench: 45x10, 135x8, 185x8, 225x6,3 (still awful; I thought another warm up at 185 would help. Not so much.)
    seated OH neutral-grip bb press 45x8, 65x8, 85x8
    BW dips: 6, 6, 6
    Rope tri push-down: 90x12, 100x12, 110x10+2

Jaer
    is a work in progress.

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I spent some time this weekend painting the old steamer trunk that has become our coffee table. It required a lot of hunching over to paint. My posterior chain has been tight and sore ever since. Not bad, just enough to make me aware and cautious. As such, no deadlifts today Instead, I changed up my lifting to this:

Bench 45x8, 135x8, 185x8, 225x6, 235x6, 245x6
    V-row 160x8,8,8
    Standing OH DB press 30x8, 40x8, 50x8
    Wide grip lat pull down 180x6,6,6

Slight improvement over last week in some of the weights. Didn't hurt myself. All around decent lifts.

I'm heading down to the VA property Thursday night with a friend. We're helping my dad build the porch. Back Sunday afternoon.

Jaer
    will also be down in VA the following weekend helping with the porch. It's a big project.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Great idea. Get some practice building porches before doing your own. :D

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Right?

The new backyard plan is to move a chunk of the brick patio to the center of the backyard as a sitting area (a backyard pagoda if you will) and then use the rest as a grilling area, and then garden in between. So the wood porch building is kind of a learning opportunity...a bit....

Most of the porch is done. going back down this weekend to put in the support beams to old the roofing over it (it's jacked up now).

H bought a queen-sized sleeper sofa over Facebook from someone and we picked it up on Sunday and managed to stuff it up the stairs. Oy that was a narrow fit. We really thought it wasn't going to make it. The wall got scratched and the floor molding and bedroom door frame are beat the hell up...but at least we have plenty of still-fresh paint to cover it all!

Coworker needed a lift to work today, so no gym this morning. Missing systema this week too. But I'm holding the diet together, and that's the most important part. August is still "get back into a schedule" month. September is when it should all come together.

Jaer
    needs to diagram out the backyard. Planning now. Starting the project in fall. Hoping to have the sitting area built in Spring.

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Didn't gym or systema last week, but did get in a lot of activity building a porch two weekends in a row. So, that's progress! Been more consistent this week, though. So yay!

Monday:
    Ran 1 mile, then walked about .5 miles. Systema at night.

Tuesday: (I think these were my numbers, I don't have my book at hand...)
    wide-grip pull down: 180x8,8,8
    v-bar row 140x10,10,10 (up 20lbs)
    low rope to neck row: 120x10,10,10 (up 10lbs)
    alt DB curls 25x8, 8, 8
    superset with 3-way leg raises (straight out, knee to the right, knee to left = 1 rep), x8, 8, 8

Wednesday: Instead of working out/running at lunch, I cleaned the basement so that my basement workout area is clear for use. Systema at night.

Thursday:
    bench: 45x10, 135x8, 225x6 245x6 265x6
    Incline bench: 145x8, 8, 8
    seated OH neutral-grip bb press 45x8, 65x8, 85x8
    BW dips: 8, 8, 6+1
    Rope tri push-down: 80x8, 100x8, 120x8
    followed by a "run the rack" 100x8, 80x8, 60x8, 40x12, 20x20

And now Jaer describes the totally stupid workout idea he has for September!

OK, so the basement gym is now tool-free (only when I'm not in it! OH!), which means I can use it again. So, this has me thinking about MWF workout plans. I could go back to Insanity vids...but maybe I'll do that a little later in the fall/winter. I think my current cardio would make that a disappointing experience.

Which means doing something ridiculous, like basing workouts off of something like 20-rep squats.

Monday:
    20 rep squat
    3 rounds stiff-leg deadlift superset with suspended push-ups

Wednesday:
    20 rep squat
    3 rounds clean and press superset with pull-ups

Friday:
    20 rep squat
    3 rounds kettlebell swings superset with landmine rows

End with some foam rolling. If/when my cardio can handle it, I'll do a run around the neighborhood before foam rolling.

My Tuesday and Thursday workouts will stay the same, but maybe lower the reps and increase the weight, use those for strength building and the MWF for cardio/endurance and also get in my squats. The idea behind the 20-rep squat workout is to use a weight that is about your 8 rep max and take as much time as needed to get 20 reps. And then keep adding weight. We'll see if I'm adding weight (like 5 lbs at a time!) every time or every week. That should be a leg-punishing, pant-inducing workout, so I'm trying to build off of that starter with some other cardio-punishing lifts.

These seem like pretty simplistic (though not easy!) workouts--nothing too long or complex, so I can handle it during a lunch break--that can help build me back to where I want to be strength and endurance-wise.

I don't plan on this being a long-term plan, but 6-8 week, so through Sept and most/all of Oct, and then assess from there.

If my legs can handle it, I hope to get in a run or two on Tuesdays or Thursdays after work or, perhaps more realistically, on the weekend.

Jaer
    thinks he's going to be gimping around on jelly legs for the first few weeks of Sept!

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

And now I have a new kitchen floor!

Finally, the floors are done. Still plenty of other work to do 'round the ol homestead, but progress is being made.

I think my leg-devastating workouts will be put on hold until next week, though. I had a busy yesterday, so no Monday wokrouts. My father is coming over tomorrow during the day to help me prep for my Fios installation, which is happening Friday as I work from home. I don't think I can squeeze in a basement workout while work is being done in the basement. So the 20-rep squats will start next week.

I did, however, adjust my workout this morning.

wide-grip pull down: 180x7, 200x7 ,220x6
    v-bar row 200x8, 220x8, 230x8
    low rope to neck row: 130x8, 8, 8
    back extensions 8, 10, 12
    superset with standing barbell curls 60x10, 70x10, 80x10

I was shooting for a 4-6 rep range. Getting 8 reps means I am bumping the weight for next time. I felt pretty good this morning, and the numbers were a bit higher than I expected. I think I had a little more momentum in the pull-downs and rows but I definitely try to keep the back stable rather than rocking up and down or back and forth to let the movement add power to the exercise.

Jaer
    hopes his bench numbers are improved on Thursday.

17. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

18. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Thank you!

As expected, no Wednesday lifting, but I am now set to get Fios installed, so that's good.

And I hit systema last night, so I wasn't entirely inactive.

Hit the gym this morning:
    bench: 45x10, 135x8, 185x6, 225x6 245x6 265x4 (not happy with this progress....)
    Incline bench: 185x6, 6, 6
    seated OH neutral-grip bb press 85x8, 105x8, 115x8
    BW dips: 10, 10, 10
    Rope tri push-down: 130x8, 140x8, 150x8
    followed by a "run the rack" 120x8, 90x8, 60x8, 30x8 (or 10, I can't recall and my note pad isn't at my desk)

Some of my Thursday progress is good. Other things, not so much. I feel like adding a little more during the week (the suspension push-ups for instance) when I get my 20-rep squats in place my poke the bear and get the bench numbers moving back up.

Or I'm going to be fatigues and they will come down.

But at least it is something!

Jaer
    has't been eating too poorly, at least.

19. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

We now have fios! It's not much faster than my cable service, but it is cheaper and hopefully I won't have the weird outages they could never seem to pin down.

The guy got it hooked up by like 1, which gave me time to actually do a workout.

20-rep squat: 225
    2-hand KB swing: 70x20x3
    superset with DB rows 40x10x3
    foam rolled about 10 minutes

I should have done some lighter squats to warm up, but I didn't. I will in the future. I cheated myself on my range of movement; should have gotten lower. And I should time my 20-rep squats so I have a metric for comparison. I barely had to pause between any of the reps, so 225 is definitely too low, but if I up it by 10 every time--and actually squat low enough!--I'll reach the "right" weight in a week or two.

I was going to do landmine rows; I only have so many DBs and so DB rows can only progress so far, where as I have plenty of plates. However, I forgot how hard the bar is to grip (the fat end where the plates go), and that makes those rows tough without straps and I keep my straps in my gym bag.

Though, now that I typed that out, I realized my current plan doesn't have me deadlifting at the gym , so I don't need my straps in my gym bag.... OK, landmines are back on the table.

I've been considering making a "strap" of some kind out of rope to give me a thinner handle to do the landmines anyway. But I wasn't going to bother with any of that for today's workout.

More cleaning and house organization to do, but not too much in the works for this weekend. Renn fair on Sunday.

Jaer
    is going to throw some axes.

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

9/11:

20 rep squat, 235#, 1:16
    stiff-leg deadlift 185x8x3
    superset with suspended push-ups bwx8x3

foam rolling for 10 minutes

systema at night

9/12
    wide-grip pull down: 200x8, 220x80 ,230x8ish (the last two could have been lower...), superset to 120x8
    v-bar row 220x8, 230x8, 240x6, superset to 120x8
    low rope to neck row: 150x8, 8, 8
    back extensions 12, 12, 12
    superset with standing barbell curls 60x10, 70x10, 80x10

Improvement in all categories.

Jaer
    isn't feeling too weak in the legs, yet. Was worried that tomorrow might be tough for more squats. But maybe not!