1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Did you shoot teh gunz? :spaz:

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Yeah, and even basal metabolism is just a guess anyway, so basically the "You should eat X", "the calories you ate are Y" and the "your exercise burned Z" are all guesses. It's just a way of finding a baseline and adjusting. Or for me, "I don't want to write down I ate 5 handfuls of cheese puffs, so I'm not eating those."

Yes! Did some skeet shooting (I was the only one who hit, so it made me seem all kinds of impressive), as well as some handguns. Nice to have a space to be able to do so. H liked skeet shooting (her first time), and she liked trying the 22 revolver, which is my father's. It's a good target shooting gun.

Systema last night. Lifting tonight after work. I'm trying to schedule a Fitness Assessment (like what H had) tonight if possible. I'm curious to see the results.

Jaer needs to input his dinner from last night. He had about a cup of some basil gnocchi thing with pinenuts and cream sauce that H made. Can't imagine he'll find that in there, and he's got no clue how much of anything that went into it. This is why tracking sucks.

3. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Why did the logic from the first sentence not apply to the second?

PhillyDude understands... if you were to turn down the food that H lovingly prepared for you based on the bull-shit excuse "I can't eat that because I can't track it," there would probably be hell to pay.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

As every married man knows, Phil you've spoken the truth once again.

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

True.

True.

And True.

Who says you can't find the truth on the internet

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

On the internet, sure. In my journal? Little more surprising!

I could actually turn down the gnocchi thing for that reason, and H would be OK with it, but I had reason not to eat it other than difficulty tracking. The handfuls of chips are unnecessary calorie expenditures (easily tracked, but an "embarrassment" on a cutting food track), the other thing was a nutritious handmade dinner (not easily tracked, but also not the kind of thing I feel I need to avoid to lose weight; I'm trying to keep a realistic, lifestyle diet. After all, I'm just trying to lose some pounds, not compete on stage).

Yesterday was another busy day at work, and a fasting day that...well, didn't go the way a fasting day should.

3 cups of coffee during the day with creamer.

Preworkout drink and then BCAAs during the workout. I was working out at the end of the day, not in the morning as usual on a Thursday. I was later leaving the office that I wanted, so I decided to skip the gym....and lift in the basement. I have yet to create a full workout plan with daily splits and all that, so whether at the gym or at home, I was just going to lift some heavy things at a low rep count (seems the way to go after 22 hours not eating).

Alas, even before I started, I was feeling not-so-motivated and just not into it. Work "stress" I guess.

Bench: 135x6, 225x6, 245x6, 265x6, 285x6
    Chins: BW x 6, 6, 6, 6
    DB OHP: 40s x 8,8; 50s, x8; 65sx7

Benches were slow, especially on the negative. The chins were slow, controlled, and most to full arm extension/dead hang for a moment before repulling above bar. My bar is on my basement rafters and my head goes between the rafters if I go neck-above-bar, so I have to be slow and controlled if I go full bar-to-chest or else I whack my skull. The OHP were also slow, focusing on the negative. The 65s were interesting; I don't recall if I ever did 65s before, and if I had, it might have been seated. Those caused a lot of balance/core issues, which was kind of fun and...well, maybe eye-opening is the right term.

So far so good, right? ~23 hours fasted and a decent, heavy workout?

And then I started eating.

H had made a ratatouille and warmed up some bread, which she had with some cheese. She's kind of vegetarian at the moment. Or maybe it would be better to say we sort of stopped buying meat for a bit. There's plenty in the house, and we're not picky about what we eat. She's just not really making meat.

Well veggies and bread and cheese weren't cutting it, so I pulled out a bag of breaded chicken tenders and had those. I mathed it out while I was prepping it, so I was aware of the intake at the time. Had around a 1,200 dinner. Overall, still under budget for the day but not as much as one might hope after skipping some meals.

Of course, this is one of the things people will say about Intermitten Fasting and how it doesn't work because you end up eating the calories all at once.

However, it's not all bad.
    1. I was still under my MFP "lose weight" budget for the day.
    2. My intake was directly after a heavy (though not intense) lifting session.
    3. The fast creates a different hormonal profile for the day than eating few meals.
    4. I feel like fasting helps me control intake at other times, so there are mental gains as well.

Now, another thing to note is that I'm not technically doing E-S-E fasting correctly.

Brad Pilon, the author and promoter of E-S-E, says that you should eat normally on nonfasting days and then have a typical single meal on fasting days. This means I should be eating about 2k calories per day and the majority of the week's deficit should be across 1 or 2 days. Pilon himself fasts 1 per week when maintaining his weight and 2 times per week when he's cutting.

For me (if MFP math is to be believed, and my metabolism is actually 2,500 per day), rather than having a daily deficit of 1,000 calories (7,000 calories per week, which as we all know should be 2 lbs of fat lost per week), E-S-E should look more like 2,200 across 5 days a week (300 per day, so a 1,500 calorie deficit) and 800 calories 2 days a week (1,700 per day; 3,400 for both days, so a 4,900 deficit which is fair bit shy 7,000, but you also wouldn't be earning more calories by working out).

So why aren't I doing that? Eating more on nonfasting days and eating less on the fasting days?

Well, I just might! I haven't tracked my intake in so long, I'm curious to see how it lands. I am trying to maintain the deficit and reduce my intake, but for now, this is more about seeing what I'm actually eating in a day. I don't think last night was atypical for Thursday evenings (I tend to have better self control on my first fast day). Of course, in Feb with all the eating out and family stuff, who's to say what was typical?

Jaer
    is a math kind of guy. He likes the numbers and the science. The problem is his body doesn't seem to care about the math. "You can't control me with your numbers!" it screams.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you track your body fat with calipers or a Tanita type scale? Maybe you have more muscle than you think, and less fat. Is the metabolism of 2,500 a day of no activity, or does it include the cardio and lifting you do. 2,500 seems low, but I am no expert.

Maybe your body is too used to the intermittent fasting, I always read it is good to confuse your body (with both diet and exercise), and alternate eating routines. Just a thought (though I don't follow my own advice).

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I haven't actually tracked body composition in a long time. I know I'm leaner than I used to be--which is one of the reasons I don't worry too much about scale weight. I believe the MFP estimate of 2,500 is pre-activity. I put in my goal of losing 2lbs a week somwhere, and it shot back a 1,500 daily calorie limit pre-activity, so that seems to jive with 2,500 to maintain and 1,000 per day deficit lose.

Most metabolism calculators estimate my maintenance intake to be over 3k (cause I am a sizable guy), but I gain weight so quickly at that intake level. I know those way over-shoot for me.

Yesterday, my total intake was about 1,200 calories. My estimated exercise burn (between Insanity and systema) was nearly 1,000. I should be lean in no time!

Monday
    Max Plyo Circuit: Kicked my ass
    15 minutes foma rolling
    Systema

Today
    Wide-grip pull-down 120x12, 160x10, 200x8, 240x6, 120x12
    One-arm cable row: 60x8, 70x8, 80x8, 90x10
    superset with Cable upright row with rope attachment 90x8, 90x8, 100x8, 110x10
    BW back extensions 12, 12, 12
    superset with BB curls 40x10, 60x10, 80x7

For my cardio, I used this cool rope machine that had a loop of rope you just pull down on continually. It has different resistances 1 (easiest) to 7 (hardest). So I did intervals.
    1:00 at 6 ( 0:30 rest)
    1:00 at 4 ( 0:30 rest)
    1:00 at 2 ( 0:30 rest)
    1:00 at 6 ( 0:30 rest)
    1:00 at 4 ( 0:30 rest)
    1:00 at 2 ( 0:30 rest)

The machine said I burned 240 calories in 9 minutes, which I don't believe. I read somewhere that 15 calories per minute is the upper limit of what most humans can reasonable burn (burpees, sprints, really fast jumping rope). Above that, you can't even sustain an activity long enough to go a full minute (so your absolute fastest run might be 18 calories per minute, but you'd only last 30 seconds at that pace). Super athlete like Michael Phelps might be going a lot faster in the water than I can, but he doesn't necessarily burn more calories because his body is so efficient at the swim. His absolute max effort produces speeds far greater than mine, but both our max efforts burn similar calories per minute--or so this article said. Though, I think the article might also have said that only highly trained people could get to that kind of max output, so I might actually max out at 16 or 17 calories per minute, where as Phelps can reach an 18 or 19 calories-per-minute pace.

Interesting article. Wish I had bookmarked it.

Anyway, I liked the rope machine and I certainly felt worn in places in my back, arms, and chest that I usually don't feel, and it got me breathing hard. I'll be sure to add that to my cardio rotation.

Jaer
    does vary his intake. His weekends are so gluttonous they undo the progress he makes during the week.

#68 Jaer, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yeah, 240 calories in 9 minutes does not seem doable. It's a shame that so many gym machines are inaccurate because they give people who don't have the knowledge that you do incorrect feedback about what they're doing and from what I've read the error is almost always to the high side.

At least once per week I've been doing heavy rope stuff using a real rope looped around a stationary post. It's a solid workout that, like you said, involves various body parts and gets the heart rate going. I'm not familiar with the machine you wrote about, but you mentioned back, arms, and chest; if you stay in a squat-ish position, not necessarily as deep as thighs parallel to the ground, you can also add a lower body component to the "fun".

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I stayed in the proper systema form, which is hips slightly forward, slight bend to the knee. I wasn't in a low horse stance, but definitely had a leg element to it.

Max Cardio Conditioning today. Felt like a I crushed it, rather than it crushing me. It wasn't easy, but I stuck in longer and harder than last week, I think.

Systema tonight.

Jaer
    is now hungry. So he will eat.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Workout yesterday morning:

Squat and a half: 45x8, 95x8, 145x8
    Leg Press: sled +90x8, +180x8, +270x8, +360x8, +450x8, +560x8, +450x8, +360x8, +270x8, +180x8, +90x8, +90x4 (right leg), +90x4 (left leg)
    Leg Curls: 110x8, 125x8, 140x8, 140x8 (single leg, alternating)
    Treadmill: 10 minutes
    0 - 1:00 @ 3
    1:00 - 2:00 @ 5
    2:00 - 300 @ 7
    3:00 - 4:00 @ 3
    4:00 - 5:00 @ 5
    5:00 - 6:00 @ 7
    6:00 - 7:00 @ 5
    7:00 - 8:00 @ 7
    8:00 - 9:00 @ 5
    9:00 - 10:00 @ 3

Legs are a little sore today.

Squat and a half, if you're wondering, are when you squat, come up half way, go back down, then all the way up. I was doing these at a slower pace, and going ass-to-grass low.

Yesterday was a fasting day, too, but then we had another happy hour for one of the leaving directors (not my boss; that's next week). So dinner was some apps and some beers and a chicken sandwich.

Tonight, going out bowling with some friends. Likely eating out again, and more beers. #ThisIsWhyI'mNotRipped

I recall reading an article with a title something to the effect of "If you want to be ripped, sometimes you have to be an asshole."

Now, they were being a little over-dramatic with saying asshole, but the point was, you have to become the person who turns down showing up at things and doesn't hang out with friends. So I'd have to skip happy hours and going out with friends--cause I certainly don't have the willpower to not pick at the nachos or cheese fries that the group gets. So I'd have to miss the event entirely.

Yeah, I'd prefer the social life. Just like with budgeting money to afford the social life (cut costs in one place to have the funds for good times elsewhere), I budget my eating during the week to afford the social life.

Though I will say that I increasing feel like I look fit. I know I've got a bit of body dismorphia. I'm a big guy. I'm not tall, but I'd wide, broad, thick, what-have-you. I don't usually feel like I'm someone you'd look at and think "That dude works out." or "That guy is strong/fit/athletic." I feel like mentioning that I lift or run or whatever would make people think "Really?" Or I use to. That's something I've noticed more in the past 6 months or so--I now look at myself and see that about me. I know most of my friends think it weird that I don't see myself that way, cause they all do, but we are usually our harshest critics, right?

So yay for positive shifts in attitude. Or just actually reaching my own standards. I'm not sure what has actually changed on this, my perception of myself or my actual self.

Insanity Vid later today.

Oh, and I suppose I should mention I used the sous vide a couple times this week:
    Venison steak - partially successful. Cooked it for 8 hours. I think I put too much pepper (?) on it. And I put rosemary in the bag, which I think gave it too strong a rosemary flavor. It was almost spicy rosemary, but a little bitter, too. It wasn't bad--just a little over board. It was a sprig from the rosemary in our garden, but it was also an old, slightly dry spring, so that could have been the issue was well. The meat was also less tender than expected for an 8 hour cook. It was enjoyable, but just not everything I expected it to be

Pork chops - I've now done this a couple times, and both times were a success. H doesn't care for pork chops--the texture is never right for her. She likes ham, bacon, sausage, ribs, and pulled pork--but chops and loins, not so much. We did sous vide loins she liked (at least enough to be like, yes this was an acceptable dinner). And now I figured out chops:

Rub with spices (one time was a more mexican spice; second time was BBQ rub). ~ 12 hours in the sous vide at 140. Pull from bone and shred.
    Spread on cookie sheet and cook for like 5-10 minutes at 475, stirring occassionall. This gets the outside of the spreaded chucks super crisp, but keeps the inside tender and juice. The Mexican flavored ones she used in quesadillas, and she really liked it; felt it added a lot to the dish. Second one I just tossed with some BBQ sauce.

Now, one might ask, "Jaer, if H doesn't care for pork chops to begin with, why even buy them?" That's a great question! Thanks for asking.

We actually don't usually buy them. We've tried them enough ways without her caring for it that it's not worth it. However, the local grocery store was having a massive deal on pork, a package of pork chops, pork ribs, and a pork shoulder for super cheap. It was worth it for the shoulder alone. The pork chops were there for my lunches/meat additions to meals and for sous vide experimentation.

Jaer
    has some pork left over for today's lunch.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

#ThisIsWhyI'mNotRipped.

Yep, me too.

Thanks for the laugh

13. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Just catching up on journals... are you doing all of your workouts at the gym now, or are you still lifting at home? I saw some 285 benching back there and thought, "I hope he's got some kind of spotter or a power rack for that."

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Most of my lifts are at the gym these days.

I'm still trying to keep up the working from home and the lifting. I do have bail-bars on my home rig and there are ways to dtich out in the gym, so no spotters.

So it's been nearly a month since I posted. Nope! Just checked: more than a month. Work's been super busy, which has resulted in a few missed systema classes and difficulty carving out time during the day. Think the 60-90 minute videos need to be shelfed for move time-adjustable workouts. Plan on heavy lifting at the HAC on Tues and Thurs and then intense lifting during the week. Kettlebells, complexes, jerks, snatches, that kind of thing. If I have 20-30 minutes, I can bang out a quick routine. I've been in such a mindset of Video-Or-Nothing that I have too many nothing days.

hit the gym thing morning in what is my first attempt at designing a chest/shoulder day:
    Bench: 45x8, 135x8, 225x8, 275x8, 295x2.5, 225x4, 145x6
    Incline Bench: 185x6, 6, 4
    BW Dips: 10, 10, 10
    Neutral-grip shoulder press: 45x8, 65x8, 85x8
    Rope push downs: 120x10, 140x8, 160x4, 120x4, 80x6 40x10

I was a bit sour at not getting the 295 up (and surprised), so I did a little run-the-rack deloading and benching with no rest--bad idea. Never should have done that on the beginning exercise. I think that wore out my tris and shoulders more than necessary. Not a bad overall progression and a good learning experience. Check the ego at the door. You don't get it this week, no worries. Don't do something silly to "punish yourself" or "make it worth it" and have your other lifts suffer for it.

I have my running gear; plan on putting down a few miles this evening. And because I'm doubling up the workouts today, I am not fasting. It's hard enough to lift in the morning and then get to dinner while fasting. Adding in running would be awful for many reasons.

Jaer
    is also training for his bro's wedding and the trip to New Orleans at the end of the month: He and H are having at least one alcoholic beverage every night to build up tolerance and recover. Sure it's counter to the health goals, but it should keep the hangovers to a manageable level.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Now that is training I can endorse :D

#75 macdiver, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Seltzer likes this.
  16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Obviously, I trained too well.

Hello, everyone! I'm back!

Little history over the past few weeks:

- H and I did our New Orleans training, but work made actual training difficult. I'd get in workouts intermittently, and the diet was all over the place.
    - Bro's weeding went well, and I was told I delivered one of the best Best Man speeches people ever heard. Lots of praise, so that was cool.
    - New Orleans was great! Awesome cocktails and great food. Not a lot of partying on Bourbon--cause we don't typically--but we did a bit of dancing in the bars. We had a great time.
    - I got sick as soon as we were home--felt it setting in on the second flight, and sure enough, sore throat and stuffy head for a couple days.
    - Being sick after a vacation is pretty rough for work stuff, especially this being the busiest time of the year as we lead up into conference time. So again, work load prevented me from hitting the gym much, but I did get to systema at least.
    - H also had car issues which stopped me from hitting the gym and systema both before and after her trip.
    - And now were' to this week, and I'm definitely getting my workout groove back!

We'll also be car shopping. H's car died a few times in recent weeks, and even though the mechanic is fairly sure he found the issue (it hasn't been fixed yet), her car is 13 years old and due for new brakes (over-due in fact), and we aren't confident that we won't have more major issues in the near future. Annoying that we spent money on this issue now only to get rid of it, but we think it is better to get rid of it than fix the brakes and keep pushing money into it.

So that's fun...

At least my family has an extra vehicle, so we've been able to borrow a car from my parents, so it's not a huge impact on us now. We can take our time and do some shopping.

So today will be the first time I'm doing any lifting in like a month. Not sure what I'm going to do, but probably some squats/leg work, systema tonight, then back work tomorrow at the HAC, then Wednesday off. I'll probably be really sore by then.

We're camping this weekend. Looks like the weather will be wonderful for it.

Oh, and I got my garden planted: tomatoes, peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, egg plant, and cucumbers.

Jaer
    is hoping for a better crop than last year. Weird weather last year.

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Did some lifts yesterday, just a quick session to get back into it.

Squats: 45x10, 135x10, 185x10, 225x10, 275x10
    "ring" push-ups 10, 10,10
    DB Deadlifts 65#s 10, 10, 10

Legs are a bit sore today, which is just a sign of how far I've fallen.

Got to the gym before work:

Wide-grip lat pulldown: 160x10, 180x10, 200x8
    V-bar row: 160x10, 180x10, 200x9
    Low rope pull to neck: 80x10, 100x10, 110x10
    DB curls 15x01, 25x10, 35x6
    Cardio: 8 minutes

Fasting today.

Jaer
    is like all kinds of weak.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Everything's relative. Your weak ain't too shabby.

19. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Yeah, very true. And I know that. I'm weak for me. I told H this morning: You can officially divorce me. I'm weak. Time to move on. I can barely bench my body weight.

Obviously a joke. Except the barely able to bench my body weight part.

Gym this morning
    Bench: 45x8, 135x8, 185x8, 225x8, 245x3, 3, 225x6
    Incline benh: 135x 8, 5, 6
    BW Dips: 8, 7, 8
    Seated OHP Neutral grip: 45x8, 65x8, 85x7
    Tri pushdown with rope: 70x12, 90x12, 110x12
    L-sit leg lifts into alternating knee lifts: 6 + 6, 6 + 6, 6 + 6

I did that last one as my form of cardio.

Camping this weekend. H has already prepped lot of junk food (she made layered taco dip and brownies....for a camping trip!), so we'll need to hike a bunch to burn through all that. We're going car shopping tonight to start pricing options out. We're thinking she might try to lease something small and cheap, just so we can be money-conscious now and start planning on me getting a new vehicle (probably an SUV) in the next couple years.

Jaer
    borrowed his Dad's Trailblazer for this camping trip (the camp site is apparently off a dirt road which goes through a creek--the Soul could make it, we think, but why risk it), and driving the Trailblazer always makes him want one. He likes how high it sits, and the space inside for all the camping supplies (like the coolers needed for taco dip and brownies....) is great!

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Ditto on the "weak is relative". Your strength will come back quickly.

Have fun camping. Hopefully the storms won't be too bad where you are tonight. The rest of the weekend should be great.